Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agent355 posted:

I don't play magic but I'd definitely not allow you to take back more often than not. Of course I'd be nicer about it and feel guilty for doing so but rules are important!

I would if it was a casual game, but if it was a competition with prizes on the line I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

It was a casual draft with a prize for the winner so I get it, but thought to ask anyhow. I'm not surprised he wouldn't allow a gimme.

It was entirely his garbage attitude, not the "no take backs" policy that I was irritated by.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda the antithesis of the thread, but all these horror stories about Magic groups makes me proud of how, for lack of a better term, normal mine was. Like, we were generally competitive and knew the rules for poo poo like FNM (and higher tournaments for those who were good), but we never had issues with rules lawyers being assholes to children. If a kid didn't understand the nuances, you taught them.

Worst we had was a dude who got pissy when he lost ("you didn't win, I lost!"), but even then it was isolated to just that guy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AD&D 2e forever

Except that I haven't played it in probably at least 15 years and have no interest in doing so

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm in a new area and the local store was getting into Warmachine. I've been playing for about 6 years at this point and generally play at a tournament level.

To get new players engaged they were running little tournaments every Saturday night with a prize of $30 in store credit and no buy in, so I figured what the heck, this will pay for my kids Pokemon cards at Christmas.

The first week I went, I was getting to know the group and you have some normal guys and your usual weirdos, but nothing too bad. I would help the people I was playing with with rule interactions and order of operations and whatnot, and by the end of the night people that I wasn't playing with were coming to ask me rules questions (as the guy running it was also running a Magic tournament). Had fun and easy win.

The next week it's more of the same, except I'm answering all the rules questions from the get go - not a problem, I've worked at game stores before and like building a community and helping others. I'm in game 2 of the night and right at the start of a turn a kid from the next table over asked me some questions so I probably spent about 10 minutes with them going over the rule, why it worked that why, and the exceptions to it.

When I got back I continued my turn and about a minute in, I realized I had forgot to allocate my focus (give magic points to magic robots) at the start of the turn. As I've given everyone do-overs and take backs (including 3 to the guy I was playing), I went ahead and laughed and started to allocate the focus and he goes "umm, no you can only allocate focus at the start of the turn". Boy, I never went from a nice, casual game to hard core tournament dick faster. gently caress that guy.

Still won.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Agent355 posted:

I don't play magic but I'd definitely not allow you to take back more often than not. Of course I'd be nicer about it and feel guilty for doing so but rules are important!

Bloody Lawful types! :argh:

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
I know I'm gonna regret posting this because this one's on me, but whatever. I went to a local card/game shop with a buddy of mine who had been there many times before. I had never been, but we were going to be playing D&D for the first time and I was gonna be buying my very own set of dice. I was unbelievable stoked. The girl behind the register is pretty cute, but I'm just talking with my buddy and not really paying attention to the transaction.
Suddenly, she taps me on the shoulder and says "Hey, what's your number?"
My mind basically froze, and I said something like "Uh, I barely know you, though..."
She glares at me, and points at the register's screen, which is asking me to type in my phone number. I say "Sorry! Didn't realize!" and punch it in.
She's still glaring at me, and says, real quiet, "My boyfriend's over there, you know," pointing to some guy in the back. "He's right there. You wanna talk to him?"
"Uh, no, no thanks."
"Because I can bring him over here, you know."
"No, fine, message received, thanks."
"You sure?"
"Yeah. Crystal clear, thanks."
She legit sneererd at me as we walked out the door... I guess that kind of defensive behavior is what happens when you get hit on by weird nerds all day long. Made me really uncomfortable, though.

Edit: oh, and the dudes behind the counter were shouting out harry potter spells the whole time

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

LOL that's rough, but you don't come off to bad, just an awkward mistake and at least your position was "it's too soon."

Games stores suck by and large. My best friend (a girl) would get poo poo all the time but guys trying to show off their knowledge while working at the comic shop... because they thought making GBS threads on someone would be a turn on. She knew her poo poo and would shut them down but like imagine dealing with that non-stop.

My ex-boss at the shop I worked at let me go to give hours to another employee but didn't tell me, I found out from the other employee when I bought tried to change some shifts. Found out later he then hired my recent ex-girlfriend because he thought she was attractive and would help business. Apparently it backfired because her knowledge was limited to the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay and a few books in got her into and all the nerds were to scared to do more than gawk at her. There's a lot of misogyny in the field.

Re d&d chat I find the hardest part is getting 5 people's schedules to line up for a free night.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

UWBW posted:

I know I'm gonna regret posting this because this one's on me, but whatever. I went to a local card/game shop with a buddy of mine who had been there many times before. I had never been, but we were going to be playing D&D for the first time and I was gonna be buying my very own set of dice. I was unbelievable stoked. The girl behind the register is pretty cute, but I'm just talking with my buddy and not really paying attention to the transaction.
My mind basically froze, and I said something like "Uh, I barely know you, though..."
She glares at me, and points at the register's screen, which is asking me to type in my phone number. I say "Sorry! Didn't realize!" and punch it in.
She's still glaring at me, and says, real quiet, "My boyfriend's over there, you know," pointing to some guy in the back. "He's right there. You wanna talk to him?"
"Uh, no, no thanks."
"You sure?"
She legit sneererd at me as we walked out the door... I guess that kind of defensive behavior is what happens when you get hit on by weird nerds all day long. Made me really uncomfortable, though.

Edit: oh, and the dudes behind the counter were shouting out harry potter spells the whole time
You should have had her call him over and then beat his rear end

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
That's pretty much the game store equivalent of "Enjoy your meal!" "You too!"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

UWBW posted:

"Uh, no, no thanks."
"You sure?"

Nah actually this is 100% on her. Not downplaying the amount of poo poo women and girls get in nerdy hobbies but "I'll get my boyfriend to beat you up" isn't a suitable response to kind of a funny misunderstanding, especially when you're a loving store clerk.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

UWBW posted:

"Uh, no, no thanks."
"You sure?"

You ain't in the wrong here, and thanks for sharing this sort of thing.

My local nerd poo poo place has a really bad problem with stalky clerks. I don't really want to talk about stuff when I'm just killing time shopping, but they seem to take every pull-this-down-and-look-at-it as an opportunity to launch into a conversation about the multiverse associated with whatever I've picked up, and they don't seem to take "I'm just browsing" or "I've never seen it" for an answer. I've stopped going because I never actually wanted any of the stuff that was on sale, I just liked looking at it, and every single time I'd be talked at by the kind of person who constantly and overtly stares at your girlfriend's chest.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
My LGS is filled with assholes. I might actually be one of them but the owner at my LGS has my side on a lot of things and agrees there are things I can do to kinda push them away from the store (Basically, their toxicity is what is killing his store).

I know last week I basically won FNM by taking my sweet time, ignoring them getting pissed, and right before the timer goes out start playing a lot faster and working around their builds to secure a win. No need for another round, I won by one point and it sucks to be you. Dick!

Another awful expierence was when I first started playing Magic. Kaladesh released and I had the extra money. Diddnt know how to play so I bought a standard deck and signed up. One guy with wayyyyy too much money on his hands plays with nothing but Japanese, Korean, Russian cards or whatever. So I had no loving clue what cards he was using, or what they actually done. I had complaints about that the week before and once again, the owner gives me the idea to bore him out of the game by calling an Oracle, and had him read every single card that guy played out. So that is what I did, and after awhile he signed his name on the slip and dropped out. Storming out of the store.

Going from worst expierence to at least having some good out of playing this game. I have met some really good and chill people, and usually if we are not at the store doing our own thing, we always meet up at a kitchen table and have dinner. Overall a much better experience.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Katamari Democracy posted:

I know last week I basically won FNM by taking my sweet time, ignoring them getting pissed, and right before the timer goes out start playing a lot faster and working around their builds to secure a win. No need for another round, I won by one point and it sucks to be you. Dick!
So, blatantly cheating? "Players must take their turns in a timely fashion regardless of the complexity of the play situation and adhere to time limits specified for the tournament. Players must maintain a pace to allow the match to be finished in the announced time limit. Stalling is not acceptable."

Katamari Democracy posted:

One guy with wayyyyy too much money on his hands plays with nothing but Japanese, Korean, Russian cards or whatever. So I had no loving clue what cards he was using, or what they actually done.
"Players may use otherwise-legal non-English and/or misprinted cards provided they are not using them to create an advantage by using misleading text or pictures." If you've got a couple of foreign cards and your happy to let your opponent check the English version to make sure they know what it does, you're fine. If you're playing an entirely foreign deck to confuse your opponent you're pretty obviously cheating.

The judge should have told you to play at a reasonable pace and never allowed the all-foreign-cards deck to begin with. You're not allowed to delay to avoid losing and you're not allowed to hide what your cards are.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

So, blatantly cheating? "Players must take their turns in a timely fashion regardless of the complexity of the play situation and adhere to time limits specified for the tournament. Players must maintain a pace to allow the match to be finished in the announced time limit. Stalling is not acceptable."

"Players may use otherwise-legal non-English and/or misprinted cards provided they are not using them to create an advantage by using misleading text or pictures." If you've got a couple of foreign cards and your happy to let your opponent check the English version to make sure they know what it does, you're fine. If you're playing an entirely foreign deck to confuse your opponent you're pretty obviously cheating.

The judge should have told you to play at a reasonable pace and never allowed the all-foreign-cards deck to begin with. You're not allowed to delay to avoid losing and you're not allowed to hide what your cards are.

I one a soccer game once, I was down a few points so I just picked up the ball and walked home

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Dumb quick story which is actually one of my more embarrassing moments:

One time I was in San Francisco and I really wanted the new DnD books (this was when 3 had just come out). I was like dying for them, because my friends and I used to play DnD and I would be the first one to have them!

So I went into this bookstore with my parents, totally excited.

I asked the cashier "Do you have the new Dungeons and Dragons books somewhere?"

He looked at me kinda funny and said "... do you perhaps have an interest in architecture books?"

And I looked at him funny, sorta scoffed and rolled my eyes, and said "no." and walked away.

Turns out I was at this bookstore: http://www.stoutbooks.com/cgi-bin/stoutbooks.cgi/index.html

It's a bookstore devoted to architecture and design

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

UWBW posted:

"Uh, no, no thanks."
"You sure?"

Absolutely don't blame you for de-escalating, but no way was whoever she pointed at gonna assault you in a D&D shop because you didn't wanna give your phone number.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Creepiest story: Young teenager, in a school uniform, braces, pimples, everything you can imagine of a nerdy kid and not some guy's waifu tsundere schoolgirl fapfantasy, and I hear one of those neat gaming stores has opened up in the local shopping centre. I'm not too interested, but they have figurines of dragons, and my friend really likes dragons! Maybe I can get her a cute little one for her birthday!

I obliviously stroll in, and you can hear the record scratch as the guys behind the counter, and the guys playing on the table in the middle of the store, all turn their heads towards me. I backed out after about three seconds of creepy adult leering and the assistant getting unprofessionally close to me while asking if I needed help. The shopping centre was close to a bunch of local girl schools, and unsurprisingly the place had an awful reputation by the time it folded.

Funniest story: Nintendo store, pokemon area. I was picking up a cute stuffed eevee toy for Christmas when the most steotypical fat, white neckbeard with an ill-fitting trilby on approached me, to sneer down at me and ask did I even know what a pokemon was. Yes, someone honestly tried to nerdcheck a person about that rarest of childhood fandoms: pokemon. In the pokemon store. Honestly, anyone with a trilby should just be fed to the dogs.

All my other nerd stories are variations on "Man comes over, man begins indepth interrogation on thing I am looking at to see whether I know anything about it, because he knows more, and then he recommends me the much better stuff that he likes because my tastes are awful, occasionally waving hand in front of face if I'm wearing headphones."

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My worst nerd store experience was when I had to wait five seconds for the guy at the counter (Pretty sure he's the owner, I've never asked) to say "Haha hey great talking to you but I have some customers here, I'll call you back later" and hang up before he greeted me to check out with a couple comic books and then he suggested a few other I might enjoy based on what I said I was into.

My local nerd store is pretty good I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We've had some poo poo luck with gamestores in this area. One of them was called The Keep and opened because the guy and his friends wanted a place to play their games. The location and building were really good places but the staff and stock were not. They have a demo shelf where you could grab a game and just play it which is a great idea except they didn't actually carry any of the games, so you couldn't play this really fun game, buy it, then play it that night with friends. God help you if you wanted to actually pay for things because WoW was serious and took priority when it came to ringing up customers.

But the worst story is we we're there on night for a casual free for all game of multiplayer magic. It has been like four hours and it was down to the final two players one of which was my friend and I said to him "don't stop believing and you can win." And I hear from behind me on the other side of the store the guy working yell "WHO JUST QUOTED JOURNEY IN MY STORE!?" dude got legitimately furious about that line. Furious enough he interrupted his story about slapping the rear end of a Babylon 5 actress at a convention once. After he stopped bitching my friend won and I don't think I went back before it closed a couple months later.

After that a couple customers opened a place in a storage locker called The Labyrinth. I only went there once but it was in a storage locker and smelled like sweaty nerd.

There was a really good, fun store called Purity Gaming. Dude was opened for like 6 months, had paid off what he put into it, and was cash flow positive when his wife made him choose her or the store and he chose her.

Universal Comics has been open for as long as I can remember but the owner hates comics and magic so I don't know why. He's in a nice suburb and brings a loving fun to work for protection. The only thing he's got going is rumor has it he breaks street date for his regulars.

And grown rear end men in magic tournaments rolling teenagers with no idea of the intricate ins and outs is tradition. It's the cycle of "no kid gently caress you" where they have a lovely life and take it out in any way they can on people. When I was 14 there was a guy at the good store who did poo poo like that. His like was a joke, he had to sleep on the couch because his wife would frequently be furious at how much he'd spend on magic cards just to sell the deck first time he'd loose. And you can be your rear end this four year old would use stupid combos and not correct his opponent if they were understanding the board state wrong.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

PCOS Bill posted:

My worst nerd store experience was when I had to wait five seconds for the guy at the counter (Pretty sure he's the owner, I've never asked) to say "Haha hey great talking to you but I have some customers here, I'll call you back later" and hang up before he greeted me to check out with a couple comic books and then he suggested a few other I might enjoy based on what I said I was into.

To be fair, I've seen some spectacular meltdowns involving everything up to, but not including, physical violence (largely from women) because the clerk spent, literally, three seconds more than they would like to serve them when preoccupied with another task.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Next to the Drafthouse a video game shop opened up and my nieces and I went in one night and it was a bunch of old crappy couches and older tvs to play games on. They had lots of games and systems and it cost like 8 bucks an hour and they had snacks you could buy. There was like 6 people there when we went and it sort of smelled. The place lasted like 6 months total.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Tiggum posted:

So, blatantly cheating?

This wasn't some big tournament. It was a LGS FNM. I have gotten a lot better (And faster) since then.

drink Dr Pepper actually
Oct 11, 2012
I think I was the worst nerd store experience for one LGS owner when I was a kid. His little hole in the wall store was the only place that reliably got Toyfare, so I'd call every month multiple times a week to check if he had the newest issue yet. He was the friendliest guy, though. Store's still there, too. I hope he's doing well.

There was a nerd store in a mall that had a pretty lovely owner. It was mostly a sports memorabilia place (the kind where no one ever buys anything and it's just for the owner to show off his signed jerseys) but the guy had a small selection of Pokemon cards. This was during the height of the card game's popularity, and there was a tournament going on in the mall at the time, so you'd have kids coming in to sell or trade cards. With the younger kids who came in alone, he'd ask to inspect their holo cards for scratches, then put it behind the counter and tell them to get the gently caress out or he'd call security. There was only one time where a parent had been nearby and tried to raise a stink, but since they hadn't actually been present in the store, security wouldn't believe them.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Me, listening to people complain about Kingdom Death Monster before today:

"I know there's a lot of titty figures and whatnot in the game, but it's steeped in gothic horror, and both straightforward and twisted sexuality is a major part of the aesthetic. I'd definitely prefer it if it wasn't anime at all, true, but that's a personal aesthetic choice. And as I understand it most of the really egregious stuff is basically impossible to find, since it was limited to certain tiers of Kickstarter backers. Weird dick monsters and big-booby fighters are cool, get over it."

Kingdom Death Monster posted:

Nightmare Breast Pump

Me, today: "Nope, nope, gently caress that, I'm good thanks."

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I got really into magic about 7 years ago. And, the shop that I played at had a lot of really cool normal people. There was a weirdo every now and then.

There was this one guy who you could smell several feet away. The owner had to take him aside and told him that he needs to shower more often or just not come into the store.

There was also this very large man in his 40s who would hit on my friend who was in her early 20s. He would bring this large tupperware container full of spaghetti, balance it on his lap, and eat while playing Magic. He was a gross person, but I always felt sorry for him, because he seemed really lonely.

There was also a time at a pre-release where someone played a new really big type of monster (an eldrazi) and I just happened to have the card in my hand to kill it immediately. The guy got so mad he pushed all his cards off the table. It was very abrupt and he had seemed alright before that point.

But, all in all, that store was really fun, with a overall good crowd and friendly owners.

Then, I moved and struggled to find a new place to play. I was in a bigger city and it seemed like all the stores were full of people were more into winning than having a good time. Eventually I found a shop with really personable owners, so I started playing there. It wasn't as fun as the previous shop, but it was alright.

The story that stands out to me from this store was when I saw a guy in his early 30s/late 20s playing against someone around 13s year old. The 13 year old had to mulligan a few times. (In magic if you have a bad starting hand you can draw a new hand, but get one less card each time you do. Mulliganing more than once is usually an indicator the match isn't going to go well for you, but is sometimes still the right choice.)

In the end the 13 year old won and the older guy was pretty sour about it. The older guy said he only won because he got lucky, and that the only way to win after mulligans is luck. I was right there and said that it looked like the winner made some good risky decisions that paid off. The older didn't say anything and just got up and left after packing up his things. The kid then gave me a foil common, which I felt bad taking, but he insisted on giving it to me and just laid it on the table before leaving, so I took it.

That's the thing that bothers me the most about Magic players. So many people can't stand the thought that someone could beat them. And they have this need to do all this hemming and hawing about "I would have won if X". "You only won because of Y". I just want people to have a good time. I would rather build a community of people that I enjoy playing with and seeing every week than having to convince everyone I'm actually the best and any game where I lose is an illegitimate game for some reason or another.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it's the "you didn't win correctly" thing, like when professional poker players lose to some rando. They know Magic, they should win, and if they don't, they kvetch about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My local nerd shop is actually pretty nice. Probably because it's in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get there by bus. Keeps people from hanging around too long, plus they have a good selection of Gundam models. Back when there was still a Games Workshop store in the mall, there was a creepy as gently caress manager we called Petey the Pedophile because he took an intense interest in the younger kids who came into the shop.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I just remembered the time I was severely disappointed in an owner of a shop I judged at, because after ringing up a rather attractive woman, he looked at me and said something along the lines of, "I'd really like her to sit on my face sometime."

I didn't call him out, but just smiled and nodded. He always seemed like such a good and funny guy, so that made me sad.

I also just remembered a time I was judging there. This guy had these sleeves and this mat of clearly prepubescent anime girls in very skimpy bathing suits. It was disgusting to have to look at, and distressing that he was comfortable enough with these things that he wanted to be seen with them.He even referred to his mat as his "Jail Bait" mat without any shame at all.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

quote:

I guess I will just have to mention my brief GMing to the brazilian police death squad.

Everything begun at my local gameclub (by local I mean the only one in a 4,000,000 people city) some five years ago. This club was run by a fellow hobbyist on weekends, was located at a big avenue and had a large 'Camelot' plaque hanging over the door with the picture of a knight. Needlessly to say it attracted a lot of curious people. Well, at the end of a saturday afternoon of particularly intense WEG Star Wars playing I was approached by this timid skinny guy in his late twenties. He had been watching the entire session and was almost apologetic about coming forward to talk to me. Anyway he lived just 3 blocks away and he loved "games", so he wanted someone to GM a game for him and his "work colleagues". They had never roleplayed before. He seemed a nice, clean, eager-to-play guy, so I invited him and his buddies for a AD&D game in the club, the following night.

Nothing would have prepared me and the other player (the club owner) for the cast of foul characters arriving at the club the next night. Just to contextualize the many non-brazilian readers in this thread, there are two kinds of police in Brazil: the semi-illiterate oppressive superviolent military police, and the corrupt immoral wiseguy detective/mobster types from the civilian police. These guys were the second type.

These four men (the skinny guy only showed up later) were villain prototypes and had intimidation skill points worth entire 20th level characters. Even when they nicely said hello they had menace written all over their foreheads. It was night, but they were dressed like beach tourists, wearing soccer team t-shirts and sandals. There were so much male jewelry as to make Mr. T look like a girl playing childīs bijouterie. All of them had pistols attached at strategic holsters in their bodies, at least one of them had knives, and all of them were anxious to play the nice "game of dice".

I should see the size of the problem when a huge black man put two bottles of smuggled whisky on top of the table we would play. He seriously asked me if that was booze enough for all of us (two bottles for 7 people). I replied I didnīt drink. He said he would freeze the liquid for me to eat it and his mouth opened in a big smile filled with golden teeth.

Anyway the quarreling began when I showed them the pre-gen characters. All of them "wanted to be the master". There were also quarreling about who would get which character (they were choosing by the pictures). But that was mild quarreling and they calmed down as their heavy drinking and joint smoking ensued. Oh, and they also loved the dice.

The game finally began at the tavern where I had planned the characters to meet and the players to familiarize themselves with the blessed and (to them) newly-perceived freedom a player has in a RPG. They caught on fast enough with IC dialogue, and besides the incessant joint passing and abusive drinking the players were concentrated, with cellphones turned off and all.

Thatīs when the prostitutes arrived.

Unknowingly to me and the club owner, skinny guy had arranged for two prostitutes, old acquaintances of these guys, to meet at my friendīs gaming club. Things went downhill from there, with the women disrupting the game and the telling of IC mixed with OOC murder stories. By this point my friend made the second mistake of the evening, trying to stop the game by telling me he was late and had to close the club and stuff. The murderous cops didnīt take his intentions well, and started to get all serious and quiet, trying to intimidate my friend. After all, he wasnīt being a nice host, since they had brought the booze, the girls, the drugs and the guns, and they were not going to leave before knowing "who won" anyway, since everyone of them had (of course) bet 50 bucks his character would "win".

So I wrapped things up by having an all-out combat between the characters, while a detective banged one of the girls against a wall 4 feet away. The winner got 200 bucks and a knuckle-duster, they all had a blast and left me and my shaking buddy glad we were left alive . We never saw any of them again, not even skinny guy.

Maybe not too creepy, but then again my experience is limited.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

My local nerd shop is actually pretty nice. Probably because it's in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get there by bus. Keeps people from hanging around too long, plus they have a good selection of Gundam models. Back when there was still a Games Workshop store in the mall, there was a creepy as gently caress manager we called Petey the Pedophile because he took an intense interest in the younger kids who came into the shop.

The nicest places are the ones without bus stops.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Gross Dude posted:

I didn't call him out

For future reference, male and male presenting goons- call this poo poo out. Nodding and smiling because you don't want to make a scene just makes them think that it's acceptable to do this. You can just say "hey, not cool" and leave it at that, but please call them out on it, make it easier on those of us that are the target of these kinds of comments.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh no guy talk, the worst thing on the planet!

Tune in to any sitcom and listen to two women talk about the bones they want to jump on and that's A-OKAY to broadcast though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh no guy talk, the worst thing on the planet!

Tune in to any sitcom and listen to two women talk about the bones they want to jump on and that's A-OKAY to broadcast though.

Guy talk is for your friends, not random people buying poo poo from your store.

My friend can say "Holy gently caress, did you see the rack on her? She could smother me anyday." Some random store owner probably shouldn't say that to me, and if he did, I would be weirded out.

Fake edit: Lol, replying to PCOS Bill

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

Guy talk is for your friends, not random people buying poo poo from your store.

My friend can say "Holy gently caress, did you see the rack on her? She could smother me anyday." Some random store owner probably shouldn't say that to me, and if he did, I would be weirded out.

Fake edit: Lol, replying to PCOS Bill

Guy talk is for any time two guys talk, bro. Unclench a little.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Sociopastry posted:

For future reference, male and male presenting goons- call this poo poo out. Nodding and smiling because you don't want to make a scene just makes them think that it's acceptable to do this. You can just say "hey, not cool" and leave it at that, but please call them out on it, make it easier on those of us that are the target of these kinds of comments.

I agree with you all the way. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but I do regret not saying something. I know that's not worth anything though, :smith:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

PCOS Bill posted:

You're the weirdo in several peoples stories, aren't you?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

omnibobb posted:

You're the weirdo in several peoples stories, aren't you?

If you look around the game store and can't see the weirdo, it's you.

PCOS Bill posted:

Aww, poor little snowflake can't take even the slightest amount of indirect criticism.

If your idea of "guy talk" is telling random strangers that you'd totally do that girl, you need to find actual friends.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol at responding to PCOS Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i visited a model kit store in i want to say 2012 because my brother and I were feeling nostalgic and the guy at the counter walked up and went into a five minute long story about how the store was suffering and people were saying bad things about either him or some other employee online like that he was unfriendly and creepy so now he had to approach everybody which I guess he tacked on because we looked confused. he asked us a lot of questions about what kind of western and asian tat we liked and i felt for the guy and grabbed a kit and a ten dollar pair of plastic tree removal pliers. Anyway my brother doesn't know how to end a conversation while I was grabbing things and by the time I got to the register he was in the middle of a treatise on his feelings re: tentacle porn and I cut him off there and put the model back and just bought the pliers i still have in my desk organizer. Somehow that store is still in business today after two decades and several downgrades in locations and shop space and that dude is probably long gone.

• Locked thread