Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I think part of the problem with Asuka is her English, but part of the blame lies on WWE for that as well. I think when she first moved over here, they didn't have any sort of English language courses at the Performance Center. I think they have them now, but WWE would be wise to hire an actual licensed ESL teacher full time.

There's also the issue of Vince having a grudge against Japanese talents for god knows what reason (its likely racism), and the fact that he hates managers for the most part. Asuka would thrive if she had a mouthpiece or manager.

That being said, her English seems to be improving in general. Or she seems to be making a serious effort to learn.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rovert posted:

You can ask me on Twitter you know.

I am trolling but Asuka's appeal on the main roster is largely prior reputation and her entrance.

so finn balor

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Arguably though, Asuka could have attempted to learn English in Japan like Kairi Hojo did....unless Asuka never had ambitions to go abroad for wrestling?

Also, learning English as a second language is hard unless you attend classes because of the nuances and idiomatic language that's hard to translate unless you are a native speaker.

I'd worry that giving Asuka a manager would just make Vince perpetuate more racial stereotypes.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
If Smackdown still had a Main Event/Superstars show (they should I'd watch it over the Raw branded Main Event) likely my perception of Asuka would be different.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

rovert posted:

Oh yeah as the live event reports on her are so good and her Super Showdown match wasn't poo poo tier.

Asuka does have adaptability issues too. She can't really sell specifically.

I don't like this criticism as it is bordering on mean-spirited and below the belt. But Asuka's level of English is rather concerning. She's been in the US for three years and it doesn't seem to be coming along. If you watch UpUpDownDown she seems really lost and trying to get by.

WWE's presentation is too rigid and should be more adaptable but she seems to be flying below the minimum basic standard.

Her match at SSD was about 5 minutes long and was a filler tag-team match against the IIconics who aren't great workers.

Asuka has had good matches on the main roster.

fatherofmustard fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 8, 2018

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Asuka did fine in NXT just being a badass most of the time. Promos are important, but there are ways to work around it. WWE doesn't seem to want to make the effort. Not sure why Lashley gets a manager but Asuka can't.

I wonder how well Kairi and Io are doing, promo class wise at the PC.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rovert posted:

I am trolling

Mr. White that's Not wise

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
the butt butt is good tho

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Also, learning English as a second language is hard unless you attend classes because of the nuances and idiomatic that's hard to translate unless you are a native speaker.

I'd worry that giving Asuka a manager would just make Vince perpetuate more racial stereotypes.

Absolutely on both counts.

Not a women's wrestler but Gran Metalik has a similar issue. He just hit a brick wall learning English. And just scrapes by.

A lot of the Chinese NXT recruits left or were let go as they struggled to adapt to America. It is a real mountain to overcome. I know English and Irish wrestlers who cracked in Florida and they knew English.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
could you imagine how over asuka would be if instead of interviews or promos she just leaned really close to the mic and said 'i do the butt butt' and danced away

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

rovert posted:

Irish . . . . . and they knew English.

debatable

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

DM Punk posted:

Asuka did fine in NXT just being a badass most of the time. Promos are important, but there are ways to work around it. WWE doesn't seem to want to make the effort. Not sure why Lashley gets a manager but Asuka can't.

I wonder how well Kairi and Io are doing, promo class wise at the PC.

Because Vince likes Lashley. I don't think he cares about or likes Asuka all that much. And Kairi is doing very well if her promos are anything to go by. Her written English is almost flawless. Io seems to have a way to go though.

Like it's not that hard to work around Asuka's flaws as shown on NXT. But the main roster creative team seems to actively expose a performer's flaws and it only hurts them.

That being said, Kairi is probably not going to be in a good spot on the main roster if her previous appearances are anything to go by. Which is a shame since she's insanely good in the ring and probably the best pure babyface in WWE. Not to mention marketable from an appearance and PR perspective as well.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 8, 2018

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
It just seems so weird that WWE has hired 3 of the best joshi in the world and they have no idea on how to use them.

It's like buying an expensive sports car only to realize you have no idea how to drive a manual transmission.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what kind of cars do they know how to drive

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

what kind of cars do they know how to drive

Monster trucks only.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

DM Punk posted:

It just seems so weird that WWE has hired 3 of the best joshi in the world and they have no idea on how to use them.

It's like buying an expensive sports car only to realize you have no idea how to drive a manual transmission.

It's not that weird if you look at the fact that WWE is poaching any talent they perceive as a threat to their bottom line (apparently both ROH and Impact were attempting to pick up Io at some point). To be honest, I wouldn't rule out WWE trying to pick up Mayu in the next year or two either. I think the only reason she hasn't signed is because she doesn't want to move over to the US due to not knowing many people.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you post that one more time it's a toxx

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

That being said, Kairi is probably not going to be in a good spot on the main roster if her previous appearances are anything to go by.

Are you talking about her experiences in battle royales or other appearances because battle royales/rumbles have storylines to advance in them and it's hard to give all the wrestlers in the ring a rub...I wouldn't sweat those appearances.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do you think Kairi picked her name or someone down at NXT done it. I thank she picked it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Hey, here's a classic Joshi match from Manami Toyota vs. Kyoko Inoue. According to hairy fan, it was revolutionary for its time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dq3XhKnEoQ&t=719s

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DM Punk posted:

I mean WWE hires people they don't know how to use all the time. It's expected really.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's amazing how many times a great wrestler has gone to WWE, been great in NXT, and then sucked on the main roster, but everyone still blames the wrestler as the problem. The brand really is bigger then anything else.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's amazing how many times a great wrestler has gone to WWE, been great in NXT, and then sucked on the main roster, but everyone still blames the wrestler as the problem. The brand really is bigger then anything else.

I mean is "everyone" saying this wrt Asuka or is it just rovert who has literally said "I am trolling" itt?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Asuka is very nice and a lot more gentle on the funboys than Kairi is. That's your scoop of the day.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't actually mind the Asuka stuff so much since she actually seems to be having a lot of fun right now teaming with Naomi and the Miz, and I still enjoy seeing her on TV because her energy comes across.

It's not the same as the poo poo-kicker she was a year ago, but she's still an enjoyable wrestle-person.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

Great wrestlers are more versatile than Asuka is

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

rovert posted:

Great wrestlers are more versatile than Asuka is

How is she not versatile?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

fatherofmustard posted:

How is she not versatile?

You replied to post previously where I said it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I mean is "everyone" saying this wrt Asuka or is it just rovert who has literally said "I am trolling" itt?

It is just a thing that constantly comes up with a bunch of wrestlers, Asuka just being the latest because rovert's decided to become insufferable again.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

It is just a thing that constantly comes up with a bunch of wrestlers, Asuka just being the latest because rovert's decided to become insufferable again.

Wrong on both counts.

Nope, I don't normally "actually bad" people. Was never really high on Asuka's Takeover matches. I found them a bit joyless, to be honest.

And I didn't even bring up the topic on here. I didn't decide to become insufferable.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Rovert has a point about Asuka's selling. Even in NXT she'd always lose the crowd anytime she had to sell for long.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
That's part of what made the Ember matches work though. They'd always kick off with Asuka getting cheered and the combo of both their styles got Ember cheered by the end.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

rovert posted:

And I didn't even bring up the topic on here. I didn't decide to become insufferable.

We know you don't have control over it, buddy, don't worry. :v:

However, people as a whole Always Bad wrestlers here when most of the time it's the booking loving them over. I'd cruise control too if creative had nothing for me and I had to work a full tour with Carmella. I also think WWE nowadays only allows wrestlers with distinct styles to do the "WWE version" of the matches they used to work. That's why you get plodding cruiserweights, really rushed AJ/Nakamura, etc. Some people adapt better than others, but even if you can adapt you might end up stalled and for whatever reason gently caress your body of work, you were always overhyped.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It's funny because WWE still sees some value in Asuka considering she's only lost a handful of times on TV, and is still incredibly protected, even at house shows.

Speaking of Asuka, she'll be making what I think is her first actual convention appearance in December at Wintercon in NYC, according to PWInsider. An autograph and picture will run you $100 though!

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

OctoberCountry posted:

Rovert has a point about Asuka's selling. Even in NXT she'd always lose the crowd anytime she had to sell for long.

I agree with that, but Asuka isn't the type of wrestler you want to see sell for long periods of time. You want to see her kick rear end.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Asuka opened my eyes to Joshi and Stardom. Much like Nakamura did for me with Puroresu and NJPW. Both companies who now get my money monthly. $$$ well deserved. I am eternally grateful and hope they both enjoy their soft retirement in WWE.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/zmanbrianzane/status/1060536143949705217

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I feel like there might be a parallel to be drawn from the obstacles of learning English to creating a formula that works within "WWE style." There are rules that contradict other rules, it borrows from enough different sources that the actual nucleus is somewhat hard to pin down. You could sit and watch an
HBK TV match and pretty much call the whole thing 5-10 seconds in advance, but it worked and was effective. Plenty of fairly talented people try to put together something they can build on and it doesn't really get them anywhere, while people like Carmella scrape along not being especially good at the wrestling part or the entertainment part. It's weird, it's frustrating but it certainly is fascinating.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

rovert posted:

Wrong on both counts.

Nope, I don't normally "actually bad" people. Was never really high on Asuka's Takeover matches. I found them a bit joyless, to be honest.

The one thing that bugs me with her is that it seems like she pulls her strikes soo much now that they look bad even for wrestling standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Wish I knew what Kris's 2019 holds. Hope she finds what she's looking for.
https://twitter.com/wolfinjapan/status/1060689430267265024