Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

What do you mean? This is clearly very healthy and sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Wrestling's not real, dummy.

You finally figured it out. Nice.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

STARDOM Spoiler: Utami and Momo won the tag titles tonight from JAN. People are PISSED at the result and its renewed a lot of ill will towards Utami's push.

Why is this innately bothersome to many? A sense that an Utami push is underserved or unearned? Being upset at taking anything away from Kyona and JAN, I definitely understand and share the sentiment, but outside of any specific match results what about Utami and/or her push is rubbing people wrong?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yeah, I've been subscribed to Stardom World for a year or so now and if not for being aware of some bikini calendars existing, I would never have thought it anything but a straight-up wrestling promotion that occasionally plays into some sillier Japanese sensibilities. :shrug:

I'm not surprised tho by the just cited numbers watching the shows, taking note of the crowds, but I felt I'd heard their merch does really well. Is that just when calendars come out, or is there some truth to it? Has Io leaving negativity impacted business?

Idk, when everyone else was apparently freaking over Utami's win, I was more taken by Momo's win. It really seems they're placing their eggs in her basket.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

That's all I want this Christmas from Santa Rossy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Johnny Landmine posted:

Hell, Joey Ryan's lolipop spot is the exact same spot, but way more shoot disgusting because it goes in more than one person's mouth sometimes, and he doesn't get a tenth the flack this did. Hmmmm I wonder why

I saw someone respond to this argument on twitter by saying the comparison doesn't work because Ryan doesn't "pull anything out of his penis" and uhhhh

Let's remove even the origins of both objects being the inside of a body.

Would you prefer to stick inside of your mouth a food item that sat atop of [body part X] and has saliva on it or a non-food item that sat atop [X] and has on it blood and biological material associated with reproduction?

They're absolutely definitely very different, but also neither really begs to be compared to the other.

Smoking Crow posted:

They're both gross and I hate them

:agreed:

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 10, 2019

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Johnny Landmine posted:

e: like, are you addressing this in kayfabe? Because I'm not and neither are most people I've seen talking about it

Kayfabe, yes, in as much as addressing why it's considered excessively gross and getting the attention it is. I mean, the shoot side is a gimmicked bit of cotton being stuck in someone's mouth which is as controversial as Mr. Socko.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

coconono(?) where can I find that tam special?

http://www.stardom-world.com/tams-life/

You ask too many questions about watching wrestling. Just watch wrestling.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1124889655889915904?s=19

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

coconono posted:

Wait, hold up, Stardom lost their archive?

Yeah, they added to their website a search function for the archives but the cost of this was the entire archives. They raised the price of the World service for this and called it an upgrade.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I wish wrestling and wrestlers all the best, and really hope this works out like everyone involved is ostensibly envisioning.

But even if things don't work out well, hopefully enough lessons are learned by EVE's efforts in this arena to improve wrestler relations and care in others promotions.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

To get into something, make a name and leave your mark, and peace out while everyone only wants more is truly awesome.

Godspeed, Hazuki.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

They've put a Stardom match on the WK card too.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1209453909594345475

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I understand that everyone who does a thing, anything, retires ultimately but am I mistaken in thinking that (formal) retirement is more prevalent in Japan than the US? If so, is it just a thing of tradition and culture?

I can think of plenty enough American wrestling retirements but many seem to be non-events, like The Rock announcing so of his in-ring on work on Regis and Kathy Lee (whatever) in utter nonchalance, or people just quit and that's it, where by contrast it seems like Japan, perhaps Mexico and others, pay more recognition to people hanging up the boots.

Seriously.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

Retirement ceremonies are a big thing in Japan

Your thorough responses are awesome, thank you.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Whose 7pm?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I really want one and I don’t know if I’ll get the chance because it needs to ship from UK

I've got a couple bros with shopping bots on it but neither is sure they'll be able to select a size. It's always something.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

This is hitting me harder than other wrestler deaths

Same here. Been a huge fan of Hana for years but unlike so many other wrestler passings before their time, this wasn't for bad choices or demons or anything else earned. This was something done to someone who needed to be built up and the thought that even one wrestling fan joined in the bullying and belittling of Hana for her looks or what amounts to storyline disgusts me in a way and capacity previously unknown.

The best thing now is to hope out of this tragedy that no more tragedies occur.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

gently caress wrestling fans.

Truer words...

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Have these gone up anywhere? Trying to keep track but have been busy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

But surely you watch NXT UK?

Legitimately the best wrestling show going these days. :colbert:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

karmicknight posted:

I cannot believe a) that being true or b) anyone earnestly believing that.

So please elaborate.

I do feel that way. First the qualifier of "show" being by my definition a regularly scheduled weekly program that's readily available. It's pretty simple, most wrestling product today is relentlessly embarrassing and I place NXT UK at the bottom of that totem. Solid production, good and young talent, great matches, and doesn't overstay its welcome. I'm not familiar yet with NJPW's weekly but all the same, to keep succinct, it's a small show with a larger feel and mostly resembles real wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013