Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It's amazing how many people are writing off a loving arms dealer as a "non-violent" criminal. What do you think people are doing with the poo poo he sells?

While you can obviously infer it, the movie doesn't sell it very well when the crime we see being committed using the weapons is to rip off a few ATMs, which only ends up blowing up a store because Spider-Man intervenes. The crime, like the heists, was bloodless. If they had shown the weapons being used to kill people, then it would be a different story. The sale to Glover's character was interesting because he clearly wasn't into it and felt like they had the wrong sort of customer on their hands. The other sale that goes down again only ends up harming property and not people, and again only because Spider-Man intervened to stop it. It was another missed opportunity to show the weapons being used on innocent people, which would've made Toomes' character a lot less hard to pin down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Toomes Is portrayed as a very practical person. He is to a criminal but he's not some mustache twirling ultimate evil and yeah he probably initially did only start selling the material because he felt he needed to help that worked for him and his family. It's the entire Breaking Bad scenario. He didn't start off his venture as a evil person. He also got pissed when they tried to sell things under the bridge.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The ferry dude is a psycho though, we even had Glover's character tell us that. No way was that sale going to end up well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We actually though don't know what that device actually did. Toomes even says as such and it was Peters fault that happened. That could have just been a device similar to the cubes he uses to walk through things

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wasn't Toomes' entire objection to the gun/van sale that they were firing weapons in public and thus likely to draw the attention of the authorities? I don't think he ever asked any questions about what his weapons are used for.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Best: Michael Keaton. I absolutely loved his character and he was the most believable bad guy by far of the super hero movies.

Worst: Big CGI scenes. Maybe it's just me, but that ferry ship looked like it defied the laws of physics. Plus Iron Man saving the day was kinda lame. The final fight scenes were too dark so it was hard to tell what was going on (although that could just be my particular movie theater).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Loved this movie, I'd put it on par with Spider-Man 2 easily.

Extremely loving excited about the motherfucking SCORPION finally being teased. Was really hoping Mac Gargan wasn't just cheap fanservice because holy poo poo, Michael Mando is a genius casting. Yes please, put Vaas into the suit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's hard not to compare all of these movies together, but if you would have told me I enjoyed Homecoming more than GOTG2 at the beginning of the year, I probably would have said you were crazy. I think the majority of this movie just worked, and worked to great effect. Peter's arc felt like one of the most believable/fleshed out of all the MCU movies. Also Tom Holland is a great Spider-Man. He has all the quirks and sells the role. I enjoyed the classist themes and struggle of both the hero and protagonist. I hope it spurs an even bigger gulf between Spider-Man and Tony than the kid gloves way it was handled.

I would have loved more to the hero montage at the beginning as both Peter and Spider-Man. One of the strongest things to me is when Peter is interacting with the community, fleshing out the world around him. It makes him more realized. Despite the life changing spider powers, Peter is a regular person. He isn't defined by Stark's wealth and larger than life persona, Thor's asgardian weight, or Captain America's symbolism. He can just be - and that's fun. I think the movie succeeded in this regard.

Honestly the worst parts about the movie? Maybe the action sequences. The finale in particular was such a blur I couldn't really tell what was happening from the camera work and how the finale was staged. Also: please don't show your whole movie in previews.

Can we also talk about how the climax of a Marvel movie in 2017 is a rogue plane crashing into New York City?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm not sure if my favorite bystander was:

"Hey Spider-Man, do a flip! ....not bad!"

or

"YAY SPIDER-MAN YOU DID IT!"
30 seconds pass
"YAY IRON MAN YOU DID IT!"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just saw this:
Obviously I loved it. Everyone I know that's seen it has been raving.
I'm fairly upset that Donald Glover isn't Morales in-universe even if he's not going to be Spider-Man at some point.

Keaton killed it, naturally. When he opened the door to the house before the dance I actually gasped. At first I thought he was doing the cliche of threatening Peter's girlfriend. They did a great job of having her never mention her parents beforehand. When she mentions that they are moving to Oregon (where I live) the rear end in a top hat behind me started bitching about people moving here.

I'm grateful for a big movie like this to have action I can follow. Stuff like Transformers is just visual noise the makes me space out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the thing that surprised me the most was Oh poo poo it's her dad!! Totally took me by surprise

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

"YAY SPIDER-MAN YOU DID IT!"
30 seconds pass
"YAY IRON MAN YOU DID IT!"

This was the funniest part for me, that and when Happy "decides" that Peter being in washington is not a big deal

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DLC Inc posted:

Loved this movie, I'd put it on par with Spider-Man 2 easily.

Extremely loving excited about the motherfucking SCORPION finally being teased. Was really hoping Mac Gargan wasn't just cheap fanservice because holy poo poo, Michael Mando is a genius casting. Yes please, put Vaas into the suit.

And if SCORPION!!! is the next bad...that means !!JJJ!! is coming too!

Now I read that they're trying to avoid villains that have been done before (except Venom), so I hope to loving god we get Mysterio.

I hope we get Bruce Goddamned Campbell as Mysterio.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

nelson posted:

Plus Iron Man saving the day was kinda lame.

This is precisely why the second half carried my love of this movie. The first half was more Iron Man/Avengers/Ant-Man tech silliness to me and not as much pure "I'm a kid who can climb walls and throw webs" Spider-Man. Him being stripped of his high-tech suit was the better version of Spider-Man I grew up on. I'm also a grumpy old man, though, so pass the salt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nelson posted:

Plus Iron Man saving the day was kinda lame.

I think that's kind of the point. The frustration you feel is the same frustration Peter feels. He wanted to do it on his own.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Am I the only one that hates MJ in this? Not only is she written as a totally different personality, but I don't like the new personality either. The MJ in the books is a carefree party chick who wants to be an actress. She is the ying to Peter's mild-mannered nerdy yang. This MJ is an academic decathlete who hates society? What the gently caress ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Now I read that they're trying to avoid villains that have been done before (except Venom), so I hope to loving god we get Mysterio.

I really hope so because it seems like they set up the whole "He's a menace!" thing pretty well with how much accidental property damage Spiderman does. It's a lot easier to buy that this portrayal of spiderman could be shown as a loose cannon vigilante who's a danger after being involved in the lasering of a deli, assaulting a guy trying to get into his own car and wrecking like a dozen yards in one chase? than most portrayals where he's just a straight up hero all the time.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I'm fairly upset that Donald Glover isn't Morales in-universe even if he's not going to be Spider-Man at some point.

I think I heard talk of an animated movie or TV show with Donald Glover voicing Morales. He is kind of too old to do him in live action now.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

He didn't mean to do it

He didn't seem to care much afterwards for it to have been an accident. Like he's surprised because he was going to crush him but instead ended up vaporizing him.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 9, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Moon Atari posted:

I think I heard talk of an animated movie or TV show with Donald Glover voicing Morales. He is kind of too old to do him in live action now.

Glover did voice Miles in the Ultimate Spidey cartoon but sounded way too old for a 13 year old and was recast for subsequent appearances

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Am I the only one that hates MJ in this? Not only is she written as a totally different personality, but I don't like the new personality either. The MJ in the books is a carefree party chick who wants to be an actress. She is the ying to Peter's mild-mannered nerdy yang. This MJ is an academic decathlete who hates society? What the gently caress ever.

Nope, your childhood is sacred and fragile and cannot be changed ever or it will destroy you. If MJ is ever not a buxom redhead wish fulfilment for socially inept manchildren then Spiderman is ruined forever.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

PJOmega posted:

If MJ is ever not a buxom redhead wish fulfilment for socially inept manchildren then Spiderman is ruined forever.

I think they should have either committed and just have her be Mary, or go the other way and have her be a completely new character, leave out the MJ. If they didn't try to be all coy and go for some kind of twist I imagine people wouldn't have cared that much.

None minds that they made aunt May young and hot because she's still aunt May.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah not calling her Mary was lame and just opens the door for stupid bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was an easy joke but I loved all the dudes hitting on May. The lharb joke was particularly good.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I like the new MJ. She is more than just a pretty face in this incarnation.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

They probably didn't call her MJ so as not to distract from Liz as the romantic interest. If people knew MJ was in this they would assume Peter-Liz was doomed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fangz posted:

They probably didn't call her MJ so as not to distract from Liz as the romantic interest. If people knew MJ was in this they would assume Peter-Liz was doomed.

Yeah, that's what I assumed. The way they did it means we know she'll have an important role in the future, but that knowledge didn't distract us or detract from her character during the film.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

I thought the same initially but I think they get around this by having her name be "Michelle Jones" so technically it isn't even the same character, just a character that "fulfills" that niche. If they were really the same character point blank why bother changing the name radically?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'm fine with never getting Green Goblin ever again but ever since I saw someone's dream casting of Mads Mikkelson as Otto Octavius, I NEED that. Mysterio easily fits this new take on Spider-Man like a glove (another low stakes, visually interesting character) so I'm hoping he's the next one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen a Scorpion design that I did not find was completely garbage aescetically

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wouldn't assume anything about JJJ showing up. Both he and/or Peter's photography have been less and less of a focus over the years, both in the comics and adaptations. Sometimes they don't show up at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In a world of reboots what does it even mean to be 'the same character'. The three on-screen Peter Parkers we've seen are no more 'the same character' than Mary Jane and Michelle. What qualifies as being the same? Having the same name, playing the same role in the story or being the literal exact same person played by a different actor?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Steve2911 posted:

In a world of reboots what does it even mean to be 'the same character'. The three on-screen Peter Parkers we've seen are no more 'the same character' than Mary Jane and Michelle. What qualifies as being the same? Having the same name, playing the same role in the story or being the literal exact same person played by a different actor?

And not that one movie's take on a character excuses another movie's, but people were arguing way back about the Raimi movies that MJ wasn't the MJ they knew. There was the acting element but fans considered her a mash-up of Gwen and MJ. There wasn't any of that party girl, go-go dancer, boogie-my-blues-away personality. Dunst's MJ was not a You Just Hit the Jackpot kind of woman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really wished they would mention Cindy Moon by name in the film and not just in the credits :sigh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Scorpion design that I did not find was completely garbage aescetically

They made the Vulture look totally badass. I don't think I've seen that before - he usually ranges from 'lame' to 'OK'. That suggests they might be able to do good things with Scorpy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I did like how they always incorporated the yellow quilted design with Shocker

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The new, new suit Tony tried to give him was pretty drat cool. I'm assuming it was the Iron Spider suit. That's something you can't break out right away and I'm glad Peter rejected it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Inzombiac posted:

The new, new suit Tony tried to give him was pretty drat cool. I'm assuming it was the Iron Spider suit. That's something you can't break out right away and I'm glad Peter rejected it.

I thought it looked horrible and I'm glad he rejected it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

The Lord Bude posted:

I thought it looked horrible and I'm glad he rejected it

Same, I breathed such a sigh of relief

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Inzombiac posted:

Just saw this:
Obviously I loved it. Everyone I know that's seen it has been raving.

Keaton killed it, naturally. When he opened the door to the house before the dance I actually gasped. At first I thought he was doing the cliche of threatening Peter's girlfriend. They did a great job of having her never mention her parents beforehand. When she mentions that they are moving to Oregon (where I live) the rear end in a top hat behind me started bitching about people moving here.

I'm grateful for a big movie like this to have action I can follow. Stuff like Transformers is just visual noise the makes me space out.

Well, he's playing Miles' Uncle. I have a feeling that the MCU prowler will be a bit more of a composite of the 616 & Ultimate ones, but will probably have a role to play in Miles's story in the future.

Also I think the moviing to Oregon might be a reference to when Peter & MJ planned to move to Oregon in the comics and let his clone be the new Spider-Man. Comics, everybody!

sigmachiev posted:

Well Ultimate Mary Jane was pretty close to MJ in this film, being a smart kid and a bit of an outcast (although not Peter-level). And 'a carefree party chick who wants to be an actress' is a pretty surface level reading of 616 MJ, buddy. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also I think the moving to Oregon might be a reference to when Peter & MJ planned to move to Oregon in the comics and let his clone be the new Spider-Man. Comics, everybody!

Oh right. Peter's crappy suit even reminded me of the clone suit with the teal cutoff sweatshirt.

• Locked thread