Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

935 posted:

Can someone confirm / deny that the trailer spoils the entire movie?

No. If anything there's one major segment that looks good for the trailer and looks like a big action beat spoiler but doesn't work the way you'd expect in the actual film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The original sequence is pretty long but these two panels are probably the best example of the movie hewing pretty close to the source material:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

One of the best aspects of the film that I loved was The Vulture figuring out pretty quickly that Spider Man was Peter Parker which I thought was great. He just figured it out a few moments after talking to him and putting things together

It's part of what makes the DC trip interesting. Just going by the trailers you wonder why they would go there because it's not like NYC is lacking in tall buildings but, among other reasons, the link between Peter and Spider-Man both there with his daughter and yet not seen together is a huge clue for Toomes. The circumstantial evidence might not have been so damning had it been local.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doflamingo posted:

So no one's gonna spoil the after credits scene? Come on, you know you want to.

If you're not patient enough to see it yourself it honestly and completely loses its effect. Telling you would be spoiling it in the truest sense of the word.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At least in his high school days, Peter Parker's greatest protection from his identity being found out is simply being his pipsqueak teenager self. Puny Parker being a famous and powerful superhero? Don't make me laugh.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zentrenched posted:

Thor has a magic belt?

It hasn't shown up yet in the movies but yes. Increases his strength.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter isn't going to stand by and watch Toomes get away with it. He tried that recently with a petty thief and it didn't work out well for him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agree wholeheartedly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wouldn't assume anything about JJJ showing up. Both he and/or Peter's photography have been less and less of a focus over the years, both in the comics and adaptations. Sometimes they don't show up at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Steve2911 posted:

In a world of reboots what does it even mean to be 'the same character'. The three on-screen Peter Parkers we've seen are no more 'the same character' than Mary Jane and Michelle. What qualifies as being the same? Having the same name, playing the same role in the story or being the literal exact same person played by a different actor?

And not that one movie's take on a character excuses another movie's, but people were arguing way back about the Raimi movies that MJ wasn't the MJ they knew. There was the acting element but fans considered her a mash-up of Gwen and MJ. There wasn't any of that party girl, go-go dancer, boogie-my-blues-away personality. Dunst's MJ was not a You Just Hit the Jackpot kind of woman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Same, I breathed such a sigh of relief

There were audible gasps and a buzz of excitement in my audience. They were impressed. Like you though, I was glad he rejected both the suit and Tony's offer. I was also kind of disappointed that he still ended up with the Civil War suit at the very end but I understand why.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Colonel Whitey posted:

I just wish he'd take those black stripes off of it and put the web shooters inside the dang sleeves

Ah, I meant disappointed that he had that suit for what it meant about his independence and relationship to Tony, not the actual design.

But about the actual design, they at least were smart enough to try and make the external webshooters work with the suit. Problem with external ones is that the original red 'n' blue suit was not designed with them in mind so when you strap gadgets on top of his wrists it looks incongruous and like it was done as an afterthought. Spider-Man may as well wear a Rambo style bandolier for how well it meshes with the costume design. But with the Tom Holland suit they fit the shape and styling of the webshooters to match the web pattern on the fabric underneath:

More so on the top than the underside of his wrist, but still.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darth Walrus posted:

The main thing is that while it's the suit Tony gave him, it's no longer the suit Tony wants him to wear - it was a gift that he made his own, by breaking the safeguards and befriending Karen. He's working with others, but in a way that lets him keep his own identity.

I was disappointed in the moment but I did ultimately agree with the decision given the events of the film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Coffee And Pie posted:

It was nice to see the gravity gun from half life 2 getting some work

That, and we also know they look to the old comics for influence.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Pragmatism calls for killing the guy rather than hoping that the threat works. The supervillain who tries to kill a do-gooder teenager is not going to hesitate to kill the man threatening to expose him.

And his line is something like, "You're right, I don't want you out there" in response to the gang member threatening how dangerous he would be to Toomes on the streets. That doesn't fit with him just threatening, considering a threat would still leave the guy out there.

The gun he originally wanted might also have been just as lethal. Videogames have taught me that sci-fi weapons often have alt-fire modes so the anti-grav gun could have fired some kind of pulse that would have obliterated the guy but not turned him into Looney Tunes ashes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Geez. Toomes didn't steal youth until a story some twenty-five years after he was introduced.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Vulture stealing lifeforce thing is freaking me out, because this simply was not a thing that the character ever did during my readership. It wasn't even hinted at. And now it's just "yeah dude he's done that for years, that's his shtick." Time marches on.

Vulture is basically who you remember. The age-stealing thing didn't last long, and if it hadn't been included in the 90s Fox animated series then it probably wouldn't ever get mentioned.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Junior Jr. posted:

No he was cool with being at that party because he's friends with Peter and bragged that Peter knew Spider-Man, that's how he even got there in the first place.

Also I just noticed Flash didn't even seem like a real threat to Peter, all he did was call him 'Penis Parker' and that's it. He didn't even try to bully him. How pussy is this school?

Peter went to a magnet school so the student body is made up of far fewer meatheads. Flash wasn't supposed to be the stereotypical physical bully. Just a big jerk.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inescapable Duck posted:

For some reason I'm pretty sure Vulture was a former Air Force pilot, though I don't think there's anything to support that. It would make sense if he built his suit based on the Falcon wing pack, and may have piloted one at some point?

His costume has parts that read as "pilot" but it's never stated. The style of helmet and the green, nighttime displays. The bomber jacket as well, although those have always been popular with non-pilots, especially older white dads!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

Also wanted to say how awesome it was to watch this movie in Queens and see streets and trains you use everyday reflected in celluloid. Like that street and raised subway (Astoria Blvd) is a couple of blocks away from my house. There's plenty of filming in NYC, but usually it's only establishing shots and the like for a soundstage in LA, and this is best movie I've seen in a while that really reflects what life is like living here. It felt like the neighborhood, + a suited up hero flipping around over it.

Though, to be honest, a lot was filmed in Atlanta and/or Georgia.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Argue posted:

I'm about 90% convinced that she's doing that not necessarily because she has a crush on him (though that may factor into it), but because she totally knows his secret, and has probably known since before the movie begun.

She is at a science exhibit and on the way to the washroom turns a corner and sees Peter doubled over, clutching his hand. "Aagh, that spider bite hurt and because it was radioactive I'm mutating! It feels like I'm turning into some kind of... spider man!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Argue posted:

Did I miss a huge huge announcement recently

Forget about Batman v Superman it's all about this:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tin can made man posted:

The setting being a prestigious technical magnet/charter school is also lifted straight from Ultimate Spider-Man. For some fans of Miles Morales, it's a little galling that Marvel will outright take characters and elements from his story but then continue to insist on Peter Parker as the flagship lead.

To be fair, this isn't the first time they've adapted Spider-Man and had Peter in a magnet school. The Spectacular animated series did it a few years before Miles was created.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Andrew Garfield Spider-Man used scanners and I believe he had some kind of rig set up that he programmed to prioritize and alert him of stuff or at least decide what was being picked up.

But it all comes down to the writing and what they want for the early part of the movie. Clearly they wanted Spider-Man to only find Boy Scout stuff to do and they still would have done that even with Peter mainlining street corner CCTV footage right into his brain. Showing up to the scene too late, getting distracted/sidetracked with other things close by, really lame police calls, false alarms, etc.

My dad used to have a scanner and honestly it was not that exciting anyway. It's not like Lethal Weapons and Die Hards are happening all over town all the time.

Edit: or wait, was it also/only Tobey Maguire Spider-Man? Pretty sure he had one in the second or third movie.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 15, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Imho, Peter should neither be worrying about banks or contributing to an already-violent domestic situation.

Spider-Man is not going to let a thief go. He doesn't have to camp out at banks or anything but Uncle Ben's death is going to keep him from letting robbers go free.

Would love to see him get more into organized crime. That's part of what's too bad about not having any of the Bugle supporting cast - not having an in or any help into the more serious stuff. We haven't seen him befriend any police in the movies yet either to help with leads and big time crime.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Piell posted:

It's because Secret Identity Drama has been played out and is just boring and annoying as gently caress these days.

A lot of the big Marvel characters just plain don't need one, especially in movies that are not like the Day In the Life Of stories of the comic. Stark doesn't need one because he and his supporting cast (all of whom are employees) are targets anyway. Cap doesn't have a regular life. Thor is Thor and even the comics were not always dedicated to him having a secret identity.

Spider-Man needs one because he's still a regular person living a regular life, who needs to protect his loved ones, and for whom flaking out on people and having to make tough choices between his two identities have always been big parts of his character. Without even getting into the whole Bugle situation. But they have some people know his identity so that he can talk about it instead of having monologues or voiceovers and because the old idea of keeping it secret from everyone is a dick move. Gwen died without ever knowing who he was and they loved each other and were close to getting married. That's messed up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zendaya was already famous before the movie (I mean, she goes by only one name) and executives have always understood star power and popularity. Plus she's a Disney star and this was mostly a Disney movie. So at least her casting was an easy sell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The movie assumes he is a hero already and doesn't mention his motivation because that's covered in his origin story. As shown in the previous episode film, he was already being a hero before Stark first found him. What happens in this film is him figuring out what kind of hero he can or should be and not letting the big flashy missions, other heroes, or high-tech suits get to his head and take away from the heroics he can do all by himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

esperterra posted:

Wasn't he already trying to do good before Ben kicked it, at any rate? I'm sure it depends on which timeline or w/e Peter we're discussing, but him slipping up while fighting crime is typically what leads to Ben's death, yeah?

The way the story is usually told he tries to use his powers for himself initially, but after he lets a thief get away that thief goes on to kill his uncle soon after and then he starts being a hero. In the comics they rewrote history a bit to say that he remembered his uncle telling him "with great power comes great responsbility" and the guilt of not living up to that (interpreted as "if I can act to save somebody/stop crime, I should") resulting in his own uncle's death is the bitter lesson that drives him to keep being Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The difference in the murders in Begins is all the guilt they add to Bruce. The how of the actual gunshots is less important. Likewise in the Raimi movie, they changed the Peter element. Instead of being an aloof celebrity, he let the thief go out of a sense of poetic justice or revenge, and later when he catches up to the thief, Spider-Man's actions lead to the thief's death.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is the first I'm hearing that it's a problem. All the Thai restaurants I've been to, they give me chopsticks. At least for the noodle dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UmOk posted:

loving Chopstickgate

Civil War had a Star Wars reference but Homecoming has Thai fighting.

• Locked thread