Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sarcastx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all; will have a play around with VIA to see what all I can do with it.

The spring replacement is a solid idea, heh I even have some springs from my espresso machine to adjust the group head pressure that might fit
I don't have a fixie but having a customized mechanical keyboard and modified espresso machine must make me some type of identifiable fuckwit for sure

The venn diagram of the mechanical keyboard, audio, and coffee hobbies is nearly a perfect circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Here's a pic of my previously mentioned "lap plank".
As promised, it looks like poo poo, but it works perfectly, and is a lot cheaper than anything I saw on the market.

I like the looks of my HHKB, especially as I have 2 sets of caps so I can mix n match, but I've not really warmed to it otherwise. Gonna sell it soon and get, idk, something else.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 25, 2024

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

The venn diagram of the mechanical keyboard, audio, and coffee hobbies is nearly a perfect circle.

It's uncanny really lol

(Although I've been dabbling in Chinese tea lately, more so than coffee. It's a fun hobby tangent when I want something other than coffee.)

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Tbf the sort of person that fusses over key presses is also perfect for fussing over their delicately flavored water.

I like my finger presses tactile and my hotwater smokey.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I like my keyboards loud and my coffee so thick with sugar you can eat it with a fork.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sarcastx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all; will have a play around with VIA to see what all I can do with it.

The spring replacement is a solid idea, heh I even have some springs from my espresso machine to adjust the group head pressure that might fit
I don't have a fixie but having a customized mechanical keyboard and modified espresso machine must make me some type of identifiable fuckwit for sure

Doing some reading around, I've seen the suggestion of throwing the spring from a ballpoint pen into a switch. Most of the heavier replacement springs you can find for keyswitches are in the 100-150g range. A ballpoint pen spring is 1kg equivalent. That would ensure you never press that key unless you absolutely loving meant to.

Hell, I might do this for my capslock since stepped capslock keycaps are an endangered species these days and accidentally pressing that key is annoying as hell.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Rebind capslock to control or an fn key please I beg you. It's in too good of a spot to waste.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Zonekeeper posted:

Hell, I might do this for my capslock since stepped capslock keycaps are an endangered species these days and accidentally pressing that key is annoying as hell.

Configure CapsLock to work as a Ctrl. This has the added benefit that Ctrl isn't as far away anymore.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The issue isn't the function of the key, it's that every single keyboard I've used prior to getting my Ducky has had a little nub missing from that key to create extra space between it and A, and most mechanicals have decided that's not a cool thing to have.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

sarcastx posted:

I figured I'd order a Gateron switch tester, find which of the switches is the most miserable to press, and then do the ol' pop & swap.

your best bet would be the aliaz 70, they feel awful.

via is a better option tho

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

gnatalie posted:

your best bet would be the aliaz 70, they feel awful.

via is a better option tho

I guess - noob mech keyboard question - can you use like, any brand switches?
I just assumed since my Keychron V5 Max came with Gateron I was like, locked into that ecosystem...

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

sarcastx posted:

I just assumed since my Keychron V5 Max came with Gateron I was like, locked into that ecosystem...

Presuming your board is hotswappable switches, they need to be 3pin vs 5pin. 5pin is for soldered switches. Some switches I've found are only available in one or the other. But otherwise any brand you want as long as the keycaps match the stem (usually cherry mx or the little cross). If for whatever reason your ideal switch has five pins you can trim the two plastic ones. Other than that consideration, any brand is fine.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

sarcastx posted:

effectively yes, any brand will be fine as long as they're "cherry/mx compatible", which is the overwhelming majority of switches.

the aliaz are in the gateron v2 switch tester, which i highly recommend. it has a wide variety of tactile and linear (gently caress clicky) switches for a relatively cheap price.

your board supports both 3 and 5 pin, so there's no need to worry about pin count

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Zonekeeper posted:

The issue isn't the function of the key, it's that every single keyboard I've used prior to getting my Ducky has had a little nub missing from that key to create extra space between it and A, and most mechanicals have decided that's not a cool thing to have.

Stepped Caps are alive and well in the custom keycap space, but unfortunately they're almost always part of a large base kit that runs $80+. I hear you, though. I use stepped caps on all my boards, though on most of them I've got it set to Winkey instead.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The key cap sets I have that came with a stepped caps keycap never had it fit on a standard layout, they always seem to want the caps key switch to be like a half or quarter unit further left.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gearman posted:

Stepped Caps are alive and well in the custom keycap space, but unfortunately they're almost always part of a large base kit that runs $80+. I hear you, though. I use stepped caps on all my boards, though on most of them I've got it set to Winkey instead.

I got a replacement keycap set, and guess what? The stepped keycap requires the Capslock switch to be mounted in an offset position to be used, so that "option" doesn't exist for most keyboards I see for sale. I possess a stepped keycap and I cannot use it.

There is exactly one place on the internet that sells center-stem stepped capslock keycaps, and they only come in non-translucent white letters on black plastic. so I either have to specifically get a keycap set that matches it, deal with my capslock key being a different color from every single other key, or just deal with my non-stepped key.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

nielsm posted:

The key cap sets I have that came with a stepped caps keycap never had it fit on a standard layout, they always seem to want the caps key switch to be like a half or quarter unit further left.
It does need a board that supports stepped caps lock, some custom boards have the option of both stepped and standard on the same PCB

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Llamadeus posted:

It does need a board that supports stepped caps lock, some custom boards have the option of both stepped and standard on the same PCB

Every hot-swappable board I've ever seen has the switch in the standard position, so if you want that feature and stepped capslock you're out of luck.

That's why putting an incredibly stiff spring into the switch sounds reasonable to me. It's one of the few solutions available that is universal and doesn't ruin the aesthetics of the board.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it used to be that stepped caps was only really an option on soldered boards but at some point designers realised you can squeeze both caps types into a hotswap board if one of them has the switch flipped upside down

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
I have a neo80 and it supports a stepped caps lock. Looks like the neo65 does as well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Yiggy posted:

Tbf the sort of person that fusses over key presses is also perfect for fussing over their delicately flavored water.

I like my finger presses tactile and my hotwater smokey.

Ever try Lapsang Souchong? :O

Got my knob module from Meletrix. After I ordered the Strawberry Icecream one since they did not have a Plum one (after 3 days of no loving answer in their customer service chat), they responded and said that they had a Plum one and changed my order to match that.

I just opened the box and it's... Strawberry Icecream. Gotta love customer service. :smith:

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

sarcastx posted:

Getting my first mech keyboard today - a Keychron v5 Max on Gateron Jupiter Reds. Pretty stoked to give it a crack and am already planning a modification that I thought I'd ask y'all about :

I have this bad habit with my current keyboard where I accidentally press the F1 key when I'm working up by the top row... maybe I'm a poo poo typist, I'll grant that and I know it's an unusual issue, but it happens to me frequently enough to bother me. It's only an issue if I'm using an Office app - because it does the creaking groaning slow-as-gently caress, bring Office to a crawl poo poo where it tries to dynamically connect to some garbage service and effectively stops me in my tracks while it tries to connect to 2,000 different tracking and logging services to render a lovely help page in the right pane which I'll immediately dismiss the moment the " x " renders. This issue should be lessened because my current lovely keyboard has the F1 key immediately above the number row and there's a bit more of a gap on the Keychron.

So I want to swap out the switch for the F1 key, with the heaviest loving switch known to man. I mean I want it to be like trying to crush a rock underneath a railroad tie by pressing on the rail. I figured I'd order a Gateron switch tester, find which of the switches is the most miserable to press, and then do the ol' pop & swap.

What do you think; sound like a feasible plan... or are the keys in switch testers fixed in place and irremovable?

Switching the spring to something stiffer is pretty common, and many people even do that just for their spacebars to compensate for the larger key size.

You're not going to find something appreciably stiff in a switch tester. Also switch testers are literally just "here's a rectangle with some switch-sized holes cut in it that you can press switches in to". Switches pop out of them EZ PZ.

For my keyboards (and even my fightsticks that take MX compatible switches), I always have some keys that I don't want to easily/accidentally press (typically they key I have remapped to Caps Lock, as my "normal" caps lock key is remapped to a function key for layer activation.

My go-to is using a spring from a Cherry MX MX1A-1GCX switch, which is 350cN activation. I'm not sure if you can get those anymore (they were kind of a meme switch being sold by a site that tends to specialize in meme keycaps and switches), but you could always get some fuckoff heavy springs from Mechbox or something. I always put those springs in something like a Kailh Speed Navy clicky switch, so not only was it a stiff switch to press, it was loud so you know if you actually pressed it.

There are some 150g MX springs on Amazon you can try, but IMO I don't think those are heavy enough to prevent accidental activation (although to be fair, I used to daily a keyboard that was all MX clears with 150g springs, so my sense of what's heavy is a little skewed). You can try those and see how it feels, or maybe even double up on them.

I have some really cursed keyboards I've modded that I should take pictures of some day.

CRAYON posted:

Rebind capslock to control or an fn key please I beg you. It's in too good of a spot to waste.

Yeah this rules. Using ESDF for arrow keys is great when the Fn layer key is a single finger reach away.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 26, 2024

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Framboise posted:

Ever try Lapsang Souchong? :O

Got my knob module from Meletrix. After I ordered the Strawberry Icecream one since they did not have a Plum one (after 3 days of no loving answer in their customer service chat), they responded and said that they had a Plum one and changed my order to match that.

I just opened the box and it's... Strawberry Icecream. Gotta love customer service. :smith:

Dear Lord. Meletrix customer service trying to take crown from Keychron I guess.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

God I FINALLY got the stupid RGB backlight on my keyboard to display a respectable white light. The default "white" has a very blue cast to it so I had to hand adjust the color picker in Via for what felt like forever.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

wash bucket posted:

God I FINALLY got the stupid RGB backlight on my keyboard to display a respectable white light. The default "white" has a very blue cast to it so I had to hand adjust the color picker in Via for what felt like forever.

I didn't think this was even possible. Can you post what rgb value worked out for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

god please help me posted:

I didn't think this was even possible. Can you post what rgb value worked out for you?

R 255
G 192
B 180
# ffc0b4

Though I doubt it will work for other keyboards since it's compensating for the color cast in whatever LEDs are used in mine.