Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Fun fact: Fergus McNeill, the co-producer on this, was also behind a whole load of adventure games on the ZX Spectrum, and the rather unique The Town With No Name.

E: Also, I just realised that the game featuring a murderous racecar driver called Die Anna was released in June 1997, two months before an unfortunately synchronistic incident

Whybird fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Die Anna is the best choice, obviously!

I wasn't allowed to play this when it came out. :allears:

I remember we installed a pirated version of this on one of the school computers back in 98. Our teacher walked in on us once and almost had a heart attack. The next day he came into the classroom with a smirk on his face proudly proclaiming he had deleted that horrible game. Turns out he had only deleted the short cut.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Race #4 - Death Valley

Yes, I know about the secret easter egg to be found in this level. Now is not the race to find it in.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

GyverMac posted:

I remember we installed a pirated version of this on one of the school computers back in 98. Our teacher walked in on us once and almost had a heart attack. The next day he came into the classroom with a smirk on his face proudly proclaiming he had deleted that horrible game. Turns out he had only deleted the short cut.

Just more evidence that educators are useless and have strange and perverse priorities. What could that teacher have possibly had planned for you in 1998 that would have been a better use of your time than playing Carmageddon? I mean, I would say playing Fallout, but that's a matter of opinion, and it's not like you can get through a proper play through of Fallout in a single school day.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You completed a race? I'm disappointed and sickened.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #5 - Pit Stop

I complete this race in the most boring manner possible - because I'm not about to go hunting down all the other cars on this map.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The mine levels are awful, and I try to skip most of them every time I play this game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

The mine levels are awful, and I try to skip most of them every time I play this game.

Alas, I don't get that option for this LP. I have to show the good with the bad.

On one hand, I understand the idea behind it. As a race track, it can be well done thanks to the tight corridors, but for the real meat of the game, it's easy to get off the track and never get back on.

If it were a little easier to know where you are going (because the map can't help), it might have made for an interesting change of pace.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never really played the first Carmageddon but in the second game my favorite is probably the bulldozer. It hits HARD while being compact enough to fit anywhere and it's surprisingly fast. Of course there are lot of other fun cars too.

Doc Morbid posted:

Yes it looks pretty awful.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So how many maps are there in a base game campaign?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
At some point berryjon you have to get a very fast vehicle in the tropical beach level and find the bridge the has support struts. You should be able to drive into the struts that taper into the ground. Doing so at very high speeds yields interesting results for causality.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

double nine posted:

So how many maps are there in a base game campaign?

2 City Maps. 1 Mine. 1 Ice. 2 Island. 2 Industrial. 1 Desert.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The devs for this game are a little crazy to say the least.
They also researched for this game by running down friends and co-workers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhaxmlLzXwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_VScYDkQq4

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The mine maps are hosed, just vertical maze so good luck ever getting back if you fall.

Did anyone ever win a race by killing all the pedestrians?

Ed 101 is also a reference to The Terminator being model 101, I guess.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ED 101 is from Robocop, it's the security bot from the competing Omni Consumer Products development team, the one that throws a cog and guns down an executive near the start of the movie, and is later used to stop Robocop later on(though he does get his revenge on it).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think you mean ED-209, sir :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I know! I know!

Before this video was posted, I recorded another one where I correct myself.

The -101 part is a reference to the Terminator. T-800, Model 101.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Poil posted:

I never really played the first Carmageddon but in the second game my favorite is probably the bulldozer. It hits HARD while being compact enough to fit anywhere and it's surprisingly fast. Of course there are lot of other fun cars too.

The bulldozer hits like a mofo in the first game, but it ends up on its side all the loving time. The 'dozer in the sequel doesn't have that problem, especially since you can just tap Z to flip back on your wheels again.

E: Also, berryjon: I don't know if you know, since I haven't watched all the videos yet, but you can increase the screen size from the default by pressing '+' on the numpad. The default size is one or two notches below the maximum.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The bulldozer hits like a mofo in the first game, but it ends up on its side all the loving time. The 'dozer in the sequel doesn't have that problem, especially since you can just tap Z to flip back on your wheels again.
Wait, what? :catstare:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

When your vehicle ends up on its side in Carmageddon 2, you can press the wheelspin button (default key is Z) and a direction to waggle it back onto its wheels. Pretty useful at times.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

And I wasted so much money on recoveries whenever I flipped over (all the time). :cripes:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm not sure where I found out about the wheelspin trick, but I want to say they mention it in the Carma 2 manual. To be fair, usually you'll end up on your roof (at least I do when I play these games) and wheelspin won't help you there.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation and its enhanced re-release, Carmageddon: Max Damage, actually let you flip your car over even when it is upside down. I usually end up flipping it so violently that it lands right back on its roof. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I apologize for the audio in this video. We now have a third commentator / backseat driver, and my efforts to balance the three of us with the game audio didn't work out so well. Improvements will be made in the future.

Race #6 - Industrial Injury

I erred earlier in the thread. There is only one Industrial map in the game - the second one is in the expansion pack.
But at least it's better than the Caramgeddeon 2 industrial map.

edit - it looks like youtube is still processing. Give it a few minutes, everyone.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
There's this one game that does driver/passenger damage. But why stop at simple concussions? Why not have a bullet pass through the car armour and rip off the driver's knee. Or impact into something so hard their jaw is crushed.

The game itself is pretty jank. A neat idea that's weighed down by the 'old-school' MMO part of the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I played Darkwind when it was in beta, and it was much better before they "fixed" it. Post-fixing, it became a terrible, sloggy grind to get anywhere due to the high difficulty level of combat and the general ineffectiveness of weapons(combined with wear and tear), providing for an extremely tiring game that took ages to get anywhere in. Pre-patching, they had enough buggy parts in the combat that it was much easier than they intended it to be(which basically just made it tolerable), by virtue of making NPC drivers largely cowards who'd panic and break once you hit them with a large enough volume of fire(meaning you just needed the lightest, most-rapidfiring guns to set enemy drivers fleeing, then knock them out with some heavy weapons afterwards).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
One of the things that I hated was how the game is how it doesn't respect your time. Think Everquest and such era of MMOs.
Say you want to join a basic Patrol event (PvE Combat. The main way for getting cars/parts/weapons).
Well first you need a bunch of cars with guns/ammo/not busted parts/people to drive and man the guns. Need to repair/rearm the car? That's 2+ hours real-time so you want to make sure that poo poo is ready beforehand. You can rent cars too but they come with strict unchangeable loadouts.
So eventually you're set up. Well you need to find a group of players to team up with if you're not an established player with a stable of crew and a fleet of cars. You'll need to wait for everyone else to be ready.
Combat finally happens and if your people don't get wrecked, you get to loot!
After combat there's a chance of a Retaliation/Return event so you need to stick around for a few minutes. If you're unlucky you have to play in this event too with your damaged cars and limping looting vehicles. It's tense but it's also lovely because you can lose everything quite easily. If you're not around another player can control your cars/people.
Then you need to wait 30mins+ for the Patrol group to actually arrive back at town.
Once back then you can actually start repairing all your cars again.

I managed to get lucky with Patrols and nice players so I got a good stable of ok Starter cars with guns/crew that I could do the Easy Patrols just by myself or with a friend or two. The game was much more fun when you can cut out the 2+ hours of prep time.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That civ kill at 7 minutes was fantastic.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Race #7 - Avenue of Atrocities

In today's race, we return to our scenic city - for long straight lines just begging for a fast car with poor turning.
Which is something that I ... correct in this video.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
OK, rapidly getting to the point where I never got to as a kid. Spent too much time on pointless armour upgrades.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
After the many, many hours just playing the demo of this game when I was younger I still have most of this map memorized. I remember also luring the cop and sometimes a competitor into the overhead tunnel things you see running around the map then leaving them stuck up there so I could painstakingly run around killing all the pedestrians without anyone harassing me or finishing the level before I was done.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Pedestrian, REMEMBER!
Driver always
Hunts you!!!
bla-bla
blah-blah

Walk across the road by crossing only

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I feel like doing two videos today. Mostly because I have two cars to drive!

Racer #3 - Vlad the Impaler

You know how I mentioned this map was great for a fast car with poor turning?
Well, guess what I have now!

Race #8 - Mist Me!

I'm just going to assume that the cause of our bad robot is water damage.
Makes sense, given where we're racing today!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We have a desync issue on the second video which we hope to have resolved shortly.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

We have a desync issue on the second video which we hope to have resolved shortly.

Shortly as in after I get home from a day at work and dodging cars.

Let's try this video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74FJ2PhZ_1E

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

berryjon posted:

Shortly as in after I get home from a day at work and dodging cars.

How many times do I have to tell you to go for kills rather than laps? :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

How many times do I have to tell you to go for kills rather than laps? :colbert:

I'm a pedestrian! On a bicycle though. Dodging is vital! I don't want some random shmuck getting 8 seconds on their timer!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

berryjon posted:

I'm a pedestrian! On a bicycle though. Dodging is vital! I don't want some random shmuck getting 8 seconds on their timer!

A bike is still a vehicle! Have you considered investing in some massively impractical spikes to improve offensive performance?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Man I remember playing the crap out of these games when I was little. If you need another commenter at some point that's pretty familiar with the games, hit me up, this is my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

A bike is still a vehicle! Have you considered investing in some massively impractical spikes to improve offensive performance?

They wreck my handling performance - too many noseflips over the slightest bump. I know it's nice for the bonus that way, but it's hard to recover from the 2000 credit recovery all the time.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Man I remember playing the crap out of these games when I was little. If you need another commenter at some point that's pretty familiar with the games, hit me up, this is my childhood.

I'm taking a break this week and next from recording commentary due to other commitments. PM me with your Skype contact info, and we can see.

• Locked thread