Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Junk posted:

Not advisable for tourists to visit the canals at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I enjoyed the part where the man gets his dick replaced by a telescopic vibrator.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I don't care how accidentally or intentionally it happened because deus ex is still the greatest game ever made

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I WAS walkin' here...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Space Crabs posted:

pacifist runs are for limp wristed bitch cowards, if you didn't select the GEP gun from alex at the start of the game you can straight go gently caress yourself.

Also the superior way to play was to console spawn 100 cats and grind your game to a halt as they bounce around the dock, flying into the air every time they hit the water.
The GEP gun is the pacifist choice. As the universal lock pick it lets you bypass a bunch of fights.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Junk posted:

I WAS walkin' here...

JC Denton

In the fresh

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Deus Ex was a strange game I was too bad a player at to fully enjoy. The game is actually still playable because of its weirdo mechanics.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Breakfast Feud posted:

The game is actually still playable because of its weirdo mechanics.

Yeah I just played through Deus Ex and Human Revolution recently and was surprised how well Deus Ex still plays.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I played it like 3 years ago now and even though I was dogshit awful at it, it was still fun. The first half life is kind of in the same boat, but less so. I think a lot of the reason I'm so bad at Deus Ex is that I'm too used to newer shooters where the answer is always obvious and there's barely any reward for trying random poo poo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think for new players it's hard to find all the hidden spots in levels that give you augs and exp.

Last time I played I used a guide to find the augs because it's easy to miss some of them and they are crucial.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I loving got to Hong Kong with like three augs and then looked at a walkthrough that was telling me to use all these augs I didn't have and welp

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Breakfast Feud posted:

Deus Ex was a strange game I was too bad a player at to fully enjoy. The game is actually still playable because of its weirdo mechanics.

Agreed although it really is terribly balanced. Half the skills and augs are useless and the other half will make you an invincible golden god by the time you get to Versalife.

I still install and beat it every couple years because it's just so drat charming and fun. Maxing out rifles and sniping out cameras and doors from halfway across the map, killing that guy in the missile silo by breaking both your legs on his face, the conversation with Morpheus, loading up the hotel lobby with every TNT crate and LAM in New York so it kills all the dudes that spawn when you rescue Paul and turns your monitor solid white for 10 seconds...

Bless this game, we will never see its like again

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cubone posted:

the bartender in hong kong still cracks me up

what is your life, bartender?

ahaha I was too young the last time I played through while paying attention to everything to appreciate this

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Also people pining for the gameplay should play Prey it's reeaaaaaaallllyyyy good and has its own breakable mechanics

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
It's so perfect how a background rendering issue led the developers to write in that the WTC had been attacked in the events leading up to the game, and then the game comes out a year before 9/11

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Also people pining for the gameplay should play Prey it's reeaaaaaaallllyyyy good and has its own breakable mechanics
Still super sad that the real Prey 2 got canceled.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
dude sex: a man's hind divided
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lqd9OE1P5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t08M1uhh90I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai4Uf2ZFjc

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 29, 2017

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The new ones are good games. They aren't as wild or crazy as the original but nothing was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

I did it! I did it!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Junk posted:

I did it! I did it!
here's a present

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

a hole-y ghost posted:

here's a present

God was a dream of good government.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

OregonDonor posted:

It's so perfect how a background rendering issue led the developers to write in that the WTC had been attacked in the events leading up to the game, and then the game comes out a year before 9/11

red alert 2 yuri's revenge and dream theater's new york live album had to change their album covers because they both showed the wtc being attacked and september 11 happened shortly after both were designed l o l

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0U7OUtRvXM

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWdCqXzaHoU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N2fqCQ32SE

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZsytldc6Nk

this video is 10 years old

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6eeeq_2TE

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

OregonDonor posted:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Legit question is this still worth playing or has it aged badly? I missed out on this one as a kid. Should I just skip to Human Revolution?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Neurosis posted:

Some cool awesome op made a thread about that in games.

Get out of here, Denton.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The people are starting to get desperate.

Your turn.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Electronic old men
Running the world

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Chrs Gry posted:

Legit question is this still worth playing or has it aged badly? I missed out on this one as a kid. Should I just skip to Human Revolution?
Has it aged badly? That's kind of hard to say. In many respects, the graphics, voice acting, and gameplay were all rather clunky even when it came out. To us fanatics, that's a major part of its charm.
Human Revolution is a really good game, don't get me wrong, but it's very different from Deus Ex.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

JAY SEE DENTON, IN DA FRESSSSHHH!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

a hole-y ghost posted:

Has it aged badly? That's kind of hard to say. In many respects, the graphics, voice acting, and gameplay were all rather clunky even when it came out. To us fanatics, that's a major part of its charm.
Human Revolution is a really good game, don't get me wrong, but it's very different from Deus Ex.

It's a low polygon window into a really weird world. My favorite game of all time.

I speeeel my dreeeenk.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 29, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you're playing it for the first time don't take the swimming, environment or medical skills because they're all worthless. You'll not get enough skill points to upgrade more than 2 weapons, computers to max and then electronics/lockpicking to a decent level since you can bypass most of those later on.

Always take run speed and jump augment over silent running and max it first and get the health regeneration since with that maxed you're basically invincible. After that its just picking what sounds fun since they're more situational.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you're playing for the first time, install Biomod. It's essentially a vanilla rebalance patch. You won't notice the difference if you've never played before, and it smooths a couple things out in terms of augs and skills. I don't even notice the difference anymore, and I've played Deus Ex a ton.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

The first level is also bland and unintuitive, plus you don't have any good weapons or augs yet so it can be frustrating to get through. Quicksave a lot, don't gently caress with the robots, and conserve your ammo. Game gets better.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Chrs Gry posted:

It's aged a lot better than a lot of other games. It makes the most out of the mechanics it has so it doesn't make you feel that if the engine/design were better you could do more, if that makes sense. If you're concerned about graphics and AI then yeah, it's aged pretty badly in that regard. The story is really good and I had a lot of fun just seeing how many different ways you could beat missions. Definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Chrs Gry posted:

I didn't play the original Deus Ex for the first time until 2010 and I absolutely adored it, but I used a graphics mod so that I could set the resolution to something modern. To give you context, System Shock 2 was too dated for me, but Deus Ex wasn't. (Although the fact that I was playing SS2 for the first time in co-op with someone who knew the game like the back of their hand might have killed my enjoyment of it somewhat)

Also stick with the prod, take the GEP Gun at the start, the GEP gun takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate Manderley, the pistol is amazing, etc.

schmitty9800 posted:

The first level is also bland and unintuitive, plus you don't have any good weapons or augs yet so it can be frustrating to get through. Quicksave a lot, don't gently caress with the robots, and conserve your ammo. Game gets better.

The first level is great imo. It's wide open and full of secrets and cool poo poo to find.

Also :siren: THE GAME DOES NOT AUTO SAVE :siren: so mash your quicksave bind every 2 minutes even if you're just talking with NPCs or whatever. I'm telling you this so you can skip the "My First Deus Ex Playthrough" rite of passage of dying after spending an hour and a half exploring the first level and then having to start a new game.

• Locked thread