Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Neodoomium posted:

Do y'all think STARDOM runs the risk of having fans turn on them if they have Jungle lose her faction again?

Let's be real, any Jungle Kyona fans who would actually leave over that would have already left like five times at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If anyone wants an update on the Kyoko Kimura/FujiTV dispute, FujiTV have conducted an investigation into FujiTV's handling of Hana Kimura and have determined that FujiTV did nothing wrong.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If anyone wants an update on the Kyoko Kimura/FujiTV dispute, FujiTV have conducted an investigation into FujiTV's handling of Hana Kimura and have determined that FujiTV did nothing wrong.

So literally the "We investigated ourselves and found no wrongdoing" meme? What a crock of poo poo that is.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neodoomium posted:

Do y'all think STARDOM runs the risk of having fans turn on them if they have Jungle lose her faction again?

Maybe a couple of Western fans, but they don't buy many tickets anyway.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Is she not particularly over, or is it something like "everyone expects her to fall short"

I am relatively new to STARDOM.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Stardom Hirooki Goto

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Neodoomium posted:

Is she not particularly over, or is it something like "everyone expects her to fall short"

I am relatively new to STARDOM.

Kyona's plenty over, especially among foreign fans. She's been with Stardom for years and the perception at least is they've never pushed her as far as her tenure and ability would warrant - she's never held a singles title, got passed over when Rossy described who he saw as Stardom's "pillars" despite leading a stable, got repeatedly fed to "super rookie" Utami, etc.

In other words

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Stardom Hirooki Goto

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

So what I am guessing is that the domestic fans are either just used to the idea that they're going to keep doing that to her, or they just aren't as likely to be pissed off about it the way western fans get sometimes?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think it's just that Western fans have different viewpoints and favorites than Japanese ones. For example, Japanese fans (from what I'm told) are big fans of Bea Priestley because she's large and intimidating compared to other gaijin the company brings in. You think of the successful foreign talent in Japanese history and it's largely rough and tumble monsters and not flashy juniors. Compare that to the West where she generally has a negative reputation for her greenness and repeated instances of injuring her opponents.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Most western fans also got into wrestling through WWE which deliberately spite books fan favourites they didn't choose to be fan favourites so it's understandable they have less patience when a promotion doesn't immediately pull the trigger on a popular wrestler (see Naito discourse post-WK12)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Unsure if this has been posted before but here's a 30 minute video of Maki Itoh and her time in TJPW. Honestly found her dynamic with Mizuki touching at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7CTgdgy40

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a terrible day for rain.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Speaking of joshi and Hirooki Goto, gonna assume that Risa Sera will not win the FantastICE title.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TV Zombie posted:

Unsure if this has been posted before but here's a 30 minute video of Maki Itoh and her time in TJPW. Honestly found her dynamic with Mizuki touching at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7CTgdgy40

God I love how anime Joshi wrestling is. Just the best.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think it's just that Western fans have different viewpoints and favorites than Japanese ones. For example, Japanese fans (from what I'm told) are big fans of Bea Priestley because she's large and intimidating compared to other gaijin the company brings in. You think of the successful foreign talent in Japanese history and it's largely rough and tumble monsters and not flashy juniors. Compare that to the West where she generally has a negative reputation for her greenness and repeated instances of injuring her opponents.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Most western fans also got into wrestling through WWE which deliberately spite books fan favourites they didn't choose to be fan favourites so it's understandable they have less patience when a promotion doesn't immediately pull the trigger on a popular wrestler (see Naito discourse post-WK12)

This is good insight, thank you. I hope they do eventually reconcile Jungle's story into a big victory and don't in fact, seal her fate as STARDOM's Goto.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I mean there's nothing wrong with being Stardom's Goto; dude has had a very good career when you look at it. I think she'll get a World Title run at some point but people expecting a long one will be disappointed.

Another thing with Western Stardom fans is that, well, they have a habit of being really wary of new people and don't like change unless it in involves long-term Stardom people. There was a bit of a similar backlash to Utami getting her massive push after debuting because she "hadn't earned it" and in hindsight that is very silly. I think that Kyona loss coupled with the Giulia push that isn't very popular with a subset of foreign Stardom fans (who also have a habit of assuming that since they only see each other talking that they are a larger part of Stardom's fandom than they are) is a big part to the backlash to stuff. I think it plays into the WWE thing where because they don't really have a clear divide in their roster between the main eventers and the rest not being a main eventer is a 'burial' even though Kyona is in a comfortable upper mid-card slot in Stardom which isn't exactly a bad spot to be in. I think part of it is also the idea that everyone "deserves" a title run just for being around for years which Japanese promotions generally don't do and while annoys some people.

Doesn't help that some are attaching Hana's death to it despite Kyona's promos before the match explicitly removing that as a factor because its not exactly good form to do that sort of stuff at the best of time; never mind for a losing title match less than two months after it happened. Part of this is WWE brainworms as well I think since they 100% would (and have) used the recent death of a wrestler in storylines and so they sort of expect other promotions to do it as well.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if kyona got a couple white belt reigns like goto has i'd be a lot more satisfied with her booking

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 3, 2020

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What are Japanese joshi fans like because I've heard Dave describe them as degenerates

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't know to what level of degeneracy Joshi fans are since the ones I'd interact with that follow TJPW are fine but Asian fans of K-Pop and J-Pop and other larger entertainment circles are "Paying hundreds to thousands of dollars buying multiple copies of the same CD to win lotto tickets so they can shake a girl's hand" is a pretty regular thing there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What are Japanese joshi fans like because I've heard Dave describe them as degenerates

It really depends on the promotion. Stardom fans tend to be on the creepier side, and Hana had to call one particular guy out on Twitter for them to change the rules. TJPW also has a bunch of weirdos but that's more like guys in their 50s waving around glowsticks for the Up Up Girls.

Promotions like Marvelous, SEAdLINNNG, OZ Academy and Sendai Girls attract a much more normal fanbase (probably because they're not selling bikini photobooks of teenagers).

The Dump Matsumoto Produce show I went to was a bunch of 40 year old women getting drunk at 10am on a Sunday. It was a great atmosphere.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Western fans also forget that wrestling is a business with the intent of making money. WWE as previously stated has poisoned the well over here, making people wish for title reigns just because or so someone can get their golden watch. A champion needs to lead and carry the company and should be considered a headliner that can sell tickets. Jungle isn’t there yet. I don’t know how quickly she could get there if they want to do it. And even if they do, I feel like she’s be a shorter champion since the fun would be in the chase for the belt and not the reign itself.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Definitely. The storyline I'd like to see is that she finally makes it to the top, not that she's this incredible fighting champion like Mayu.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just found out that Diana ran a show yesterday on Nico Nico. So is that a thing they are doing regularly now or is it just going to be dojo shows or what's the deal here?

Typical that Sareee leaves and it suddenly gets easier to watch their stuff online.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

if you can find it i highly recommend the recent seadlinnng korakuen. they're the one new promotion i got into this year and it's nice to follow a promotion with a small but talented core roster that works more with outsiders than stardom. as a bonus they run sporadically enough it's easy not to fall behind

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I just found out that Diana ran a show yesterday on Nico Nico. So is that a thing they are doing regularly now or is it just going to be dojo shows or what's the deal here?

Typical that Sareee leaves and it suddenly gets easier to watch their stuff online.

well, if you listen to some rumours she might not have left yet

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

well, if you listen to some rumours she might not have left yet

Speaking of...

https://twitter.com/tospo_battle/status/1290871781796896768?s=19

She has an announcement to make about her future. Perhaps it's time for the Kawasaki Rainbow Girl to come clean

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Would stink for her if WWE decided to drop her right now (although hopefully they'd have been paying her since March which is better than others got) but I'll admit to selfishly not wanting her to go there because she's great and WWE, well, aren't so if the story is that she's back even for a brief period I would not mind.

If she is the Kawasaki Rainbow Girl I do wonder if she asked for permission to do that: a sensible company in this climate wouldn't object (hell; they probably wouldn't have minded her working as Sareee provided it was with Diana and smaller companies) but we know that WWE aren't exactly sensible and might get annoyed at a signed talent yet to debut working under a mask for a small promotion. I'd find her trying to keep it a secret to be very funny though. Perhaps she had a feeling that something might happen and just wanted to keep sharp, who knows.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/youji4876/status/1290959583695876096?s=19

Ice Ribbon rookie will miss their Yokohama Buntai show because she's having surgery for an ovarian cyst (apparently not serious). Mio Shirai will make a one night only return to replace her in the match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

doing dumb spreadsheets for fun again finally, wrestling finally feels back now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

this is DEATH's year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chris James 2 posted:

this is DEATH's year

Are we still talking about wrestling? :thunkher:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cards announced for STARDOM Yokohama Cinderella 2020

Day 1 (Aug 22)
Hanan and Itsuki Hoshino vs Hina and Rina
AZM vs Saya Iida
Natsuko Tora, Saki Kashima and Natsu Sumire vs Jungle Kyona, Konami and DEATH Yama-San
Tam Nakano, Starlight Kid and Riho vs Mima Shimoda, Yuna Manase and Super Strong STARDOM Machine
Giulia vs Momo Watanabe
Himeka vs Utami Hayashishita
Maika defends the Future title against Saya Kamitani
Mayu Iwatani defends the World title against Syuri

Day 2 (Aug 23)
Hanan vs Rina vs Hina vs Ruaka vs DEATH in a five-way
Hoshino vs Iida
Riho vs Sumire
Kashima and Tora vs Kyona and Konami
Mayu vs Momo
AZM defends the High Speed title against Starlight Kid
Queen's Quest (Utami and Saya) defend the Goddesses title against Himeka and Maika
Giulia defends the Wonder title against Nakano

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’ve done a couple of pick em’s where I guarantee my choices did not match my final picks. My gut feelings are a Giulia-Momo final with Momo winning, Mayu and DDM as a whole do very well, Jungle, DEATH, and Saki do not do very well

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WWE are letting Sareee work Japan again until she is able to travel to the USA.

Let's hope for the Sareee vs Kawasaki Rainbow Girl dream match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Saki Kashima has pulled out of the 5 Star Grand Prix. Saya Iida will take her place

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

WAVE's Korakuen show featuring the opening round of Catch the WAVE and HIRO'e's retirement match has been cancelled after Yuki Miyazaki tested positive for Covid19

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

This has the potential to be quite a bad thing: WAVE is one of those independent promotions that almost everyone works and so a positive test there runs the risk of it spreading very widely in a way that, say, a positive test in Stardom or TJPW wouldn't. You have possible contact trails in a lot of different directions: Yuki Miyazaki wrestled Yuu and Miyuki Takase a fair few times in late July/early August and Takase might have taken that into AWG (they ran a show in early August, plus have done press stuff) and Diana; ands Natsu Sumire wrestled on that AWG show which would be a possible link to Stardom who held a press conference afterwards. She also wrestled a rookie match on the last WAVE show with connections to Marvelous (through Mikoto Shindo), 2AW (Rina Shingaki) and Pure-J (AKARI). Yuu wrestled on the return Sendai Girls show and also on a SEAdLINNNG show where she teamed with Makoto (who worked Ice Ribbon and ChocoPro afterwards) against Arisa Nakajima (SEAdLINNNG wrestler involved in training their wrestlers; also was at recent Ice Ribbon shows supporting Riho Kaiju) and Miyako Matsumoto (who recently held a show where she teamed with Chris Brookes against Drew Parker and Rina Yamashita; so that's links into DDT and Big Japan possibly). Someone elsewhere mentioned that there's possibly a link to Syuri and if that's the case that's another chain into Stardom: and they recently held a press conference that everyone was at. Sure some of these are a bit tenuous but the large number of different promotions and wrestlers named is big; and it would only take a few of these taking hold for it to really turn into something very serious. Saki Kashima's withdrawal from the 5 Star seems more suspicious now: perhaps they tested everyone and she was the only one to test negative or something.

As of now the fallout from this is that SAKI and Miyuki Takase were pulled from their commitments this weekend (so I imagine both are being tested) although no news of Miku Aonu and Tae Honma for the big Ice Ribbon show this weekend so AWG seem to be taking this somewhat seriously; OZ Academy cancelled their planned show this weekend citing several of their wrestlers being in contact with someone that tested positive; 666 (not a Joshi promotion but one with strong links to it plus a place that a load of random people work) cancelled their show this weekend as well which I imagine might be linked to this, and I suspect that more news might come. That big Ice Ribbon show this weekend seems tenuous now just with all of the links to Miyazaki and others that have been in contact with her and also the difficulty in getting quick test results over the weekend; if Stardom have tested since people came into contact with them they might be fine to go ahead as normal but it also wouldn't shock me if they delayed those shows especially if there's any risk.

However Sakura Hirota got a test (I imagine she had a bit of prior notice being a WAVE wrestler) and tested negative which is very good news since she's got kids and so that makes things more worrying by default.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

God what a mess

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Posting new predictions to reflect Giant Saya's entry.

Still complete shots in the dark.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I appreciate you giving Saya 2 wins, it's very generous of you.