Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Also a reminder to actually read the stipulation because the entire tournament system is loving wild as hell and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Lamuella posted:

Itoh already eats for free at the restaurant because the cooks are simps.

daily reminder that maki itoh's canonicaly diet is exclusively mcdonalds and monster energy drink.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Can't help but notice that Maki Itoh isn't on either team :thunkher:

She has a scheduling conflict but not sure what it could be given she's wrestling the day before

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'd make a ChocoPro booking joke but there is no way famous rock star Maki Itoh would be awake for a 6 am call time.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

karmicknight posted:

I'd make a ChocoPro booking joke but there is no way famous rock star Maki Itoh would be awake for a 6 am call time.

she would do what i do when i need to be up at 6am, just not sleep and drink a bunch of energy drinks.

in reality she is probably doing a random idol/modeling thing or she's going to aew/stardom/marvelous/new japan for a shock appearance.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

karmicknight posted:

What makes you think she wouldn't still be up? Are you calling her a lightweight?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

karmicknight posted:

There is a rumour that Itoh got secret training from Emi

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Considering who is in charge of TJPW; it would not surprise me if she gave secret training to more than one person.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

did manami toyota manage to not break her neck during her entire career?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ringo Roadagain posted:

did manami toyota manage to not break her neck during her entire career?

She shares the same iron neck genes as Kota Ibushi

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Secret Asian Mat, SecretAsianMat,
They've trained you up with Emi

can't quite make this work

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

the idea of maki itoh deciding one day to become good at wrestling and having secret training sessions with emi is so good its going into the official maki itoh lore.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the idea of maki itoh deciding one day to become good at wrestling and having secret training sessions with emi is so good its going into the official maki itoh lore.

you love to see it.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

THE LORE OF MAKI ITOH

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

duckdealer posted:

THE LORE OF MAKI ITOH

Finally a mythology worth investing in

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Rarity posted:

Finally a mythology worth investing in

Agreed!

Also does anyone know how soon after it happens the Budokan show will be uploaded to Stardom World? The PPV is kinda pricey and in middle of the night so I'm not going to watch it live.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

That is so wild to think about.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1366671237871624195

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1366671528876630018

Getting hyped for tonight.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm watching via a ip tv thing and the stream is flawless. glad my body decided to crash and wake up at 2:50

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Rumble spoiler:

Emi had the ChocoPro gang backing her up

Pylons fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 3, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was spoiled. but was watching it. it's ok. I wasn't spoiled, arguably

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: New Wind (Arisa Nakajima, Nanae Takahashi & Riko Kawahata) vs. Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto) & Tsukushi Haruka - SEAdLINNNG New Leaf (2/26)

https://twitter.com/RealHero12089/status/1366365262187012099?s=19

This is my current MOTY. Absolute nonstop chaos as some of the absolute best wrestlers in the world face off against each other. You're always guaranteed a good time when Asuka and Arisa Nakajima get in the same ring, but the absolute highlight of this match isn't even a competitor as Yumiko Hotta shows how outside interference should be done, getting a lot of vocal reactions from the crowd in the process. Incredible stuff with a shocking finish (especially considering the post-match)

Quoted from the MOTYC thread. I know it's inevitable when you don't know any of the competitors, but man did this not click for me. Also I think I like Asuka/Veny less the more I see them because of their selling style. They just look bored and waiting for their spot - no reality, no pain.

And I'm thinking of getting on the Tokyo Joshi pro train, how much english commentary is their for their shows? The commentary would be massively helpful to getting into the shows, especially if I want to watch with my girlfriend.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wazzu posted:

Quoted from the MOTYC thread. I know it's inevitable when you don't know any of the competitors, but man did this not click for me. Also I think I like Asuka/Veny less the more I see them because of their selling style. They just look bored and waiting for their spot - no reality, no pain.

And I'm thinking of getting on the Tokyo Joshi pro train, how much english commentary is their for their shows? The commentary would be massively helpful to getting into the shows, especially if I want to watch with my girlfriend.

Very few shows have English commentary. It just doesn't happen often.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

Very few shows have English commentary. It just doesn't happen often.

There was English commentary for their January 4th show (I think Chris Brookes guested as well) but the majority of their shows go with Japanese commentary or no commentary. Which is actually fine as their storytelling is very very visual and the frequent comedy moments are usually physical in a way that translates.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
For the record, she/her pronouns are appropriate for Asuka/Veny; the equivalents of "she/her" are used to address her in Japanese media and she's tweeted with terminology that suggests she identifies as a trans woman. There's some very understandable confusion, since she uses the nickname "Genderless Pro-Wrestler," but the Japanese word ジェンダーレス/"genderless" is more indicative of gender nonconformity in general than a label used to indicate that someone is specifically nonbinary.

e: There's usually no English commentary for TJPW, but on top of what others have said, most of the more gimmicky characters are pretty identifiable archetypes. Also here's the obligatory link to Mr. Haku's indispensable twitter feed that does a great job of introducing the promotion and its goings-on to an English audience: https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng

You're still kind of out of luck if you're not watching live and/or don't want to keep an eye on twitter while you watch, but again, it's usually not hard to follow along at all. Most of what you miss by not understanding Japanese are Hyper Misao promos (which is admittedly a tragic loss)

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 3, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

For the record, she/her pronouns are appropriate for Asuka/Veny; the equivalents of "she/her" are used to address her in Japanese media and she's tweeted with terminology that suggests she identifies as a trans woman. There's some very understandable confusion, since she uses the nickname "Genderless Pro-Wrestler," but the Japanese word ジェンダーレス/"genderless" is more indicative of gender nonconformity in general than a label used to indicate that someone is specifically nonbinary.

Kamiyu who is her best English-speaking friend also uses she/her when talking about her in English

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kamiyu who is her best English-speaking friend also uses she/her when talking about her in English
I'm not super fluent in Japanese, but I recall a lot of confusion because Japanese pronouns are somewhat genderless by default and masculine and feminine pronouns or speech don't necessarily directly correlate 1:1 to She/he/them like English does.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm pretty sure that's a thing from what I've been told by others - and I've seen Japanese people with not fantastic English mess up pronouns before and use he/him for people that are clearly women and identify as such.

Its something that its worth everyone remembering when it comes to Japan in particular but also some other countries difference between languages makes our debates over things like pronouns and that stuff not particularly relevant: and where people from those places who have a strong idea about their own gender identity but who don't speak English that well might not fully understand the pronoun preference thing because its a concept that doesn't really exist in whatever language they speak. You sort of see the opposite in some super gendered languages where there either aren't any gender-neutral words or the ones that exist are the equivalent of "it" and so isn't suitable and while that's changing; transforming the rules of language in that sort of way isn't something that happens quickly.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

3,318 for Stardom's Budokan show. About 900 less than what Noah got for their show a few weeks back, 200 less than what NJPW got the last time they ran that building. Good number I think considering they've really gotten nothing close to that....perhaps ever? Plus Covid is really having an effect on people willing to go out to these shows. Curious what New Japan's Budokan show tomorrow is gonna do considering they've done zero build for it and Stardom & Noah have been building their shows up for awhile. Would suck a little if they beat Stardom's number considering the amount of effort being put into each show.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not super fluent in Japanese, but I recall a lot of confusion because Japanese pronouns are somewhat genderless by default

I don't know if I'd say this is true, at least for third-person pronouns; the equivalents of "she/her" and "he/him" are pretty cut and dry in most cases. You do see nonbinary people often using ones that correspond to the gender they were assigned at birth, since Japanese lacks gender neutral third-person pronouns. On the other hand, it's also much easier to avoid third-person pronouns entirely in Japanese than it is in English, which is an approach I've seen more and more for nonbinary people.

For first-person pronouns and speech patterns, most of them are heavily gendered, but you're right that they aren't always 1-to-1. There are even some regional differences; in some rural areas, it's common for women to use "ore" which is very masculine elsewhere, etc.

For me, the main telling thing is that Asuka/Veny has referred to herself as "MTF," which is a term used exclusively by trans women here; a nonbinary person would be more likely to use "MTX."

Anyway uhhh wrestling

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 4, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thank you for educating me and likely others Johnny Landmine

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I feel 100% certain Maki Itoh is the major signing Big Show is announcing at Revolution. She has a show on 3/6 but because the time difference she could make the trip before the ppv. The fact that TJPW does not have Itoh apart of the online signing only strengthens my belief.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I don't think time zones allow whatever the require quarantine period is for someone entering the country.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

karmicknight posted:

I don't think time zones allow whatever the require quarantine period is for someone entering the country.

It's Florida, there aren't any Covid restrictions.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Oil! posted:

It's Florida, there aren't any Covid restrictions.

Yep

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Maki Itoh has always done her online autograph sessions separately, IIRC; she's technically not signed with TJPW full-time.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Johnny Landmine posted:

Maki Itoh has always done her online autograph sessions separately, IIRC; she's technically not signed with TJPW full-time.

That may be. But they generally announce when she doing it right? They have just enough time to fly her to Florida and that sounds like something they would %100 would do.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

She's signed with her talent agency. The UUG and Saki Akai are doing the same thing

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the wildest thing about the ddt saki akai photobook championship reign has been learning that saki akai is 34, what the gently caress

it's cool that she has basically had, for joshi at least, a late career resurgence? seems like she was stuck in the ddt comedy undercard forever but with her french cousin in tjpw and eruption she's got a great thing going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lol Itoh rules but they're not going to tease her signing like this, come on