Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«121 »
Whiskey A Go Go!
May 7, 2007

So if I break a bone, I get a cookie? Good deal!

.Z. posted:

How does she feel about the 68% layouts? e.g. Drop ALT, no F Row and 3 less keys from the Home cluster. If she's fine with that (and also fine with taking her wallet out back and shooting it) the barebones Mito Laser Alt is a lavender color and would be a nice compliment to the Dark Magic Girl set. Available for $230....

https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-laser-alt-high-profile

She is liking the CRTL in black backing so she will now journey into the wallet abuse territory of custom keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

I ordered my Hades 68 three weeks ago and this drat COVID shipping delay poo poo is putting a damper on how much I'm looking forward to it. This stupid Razer Blackwidow piece of poo poo is barely holding on. Currently using the clipboard to paste the letter "n" any time I have to type it because it's broken along with the caps lock and left ctrl button

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What's the best mechanical numpad? I bought a cheap non mechanical one and it's super light and crappy (obviously) and I want something with more weight. I just need to to function like a numpad. I see some Varmilo ones out there, are they any good? I'd like something with some weight to it if possible.

The steel Cospad case is nice and sturdy - though the adhesive on the diffuser plate isn't perfect. I've got mine with a PCB from LFKeyboards that makes the switches hot-swappable, but LFK is one guy working in his spare time so the PCB took forever to get to me.

If hotswap sockets aren't important to you, though, probably easiest to get the whole thing assembled from KPRepublic and only have to deal with shipping once.

e: if you do get it from LFK, make sure you pick up some plastic spacers to brace the PCB against the case.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Please note that keyboard construction will also play a large role in how loud switches are. A more open design with a lighter backplate will be louder, in my experience. It's worth listening to sound tests for keyboards as well as a result.

That's a great point. Do you have any recommendations for keyboards that have the kind of build quality that lends itself to being quiet?

EDIT: I currently have my eyes on the Ducky One 2 Skyline full size keyboard, probably with MX red silent switches, although I'll wait until my switch tester gets here before committing. Anyone have any experience with this board or other Ducky boards?

Saddamnit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 27, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

Saddamnit posted:

That's a great point. Do you have any recommendations for keyboards that have the kind of build quality that lends itself to being quiet?

EDIT: I currently have my eyes on the Ducky One 2 Skyline full size keyboard, probably with MX red silent switches, although I'll wait until my switch tester gets here before committing. Anyone have any experience with this board or other Ducky boards?

I got my wife the Ducky One ... er, 1? the model that came before the befuddlingly named One 2, for her birthday a few years back. She loves it and says she can type most accurately on it, versus her work computer e.g. It's been quieter than any other prebuilt TKL I've used, despite them all having Cherry MX Brown switches. MX Silent Red should be even quieter.

I've also used the Ducky Pocket with Cherry MX Browns, and I liked the build quality and programmable keys. Not sure if the One 2 Skyline has programmability, though.

In any case, I think you'll be pretty happy with your choice above.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Speaking of kprepublic, has anyone ordered from them lately? I ordered some parts from them late April and while I can't say I'm surprised they haven't arrived given the current situation, but my inability to really track it is making me antsy.

Whiskey A Go Go!
May 7, 2007

So if I break a bone, I get a cookie? Good deal!

Some Goon posted:

Speaking of kprepublic, has anyone ordered from them lately? I ordered some parts from them late April and while I can't say I'm surprised they haven't arrived given the current situation, but my inability to really track it is making me antsy.

All public postal systems are dealing with Christmas levels of mail right now and it is only increasing with social distancing affecting how many people are in the mail centers. It took over a month to get a package from Novel Keys to Canada. It will come but you are going to have to wait.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 3, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I got one of these Akko 3084 World Tour Tokyo's because everyone needs a nice Cherry Blossom themed board. It's quite gorgeous actually and especially the space bar. Has USB C and Bluetooth. Love the keycap texture. Cherry Browns as usual for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love this board and layout, but i wish it came in reds. I play a lot of computery games and I'm waffling between this layout, full-size, and TKL. Would this layout be alright for computer games? I can probably shove an external numpad on my desk for games that need it. Also are Cherry reds alright for games? I love my blues but they're rather loud.

E: I guess if I didn't like the switches, I could learn to swap them myself too!

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 29, 2020

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

It's more than enough for games, plus the benefit of having more mouse space.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012
Tell your mum I said hi lol

Iíve been using the left side of an ergodox for gaming sometimes and it works great for me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Has anyone else here tried QMX clips?
They definitely "work" to reduce noise. But silence comes at a cost.
I finally realized today why is don't like them so much.
They put a really weird preload on the switches to the point that they're overly sensitive.

My Cherry MX Blacks are preloaded to the point that I can't even look at them without making a key actuate. Like I can't even touch type because if you touch the key, or even blow on it, it actuates.
How the gently caress is that useful?

I mean the shortened keystroke is fine, but unless your switches only actuate at bottom-out I can't see them as doing anything particularly helpful.

They seem to work okay on my Gateron Blues but what the gently caress is the point of dampening a clicky switch.

That's like putting a silencer on an A1 Abrams tank.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

With the QMX-Clip, we have attended to one of the last disadvantages of mechanical keyboards, the clicking sound when the keys are activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I mean, keys can't click if they're always depressed.

«121 »