Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0D3AOldjMU

After three Sam Raimi movies starring Tobey Maguire and two Marc Webb movies starring Andrew Garfield, Jon Watts (Cop Car) brings us a joint production between Columbia Pictures (Sony), Marvel Studios (Disney), and Pascal Pictures (Amy Pascal) with Tom Holland in the titular role after his supporting appearance in Captain America: Civil War. Several months after the events of that movie, Peter Parker, with the help of his mentor Tony Stark, tries to balance his life as an ordinary high school student in Queens while fighting crime as his superhero alter ego Spider-Man as a new threat, the Vulture, emerges. The film stars:

Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man

Michael Keaton as Adrian Toomes / The Vulture

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man

Marisa Tomei as May Parker

Zendaya as Michelle

Jacob Batalon as Ned

Laura Harrier as Liz

There's also a great supporting cast playing smaller characters:
Donald Glover (Atlanta)
Tony Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel)
Bokeem Woodbine (The Rock)
Abraham Attah (Beasts of No Nation)
Hannibal Buress (The Eric Andre Show)
Angourie Rice (The Nice Guys)
Martin Starr (SIlicon Valley)
Michael Chernus (Patriot)
Michael Mando (Better Call Saul)
Logan Marshall-Green (Prometheus)
Vince Foster (The Arkansas Project)

Cop Car was a treat, and handled its young co-stars well, so hopes are high that Jon Watts will deliver a compelling movie within the strictures of the MCU and the dumpster fire that is Sony Pictures.

The film will be released in the United Kingdom on July 5, in additional international markets on July 6, and in the United States on July 7.

Please use spoiler tags until July 21 to give a two-week window in which people can read spoiler-free reactions.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just got back from a showing of Spider-Man. It has heart and is very much an MCU movie (for better or worse). Michael Keaton is hands down the most ruthless Marvel villain, almost as if he were from a show like Daredevil or Breaking Bad.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ANDREW GARFIELD 4EVER

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I still think the thread should've been called They Called the Third Spider-Man "Spider-Man: Homecoming" :colbert:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

No spoilers, but general reactions:

Michael Keaton easily steals the movie. He's very good - sinister but well developed and almost seems out of place because the rest of the film is very light hearted. One of, if not the best Marvel villain so far.

Straight up though I enjoyed the action sequences a lot more in Spider-Man 2. While there's all the Spider-Man stuff you'd expect, this feels like it has less weight to it. Spider-Man 2 was still in the Raimi realm of going "full comic book" with it. The cast and their performances are great, Tom Holland is great.

It's the second best Spider-Man movie. It's funny, but it's not a comedy. It has action but it's not an action movie. This muddles things. It's an action/comedy/coming of age movie that ties into a cinematic universe. That's a lot of points to hit, it doesn't fail at any of those, but also doesn't knock any of them out of the park. But it was fun and the best Peter Parker I've seen on the big screen. Spider-Man 2 is still the best Spider-Man movie though.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 30, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
How much is RDJ in the movie and how much of Spider-man's abilities come from the suit that Stark gave him?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

He's there in spirit through the whole movie, but he's not onscreen a ton. I'd say probably 2/3rds of his appearances are in the trailers

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Casting spoiler I guess? So Michelle is actually Mary Jane? Who the heck is Liz then, Gwen Stacy?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Casting spoiler: She's a girl on Peter's academic decathlon team that he has a crush on

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
nevermind

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 1, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Retardog posted:

Michael Keaton is hands down the most ruthless Marvel villain

Is this like when people described the character of the Winter Soldier as terrifying?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

He's got this gritty, blue-collar vibe that I enjoyed. He does what he needs to do and will kill you if you get in his way. The Winter Soldier is similar in that regard, but he's like the Terminator in that mode. The Vulture is more like Nero from Star Trek 09 without the drive to wipe out entire civilizations

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Is there any Uncle Ben bullshit in this. Flashbacks to an origin story?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

Nah

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Probably old news to everyone but I just saw it. It's the first 4 minutes of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmE8cujOcBo

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQbVKwQftk

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So Tony's intern does some union busting over contract disputes? Is that the plot?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is probably the 3rd best movie after the first 2 Raimis.

Stuff it lacked, a killer Elfman soundtrack and any emotional weight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bedshaped posted:

Stuff it lacked, a killer Elfman soundtrack and any emotional weight.

It's an MCU movie so no surprise there.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Casting spoiler I guess? So Michelle is actually Mary Jane? Who the heck is Liz then, Gwen Stacy?
I guess I'll put this in spoilers. Liz Allen is actually a character from the comics.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I guess I'll put this in spoilers. Liz Allen is actually a character from the comics.

Yeah, but she only exists to have lovely things happen to her, like the crap done to her during her appearances in Daredevil comics.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ego-bot posted:

Nope on both counts. Origin story is mentioned literally once as the setup to a throwaway joke. Ben isn't even hinted at.

Movie is real good, Michael Keaton in particular is immediately one of the most memorable MCU villains for playing it 110% ham.

So, holy poo poo, in a single movie we already have half of the Sinister Six established. Vulture, Scorpion and Shocker.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 5, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nope on both counts. Origin story is mentioned literally once as the setup to a throwaway joke. Ben isn't even hinted at.

Movie is real good, Michael Keaton in particular is immediately one of the most memorable MCU villains for playing it 110% ham.

So, holy poo poo, in a single movie we already have half of the Sinister Six established. Vulture, Scorpion and Shocker.

Donald Glover's character had the alias Prowler, but I'm not sure if they'd use him for S6

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Donald Glover's character had the alias Prowler, but I'm not sure if they'd use him for S6

Considering how expensive he must be at this point compared to Martin Starr and Hannibal Buress it'd be weird if they didn't have anything planned for him in the sequel.

I loved the post-post-credit gag. A friend stubbornly insisted that we'd sit through both credit rolls and as a result it slayed me.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 5, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Nevermind

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'd say Ben is hinted at. There are a couple of mentions of May and the family having had a hard time recently. It's quite subtle.

It's interesting that this is such a low-key film - there's absolutely nothing like a world-ending threat, and Spider-man never even goes to Manhattan, which is kind of crazy. The entire film is set in Brooklyn and Queens, with a brief sojourn to Washington DC. Which is odd considering how connected Spider-man and Manhattan have been in the past - even the new SM video game coming out uses Manhattan as the map.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It was pretty great. I never particularly liked Raimi's Spiderman movies, they always came off as a little hokey and Tobey Maguire wasn't a good spiderman (or actor). This oozed charm and was nice and upbeat, considering how depressing everything has been lately it was a nice uplift tbqh.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spider-Man: Homecoming? More like Watch Spider-Man Get His rear end Beat Repeatedly.

edit: I'll save that as an image of my thoughts immediately after watching it but after my drive home I have more to say:

*This is easily one of the funniest superhero movies in recent memory, right up there with Deadpool and the Guardians movies.
*Use of long shots in this movie for comic effect was great, especially Peter absolutely biting it on the roof.
*I dig a lot of the secondary characters at the high school, especially Ned, but I personally connect way more with Lonely Bastard Peter Parker ala the Amazing Spider-Man movies. Having friends in high school, as it turns out, is not for everyone.
*That said, Liz was a big nothing of a character. Her entire character basically exists to get Peter back in the room with Adrian to set up the end of the movie, and to provide a living, breathing symbol of Peter's conflict between his desire to be a normal teen and his duty as Spider-Man. She definitely does not have the vibrant inner-life that Gwen had in the ASM flicks or MJ had in the Raimi movies, which makes sense because Ned basically took the place of the typical "love interest who is in on Peter's secret". The movie literally just puts her on a truck to Oregon at the end of the movie and says "well now that she's been used to our end goal, let's replace her with a different love interest in basically the exact same role in the next one." Like in Spider-Man: Sinister Six or whatever it turns out that Michelle's name is actually Michelle Jean Octavius or some poo poo.
*Speaking of, Michelle was a completely superfluous character who exists primarily for one line at the very end of the movie. I misread a spoiler a few weeks ago and thought that Vulture ended up being *her* dad instead of Liz's, so I kept waiting for her to do something interesting but they're clearly keeping her and her "watching" Peter for a later date.
*Hannibal Burress makes everything funnier.
*Michael Keaton is a phenomenal villain, again one of the best superhero villains in the last 10 years or so, right up there with the first couple of Raimi movies. I really, really want a Breaking Bad-esque television series about how Adrian Toomes builds his criminal alien gun smuggling empire from the ground up and his character slowly reveals itself while he keeps an increasing amount of secrets from his family. His goons were pretty good too, especially the Shocker Brothers.
*I dunno what the gently caress Marissa Tomei was doing in this movie. Like they told her to imitate Rosemary Harris' performance in the Raimi movies while still looking like Marissa Tomei or something.
*I'm about ready to be done with Tony Stark. It's very cute to watch him pass his father issues on to Peter but he hovered over the movie both literally and figuratively and I'd much rather see Peter trying to function without that support system. I get that it's a different angle to play after five movies of The World Vs. Peter Parker, but between Tony, Karen and Ned, there's always someone inside of Spider-Man's head with Peter. It's a change that I'm really not sure was needed.
*Despite the theme of "Peter fucks everything up repeatedly and gets his rear end beat as a direct result of that", this was a very, very bloodless movie.I mean, you're already missing the built in stakes of Uncle Ben biting it, but I think this is only the 2nd Spider-Man movie where the villain comes out alive at the end (and in Amazing Spider-Man we still had Captain Stacy and Uncle Ben take their respective bullets). In a movie where Peter is literally never not loving something up and getting his rear end beat, it never really seems like anything comes from his fuckups since Iron Man is ready and waiting to clean up the mess.

edit: it's very funny that in the summer of Wonder Woman coming in and showing everyone that we are totally ready and willing to have awesome female heroes and characters in our superhero movies, this one takes a huuuuuuuuuge step back in that department from it's predecessors. There are basically four female characters of any import, and they are Primary Love Interest Who Sets Up Conflict Between Hero and Villain, Backup Love Interest/Running Joke, Doting Mother Figure, and Disembodied Robot Servant Voice.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 6, 2017

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Worst Birdman film ever. Riggan Thomson did what he could with the script, but making him the villain was a dumb move. And this Spider-Boy character, with no origin sequence why am I supposed to suddenly care about him and why he does his stuff? Marvel better write this one off so Birdman can join the Avengers proper. :colbert:

:v:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I didn't really like the high tech spider suit.

Was hoping the finale to the "If you're nothing without the suit..." was going to be Peter rejecting Stark's high tech gear at the end to learn to value his own abilities and master his skills rather than relying on all the gadgets.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Enjoyed it. Low stakes, low key and low action, but suited the film perfectly for the character in this stage. They are getting pretty good at letting a film stand on its own feet while still being integrated into the MCU. Hopefully they don't go too into the direction of Peter relying heavily on Stark's gadgetry.

Also that post-post credits stinger was insane

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I feel like crossovers like this is pretty much what the MCU has been building towards - and I actually like that, having characters show up in each other's movies makes the world seem more connected and alive.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Are there any good swinging scenes? I love a good swinging scene.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Enjoyed it. Low stakes, low key and low action, but suited the film perfectly for the character in this stage. They are getting pretty good at letting a film stand on its own feet while still being integrated into the MCU.

Good to know since this was why I liked the Guardians movie: very self-contained. I do prefer the "low stakes" hero movies though, as opposed to everything being a world-murdering celestial Macguffin. Spiderman movies have always had the low-key feel even with spectacular villains.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I thought the movie was great, Holland was excellent. Easily one of the best MCU films.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Also that post-post credits stinger was insane

Just masterful.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I don't know why they put that stinger at the very end; it feels like a midcredits thing given that it considerably changes the MCU landscape moving forward. Ideally even the Netflix shows shouldn't be able to ignore it but lol, as if

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
well, loving what was it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It's a pretty huge thing that's probably better if you see it for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I looked it up before I saw the movie and I wish I hadn't. It's something that will stick with you.

• Locked thread