Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

coconono posted:

AIW hasn't done an all women's show yearly in ever.

Trying to turn this into English and my best guess is you're claiming AIW run women's shows infrequently?

Not really true as looking at Cagematch they generally seem to have run about two a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

Shirai will not be going to WWE according to Meltzer. Concern over her neck injury, along with the fact that WWE is supposedly satisfied with Kairi and Asuka is enough for them. Meaning Shirai will be working the 5* GP with a broken neck.

Stardom's English PR may insist otherwise about the neck but I wouldn't put stock in their statement.

The Observer story makes 0% sense. The only thing I can see that fits somewhat with the timeline is that WWE told Io to get her neck fixed before they'd sign her and she decided against it. If all that was needed was a few weeks rest then WWE would have signed her right away.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Qoey posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize she was the lady in the nightclub they were gonna rent!

Might be because she looks 50.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DM Punk posted:

She is not Canadian.

From what I've heard she was born in Canada but her family moved when she was really young.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Gabert is her real last name and Jazzy is part of a name she used earlier in her career so I guess she chose it?

It's the name she used for her MMA matches and I think they were in like the last 12 months.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just now watching, I know we LOL at WOMEN'S REVOLUTION and whatever but isn't it fair to genuinely say this is the best era of women's wrestling ever?

In America that's probably accurate. Overall nothing comes close to the 80's & 90's Japanese stuff.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

My general opinion is that 32 was right at the upper limit for this kind of thing; there were a few more obvious projects here than in the CWC. 24 with some byes would've maybe been better watching, but I'm glad all of them got some exposure and know what style WWE wants if they decide to go that direction in their careers. Everyone who's gone can hopefully earn some more on the indies or know what they need to do to get to the PC. Overall I'm pretty pleased and I really hope it picks up from now like the CWC.[/spoiler]

The level of competitors is entirely down to the WWE. They could have easily had 32 wrestlers of a decent level and experience but they filled the brackets with PC trainees, including at least one having her first match anywhere, as well as just bad choices like Marti Belle and Renee Michelle.

As far as the level of matches it's important to look at the previous tournaments and see how they have done them. Both the CWC and the UK tournament used the first round to introduce the competitors and sow the seeds for the storylines. Match quality was heavily throttled back in both cases until the last match where they were allowed to do more. They did the same here, but even more pronounced because of the level of most of the losers. Match quality should make a huge leap for the rest of the tournament.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

People don't expect Toni to sign because she's doing really well in the indies right now and is both Stardom and Progress champion.

She might not sign right now since the timing isn't great, but it won't be too long till she's there. She's said point blank in the past that WWE is her goal, and being successful on the indies doesn't mean she is making any money.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

Toni Storm has been involved in matches where Kairi, Io, and Mayu got injured.

And Dahlia Black.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Millie's great. She's like a 17 year-old Nicole Savoy.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

Tessa, her attitude issues and WWE not signing her should be left alone in my view but Meltzer keeps bringing up that WWE should sign her, is signing her all feigning he doesn't know why WWE hasn't signed her. Despite reporting backstage incidents with her in the past. Meltzer is tight with Ricochet that may influence all this. Either way the end result isn't doing Tessa any good.

That's kind of rich considering Meltzer has talked about her signing twice that I can recall (in the actual Observer, I don't listen to the radio shows), while you've taken great delight in talking about her bad attitude on many, many occasions.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Richter Scabies posted:

Has anyone explained why Mari Apache perpetually looks like she doesn't want to be there in her Stardom promos, etc?

Still better than Nanae who used them to get some extra "bully the young girls" time in.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
In today's Observer Dave says the reason Io isn't in the WOH tournament is that she hopes to get cleared and sign with the WWE.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
She's not THAT young by UK standards. I think she's 18 and has been wrestling for 3 years, while girls like Millie McKenzie and Candyfloss are 17 and have been wrestling for about half the time and are considerably better. Doesn't mean she can't become good, people develop at different times.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Oh, you mean like the partnerships with a dozen other indies that hasn't happened yet

There very definitely exists deal with Progress, WWN and ICW. They may not be as extensive as was rumoured, but they exist.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

TheHock posted:

Prazak said until recently that he wouldn't budge on his DVD production schedule (or lack thereof), but said on Twitter shortly before the last round of tapings that he's working on some sort of VOD. Whether that's through WWN, Fite or the rumored WWE thing, I don't know.

It seems fairly likely that the problem is Prazak can't afford the DVD printing without taking the pre-order money. Every time he announces that the DVDs are up for pre-order and will be released "next month". Then it takes 3-4 months at least before anything happens.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

So how bad is the Emma injury I've seen people talking about floating around on twitter

She's said she's back working this weekend.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

TheHock posted:

I'm not going to fly down to Florida for it this year, but I can't wait for Nicole Matthews to somehow be a 14th alternate again despite the fact that they don't have any Canadians in the tournament.

Chelsea Green and Allie are both Canadian...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Auritech posted:

Wait, in what universe was Tessa Blanchard one of the best women in the MYC? She was better than Marti Belle, sure, but there were ten women in that tournament whose name I would speak before hers would come up.

She had only one match, but it was easily the best match in the first round.

The people bitching about Io are ridiculous. She's never struck me as lifer like Satomura, I'm betting if she stays she's retired in a couple of years.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DM Punk posted:

The promoter is kind of a scumbag and multiple women have complained about him. Not to mention like half the roster up and quit the company a couple years ago. Lexi Fyfe also quit, and she was basically the co-founder of SHINE.

Who is the promoter?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DM Punk posted:

Sal Hamaoui

He's the part owner of WWN as well, right?

Seem to recall his main business is/was DVD printing back in the day, which presumably isn't doing too well now... Also something about his wife and child being killed in a car accident or something?

Let me guess though, he's dating Candy Cartwright? Her Shine push is the most inexplicable thing I've seen in a while.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Nixon Newell is now Tegan Nox apparently. Tegan is fine, the Nox just seems too much somehow? Besides, Becky Lynch used to be Rebecca Knox.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/nxt-superstar-gets-new-name/

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

They should have given her a proper Welsh name like Myfanwy Llewelyn-Bowen

Apparently Tegan is Welsh.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

I don't think they will. Tapings are set for August 8th and 9th. That being said, I hope they don't actually hold off on releasing the tournament footage until after Summerslam this time. Do a few episodes (2-3) a week.

We still haven't heard anything about how they're doing the final this time. Last time it was a match after a random Smackdown, which was fairly awful. Don't see them finishing up airing the tournament in time to put it on Takeover Brooklyn.

Prazak apparently isn't satisfied having the worst release schedule on DVD, he's decided the way to make the streaming service a success is to make the customers wait EVEN LONGER for shows:

"It’ll start off with the first 8 years of shows at first, and then we’ll add more shows on a regular basis after that. Newest material will be physical media and ClickWrestle first, and added to the streaming site later".

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Watched Kimber Lee vs Jordynne Grace from Beyond Wrestling, and that was quite the train wreck.

Kim was blown up three minutes in, and then Jordynne seemed to get knocked woozy. They kind of got it together for a while until they hit the finishing stretch. Jordynne went for the Vader Bomb and Kim was supposed to roll out of the way but she barely moved and got squashed. Then Kim went for the Swanton but misjudges badly and absolutely crushes Jordynne.

I get you want to put Kim over strong in her return, going over Tessa Blanchard the night before too, but with how over Jordynne is in Beyond and how awful Kim looked here I have to think Drew really regrets how he booked this.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

coconono posted:

if you're talking about the 4/29th matchup, I thought that match was a gritty fight. Kimber hits way out of her weight class and Jordynne's only getting stronger. Good poo poo would watch again.

Let's just say I strongly disagree. How about Kimber badly botching both big spots at the end?

BTW, I really have no idea where the weight class comes in. If Kimber weighs less than Jordynne it's absolutely minimal, although Jordynne is in far better shape.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
If their business plan was relying on paid seminars long term it's no wonder they're struggling. You might get good attendance a few times, but people aren't going to attend more than a few times. You're going to wear out the potential customer base quickly, and the recruitment to women's wrestling isn't nearly strong enough to replenish the pool quick enough.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Kaitlyn is the first MYC2 entrant.

I thought there was a Filipino one confirmed yesterday?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Auritech posted:

Io is saying American homes are roomy, which is true by Tokyo standards but I’m guessing the lodging WWE provides is below most other people’s benchmarks.

Which is funny because one of the names for Japanese apartments is literally “mansion” (my apartment, for example, is called that).

Don't think WWE provides housing, but for obvious reasons the wrestlers tend to congregate in the same areas. Also Io got rid of her apartment the first time she was signing and has been living with several roommates since.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

TheHock posted:

IPW tweeted this morning that Chelsea Green is cancelling her upcoming England tour "Due to unforeseen circumstances, which will become clearer in the next couple of weeks."

She's renewing her work visa and can't leave the country, at least that's what she's saying.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

coconono posted:

sure thing, Dave.

Prazak has to have the worst business sense of anyone in wrestling, which is saying something. He's just throwing money away and then complaining his company is struggling.

He's paying thousands and waiting years in order to have printed DVDs, when burning them would cost basically nothing. Would it even cost him a single sale?

His customer base is very small but extremely loyal. How does it then make sense to put only old shows, which they presumably already own, on the streaming service? I could see some buying physical even if you have the streaming site, but the other way around?

And then there's the number of fly-ins who don't draw a dime...

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cory Lidle posted:

I'd rather see the fly-ins than more of Kevin's RISE girls.

The question isn't who you'd like to see, the question is how many of them bring in anywhere close to the amount they cost.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Demtor posted:

This is hard to believe but now I have something extra to watch for when I get around to viewing that episode.

If you want to hear Cole having the time of his life, watch the first UK Tournament (second night is much better than the first).

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Rumor is she was supposed to win that match. Heartbreaking.

Meltzer has said she was supposed to win the whole tournament.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

AQA is rather new and raw but I am very high on her potential and a big pick for 2019

https://twitter.com/RISEdtwa/status/1076953228422639616

I'm going to back up Rovert on this one. She had an actively good match against Hyan only a few matches in. Much better than Barbi Hayden's match against Hyan on Ladies Night Out. I remember bigging her up on DVDVR before the Mae Young Classic.

My "should be signed right away" picks for 2019 are Kylie Rae and Willow Nightingale and my "new" up and comer is AQA (aka Angela).

Edit: Just to add; Reality of Wrestling (Booker T's promotion) has a really good women's division. Hyan may be the most underrated woman on the indies and A.Q.A may be the biggest talent.

There's also Jenna Lynn who is another good talent. She needs a lot of work on her presentation, but in-ring she is already good. Kylie Rae, who was trained here, has mostly moved on but still occasionally appears, and there are several other decent hands as well.

You can check them out on Fite TV and Youtube.

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 24, 2018

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

Prazak is threatening to become organised in 2019

https://twitter.com/SHIMMERwomen/status/1081664345355026432

And this is different from when he said similar things in 2018 how? Or 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014... I'll believe it when I see it.

Kylie Rae was in a video on UUDD and it was basically said she would have been in the MYC if not for her broken collarbone.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

rovert posted:

That's fairly well known. I think I've posted it here a few times at this stage. She even Like'd a tweet of my mine saying it a while back.

It's never been confirmed.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Nothing here.

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 11, 2019

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Hunter's point is actually the more valid, I think. Charlotte's basically coming at it from the 'shock' perspective. Imagining an Alexa Bliss wrestling the Big Show. But if you put Charlotte herself in the ring with, say, Finn Balor? She's actually going to be bigger than him. That's not necessarily going to read the same way, if they work a normal match. And that's the point, if you normalise it, then it stops being about the shock value, and you can tell the same stories as usual in the ring.
Trips has a better point with the notion that women shouldn't inherently NEED to wrestle guys to prove they're valid, because women's matches shouldn't be treated as lesser.

I don't believe IG is necessary at all at the WWE level. I believe it is very valuable at lower levels where the women get experience against a much wider variety of competition, and usually a higher level of competition as well..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

a lot of the ladies they were introducing the last couple weekends have gotten really pretty good in the interim. like sam heights and brittany blake and zoe lucas and jessica troy and indi hartwell are all obviously way more confident in what theyre doing than they were

Heights has been very good for years. Real shame she can't seem to get a break anywhere.