Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Evie's new name is actually pretty good IMO

It at least sounds like a believable name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Wrestling fans are the loving worst

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I watched the first two episodes and was a bit underwhelmed. The field of 32 wasn't deep so there were some clunky matches in there. JR and Lita are not good together (neither could call a move to save their lives) and the crowd is oddly dead. I guess it is just the typical Full Sail crowd that easily tuckers out and probably isn't as familiar with women's wrestling. I could see round 2 really picking up with the talent there, so I'm optimistic.

More detailed thoughts:

Episode 1

They couldn't find a better match of the 16 to open the tournament with? Sugehit and Kay Lee Ray were like oil and water and the finish fell totally flat.

Zeda was green as hell but there's potential. Having her talk about being bullied and then get soundly trounced by a bully was a bad look. Shayna probably gave too much even in this squash so I'm looking forward to her really getting to mix it up next round. Props to the dude who took a picture of Ronda's rear end while on camera for letting us all know he is a piece of poo poo.

Jazzy Gabert rules

Episode 2

Bless Mercedes Martinez for trying to walk Xia through that match. It looked very much like someone who can do cool kicks was given a vague idea of wresting and told to go.

What was that mentioned about Evers winning on an audible? That match was rough.

Rhea Ripley is going to be a star. She's mad charismatic and also tall as hell. Salinas had good character work but "tiny, arrogant rear end in a top hat" is a niche already filled in WWE.

Yim/Logan was the first match that seemed to live up to the tournament's potential. Sucks that one woman had to lose because they both looked good here. I hope Sarah Logan somehow morphs into a country shield maiden.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Caught up tonight

Episode 3

Toni Storm is so awesome and she oozes confidence. Kavita really only knew how to do a couple of things but she and Dakota probably had the best match possible with that limitation. The difference in how more experienced wrestlers lay in their strikes is really apparent in the first four episodes. Dakota's yakuza kick was brutal. Pretty surprised that Bianca Belair got the win but I'm not complaining. The hair attack rules. Piper Niven is the biggest winner of the first round for me. She looked awesome.

Episode 4

Candice has a great finisher with a great name and I'm glad she got to advance to face a better opponent in the second round. For those who have read all the spoilers, is Nicole Savoy's injury legit? I was concerned for her during the official announcement. Taynara Conti looks to have potential but if Ronda actual gets into wrestling, Conti is hosed because there won't be two judoka. Lacey Evans has a terrible gimmick but at least she uses the Dudebuster. Kairi/Tessa will likely be the Ibushi/Alexander of this tournament where it should have happened later. Hell of a start for Sane's WWE run though. The crowd went nuts when she signaled for the elbow. Everything about her presentation from her gear to her Ni No Kuni traveling music is just perfect.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I thought Candice's running was awkward in part because her opponent was bad and she didn't want to charge full steam at someone who wouldn't be ready.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Second round was so much better than the first.

Episode 5

Kairi Sane is such a star that it is ridiculous. Catching the kiss was almost as good as Nakamura eating a bullet. That said, Jesus Christ, Bianca Belair. If this is her after a year, she's going to be a big deal quickly. There's still a few edges to smooth over like transitions but she can seemingly do anything she wants physically and she already knows how to fit her character nicely into a match. That 450 wasn't smooth as hell and in it hard it on the near fall.

Abby Laith and a Rachel Evers had a solid match, but I don't see Abby surviving past the quarterfinals.

Unless Mercedes Martinez has a better match in the quarters, I can't see her getting signed off of this tourney. Her match with Sugehit was pretty unmarkable and the finish felt like they just went, "Ok, it's time to end now." Disappointing because I know she is good.

Piper/Serena was a good David vs Goliath match but I feel like Serena should have hit one spear then got caught on the second attempt after Piper wouldn't go down. As it was, the splash whiff felt like a non-factor.

Episode 6

Easily the best episode of the series so far. Not a bad match in the bunch. Toni Storm can really hold a crowd and she was a good person to give Lacey Evans the best match she's likely had thus far. Evans had some cool moves but she's at the point where she just needs to work with more experienced women to bring it all together.

Shayna/Mia was awesome because Shayna makes everything feel like a dirty fight. Hell of a tope suicide from Mia. I hope she gets signed. That flying knee counter could have easily been the finish and the RNC counter was just the cherry on top.

I thought I was all aboard the Rhea Ripley train but it turns out that I want Dakota Kai to be my best friend and also to kick every person in the world. Dakota is so drat good at playing the plucky underdog (helps that both of her opponents have been 6+ feet tall). Short of Aleister Black and Hideo Itami when he lets loose, she might have the best kicks in WWE. She did an awesome twisting deal to break the counter stalemate that really went unnoticed by the announcers (big shock) and that face wash was loving brutal. Her match with Kairi is fixing to be the tiniest women just brutalizing each other and I'm so ready.

Candice/Nicole Savoy was decent, but the entire story of the match was me wondering when Candice's body would finally recognize that she was clinically dead from the backdrop driver. Turns out you can hit your finisher from beyond the grave even when it isn't the tombstone :shrug:

JR and Lita still suck

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 6, 2017

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Episode 7

Laith/Martinez was alright. I don't think either of them had any standout moments from the first three rounds.

Baszler/LeRae was a great sprint that made Candice look great even though she got caught. JR and Lita missing the call on the Gargano Escape was unforgivable especially since they did redubs, but their whole MO seems to be just ignoring emotion to read the couple of bullet points

Storm/Niven ruled. The bridge spots were super fun and they did just enough that it didn't feel ridiculous. That german was hellacious. Also, I just want to say that the worst part of Toni not being signed is that we won't get to hear her sweet Tokyo Blade-esque music once the tournament is over.

Kairi/Dakota ruled even harder. It was just as I hoped – two tiny people beating each other up. It's obvious in this tournament who has Japanese experience because they really lay those strikes in.

I love how the brackets ended up being a mean, tough badass side and a Stardom side.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Episode 8

Holy poo poo that was the Mercedes Martinez I was waiting for the entire tournament. Beating the hell out of the most dominant wrestler in the tournament made her look so badass. Triple H giving roses to Shayna Baser is the weirdest goddamn thing I could have thought of.

Big shock, Kairi Sane and Toni Storm had the best match of the tournament. The ramp imprint on Kairi's face was gross. I really hope they don't give Shayna the tournament just because they want to have Ronda in the ring celebrating. Kairi has clearly made friends with the trophy and it needs to go home with her.

Somebody please sit Lita and JR down with a CAW function and make the learn the name of a couple moves before next week. Also, if the dude in the front row wearing an Izzymania shirt isn't related to her, he should be put on a loving list.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

MixxMaster posted:

Not a good match considering the hype. At least it didn't have the run-ins that most speculated, but having Shayna play a big monster as green as she is just didn't work well for me. They are already naming the Diving Elbow the Insane Elbow, lol WWE.

I wouldn't take a single word from Lita or JR to heart. We're lucky they didn't call it a knee dropping.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Super No Vacancy posted:

shida was very much in that kushida/ospreay camp where they scream a lot while selling and it's unpleasant

It wasn't the screaming but the whimpering and crying that made me so sad for her.

Unrelatedly, Rosemary doing a demon sit up to terrify some poser satanists was my favorite wrestling spot in ages.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

DarkstarIV posted:

To be honest, I'm sort of shocked WWE hasn't gone after signing Mayu yet. I say sort of, because she would be best suited to NXT for awhile, considering Vince and Dunn would hate her looks.

Don't really get why you're shocked

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

It definitely seems like they are setting up a story where Brandi has no clue what she has gotten herself into. Thankfully, we have a newly minted deathmatch wrestler to show her how people in Stardom feel about Oedo Tai.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Auritech posted:

I'm thinking of going to another Stardom show in May, but I'm not sure if I should go to a second Shin-Kiba 1st Ring show (especially since it's not going to be as dreadfully hot in May as in July, plus Shin-Kiba is just about four miles away from where I live) or go to my first Korakuen Hall show ever. Thoughts?

I've only been to one Stardom show but it was on Korakuen and I'd highly recommend it. Going to any show there would feel special and they will bring the bigger matches.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Rossy said his big four are Kagetsu, Mayu, Momo and Jungle Kyona. If Tam really isn't going, then I wonder why they seemingly dropped her rocket push.

It might be that you will never top "adorable wrestler gets bullied and finally stands up for herself in an exploding bat deathmatch" as a storyline, so they are just leaving things as perfect and moving on.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Auritech posted:

Kaitlyn is before my time, can someone point me to something I can watch?

She and AJ made the best spear/victim combo. That's pretty much all there is to know.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

rovert posted:

Io got the same poo poo spartan Winter Park/Balwin Park apartment everyone gets

https://twitter.com/shirai_io/status/1017182087567298561

Based on my experience with the size of Japanese apartments, she must feel like she's in a mansion.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

DarkstarIV posted:

If Triple H has his way, probably several years from now, or never (Carmella will likely be irrelevant or gone from the company in a few years).

Did you seriously just curse us to a multiple year long reign?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

This tournament is stacked with killers. I can't wait to see the brackets.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

coconono posted:

I'm pretty sure I follow SHIMMER Women on twitter but I very rarely see them tweet show flyers or announcements. I'm more likely to see the women mention that they'll be in Berwyn and people should come hang out(except coco, he stays home).

I attended one show and get mailed a flyer every single time they are running Berwyn. So that's hundreds of dollars being wasted on postage when a tweet would be more successful and no cost. Prazak is bad at business.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I have to think Killer Kelly earned a spot on a Sendai Girls tour with that showing. It was a hell of a match and Meiko seemed impressed.

Rest of the show was pretty good too. Tegan was a plucky babyface that everyone loved and it looked like she busted Zatara's face with that shining wizard. Rhea Ripley will be a really big deal because she is a hoss who doesn't have to fit into the monster role. I always thought a pumphandle powerbomb would be rad and sure enough it is. Lacey Lane is on the right track and just needs some experience. Kraven was probably the perfect opponent to give he an underdog win and have a veteran around to help guide the match.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Zeuxis is really bad.

The wheelbarrow driver in the main event was really good.

Ninja Warrior should only ever wrestle giants and treat them like an obstacle course.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Devita has no business being on TV but Kaitlyn's intensity saved that match. Good to know her spear can still kill anyone regardless of size.

I miss Toni Storm's first MYC theme. It was perfect.

Karen Q/Xia Li having a full king fu exchange like it was a Shaw Bros movie was rad. Didn't expect Xia to pick up the win here, but she looked much improved.

I really don't like Allysin Kay and I think it is over emoting. The finish was great though. Hopefully Mia brought extra gear to the tapings so she isn't constantly doing a Misawa tribute in the second round.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Mary Annette posted:

I hope she brought extra gear because she seemed to be wrestling with her pants almost as much as her opponent.

:thejoke:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Three of the for matches were brutal as hell. Can't wait for Toni Storm and Hiroyo. Should be a barnburner.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Meiko/Mercedes will be hard to top for the tournament. Even Cole couldn't help but yell hell yeah at the end. I truly hope that Lacey Lane doesn't get some contrived underdog victory over Meiko. Lacey is green as hell and shouldn't be sniffing the quarter finals at all. Unfortunately, Meiko uses a DVD which plays right into Lacey's finisher that requires her opponent to put her in position.

Toni/Hiroyo was great but Full Sail has not seemed to care about Hiroyo at all. Guess they only got room to love a limited number of joshi.

Throwing up the super rookie alarm for ninja warrior. She even recovered nicely from a botch albeit with Rhea taking control of the situation. Kacey being so tiny that Rhea had to deadlift her no matter what for the Rip Tide was a great visual. Solid finisher name too.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Zeuxis looked a lot better this round but it would be almost impossible to look as bad as her first round. I thought it was weird that she did a ton of Io's big moves though without it being a part of the story. It was like she just didn't care when deciding what to do. Hopefully Io has gotten used to WWE rings now so she can stick a moonsault.

Xia Li got pretty fun within a year. Deonna looked vicious on attacking the arm and the ending hold was brutal.

Nicole Matthews should never go to that gear maker ever again. Good thing she didn't make the quarters because I shudder to think what type of malfunction she'd have there.

Main event was a good match and much better than I'd expect from someone coming off the shelf after years. Hopefully Kaitlyn sticks around.

The quarters are absolutely stacked but Lacey Lane sticks out like a sore thumb. If she somehow beats Meiko, I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

She's rookie Angle level. I have no problem with a rocket being strapped to her.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Mercedes Martinez announced tonight at the Pride show that RISE is no longer just a women's promotion. I assume based on the rhetoric and feel of the show that they will now pivot to being a promotion based more around women and LGBTQ-friendly wrestling.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I cannot stress enough how disturbing the post was and you should not go out of your way to see it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Hana was the nicest wrestler I ever met and watching her on Terrace House brought so much joy into our household. She did not deserve the abuse and it’s loving heartbreaking that this is what it led to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I’m concerned that the lesson being taken from this tragedy by a lot of people (not accusing anyone here) is basically “Fuji canceled the show and the problem is solved.” I understand being relieved the show is gone because it’s the most obvious choice, but Terrace House was not the issue, especially when you consider the grand scope of reality TV (ReaLove, anyone?). The issue is entertainment companies seeing people solely as disposable means of making money and offering them no support. The issue is Twitter allowing unrestricted harassment with no attempt to silence bad actors. It’s just a deeply rooted problem with companies and fandom that crops up in K-Pop and reality TV, and it’s crushing to see that the cycle will continue while the profiteers pretend to care.

This whole thing is just so horrible and I hope everyone is doing OK as we try to process it.