Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
MJ12 Soldier: [coughs]

Jose posted:

Square considered every game for ages a failure been if it sold a few million copies because they wasted so much money on one of the final fantasies and as a result targeted 10 million sales

To be fair I remember reading that Mankind Divided actually did sell pretty poorly for a big AAA game and compared to Human Revolution. I loved the poo poo out of HR but I didn't buy MD after they put out the Director's Cut of HR a year after release I figured I would just wait until they inevitably did the same with MD. Also after the Augment Your Preoder debacle and the news that they were leaning so hard into DLC and microtransactions I wasn't going to be an early adopter, and the reviews complaining about it being essentially unfinished and having single-use DLC certainly didn't change my mind.

the mean lunch lady posted:

What are the good mods to get for someone who has never played the game before? I bought it a couple months ago, but didn't start playing until I read this thread.

I would definitely second Biomod. It has Shifter built in which fixes some small glitches and balance issues and adds some extras like unique weapons hidden in levels, but Biomod is huge ease of use improvement because instead of having a dozen different augmentations that all have to be manually toggled and micromanaged it makes some be always active and not require power while other are context sensitive and only activate as needed.

Like, if you've played Human Revolution imagine if you had to manually switch on the augs that did things like reduce bullet damage or you fall without taking damage and that's what vanilla/Shifter Deus Ex is like and what Biomod fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

gary oldmans diary posted:

a certain enemy that doesnt usually leave a corpse can be knocked out so you can see what they carry
Is that the enemy that occasionally mutters creepy poo poo to themselves?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im sure i dont know what you mean

pepper spray > prod > prod or baton (save 1 prod ammo by using baton instead)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
max out the strength aug and throw giant metal containers at everyone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

or in invisible war where you throw corpses really hard and can kill people with them

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jose posted:

or in invisible war where you throw corpses really hard and can kill people with them

owns

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

that micro transactions stuff in human revolution turned out to be bullshit mainly anyway. there was that and the single use dlc that was basically useless after an hour of gameplay anyway

like, a single use praxis kit isnt that important when youre inundated with them by halfway through the game

that dlc model was full bore retarded but ironically it didnt have much to do with the game in reality

E: i meant mankind divided

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 30, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

square are really poo poo at everything they do

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I have a brand new copy of mankind divided for the ps4 that I got for 4$ at target lol... Might have to finally dig into it this weekend

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its alright but a lot of the new augs are kind of pointless since you get a weapon or something that does the same thing. the armour aug is good because at the end of the game when you've got so many protein shakes you can't run out of energy you can keep it switched on and you're invincible

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The dumb thing about Mankind Divided was that they tried the exact same bullshit of being essentially unfinished and ending with a sequel hook with the tablet game and it also underperformed and led to a planned trilogy being aborted.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the new mod that lets you tranq 4 dudes at once is the tits though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jose posted:

In Human Revolution one time I jumped off the top of a tall ladder and Icarus landed on a guy and KO'd him, and sent his body flying with such force that he flew into another guy and knocked him out too

e: also I like that one character you meet fairly early in the game who's secretly a member of the Illuminati, just because when Jensen first meets him he says something along the lines of "Thanks for this conversation, it was very illuminating. :grin:"

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i hope square shits out and sells eidos to bethesda

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

the new mod that lets you tranq 4 dudes at once is the tits though

I used this, the PEPS because it was my favorite gun in HR, and the ranged hack upgrade, but I was doing a non-lethal run. HR and MD kinda make non-lethal really easy though with how good the stun gun, tranq rifle, and PEPS are.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Heaven Spacey posted:

I used this, the PEPS because it was my favorite gun in HR, and the ranged hack upgrade, but I was doing a non-lethal run. HR and MD kinda make non-lethal really easy though with how good the stun gun, tranq rifle, and PEPS are.

yeah, i nonlethaled HR and MD pretty easily. MD is much harder to ghost though. for some reason

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Blue Raider posted:

that micro transactions stuff in human revolution turned out to be bullshit mainly anyway. there was that and the single use dlc that was basically useless after an hour of gameplay anyway

like, a single use praxis kit isnt that important when youre inundated with them by halfway through the game

that dlc model was full bore retarded but ironically it didnt have much to do with the game in reality

E: i meant mankind divided

The way it was talked about online was like it was this huge offensive thing but if you actually played the game you won't notice it outside of the main-menu.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

murder everyone in all of them but especially louis pan

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jose posted:

square are really poo poo at everything they do

its really quite amazing. they hemorage buttfuckton of money on subsidizing all their final fantasy failrues then cancel and fuckover all their published western dev games when they don't make 9999 billion bucks like tomb raider was considered a dissapointed despite selling very well

Sleeping dogs was one of the best open world games and then instead of letting the United Front Games make sleeping dogs 2, they made them make some lovely triad wars moba-dlc-mmo thing or something which got cancelled and then the developers shut down lmao

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

At least HITMAN managed to escape the clutches of Square-Enix-Eidos mostly unscathed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Xaris posted:

its really quite amazing. they hemorage buttfuckton of money on subsidizing all their final fantasy failrues then cancel and fuckover all their published western dev games when they don't make 9999 billion bucks like tomb raider was considered a dissapointed despite selling very well

Sleeping dogs was one of the best open world games and then instead of letting the United Front Games make sleeping dogs 2, they made them make some lovely triad wars moba-dlc-mmo thing or something which got cancelled and then the developers shut down lmao

what makes this even worse is they lay these expectations on games like deus ex which might sell well and be awesome, but itll never light the world on fire just by its nature

the dishonored games dont do super well either, but the magic of realistic expectations is that arkane gets to keep making them and bethesda keeps footing the (appropriately costed) bill

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Blue Raider posted:

the dishonored games dont do super well either, but the magic of realistic expectations is that arkane gets to keep making them and bethesda keeps footing the (appropriately costed) bill

idk about that much anymore. dishonored 1 was def a sleeper hit and beth funded them more to make a second one. but bethesda seems rather disapointed with dishonored 2 and prey sales, some big guy at arkane just left but maybe that was actually his choice and not pub-dev politicking.

but yea i agree, squeenix is just terrible all around. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations https://gamerant.com/square-enix-tomb-raider-sales-loss/

hopefully hitman devs do ok, i think they're probably going to be hurting pretty bad since it didn't sell that well, idk but at least they survived

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 30, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just stick the next one on kickstarter and get a 20m input from nerds

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how many copies of final fantasy are they even selling lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Xaris posted:

idk about that much anymore. dishonored 1 was def a sleeper hit and beth funded them more to make a second one. but bethesda seems rather disapointed with dishonored 2 and prey sales, some big guy at arkane just left but maybe that was actually his choice and not pub-dev politicking.

but yea i agree, squeenix is just terrible all around. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Ah, i didnt know about any of that. im not surprised prey is underperforming though. it was barely marketed at all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Blue Raider posted:

Ah, i didnt know about any of that. im not surprised prey is underperforming though. it was barely marketed at all
bethesda is loving terrible and actively awful at marketing

remember doom4 had like no marketing, and what bethesda published and put out was intentionally slowed down like 50% gameplay videos showing cinematic punch-kills over and over and everything thought the game was going to be some slow piece of poo poo?

fortunately like 3 days prior to launch, nvidia put out their own independent video showing fast rear end action and lots of good shooting which convinced enough people to buy it at launch to spread the good-word of mouth over how good it was. but jfc bethesda was loving terrible.

also they sent out like no preview/had an embargo on dishonored 1 which is like major red flag to every normal person, which means they have no faith the game is going to be good. turns out it was really good but nice way to hamstring your loving developers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

publishers seem really bad at their jobs lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
tbf he could have just wanted to leave. i think we'll probably know more if arkane starts downsizing or something by the end of the year

http://www.vg247.com/2017/06/27/raphael-colantonio-is-stepping-down-as-arkane-studios-co-director/

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

yeah, i dont love bethesda or anything but theyre the only ones allowing games like doom or prey to even be made anymore. imagine if somebody put a proposal for prey on the desk of EAs CEO

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Dead Space was pretty loving similar in a lot of ways (tho not as good) and EA published 3 of them, sadly they hosed around with the 3rd one with dlc and poo poo, which then bombed unsurprisingly and then they killed/gutted Visceral Games lmao. nicely played EA

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Doing a media embargo on a game is really just a stupid move all around. For consumers who don't pay attention to games news (most people) it means nothing other than less exposure, which is bad, because outlets aren't talking about your game. For consumers who do pay attention it is usually perceived as a giant flashing sign that says "THIS GAME SUCKS".

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

yeah, i dont love bethesda or anything but theyre the only ones allowing games like doom or prey to even be made anymore. imagine if somebody put a proposal for prey on the desk of EAs CEO

EA actually was at one point making System Shock 3 but then Bioshock was announced and they reworked it into what would eventually be Dead Space.

Chomp8645 posted:

Doing a media embargo on a game is really just a stupid move all around. For consumers who don't pay attention to games news (most people) it means nothing other than less exposure, which is bad, because outlets aren't talking about your game. For consumers who do pay attention it is usually perceived as a giant flashing sign that says "THIS GAME SUCKS".

Bethesda does it with literally all their games. And they aren't the only publisher who does that. Of course the people who read to much into poo poo freak out. You should only be pre-ordering if you can get it at a discount or have played some sort of pre-release demo anyway.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dead Space was one of the shittiest games I ever played. I got so sick of slowly clunking slowly through the spaceship that I quit half-way through, all I remember about the game now is how much time was spent clumsily stomping through empty hallways.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Bethesda does it with literally all their games. And they aren't the only publisher who does that. Of course the people who read to much into poo poo freak out. You should only be pre-ordering if you can get it at a discount or have played some sort of pre-release demo anyway.

Thank you for responding to my "doing this makes people think your game sucks" comment by clarifying that Bethesda does it for all of their games. I had myself a sensible chuckle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

in their defense, bethesda made games do suck

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jose posted:

in their defense, bethesda made games do suck

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jose posted:

how many copies of final fantasy are they even selling lol

I read that FF15 apparently did very well and has turned a significant profit on itself even considering its decade+-long development cycle. If you don't remember, it was originally announced as FF Versus 13 around the same time as FF13 in like 2006.

It's still loving dumb DX:MD got treated the way it did

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Scanning area

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

there weren't enough scrambler grenades or whatever they were called

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Xaris posted:

remember doom4 had like no marketing, and what bethesda published and put out was intentionally slowed down like 50% gameplay videos showing cinematic punch-kills over and over and everything thought the game was going to be some slow piece of poo poo?

Actually CrowbCat did a side-by-comparizon of the E3 reveal and the final game and it's exactly the same aside from some graphical effects. That's just some bullshit turbonerds made up to try and avoid admitting that they were wrong lol

• Locked thread