Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Saw this tonight. A solid drat movie, way better than what I expected.

While I appreciate most Marvel movies as passable action / adventure movies, they mostly feel forced, bland, and have very interchangeable characters. A character with super powers tells jokes and at the end has to stop a blue laser being shot into the sky, while a lot of CGI poo poo happens. The consequences of major events are explored only in a very supeficial level. Everyone is between 25 and 40 years of age and mega-capable and has access to awesome cool gear.

Spider: The Man on the other hand (major spoilers) has the thrust of the movie be alien tech left from a major attack and the dealers of said tech. The hero struggles with making a difference and has to look around for crime to stop, mostly managing to only stop bike thieves. The climax is Spiderman fighting his prom date's dad on a plane, and that's it. The teenagers act like teenagers, awkward and stupid, and make jokes like an awkward teenager would. Spiderman has never been on a plane before, and feels dizzy on a building taller than a Queens tenement. Lots of little touches that I just loved. The jokes fit, unlike something like Dr. Strange where it's just way off from would seem to fit the character.

Not a perfect movie by any chance, as I found myself drifting off a little bit around the halfway point as the plot lines seemed a bit aimless. There's a long scence where Spiderman is trapped in a warehouse and flirts with his Stark-made AI suit computer that feels super odd. I found myself wanting a little more emotional emphasis on the teenager drama, too. Like Peter bro-ing down with his friend and being sorry about how he keeps ditching him to do superhero stuff, or something like that, I dunno.

And can I just mention how loving great it is to not have to deal with the origins of a character? I don't care, you shouldn't care, and look what a movie they can make when the writers don't care either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was a good rear end Spider-Man in the MCU movie. Although just to piggyback what other people have said. Just loving call Michelle Mary Jane and be done with it, or don't and have her be a whole new character, that'd be cool too since weirdo loner doesn't seem much like MJ to me. Either way knock it off with this coy "my friends call me MJ" bullshit. And really, if that's my biggest complaint about the film it must be doing a lot of things right.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

howe_sam posted:

That was a good rear end Spider-Man in the MCU movie. Although just to piggyback what other people have said. Just loving call Michelle Mary Jane and be done with it, or don't and have her be a whole new character, that'd be cool too since weirdo loner doesn't seem much like MJ to me. Either way knock it off with this coy "my friends call me MJ" bullshit. And really, if that's my biggest complaint about the film it must be doing a lot of things right.

I know I have pretty bad hearing, but that makes a lot more sense. I thought she said "My friends call me Angie." Which just seemed like a weird thing to say. Also can someone with better ears tell me what Flash's nickname for Peter was? I'm guessing this was only rated PG-13 and he didn't spend half a movie saying Penis Parker

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
tom holland was tremendous; i got marty mcfly vibes from him which is about the highest praise i can give a high school aged character

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just got back from seeing this. It's about what you'd expect. The action is just okay, but they keep getting good casts for these movies, with the existing MCU actors easily the weakest link.

The movie probably would have been stronger if it had been distinct from the MCU and able to comment on it. Toomes is inches away from being China Miéville’s rejected Scrap Iron Man concept, but then there's a hard turn away since obviously Iron Man can't be the real villain.

Definite weakness over Cop Car from Tom Holland being 21. Laura Harrier is 27. Then they're next to Abraham Attah and Angourie Rice, who are actually 16.

Marvel should throw money at Donald Glover to make a Netflix show about his character.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Aquasnake posted:

I'm guessing this was only rated PG-13 and he didn't spend half a movie saying Penis Parker

actually yes he did

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

actually yes he did

Very high school boy authentic.

Spider man was good. go see it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aquasnake posted:

I know I have pretty bad hearing, but that makes a lot more sense. I thought she said "My friends call me Angie." Which just seemed like a weird thing to say. Also can someone with better ears tell me what Flash's nickname for Peter was? I'm guessing this was only rated PG-13 and he didn't spend half a movie saying Penis Parker

You can say penis in a PG-13 movie. It's not an incredibly offensive word, just vulgar.

e: also, anyone telling you that the second post-credits scene is super important and changes the MCU forever is being kind of a dick, though once you see it, the reason people are being so cagey will be a little more obvious. :haw:

Between that and "AVENGERS, rear end-"*smash cut to credits* from Ultron, I get the vibe Marvel really likes trolling people. This time, it was actually funny instead of "god drat it, really?"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 7, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Between that and "AVENGERS, rear end-"*smash cut to credits* from Ultron, I get the vibe Marvel really likes trolling people.

Or, What the Fu

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This was super good, and probably the best compliment that I can give to it is that I walked away wanting a sequel, like, immediately. The ending was really well done, and sets the stage for a compelling story moving forward - on both the super-hero and personal fronts. I really hope that Sony doesn't try to go solo from here and keeps collaborating with Marvel Studios, because it obviously made a world of difference. I thought there was a lot of chatter that they want to do the opposite, though, which would be a shame.

This was 100% Ultimate Spider-Man the movie and I couldn't have been happier.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

I really hope that Sony doesn't try to go solo from here and keeps collaborating with Marvel Studios, because it obviously made a world of difference. I thought there was a lot of chatter that they want to do the opposite, though, which would be a shame.

In addition to Spider-Man being in the next two avengers movies, Kevin Feige has recently said that Homecoming 2 is going to "launch phase 4" and that there's going to be a homecoming 3

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

howe_sam posted:

In addition to Spider-Man being in the next two avengers movies, Kevin Feige has recently said that Homecoming 2 is going to "launch phase 4" and that there's going to be a homecoming 3

That's good. Sony can fail at spinning off as many Venom movies as they want, but Tom Holland needs to stay on as Peter Parker for a while. No more reboots, this was a winning formula.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

I didn't really like the high tech spider suit.

Was hoping the finale to the "If you're nothing without the suit..." was going to be Peter rejecting Stark's high tech gear at the end to learn to value his own abilities and master his skills rather than relying on all the gadgets.

Was misremembering this post during the movie and was expecting a final, final fight after the final fight, because this exactly happens, but I thought the post implied the opposite. I was thinking, "They're really running out of film time if there is going to be another fight after this plane fight where he gets his high tech suit back for a rematch."

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Bedshaped posted:

I didn't really like the high tech spider suit.

Was hoping the finale to the "If you're nothing without the suit..." was going to be Peter rejecting Stark's high tech gear at the end to learn to value his own abilities and master his skills rather than relying on all the gadgets.

I also didn't really like it at first, but by the end I realized it was there because of your second paragraph.

Half of Pete's problems came from the Stark suit being built for the expectation that Tony had of him, instead of it being made for his innate skills. Like, with the web-shooters 576 modes of web are way too much micro-managing and the Insta-Kill mode and Interrogation mode having the Bale Batman voice. And it helps Peter realize that instead of joining the Avengers right away and use an even fancier suit that he's better off learning more about himself and the type of person he wants to be, instead of trying to be the person Tony wanted him to be.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Great film.

Easter egg stuff:

I'm glad they included in part the other Spider-heroes. Cindy aka Silk was on the Decathlon team and had more screen time than I thought she would. Prowler mentioning his nephew.

Other thoughts:

Tom Holland is a good Spider-Man, but Keaton made the movie.
I really liked a lot of throw away lines like, "He's a war criminal now, whatever."

Post-post-credits scene is amazing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Michael Keaton was just amazing, definitely shades of Walter "I'm doing this for my family, but I also have some murderous tendencies" White. The shot of him crouched on the edge of the building in the high-tech suit, perched like a vulture, waiting to go after the plane stuck with me. Kudos for Keaton by taking a villain like the Vulture to the next level.

And I'm a bit biased, but I was really hoping to see a little more of Shocker in action. Maybe in the next film?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Keaton was really amazing, but I think it's unfair to downplay Holland's really good take on Peter Parker - probably the best I've seen on screen so far. It's pretty apparent that the team on Homecoming really "gets" Peter as a character (moreso than Slott and the current team on the comic books, I'd argue).

Like, you never heard the words "with great power..." in this movie. But they had a number of scenes where Holland really sells Peter struggling with having to give up being a normal kid to do what he knows he has to do. They also layer in a bit of him just really enjoying being Spider-Man, and shades of "addiction" underlying some of the reluctance.

Honestly, probably the best take on super-hero "coming of age" out there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I still think the thread should've been called They Called the Third Spider-Man "Spider-Man: Homecoming" :colbert:

Sixth Spiderman.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

There was a girl in the background of several school shots with distractingly platinum blonde hair that I'm forced to think is a reference to Felicia Hardy or something.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Aquasnake posted:

There was a girl in the background of several school shots with distractingly platinum blonde hair that I'm forced to think is a reference to Felicia Hardy or something.

If you're talking about the girl that was on the high school news program, that was Betty Brandt.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they're not really going to be calling the future films "Homecoming 2/3" and keep using that dumb Homecoming subtitle, are they?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I enjoyed that they made both Liz Allen and Flash Thompson minorities. Reddit must be so mad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

they're not really going to be calling the future films "Homecoming 2/3" and keep using that dumb Homecoming subtitle, are they?

No. They're just using that term now to identify they're sequels to this Spider-Man film. They'll have other titles when released.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
MJ totally knows Peter is Spider-man, doesn't she? From before the movie even starts. Hence her stalking them for no apparent reason.

Also, considering Cindy Moon is in the movie too they have enough material to mine for flashbacks where Peter's whole origin story happens entirely offscreen or in the background, which could be funny if they're going to be as self-aware as this one was.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I totally thought the final Spider-Man suit was going to be the Iron Spider design, but that may have been a bridge too far.

And yeah, I didn't really like MJ throwaway reveal. TDK did it better (mostly by having Blake be an actual character)

edit: For those that don't know how Academic Decathlon works, each team has 9 members, three A-range students, 3 B, and 3 C-and below students (if you were wondering why Flash is on the team when he gets a bunch of stuff wrong)

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 7, 2017

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you're talking about the girl that was on the high school news program, that was Betty Brandt.

No, there's a girl with long silver hair (Think Ritz but without the pink dye) she shows up behind Peter in the slomo first walk through the school highway, and then again when going in the door to the dance. That's twice at least.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Aquasnake posted:

No, there's a girl with long silver hair (Think Ritz but without the pink dye) she shows up behind Peter in the slomo first walk through the school highway, and then again when going in the door to the dance. That's twice at least.

I actually noticed her too. I'm not well versed in Spider-Man and his gallery, so I don't know if she's referencing anyone in particular, but she definitely tickled my Easter egg senses.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DLC Inc posted:

Codependent Poster posted:

No. They're just using that term now to identify they're sequels to this Spider-Man film. They'll have other titles when released.

The next one is obviously Spider-Man: Winter Formal, and the trilogy will end with Spider-Man: Prom Night.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For me, my favorite line was pretty much anything Donald Glover said. It was delivered with a really calm voice and just made it even funnier.

"I got ice cream in here, man. Come on." That line got a ton of laughs in the theatre.

I've never been in a theatre where it was crowded and EVERYONE applauded after the movie was done. Especially after the end-credits sting.

The only thing that ruined the movie for me was the woman next to me on her phone on full brightness the entire time and I could even read what her screen said. So I did and I didn't hide that I was occasionally reading it. She finally let her boyfriend turn the brightness down towards the end of the movie.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Can someone confirm / deny that the trailer spoils the entire movie?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

935 posted:

Deny. It spoils the arc of Peter's relationship with Tony, because the advertising has pushed Iron Man to the front, but not the whole movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

935 posted:

No. If anything there's one major segment that looks good for the trailer and looks like a big action beat spoiler but doesn't work the way you'd expect in the actual film.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The trailer leaves out a couple of elements from one scene In particular that takes it from yeah this is cool to holy poo poo this is amazing and gorgeous.

Seriously, the light camo on the plane going haywire and blinking and flashing erratically throughout the fight, especially when Vulture is clawing through it, was loving crazy to look at.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seriously, the light camo on the plane going haywire and blinking and flashing erratically throughout the fight, especially when Vulture is clawing through it, was loving crazy to look at.

Yeah, the plane being invisible makes no sense, considering it's continuously broadcasting its location, but it makes for a really cool visual once the fight gets going. The stuff you see from the latest in the movie is also the stuff that's least contextualized in the trailer, so the movie never feels like you're just walking through a longer version of the trailer, with, as I said, the exception of the stuff with Tony.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The trailer leaves out a couple of elements from one scene In particular that takes it from yeah this is cool to holy poo poo this is amazing and gorgeous.

It's kind of funny when you know The Zephyr/Quinjets from Agents of SHIELD already have straight up cloaking technology. Not that anyone cares. (I care.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

935 posted:

It definitely doesn't spoil the biggest "twist" in my opinion.

Keaton being Liz's dad, that is

I really loved this. I think the writers finally nailed it with "Holy cow, being a superhero is awesome" which is exactly the mindset a brand new teenage Spiderman should be having.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I enjoyed that they made both Liz Allen and Flash Thompson minorities. Reddit must be so mad.

I just wish they'd gone for Miles Morales Spider-man for full Internet Troll points.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat this was good. I can't think of a single character that I didn't enjoy the hell out of. Michelle was wonderful, and though it was kinda contrived I was super happy for the guarantee that she'd be a major character going forward.

Considering how many characters teases and cameos there were, I was surprised that there was no mention of Gwen Stacey or the Osborns. Unless I missed it. I get that they're pretty done to death now though so it's probably best to leave them be. And any Norman Osborn not played by Willem Dafoe will forever be a waste of the character anyway.

I also enjoyed that the last words in a 12 rated Marvel movie were 'What the gently caress'.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just got back and I think it's easily one of the best Spider Man films. It's really a coming of age story. I also liked that they really emphasize how over his head Peter is and don't make him this insane bad rear end. The.scene where he breaks down when being buried alive and cries for help was startling

Casting Tom Holland was a excellent choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The.scene where he breaks down when being buried alive and cries for help was startling

Yeah, the transition from him as a scared kid calling for help that wasn't there to finding his strength – by calling himself "Spider-Man", no less – was really great.That's when he becomes a superhero, not the spider-bite.

• Locked thread