Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

MixxMaster posted:

They are already naming the Diving Elbow the Insane Elbow, lol WWE.

Didn't they just name it Sailing the Seas a couple episodes ago, or am I misremembering things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Cavauro posted:

The Hellbow

El Elbow

Skyri Sane

X Marks The Spot

The Old Sea Dog at the Admiral Elbow

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thar She Elblows

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I just got back from Kagetsu's first self-produced show in Osaka and it was a really great time! Pretty short card with only five matches, and most of them well under fifteen minutes, but they were all good in their own way. The real standouts for me were Kris Wolf vs. Kaho Kobayashi, who had good chemistry and made for one of Kris' best matches imo; Hiroyo Matsumoto and HUB vs. Hikaru Shida and Kohei Sato, which played the intergender thing for laughs at first but turned pretty brutal pretty quick; and of course Kagetsu vs. Io Shirai, which was as good as it sounds.

In her closing remarks, Kagetsu confessed that for a long time she'd been planning to use the event to announce her retirement, but a lot of help and support from Io had led her to a change of heart. Which is a relief, because going by her recent performances, Kagetsu is the best she's ever been. She's definitely showing that she deserves a spot alongside the bigger names in Stardom.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, she's easily among my absolute favorites. Thanks to the lovely Japanese sentence structure, it was a while before there was any definite indicator that she wasn't retiring after all, so you could almost hear the whole room's jaws dropping and then picking back up as she spoke.

There were a few video cameras around, so it should make its way somewhere sooner or later.

Another thing that was cool was that there were a lot of women and kids in the crowd, compared to the, uh, consistency of most Stardom crowds. (I know this wasn't a Stardom event but there was a lot of Stardom talent and fan presence there too.)

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
On the other hand, Kris starting late lets me know there's still time for me to quit my dead-end job and make a name for myself doing what I really love: terrorizing small Japanese children

I really hope video from Kagetsu's show a couple weeks back gets released somewhere. Kris' match with Kaho Kobayashi is probably the best of her matches I've ever seen.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
If Stardom have any brains they'll pour all the money they saved by not hiring Emma into ads that just say "Do you like Kairi Sane in the WWE? Then you'll love her dressed as Arale-chan and losing at paper-scissors-rock."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I guess some of y'all might be interested in this. I translated the interview that Yahoo Sports did with Kagetsu last week: https://johnnytetsupipe.wordpress.com/2017/11/19/kagetsus-ambition/

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Definitely. It almost feels wrong even saying they "bounce back" quickly after losing a major talent, because you barely notice the original drop. Kagetsu deserves a push like crazy, and it's really gratifying to see her get it after keeping an eye on her since blue gear/zebra tights times. I can't wait until Mayu's all healed up because I would gladly watch her and Kagetsu locked in eternal conflict until Zeus gets bored and turns them into constellations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, Oedo Tai are probably my favorite thing in wrestling now but Sumire Natsu's not really doing anything for me as a member. Assuming they keep her on, I hope they at least tone down the "Hana and Tam are grumpy about the new sexy member" bit by the time Tam's wrestling again because Oedo Tai are awesome as a tightly-knit family of malcontents against the entire rest of the promotion.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, I guess reading it written out like that, that's closer to how I feel about the angle, too. It's also a way for them to have a fourth for eight-woman matches while Tam recovers. I've seen Sumire outside of Stardom and thought she was alright but yeah, I don't really buy her as anything but short-term for OT.

e: oh whoops. lol I was in the room for that match but forgot about the shirt. To be fair I'm not sure whether they're actually selling it (yet) or not.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 1, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Kagetsu's show from October is coming to Stardom World after all:

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/940979955478888448

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

TheHock posted:

When I first heard about Tam being bounced from Oedo Tai, I was disappointed because Tam's such a great part of the act and they'd just got done with a "Are Oedo Tai breaking up"? storyline, but in retrospect this is probably the best thing for her career. Her evil manager act is great, but now that she's back wrestling I'm not sure where she'd fit in their pecking order. This is ultimately best for her singles career. Maybe she can go back to being a samurai.

Yeah, I was also bummed at first, but the more I think about it the better I think this could work out for both Tam and Oedo Tai. Hopefully she'll take a lot of their recent cutesy act with her so people who want to see idol Tam Nakano will get what they want and she can develop more as a wrestler while Oedo Tai slides back towards being more out-and-out heels (I know there are like three people in the whole world who agree with me but I've been waiting for them to dial back the stuffed panda stuff since the moment it started). Especially now that they're setting up Kagetsu in her rightful position as a real threat to Io.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 24, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

coconono posted:

the Queen's Quest/ Oedo Tai match is up now. Its the faction elimination dealie.

here's the direct link:
https://ct.uliza.jp/stardom_en/pc/play.aspx?episodeid=2018_01_21_09

Jesus, Rossy, what did Kris ever do to you

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Sure but there's gotta be ways of booking around that that aren't feeding her to AZM of all people in five seconds

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I loved the Reika Saiki/Yuka Sakazaki vs. Maki Ito/Mizuki tag. I'm seeing TJP for the first time when they come to Osaka in April, and I really hope Reika is with them then (she just returned from a month or so away assumedly focusing on her band with Ladybeard). She was the first reason I started watching TJP and I want her to destroy me at arm wrestling. Maki is also great - her gimmick is she started wrestling after failing as an idol singer, fueled by an entitled streak a mile wide and the world's sourest grapes - and it feels like she's improved a lot in a pretty short time.

I wasn't a huge fan of Nonoko (a recent retiree who originally did the boob parody moves; having huge breasts was her whole gimmick and the joke kind of wears thin after the first dozen matches) but it's kind of fun seeing Yuna Manase take up the mantle. That said I hope they don't go too hard on the bit because I think she has more upside without it than Nonoko did.

I will say that Maho Kurone challenging Yamashita for the belt was probably the last thing I expected, but I'm intrigued.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 18, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

The Reika Saiki vs. Miyu Yamashita match from their January 4th show might be the best women's match I've seen this year.

Agreed, though admittedly that's partially because I can't really count "The Kagetsu/Io and Kagetsu/Viper parts of the Oedo Tai/Queen's Quest 5-way" as a match per se.

The tag on the 12th leading into tonight's main was also a lot of fun - Miyu and Maki vs. Yuna and Shoko Nakajima, who I also really like - but tonight's was better.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Japanese commentators seem to play faster and looser with kayfabe in general than announcers from English-speaking countries. I know I've heard even New Japan's commentators discussing who's the heel and who's the face at length, using those exact terms.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

DarkstarIV posted:

Fuka Kakimoto (GM of STARDOM and one of the big wigs there) was hospitalized. Apparently she may be giving birth way earlier than estimated. I think she said she was expecting it around late March/Early April, but its still February.

Yeah, in her blog she said she's feeling healthy and everything should be fine. She hopes to put in an appearance at Dream Slam on March 28, but she's going to miss everything from now until then at least.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I understand way less of what Martina says than I do of anything any Japanese wrestlers say

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

coconono posted:

DDT Pro's live stream never works reliably for me but I caught part of the live show and ended up watching their Shinkiba show, which was pretty fun. Its very idol heavy but the women went to fuckin WAR on some matches.

The main event from yesterday's live show, Yuu and Nodoka vs. Saki-sama (who also shows up in DDT as Saki Akai) and Azusa was really good. The latter two have really stepped up their game since winning the TJP tag belts, Yuu is fantastic, and while Nodoka is kind of a jobber and has a very strange gimmick (her character is based on NHK kids' show hosts) she's super solid.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I live in Osaka and I am so goddamn jealous of Nagoya's Dream Slam card it isn't funny. The Osaka Dream Slam show is basically just the same sort of show Stardom always puts on in Osaka, which ain't bad, but compared to Nagoya's...

I was hoping for a big Kagetsu singles match, since it's her hometown and she's the size of everyone else put together on the poster for the event, but the Oedo Tai vs. Apaches tag should be fun.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

Can any of you explain the context of this clip? Io and HZK pushing some car out of the mud on Japanese TV.

Sukatto Japan is a variety show where people write in about little moments in their life that annoy them. In every episode they have comedians and minor talent act out a few longer stories about really satisfying conclusions to aggravating situations - "Our boss always makes us go to karaoke and acts like a real dick about how he's the best singer. Last month, he forced a shy new hire into a duet with him... and that's when we learned the new guy's a trained opera singer." That sort of thing.

The story in the clip is pretty self-explanatory, just add that the guy makes a bunch of sexist comments throughout - "pffft, figures when someone else shows up, it's a coupla dumb broads who probably don't know anything about cars. Not like it'd matter if you did, because you couldn't move the car anyway, what with your fragile womanhood and all." Then Io and HZK move the car, sarcastically apologize for being women and get the guy tickets to the gun show.

Gaz-L posted:

The other complaints are likely a combination of the vaguely icky idol element of joshi and Japan's very enforced gender roles (ie, death match wrestling isn't 'feminine')

Yeahhh, more than a few tweets replying to the announcement on Stardom's Japanese twitter are poo poo like "What if someone got their skin scratched up? Stardom, rethink this." Most of them also don't seem to consider that an exploding bat match isn't necessarily, like, a barbed wire deathmatch with light tubes or whatever. I can't say if it's a joshi-in-general thing - I dunno how strongly memories of gnarly 90s joshi linger in the modern Japanese joshi fan memory - but it's definitely a Stardom thing. Wrestling Omakase made a great point in their recent Stardom history episode that, though it's easy to forget because they do have incredibly talented, relatively big-name wrestlers, Stardom is still a fundamentally idol-focused promotion. (The episode as a whole is a great 1.5-hour podcast unfortunately scattered across three hours.)

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 8, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

DarkstarIV posted:

Apparently Kris Wolf may not be returning to STARDOM, at least any time soon. Her actual job over there (STARDOM was a side gig, apparently) refused/couldn't get her a new work visa, and she has to leave the country as a result. She's apparently coming back to tour Europe and work at various wrestling promotions in the US. Maybe it will change in the future, but that sucks.

I want to treat this scoop with the same healthy skepticism I treat most Meltzer joshi reports, but she's been selling off boxes of stuff from her apartment on twitter lately and I've known maybe two people in my life who actually went through with doing that when they weren't expecting a big move.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
He is kind of a doofus too but less than the last guy. They've only made Sonny delete his reddit account once so far

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Dream Slam Osaka's main event was really good! Some audience dude got shoot mad at Hana Kimura for crowd brawling right next to me and she just made faces at him.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Sumire Natsu is a trooper.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Hey now, Stardom's local audience loved Kris Wolf.

Loved :smith:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Just got back from my first live Tokyo Joshi Pro show. They don't come out to Osaka often and get pretty small-time venues when they do, so it was a bunch of not-too-consequential tags so everyone outside of Tokyo gets to see all their favorites (the only singles match was between two Up Up Girls), but it was still a great time. Hyper Misao and Priscilla Kelly were way more fun as a team than I expected; Yuu and Yuki Kamifuku vs. NEO Biishikigun ended exactly as everyone knew it would the moment it was announced; the main event - Miyu Yamashita, Reika Saiki and Marika Kobashi vs. Rika Tatsumi, Maho Kurone and Maki Ito - was clearly there to feed Yamashita and Tatsumi's upcoming Korakuen match but it had a pretty unexpected (to me) ending.

Stone Pitbull Nodoka Oneesan is even smaller in real life than she looks on TV.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Go RV! posted:

Why the hell were the people on a tour picked as well? Are all the new women passing through going to get put into a group as well?

I'm curious as to whether there was anything said at the draft that might expand upon this, but I guess we'll have to wait for the video to go up to see. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but I'll admit that the idea of Kagetsu looking over everyone who was left and saying, "Martina. Welp, that should do it for us, smell ya later," while all the remaining full-time and established members of the roster look on in disbelief is pretty funny.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I'm actually a little surprised and impressed that Stardom took her on instead of getting gunshy (weedshy?) about it like New Japan supposedly did with Matt Riddle.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Oh, if drinking $2 tallboys is problematic, then every single person in Japan is problematic. I'm pretty sure I've seen her make copious weed references on social media and a few fliers where she's shown smoking blunts (not necessarily weed but, like, come on), though, which is the part I thought they might trip over.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Both Reika and Miyu have very recently had good (albeit short) singles matches against Marika Kobashi, which might be a good next step for both of them. The three of them tagged together last weekend to build to Miyu's next defense, but I dunno if video's online yet or not. Most of Reika and Miyu's Princess of Princess title defenses are also really solid (subliminal message: watch Yuu's too, Yuu is great). TJPW only has a handful of workers of Miyu and Reika's caliber, but all the Good Wrestlers do a good job putting on compelling matches with the "lower tier" ladies. (I only call them that for lack of a better word, since TJPW is so heavily focused on characters and pretty much everyone brings their A game as far as that goes).

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

DarkstarIV posted:

Looks like a major STARDOM match was set for next week.

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/988617138536509440

This has the potential to be one of the best female matches in any promotion this year, to be honest.

Their singles match last October was fantastic, as was their bit in the 5-v-5. I'm really, really looking forward to this. I'm fully expecting Kagetsu to walk away with the belt but I guess it could go either way.

The "Wear Another Wrestler's Costume" battle royal on the same card sounds like a good time but I'm having a hard time imagining QQ coming up with it. It sounds like something Oedo Tai would make everyone do.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There are English recap shows for the bigger TJPW events, but other than that, there's no English options, commentary or subtitle-wise. Stardom's subtitles can be janky, but they're still one area where they're ahead of TJPW in terms of production value. It seems like DDT is teetering on the verge of catering more actively to a foreign audience, though - they even put up an actual English description of the upcoming changes to their subscription service. I really wish they'd subtitle the new weekly Maji Manji shows, since those would make a great introduction.

It depends how you define "English friendly," I guess. Again, all the content is in Japanese, but the site itself isn't too tough to navigate, especially if you train yourself to recognize a few wrestlers' names in Japanese. TJPW in particular is heavy on character work, but most of the characters are pretty recognizable and it's not hard to kind of intuit what's going on, especially if you also read the recaps on Dramatic DDT.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Go RV! posted:

Yeesh. If Japan hates weed that much, I can't imagine how low a view they have of meth.

It's not that much lower than their view of weed, all things considered, but that says volumes more about how hard they are on weed than how soft they are on meth. Either way,

Go RV! posted:

Her career is over now, yeah?

Yeah. If she's still a Mexican citizen, she'll also probably be deported and forbidden from returning to Japan.

To be 100% fair, I haven't seen anywhere confirming that it actually was meth, but the word they've been using is a catch-all term for stimulants that, when you hear it in the news, means amphetamines way more often than not. They're kind of Japan's drug of choice.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

Here's an article on the Ayako Hamada situation. Can anyone with a better grip of Japanese than Google give the gist of this?

https://miruhon.net/97571

It sounds like she told Sendai Girls she was attacked by four men with a knife and they told the police leading to her having a urine sample taken where they found the drugs?

Yeah, looks like that's pretty much how it played out. Wild. They just go over that in the opening paragraph and the rest of the article is giving background on who she is, her wrestling history and family, how nobody figured her for the type to use drugs, etc. The weirdest thing is this bit towards the end, after describing how she's become known as the "world-famous Ayako Hamada" due to being well-regarded in Japan, Mexico and the US:

quote:

Perhaps, as she watched from afar as her old rival Kana bathed in the WWE spotlight, every mention of the 'world-famous Ayako Hamada' became just another link in the chain she wound around herself.

which just seems like some weirdo editorializing to me; there's not, like, any quotes or anything about that.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 16, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I love that he repeated that spot with someone's can of coffee in his TJPW match with Hyper Misao, but then, I love literally every part of that match

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

Rossy said his big four are Kagetsu, Mayu, Momo and Jungle Kyona. If Tam really isn't going, then I wonder why they seemingly dropped her rocket push.

Not for nothin' but Tam's not half as good at wrestling as any of those four, and Stardom knows she's a draw whether she's getting pushed or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's not even Sexy Star in the picture. It's Lady Sensacion.