Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Getting Wasted While Driving: Let's Play Carmageddon!

wait .. what?

Looks ... pleasant

Make no mistake, Carmageddon is not the game for everybody. Released in 1997, this game is the love child of Mad Max, Death Race 2000 and Mortal Kombat. If that doesn't tell you everything you ever needed to know about the game, well, I'm not sure about you any more.

No, please tell me more!

Carmageddon is a racing game. But instead of completing laps on an closed circuit, you can win by actually completing the race (BORING!), by destroying/wasting all the other competitors (FUN!), or by killing every last pedestrian on the map (TEDIOUS!). And all this is set in various open world maps where going off the course is not only encouraged, but vital to win in some cases!

So, how will this be done?

Well, I and my co-drivers AJ_Impy and Speedball will be commentating over the videos. I will endeavour to show off every track (easy) and as many other cars as I can. I do not guarantee success as I think I've only ever gotten the vehicle on the Rank 9 track ... once. Additional Backseat Drivers are always welcome - just bring your helmets. You'll need them. If you want to, you can PM me, or leave me a note here. I use Skype for my calls, so that is kinda necessary.

To that end, the first four videos will show off the first couple races, alternating between our two initial cars. MAX DAMAGE is in the Red, and is the poster boy for the series as a whole, while DIE ANNA is in the yellow. So please,
VOTE for which racer you would like me to use through the whole of the game, as I don't want to have to run two playthroughs side by side until I open up new cars.

THE RACES

berryjon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Die Anna is the best choice, obviously!

I wasn't allowed to play this when it came out. :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Always was curious about this game but I never got around to playing it. Will be watching this!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Did you try running the game using a Glide wrapper and playing in hardware mode? The low-res VGA mode is looking a bit chunky to say the least, and this game can look a hell of a lot better than that despite being twenty years old. There's also the Windows patch you can use to play the game at high resolutions in software mode, but I think that one only works with the GOG.com release.

edit: that being said, Carmageddon (real Carmageddon, not the N64 and PSX ones) owns, although I always preferred Carmageddon II myself.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Did you try running the game using a Glide wrapper and playing in hardware mode? The low-res VGA mode is looking a bit chunky to say the least, and this game can look a hell of a lot better than that despite being twenty years old. There's also the Windows patch you can use to play the game at high resolutions in software mode, but I think that one only works with the GOG.com release.

I'm playing this game in DosBox on a WinXP Emulator. I'm not about to try and add a third layer. And the choppiness goes away later. I also tried HiRes mode, but it wasn't working out all that well. I'm playing this authentic style, pixelated bodies everywhere!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This was, and is, one of my favorite driving games along with Test Drive 3. The car physics, damage model, and especially the replay camera were amazing for their time.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Hopefully follow it up with Carmageddeon 2, which was much more polished release and had replay cameras for those sweet pedestrian kills.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Never forget princess DIE ANNA.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
There was also a quasi-expansion, the Splat Pack, which tweaked some of the vehicles and courses, prior to Carmageddon II.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I never played Carmageddon, but boy oh boy do I remember the outrage it caused. Mortal Kombat and Doom created more moral panic in the '90s from concerned parents, the Christian right, crusaders against violent games like Joe Lieberman, etc. but this game wasn't far off. I also remember reading about the many cheat codes in it- I don't remember what they do but the inputs include "WEHATEMARIO," "IHAVESOMESPAM," and "SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM."

I don't care that it won't matter what car we use in the long run, this game is about brute force and not speed. For that reason, I'm throwing my support behind MAX DAMAGE.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah, my friends and I wasted many hours just playing the demo of this the game, it was that addictive. Even the demo of the second game provided as much fun, especially after learning how to modify it to remove the time limit. Even after getting the full game it never got tired, plowing people down and screwing around on the maps was just so much fun. Nowadays every open world GTA clone allows you to mow people down and drive like a maniac but there wasn't anything else quite like this back when it was released.

The follow up to that, TDR 2000, lost a lot of the magic but the recently released Kickstarter sequel is fairly decent.

Going to have to vote for MAX. There's no difference between the two but his mug behind the wheel is kinda iconic of the series.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You and your co-commentator are pretty soft-spoken. Might want to turn the game audio down a bit, or look into the magic that is auto-ducking.

That said, you two getting interrupted by "GOD DAMMIT" and "poo poo" constantly was kinda funny.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean, with a punny name like that, how can I not vote for Die Anna. Seriously. Max Damage tries way too hard.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

So, with AJ_Impy's support for Max in a video, that leaves the current votes as:
Die Anna: 3
Max Damage: 2

I suppose people might be waiting for the second video to see Die in action, so I'm in no rush to close the voting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Well this game looks like stupid fun, count me in! Also, who can't love a name like Die Anna? Let's watch the awesome chick kill everyone with impunity :black101:!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Oh Carmageddon I loved this game when I first played it.
It's fascinating how it all comes together as a game and just works.
It's a racing game where the race is totally meaningless and just one of several ways to finish the game.
Your car can get damaged and no matter how horrifically smashed up it gets you can just repair it no problem.
You can drive so fast you can break the space time continuum and that's of no consequence either.
There's a surprising load of secrets to find and it's like the game encourages you to fling yourself into the void and end up out of bounds without any real consequences.
I reckon its barely a game but it somehow works and is fantastic, there's really nothing else like it I think.
Also crazy violent.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I'll throw my vote in for Max.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I did a search for the cheat codes for Carmageddon. As people might know, cheat codes used to be printed in video game magazines before the internet became the place to put them, and way before they were removed from video games entirely. Interplay kept this in mind and made the command to activate cheats "IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT." Well played.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Interplay kept this in mind and made the command to activate cheats "IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT." Well played.
Stainless Software was responsible for that one and the rest of the dumb humor in Carmageddon. :eng101: Interplay only published the game in the US, under license from SCi.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh man, I spent SO many hours playing this. One of the "tricks" to making the game a bit too easy, which I exploited way too much, was to find a way to kill the police car early on, with enough leftover money to buy it. I seem to remember it as being all-round the best option, practically indestructible.

But maybe I'm remembering wrong, I haven't played this in over ten years.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh man, I spent SO many hours playing this. One of the "tricks" to making the game a bit too easy, which I exploited way too much, was to find a way to kill the police car early on, with enough leftover money to buy it. I seem to remember it as being all-round the best option, practically indestructible.

But maybe I'm remembering wrong, I haven't played this in over ten years.
I think you're remembering wrong, because you can't buy vehicles in Carmageddon 1. The cop cars can't be stolen either (except one very special cop car in one of the last levels), and you have to complete the game to be able to use them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember this and a little known game called POD being my sci-fi racing go tos. I haven't looked up POD lately but it was apparently almost impossible to emulate for nerd reasons I don't remember.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Doc Morbid posted:

I think you're remembering wrong, because you can't buy vehicles in Carmageddon 1. The cop cars can't be stolen either (except one very special cop car in one of the last levels), and you have to complete the game to be able to use them.

poo poo, are you sure? Because I'm 99% sure I got the cop car relatively early on. Also, looking it up, I guess you're right that you don't buy them for credits. gently caress my lovely memory, I guess.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

PurpleXVI posted:

poo poo, are you sure?
100% sure. I know entirely too much about this ridiculous game series. :v:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I think I dismissed this game at the time as another Redneck Rampage-type game trying to cash in on the publicity from mid90's violent video game moral panics. But that's not the case at all, there's actually a lot of game here. I think it's cool that they went full 3D for the cars instead of sprites, and the car geometries and textures are really well done for the time. The physics engine is pretty solid too.

Do you think the canals are mined to make the races more exciting/dangerous or are they mined out of some perverse civic planning initiative, like, "stop terrorists by mining our precious waterways!"?

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think I dismissed this game at the time as another Redneck Rampage-type game trying to cash in on the publicity from mid90's violent video game moral panics. But that's not the case at all, there's actually a lot of game here. I think it's cool that they went full 3D for the cars instead of sprites, and the car geometries and textures are really well done for the time. The physics engine is pretty solid too.

Do you think the canals are mined to make the races more exciting/dangerous or are they mined out of some perverse civic planning initiative, like, "stop terrorists by mining our precious waterways!"?

How about just, "Mined because explosions are loving rad and good"?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Can't have a water hazard on the course without some actual hazard if the cars are amphibious.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Holy crap this game was amazing. If I recall, you could replace/add pictures to some folder and it would use those pictures for the pedestrians faces. Also, the recording function was awesome for watching hilarious stuff happen when you drag a pedestrians body, go flying off a ramp and land in a collection of 30-40 peds and then blow up by smashing into a wall.

So many wasted hours in my youth.

Was this hard to get running on a modern machine? I haven't tried, mostly because I forgot about the game and 2 sucked, but now I kind of want to give it a shot.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 3, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Today's Race takes us to a scenic island.
The trees are nice, the ambiance wonderful, and the resident tourists welcome us with open arms!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 4, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Sorry, could you please turn up your audio for future videos? I'm straining to hear the commentary even at over twice my normal volume, even more so when literally anything else is making noise as you talk.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Let me remix the audio.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcFLLx8fC1I

Does this work?

berryjon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 4, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

berryjon posted:

Let me remix the audio.

EDIT:

Does this work?

A fair bit better. I can actually hear you two over the shrieks of tearing metal and the squeal of tires now. Thanks.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

berryjon posted:

Let me remix the audio.

EDIT:

Does this work?

The levels are alright, but there's a ~3 second delay in the game audio.

E: But not the commentary, I think.

VKing fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 4, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

VKing posted:

The levels are alright, but there's a ~3 second delay in the game audio.

E: But not the commentary, I think.

No, the commentary is in sync. It's just that for some reason, when I spliced the two videos together, the second video had its audio pushed back when dropped into VirtualDub.

I fixed that, I swear to god, and I thought I got rid of the old, bad version.

Alright, let's try this again. BRB.

VERSION THE THIRD!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLi6EVnfo8

berryjon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 4, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I screwed up enough with the last video's audio, that today, you all get the next video early! Welcome to the Obligatory Ice Level! Or at least our first race in one.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This was one of the very first PC games I got when I got my PC back in the day. Somehow, I managed to get hold of the uncut blood 'n guts version, even though I live in the UK, so, thanks, Satan.

I'm gonna give my vote to The Anna.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pinball mode in a tunnel is always a good time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God, this is just making me want to replay Carmageddon 1 and 2. I never beat 2, mind you, because of some of the "gimmick" levels, there were a couple I just could NOT get past.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah the end chapter mission levels were pretty bullshit in the second game, there were a few in particular that were rage inducing (like trying to trickshot yourself into an aircraft carrier's control tower) that relied on luck more so than anything else. I recall beating the game once and then just using that save to replay anything I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm going with your boy Max Damage.

So Auto Scum is definitely traced over a band that one of the designers really liked, right?

• Locked thread