Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Hey grapple folks, with so much motion in the women's wrestling world happening right now I've decided to re-start the classic Women's Wrestling thread to give people a hub to talk about news/rumors about the Mae Young Classic coming up, possible contestants, their home promotions, and the other going-ons in the Joshi and International scene. In addition to that, the new Netflix series GLOW has just popped up giving a look back on the infamous women's promotion from yesteryear starring Allison Brie and Awesome Kong as well as a handful of wrestling cameos from the formerly WWE employed.

The WWE and the "Women's Revolution" has been going...somewhere over the last year, with the very talented Four Horsewomen being split up and half made to look fools while the other half went on to trade titles back over and over for what felt like ten years. Standout Alexa Bliss has become a major player now because of her unique talent to make funny faces and look disgusted about everything happening. On the Smackdown brand they just featured the revolutionary Women's Money in the Bank match which they decided to do twice with nearly the same outcome for no apparent reason, while in NXT Asuka is still going strong as the most dominant athlete in the WWE today.

WWE's Mae Young Classic is coming up August 28th with tapings starting in mid July as a follow-up to the highly praised Cruiserweight Classic. This tournament will feature 32 women from all over the world in a bracket style elimination tournament hosted by Jim Ross and Lita.

Currently anounced names are as follows:
Lacey Evans (USA)
Sarah Logan (USA) aka "Crazy" Mary Dobson
Toni Storm (New Zeland) the current Progress Women's Champion
Princesa Sugehit (Mexico) the current Mexican National Women's Champion
Kavita Devi (India) trained by the Great Khali
Taynara Conti (Brazil) a black belt in Judo with a blue in BJJ
Abbey Laith (USA) aka Princess Kimber Lee
Tessa Blanchard (USA) the daughter of Tully Blanchard and part of the Rock's biopic on Paige
Jazzy Gabert (Germany) aka Alpha Female from STARDOM
Bianca BelAir (USA) aka that girl that whips people with her hair
Vanessa Borne (USA) aka Danielle Kamela

There's strong rumors of returning Divas in the tournament as well as more Joshi, Luchadora, and Indy stars to show up with standout names like Kaiori Hojo expected to join the tournament.

World Wonder Ring Stardom from Japan is currently the undisputed Queens of women's wrestling right now, featuring a colorful cast of talent from all over the world and (formerly) home to some of the greatest female wrestlers in the last two decades. Although notable for their talent, they're also caked in controversy at times, in combination with their top stars Hojo and Io Shirai being raided by Big Hunter's NXT program. Notable wrestlers and alumni from STARDOM include Io Shirai and Meiko Satomora, some of the best wrestlers in the world today, Future NXT standout Kairi Hojo known around the world as having the most beautiful elbow drop in the business, ACT Yasukawa the retired charismatic rum-drinking bondage pirate most recently notable for getting the poo poo beaten out of her by an angry YOSHIKO, The American bred but Japanese made Kris Wolf who is a literal wolf with 10 thousand more times energy than any normal animal, and Tessa Blancard. STARDOM is on their way to building up their new generation after many of the stars have moved on to NXT or the MYC lead by Mayu who formerly appeared in Lucha Underground.

As the banner says, you can sign up for Stardom World, their exclusive YouTube streaming service and catch up on some of the names coming into the WWE soon as well as enjoy Kris Wolf threatening to eat teenage girls.

GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling) is an infamous promotion from the mid-late 80's featuring an extremely bright and colorful cast of characters attempting to take advantage of the wrestling boom at the time. The wrestling and acting weren't particularly great, but it was notable none the less for having a semi mainstream reach at the time. Netflix has created an original show which tells the story of the promotion lead by actress Allison Brie which follows a fictional cast of GLOW hopefuls and the rise of the promotion in the US. Catch it on Netflix now, and while you're there, watch the documentary of the real promotion called GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

Post your favorite women's matches ITT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18LPQZFi7I

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Gonna steer the discussion towards the Mae Young Classic, and who you'd like to see appearing in the tournament. There's 36 slots so tons of space.

Personally I'd like to see (In addition to Hojo) some combination of Meiko, DASH Chisako, Riho, Makoto and Hikaru Shida. Aja Kong would be a good name to throw in too because they have footage of her in the WWE already and Ross can really sell that she was so scary that Vince McMahon fired her on the spot.

As far as former Divas coming back into the tournament, I'd love to see Katie Lee or Eve Torres as legit competitors or Victoria/Molly Holly as the nostalgia pops. I'd like to see Jessica Havok get another shot too after her chances being ruined by some dumb poo poo she said on twitter when she was still young.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom World isn't a youtube service. Its on the same streaming platform NJPW World and DDT uses. Good rear end OP tho.

some good links:
http://joshicity.com/beginners-guide-to-joshi-puroresu/ Because Joshi is the backbone of actual women's wrestling.
http://wwnlive.com/shine/ landing page for SHINE, which is a monthly women's show available Floslam.tv. Its where future NXT signees are most likely to wrestle against Impact Knockouts.
http://shimmerwrestling.blogspot.com/ The Grandmommy of US women's wrestling. Their DVD catalogue is DEEEEEP. From OGs like Cheerleader Melissa and Sara Del Ray to new school standouts like Evie and Xandra Bale. If you get the women's wres bug, this is where you'll spend money.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

coconono posted:

Stardom World isn't a youtube service. Its on the same streaming platform NJPW World and DDT uses. Good rear end OP tho.

some good links:
http://joshicity.com/beginners-guide-to-joshi-puroresu/ Because Joshi is the backbone of actual women's wrestling.
http://wwnlive.com/shine/ landing page for SHINE, which is a monthly women's show available Floslam.tv. Its where future NXT signees are most likely to wrestle against Impact Knockouts.
http://shimmerwrestling.blogspot.com/ The Grandmommy of US women's wrestling. Their DVD catalogue is DEEEEEP. From OGs like Cheerleader Melissa and Sara Del Ray to new school standouts like Evie and Xandra Bale. If you get the women's wres bug, this is where you'll spend money.
Ah poo poo, when I subscribed a while ago it was on YouTube, I'm out of date.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Zeuxis for MYC or why even have it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Having watched the GLOW pilot again it's clear that Wrestlicious is its direct inheritor. Solo commentary is so bad

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

Having watched the GLOW pilot again it's clear that Wrestlicious is its direct inheritor. Solo commentary is so bad
I'm not even sure if the dude that funded it was old enough to have seen GLOW, he was just a money mark who gave Jimmy Hart a lot of money.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
serious question, how does one have a tournament with entertainment style wrestling? Because of all the showmanship involved I dont see how its a competition. Is it basically a fitness contest and the person who gets tired first loses and gets pinned?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 29, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

serious question, how does one have a tournament with western style wrestling? Because of all the showmanship involved I dont see how its a competition. Is it basically a fitness contest and the person who gets tired first loses and gets pinned?
Are you specifically talking about the Mae Young Classic? Because in the CWC, everyone worked a pretty good fusion of their own style and their opponents style, including Bryan Kindrick/Ibushi's "Lets do really stupid dangerous moves" style which lead to a burning hammer and Kota accidentally getting counted out because he forgot the WWE only has a 10 count and not a 20.

Gran Metallic was also loving outstanding and wrestled both the Lucha style and the "British Strong Style" matches and looked so good. If you're bringing in a bunch of indy women and japanese women they're probably going to do the light heavyweight style from the CWC with a lot of stiff moves and some flashy false finishes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

serious question, how does one have a tournament with entertainment style wrestling? Because of all the showmanship involved I dont see how its a competition. Is it basically a fitness contest and the person who gets tired first loses and gets pinned?

Well, pro-wrestling is basically a performance that's telling a story via the format of a sporting contest, so a regular match has a winner and a loser pre-determined. A tournament just means the booker/writer comes up with a bunch of those matches in a tourney format, the winners advancing (if single-elimination as most are) and the losers don't, until the story climaxes with the final match and the final winner.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes the mae young classic from the OP. Im not at all a wrestling fan, but the idea of a tournament intrigues me.

I only know a little bit about japanese wrestling but what I have seen makes it look more about athleticism and less about acting. The gap between Olympic and "WWE" wrestling is huge but something somewhere in-between even if its heavily skewed towards WWE sounds fun to watch. Im not trying to start a real or fake argument. Just that letting some different styles come and mix things up sounds pretty cool

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tournaments can be tricky to book, because it's one storyline with a ton of matches, and the participants in this match are determined by the winners of two previous matches so you have to keep that in mind, etc., but it's been done.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

yes the mae young classic from the OP. Im not at all a wrestling fan, but the idea of a tournament intrigues me.

I only know a little bit about japanese wrestling but what I have seen makes it look more about athleticism and less about acting. The gap between Olympic and "WWE" wrestling is huge but something somewhere in-between even if its heavily skewed towards WWE sounds fun to watch. Im not trying to start a real or fake argument. Just that letting some different styles come and mix things up sounds pretty cool
Your best bet is to watch either the Cruiserweight Classic or some of the recent classics from STARDOM. Look up Io Shirai vs Meiko Satomura or Io Shirai vs Kairi Hojo or Candice LaRae/Joey Ryan vs The Young Bucks

Hell, look up the Lucha Underground Gauntlet match with Pentagon Jr vs Io Shirai/Hojo/Mayu

[vide]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9yl1K6iwPQ[/video]

A lot of these girls are every bit as good as the guys are now.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Thursday will be six days since the last MYC talent announcement.

I know a lot of background information about the MYC. The screening process has been OTT and outside talent has been nth guessed WAY too much but I've still have faith in the tournament field. I am less idealistic than say a month ago. There's people who would be in my realistic 32 who ain't.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

Thursday will be six days since the last MYC talent announcement.

I know a lot of background information about the MYC. The screening process has been OTT and outside talent has been nth guessed WAY too much but I've still have faith in the tournament field. I am less idealistic than say a month ago. There's people who would be in my realistic 32 who ain't.
I know a couple Joshi who were contacted but either turned it down or couldn't make it too, which is disappointing. There's always room for surprises like the CWC with mediocre or unknowns putting out great matches but I don't think it's going to have the starpower that the CWC did.

It's almost a gimme at this point that one or two of the Chinese women in training will be first round knockouts too. I really wish Lin Bairon/Ray hadn't had so many health issues because she would have been an outstanding grab for the tournament, knowing English, Japanese, and Mandarin fluently

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I know a couple Joshi who were contacted but either turned it down or couldn't make it too, which is disappointing. There's always room for surprises like the CWC with mediocre or unknowns putting out great matches but I don't think it's going to have the starpower that the CWC did.

It's almost a gimme at this point that one or two of the Chinese women in training will be first round knockouts too. I really wish Lin Bairon/Ray hadn't had so many health issues because she would have been an outstanding grab for the tournament, knowing English, Japanese, and Mandarin fluently

I genuinely don't anything Asian participant wise besides Hojo. Just expect Shayna Baszler, Nicole Matthews, Deonna Purrazzo, Rachael "Evers" Ellering, Candice LeRae, Mia Yim and Kay Lee Rey.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wow no Britt Baker?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Wow no Britt Baker?

Expect her to be in NXT by year end regardless - if she chooses to be when she graduates dentistry school. Just I haven't heard her in conjunction with the MYC that's all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How is Baszler? I'm surprised they'd be willing to bring someone so relatively new, even with the minor notoriety she has via Ronda.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Speaking of olympic wrestling, I would love to see Chihiro Hashimoto in this thing. Not only is she good for being pretty new, but a Greco-Roman background isn't something a lot of women in the business can claim.

Plus tournaments need a suplex machine.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

How is Baszler? I'm surprised they'd be willing to bring someone so relatively new, even with the minor notoriety she has via Ronda.

For her level great I guess. Get's major plus points for her attitude in terms of willingness to learn and for being a major positive locker room morale wise.

Meltzer reported she was the most recommended NXT tryoutee in recent memory. She's friendly with the Bellas and Nattie. I believe she would be signed if not for her age (36). There was a big storyline pitch late last year for her to work a 3 month feud with Becky Lynch.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

rovert posted:

I genuinely don't anything Asian participant wise besides Hojo. Just expect Shayna Baszler, Nicole Matthews, Deonna Purrazzo, Rachael "Evers" Ellering, Candice LeRae, Mia Yim and Kay Lee Rey.
The people I know just work with lesser indies in Japan, but Asuka's trainee might be a lock too. I'm not expecting huge names out of Japan, but Alpha Female and Hojo are already a pretty good foundation. It's a shame that Io can't make the tournament due to injuries but she's definitely going to be a huge deal if she can make it to NXT with or without the tournament.

I would mention Syuri but I think she's got a better chance of being a UFC champion than a WWE champion right now, girl's a beast.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

She is really good with legit grappling experience. Trained by both Josh Barnett and the late Billy Robinson. Works real snug but afaik hasn't seriously roughed anyone up that wasn't down. Her tour through Stardom is a must watch.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
As for the results of the MYC, I've talked about it before, but I would say the two names I could see winning (or rather, should win) are Toni Storm or Kairi Hojo. Maybe Candice LaRae, but I don't know about that too much.

I fully expect it to be a TJP like person though.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 29, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

As for the results of the MYC, I've talked about it before, but I would say the two names I could see winning (or rather, should win) are Toni Storm or Kairi Hojo. Maybe Candice LaRae, but I don't know about that too much.

tbf Perkins probably only won because Zack Sabre and Ibushi wouldn't sign contracts

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DarkstarIV posted:

So Mia Yim?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Speaking of great women's matches, check out Jumping Bomb Angels vs Crush Gals. It's worth it just to see the crowd losing their loving minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCz4E-01q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vuPyfyZcjs

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Why I think Mia Yim will win. It is always dodgy/cynical to talk in these terms but she ticks the ethnicity box, speaks English, has a human interest story, earned experience on the indies and has TV experience via TNA.

I am very high on Yim personally. Can carry a pure rookie while can offer a NXT Takeover match wrestling high level wrestlers.

Her biggest weakest is promos.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
First of all, I'm glad this thread was restarted. Women's wrestling is a longtime passion of mine and I was playing around with the idea of getting this going again for a while, but wasn't sure what to say to start this off. So kudos.

Second, I encourage all of you to read the biography of Mildred Burke - Queen of the Ring, by Jeff Leen. A great, instructive read with some interesting stories that I'd not heard before.

Third, anyone else sad that LuFisto has yet to be seen in a major promotion as yet?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ghidzilla posted:

Third, anyone else sad that LuFisto has yet to be seen in a major promotion as yet?
She was briefly mentioned iirc in an Art of Wrestling podcast and having a rough time

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Candice will be the Cedric of the MYC

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mia Yim is still a free agent, right? I know she left TNA a while ago, and already had an NXT cup of coffee as a jobber. If they don't get her for the tournament then I don't know what.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of great women's matches, check out Jumping Bomb Angels vs Crush Gals. It's worth it just to see the crowd losing their loving minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCz4E-01q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vuPyfyZcjs

I like that match so god drat much.

Or how about the original "five feet of fury" Kaori Yoneyama?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSOe6SyOcE8

That Natsuki Taiyo chick is ok too, I guess.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The winner of the Mae Young Classic is going to be James Ellsworth

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Ruby Riot overnight posted a picture in Florida with some of the NXT girls and Kay Lee Ray and Candice.

In the NXT thread this week those were the next two indie names I expected to be announced next.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
November Takeover: Kay Lee Ray vs Nikki Cross in a Glesga chib on a pole match.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think Allison Brie could put on just as good a summerslam tag match as Green Arrow did two years ago.

I'm not sure they'd let her tho because he doesn't do the double cartwheel back elbow, The official move of female guest stars.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I want to see Zoya the Destroya with Rusev and Lana

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/WWENZ/status/880531477854773248

(Formerly known as Evie)

Dunno how I feel about the name Dakota Kai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

is there going to be a separate Mae Young Classic thread like there was for the CWC or will the Mae Young Classic not have as many aired show