Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
vw bugs and buses.

As a kid they were literally the most common vehicles on the road. Even up to the early/mid 90's they were everywhere. Today? I haven't seen one outside of a car show in ages. Every now and then see a bus parked overgrown with weeds in someone's yard, but on the road? Never. This came up the other day when someone mentioned the "slug bug" game kids used to play. What the hell do they play now on road trips? Probably glued to a phone the entire time was our consensus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

Breakfast Feud posted:

Holy poo poo. I remember as a kid that punch buggy/slug bug was actually feasible. It wasn't like crazy common but enough that you'd get a few good hits in on a field trip.

In the 70's and early 80's you'd get a hit at least every block or two in the city. Sometimes more. It got ugly. Big bruises on the shoulders, haha

When we were discussing this game the other day, none of us had thought of it in years. Seems like it would be impossible to play today. Remember the license plate game on road trips? They had little coloring book style sheets with the plates of all 50 states you would fill in as you spotted them on road trips. Fun poo poo at the time. I bet they can still play that today? Except again: phones now have entertainment duties I bet.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Number_6 posted:

These are all older, but they were still plentiful in my childhood and basically extinct as far as driveable cars now:

Le Car

All good ones!

but I don't think the LeCars even survived the 80's. Had a friend who had one and pieces of a bunch of others around 93/94. Literally impossible to find parts even at that time.

Has anyone mentioned datsun b210s? Those and honda cvcc's used to be fuckin everywhere in the 70's and early 80's. All rusted and gone back to the earth by the late 80's/1990.

• Locked thread