Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
The poster for the new Hype! is cool af.
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1780359052213801023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Rossy definitely doesn't have WWE backing yet but he's trying his damndest to get it. I don't really see a reason why they would give it to him though. Maybe if his promotion really takes off big and/or he's able to get a couple more big names from Stardom for it but I just don't think there's enough money in it for WWE to be involved in a financial way right now. Too bad for Triple H that the company got merged with Endeavor before he could enact his global takeover strategy because you know if it were up to only him he'd have already done it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

mooseinfants posted:

Rossy definitely doesn't have WWE backing yet but he's trying his damndest to get it. I don't really see a reason why they would give it to him though. Maybe if his promotion really takes off big and/or he's able to get a couple more big names from Stardom for it but I just don't think there's enough money in it for WWE to be involved in a financial way right now. Too bad for Triple H that the company got merged with Endeavor before he could enact his global takeover strategy because you know if it were up to only him he'd have already done it.

As things stand right now this is my read of the situation. He's fishing for the wwe to get involved plus using the wwe name to get some buzz.

Outside of triple h thinks it would be cool I don't really see why any outsider would want to enter the Japanese market. It's highly saturated with promotions, touring based, the Tokyo market is by some margin the biggest and last year there was on average 21 shows a week there. So getting eyeballs onto the product isn't easy

Plus most importantly there isn't tons of money and margins are chewed up by wages because everything is so competitive

Maybe he really wants it and tko is like fine slap an nxt logo on rossys promotion but once you get into actually competition it's a lot of money for very little reward. Bushiroad is spending like 40m a year to maybe get 2m back as profit

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i bet they have an understanding where rossy has to swim and then wwe will come in after it's already a success but they sold it to him differently

$400

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 17, 2024

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Perhaps the change in WWE ownership/management is making me assume that they have changed more than they have but frankly I think there's a third middle option that isn't 'no WWE involvement' or 'NXT Japan coming tomorrow'. NXT Japan never made business sense from a pure profit/loss basis and that is clearly what TKO are thinking of: that's why they are running so many shows internationally (fun fact: the first WWE PPV held in the US after Wrestlemania is Summerslam - they've got Backlash in France, then the Saudi show, then the Glasgow show, then Money in the Bank in Toronto (which is July - I suspect that's the biggest gap they've had in both US and North American PPVs since going monthly with them); then Summerslam on 3rd August with the next show after that being in Berlin. This feels like a company that might (if they get government backing or someone else buys the show) run a big PPV in Tokyo which they wouldn't have done previously; but not one that is ready to spend millions on subsidising another promotion.

However WWE might look at the AEW partnerships with NJPW + Cyberfight which for them appears to have only been successful in terms of them getting talent plus building hype for shows (thinking of Forbidden Door here) while also giving them a leg up over WWE in contract negotiations by offering the chance to work Japan or Mexico or wherever. If you are WWE you can simply do that right: it doesn't need some WWE Performance Centre in Tokyo, it doesn't need you to hire lots of people; all it really requires is to perhaps send some cash and talent over to said partner every so often and then perhaps bringing them in. Its WWE so I am sceptical of it working longer term as none of their partnerships have but in a post-Vince world the idea of WWE management thinking 'why do we NEED to build our own thing in Japan to work with people there' doesn't seem outlandish to me.

Almost certainly is not a good thing to have both US promotions working in this way: it certainly hasn't made the discourse around this that great because you have a lot of the WWE vs AEW stuff leaking through.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Burn Down Canberra posted:

As things stand right now this is my read of the situation. He's fishing for the wwe to get involved plus using the wwe name to get some buzz.

Outside of triple h thinks it would be cool I don't really see why any outsider would want to enter the Japanese market. It's highly saturated with promotions, touring based, the Tokyo market is by some margin the biggest and last year there was on average 21 shows a week there. So getting eyeballs onto the product isn't easy

Plus most importantly there isn't tons of money and margins are chewed up by wages because everything is so competitive

Maybe he really wants it and tko is like fine slap an nxt logo on rossys promotion but once you get into actually competition it's a lot of money for very little reward. Bushiroad is spending like 40m a year to maybe get 2m back as profit

I feel like this is a partially correct read, but at the same time, Ari Emmanuel has never been shy to say that he sees Japan as a lucrative market to break into. And Rossy wanting that WWE partnership while not entirely likely, can't be ruled out either. Especially since WWE plans on running some sort of event over there this year, according to Iyo in an interview she did last year, and Natalya over Wrestlemania weekend. There are still a handful of PLEs which don't have locations announced yet.

Anyways, speaking of Rossy, strong ticket sales for the Marigold debut event:

https://twitter.com/Himanshu_Doi/status/1780514546979111320

I don't expect them to stay this strong, but if they manage to stick in this general range for their big shows, they'll do fine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Absolute Legend Kenta Kobashi has been annoucing the card for his next Fortune Dream produce show, & he's giving us Team 200kg vs Meiko Satomura & Takumi Iroha, because he's the best.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It's Dave Meltzer so take it with a grain of salt, but an update on Marigold, Giulia, and WWE in a special report he posted up about 45 minutes ago:

quote:

But this is not a situation where it will be Giulia only working two months in Japan and leaving. She’s actually planned to be the face of the company for a while, but there is an agreement where she’ll be working NXT and Marigold together until eventually going to NXT full-time. Once she starts with NXT she, with one exception due to a prior commitment, would no longer be working in Japan for anyone but Marigold.

He also mentioned that Rossy has talked with Triple H about getting Iyo and Kairi for at least one big Marigold show this year, and it's not improbable to happen. As for the Giulia stuff above, he mentioned that its fully expected that she's going to work both Marigold and NXT for the foreseeable future.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

I feel like this is a partially correct read, but at the same time, Ari Emmanuel has never been shy to say that he sees Japan as a lucrative market to break into. And Rossy wanting that WWE partnership while not entirely likely, can't be ruled out either. Especially since WWE plans on running some sort of event over there this year, according to Iyo in an interview she did last year, and Natalya over Wrestlemania weekend. There are still a handful of PLEs which don't have locations announced yet.

Anyways, speaking of Rossy, strong ticket sales for the Marigold debut event:

I don't expect them to stay this strong, but if they manage to stick in this general range for their big shows, they'll do fine.

Japan is the second most lucrative market for pro wrestling on earth but its also everything the big US promotions are moving away from. It's also significantly smaller than the US markets. I doubt the entire industry makes more than 2 to 3 times revenue than what bushiroad makes from wrestling which puts it in an around 100m dollars a year.

Is this really worth the effort with all the above issues

you just posted that marigold is selling well but it's gonna be (depending on configuration) like 1500 people at korakuen. This is a market where the not njpw promotions might sell 2k+ a handful of times a year. Even if they were njpw they do their fair share of sub 1000 gates.

Dragongate in 2019 did about 110k people at the box office in total from about 180 shows so about 600 people on average. That's the second strongest promotion in japan at the time pre covid.

This is your biggest money maker in Japan. Isn't this precisely what US wrestling wants to move away from..

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

IceAgeComing posted:

However WWE might look at the AEW partnerships with NJPW + Cyberfight which for them appears to have only been successful in terms of them getting talent plus building hype for shows (thinking of Forbidden Door here) while also giving them a leg up over WWE in contract negotiations by offering the chance to work Japan or Mexico or wherever. If you are WWE you can simply do that right: it doesn't need some WWE Performance Centre in Tokyo, it doesn't need you to hire lots of people; all it really requires is to perhaps send some cash and talent over to said partner every so often and then perhaps bringing them in. Its WWE so I am sceptical of it working longer term as none of their partnerships have but in a post-Vince world the idea of WWE management thinking 'why do we NEED to build our own thing in Japan to work with people there' doesn't seem outlandish to me.

I guess this is possible but I still wonder what WWE's benefit is here. If it's to even the playing field with AEW in terms of signing prospects well they just got their main target Guilia with no competition from AEW, and personally I don't see them trying to sign a bunch of Joshi, because... If the point of this is to have a place to send their PC trainees on a brief excursion, well, I guess I just don't buy that since I really don't think WWE wants their wrestlers wrestling the Joshi style.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Japan is the second most lucrative market for pro wrestling on earth but its also everything the big US promotions are moving away from. It's also significantly smaller than the US markets. I doubt the entire industry makes more than 2 to 3 times revenue than what bushiroad makes from wrestling which puts it in an around 100m dollars a year.

Is this really worth the effort with all the above issues

you just posted that marigold is selling well but it's gonna be (depending on configuration) like 1500 people at korakuen. This is a market where the not njpw promotions might sell 2k+ a handful of times a year. Even if they were njpw they do their fair share of sub 1000 gates.

Dragongate in 2019 did about 110k people at the box office in total from about 180 shows so about 600 people on average. That's the second strongest promotion in japan at the time pre covid.

This is your biggest money maker in Japan. Isn't this precisely what US wrestling wants to move away from..

I think WWE would try and push for a major PLE at the Tokyo Dome or a stadium. Not saying I like it, but WWE sees itself as a global brand. The other benefit for them is that they will likely get the first right to pick up talent from Marigold.

mooseinfants posted:

I guess this is possible but I still wonder what WWE's benefit is here. If it's to even the playing field with AEW in terms of signing prospects well they just got their main target Guilia with no competition from AEW, and personally I don't see them trying to sign a bunch of Joshi, because... If the point of this is to have a place to send their PC trainees on a brief excursion, well, I guess I just don't buy that since I really don't think WWE wants their wrestlers wrestling the Joshi style.

See, I think the thing to me that sticks out about the Giulia signing is that Fightful has reported that her in ring style and presentation is going to be almost entirely unchanged, and she's apparently even keeping her current ring name as well. I can see WWE sending some of their talent over on excursion, especially if said talent is willing to do so. I know Karmen Petrovic who works in NXT right now, is incredibly interested in working that style. And Natayla has openly said she would love to go out on an excursion.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

There is a world of difference between running a couple of big shows (which the wwe did regularly enough pre covid) a year and nxt Japan.

For the record the wwe run ryogoku with a smaller configuration than njpw would run it in 2019. I'd expect the wwe due to not touring for half a decade would do pretty solid business but the Tokyo dome is a tough ask

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the numbers WWE does on Abema running Tokyo Dome would be crazy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wonder whats going on with SUKEBAN...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

STING 64 posted:

So do the owners of Sukeban

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

STING 64 posted:

waiting for new hats and screwing up others booking plans by holding visas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I cannot subscribe to Stardom World and it’s very annoying. I’ve tried a bunch of different browsers, phone and desktop, nothing. The workaround for reversing month/year on the expiration date doesn’t work either because it’s a drop down menu now. It sucks!!!