Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I bought a full-size. In fact the second I saw this full-size my hand slammed onto the buy button so hard it flew off and was carried away by an eagle.

Actually I am currently still in possession of both hands. I wanted a bigger keyboard since all I am doing these days is white-collar computer nonsense and I wanted to switch to Cherry tac switches and and and IT'S CUTE :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
hosed up that i cant find anywhere to just buy those keycaps

probably would be less cute with my boring black plastic board anyways :smith:

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Eezee posted:

I've been browsing some sites and the Varmilo VA88m looks pretty good to me, but I have never heard of that brand. Are they decent value for the money or should I look at something else? My requirements would mostly be having some way to control media (FN button is fine) and it shouldn't really cost more than 150€. I have brown switches right now and don't know any better, so not really fussed about upgrading in that regard. I also would like to give Tenkeyless a shot, but it's not a must.

I have the VA68M and love it, it has a solidity to it I really appreciate and it's held up very well over the last couple years. Mine's a kind of weird version with a case made from a magnesium alloy, so I imagine it'll feel a bit different, but it's a solid brand imo.

There's a bunch more TKLs now than there used to be, but I have, and like, the WASD Code, which is v solid as well. I'm sure other people will have more recommendations, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Varmilo is one of the best manufacturers along with Leopold.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've had a VA88 for work for the last three years, with browns, and it's been great. Using it again now since I haven't fixed my Iris yet, it feels really good and is very sturdy.

I've run the caps in the dishwasher with no Ill effect as well, so that's a thing.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 6, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Doccykins posted:

Thanks for the advice all, the Durgod looks good but the K310 doesn't come in black that I can find - did find this Cherry Mk1 though going cheap as I assume it's end of line. Looks the part, has media keys and cherry brown mx switches. Any drawbacks? Is the board itself poor build quality? (though I imagine being Cherry themselves their keys would be made for their own boards?)

https://www.cclonline.com/product/275048/G80-3816LXBGB-2/Keyboards/CHERRY-MX-BOARD-1-0-BACKLIGHT-USB-Keyboard-with-BROWN-SWITCH-UK-/KBD1894/

Actually the board's build quality is loving top-notch. It's the most stable and well built mass-produced brand of boards I've owned.
It's even programmable with the Zeus Engine Software.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Typing this with my brand new, first mechanical keyboard! It's a Keychron K4 with Gateron blue switches. Very clicky, and I like the light effects. 100/10

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Finally, NK65 PCBs have come in stock and I can repair my DoA one within the next couple of weeks :toot: I'm really looking forward to trying out the Outemu U4 switches I've had sitting around for a month and the JWK linears I have coming soon. Truly hope they both live up to their reputations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Actually the board's build quality is loving top-notch. It's the most stable and well built mass-produced brand of boards I've owned.
It's even programmable with the Zeus Engine Software.

oh awesome, no excuses left then, pulling the trigger on this :)

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

Eezee posted:

Hey Keyboard Thread,

I was looking at some new keyboards, since my garbage elite gaming CoolerMaster seems to have a broken switch and I'm not particularly inclined to buy soldering equipment to save a lovely keyboard.

I've been browsing some sites and the Varmilo VA88m looks pretty good to me, but I have never heard of that brand. Are they decent value for the money or should I look at something else? My requirements would mostly be having some way to control media (FN button is fine) and it shouldn't really cost more than 150€. I have brown switches right now and don't know any better, so not really fussed about upgrading in that regard. I also would like to give Tenkeyless a shot, but it's not a must.

Varmilo is one of the best out of the box keyboard brands. But with confidence. They are up there with Leopold and Ducky. Build quality is solid, they have some cool designs / themes for their keyboards, and their keycaps feel good too. I bought a set of their keycaps for my massdrop CTRL.

I don’t know for sure, but their stabilizers felt lubed from the factory which cuts down on a rattling sound and improves the feel of the space bar, enter, backspace, and shift keys.

The only reason I’m not still using my varmilo is because I wanted a hot swappable switch keyboard to try out some different non Cherry switches.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm considering a replacement for my home keyboard, which is a full layout with cherry black switches. I really like the one I have at work that I got from elitekeyboards, but that site is apparently no more. It's a tenkeyless with browns.

I'm not married to that exact layout or switch type, but I need a board that has home, end, delete, F keys, and at least one windows key or equivalent as actual keys. Single height enter preferred. I'm intrigued by rumors of more tactile switches. Backlight isn't necessary but also isn't a downside.

I've seen this keychron which looks nice, and this leopold and others that are great except they have no way of indicating caps lock is on?? I'm wondering if there's anything I've been missing in the sea of 60% boards and occasional full size old-school layouts.

I am not interested in paying a significant amount extra to build something myself unless it's a unicorn in ways no one wants to read, but I can probably solder something without burning my house down.

Though I've gotta say, browsing through this stuff took me from "why the hell would you build your own" through "goddamn so many of these are almost perfect" to "oh that's why they build their own."

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm not married to that exact layout or switch type, but I need a board that has home, end, delete, F keys, and at least one windows key or equivalent as actual keys. Single height enter preferred. I'm intrigued by rumors of more tactile switches. Backlight isn't necessary but also isn't a downside.

Sounds like a 75% layout is perfect for you. (the layout that is used in that Keychron K2))

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I'm considering a replacement for my home keyboard, which is a full layout with cherry black switches. I really like the one I have at work that I got from elitekeyboards, but that site is apparently no more. It's a tenkeyless with browns.

I've seen this keychron which looks nice, and this leopold and others that are great except they have no way of indicating caps lock is on?? I'm wondering if there's anything I've been missing in the sea of 60% boards and occasional full size old-school layouts.

I am not interested in paying a significant amount extra to build something myself unless it's a unicorn in ways no one wants to read, but I can probably solder something without burning my house down.

Though I've gotta say, browsing through this stuff took me from "why the hell would you build your own" through "goddamn so many of these are almost perfect" to "oh that's why they build their own."

I just want to throw out that GMMK has a hotswap TKL in the same price range. If you wanted the option to play with switches down the road or just want more options for the initial switches it's not a bad option.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thanks to both of you! I'll look into those once I'm off work.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Typing this with my brand new, first mechanical keyboard! It's a Keychron K4 with Gateron blue switches. Very clicky, and I like the light effects. 100/10

Welcome to the mechanical keyboard club! I wish I could pull off having blue switches where I live and where I work - unfortunately I'd get murdered by my wife and by my co-workers. I've switched to Cherry MX Reds and might stay on the linear train for a while unless something good and tactile comes around.

I know the Keychrons like to sit tall, so I recommend getting a wrist rest that you'll like.

If you're every annoyed by the sounds it makes from the non-clickies, easiest solutions are always putting some foam in the board (don't cover the battery though), some PBT keycaps, and lubing up the switches. I never removed my switches and nor disassembled them, I just took some Super Lube (with the thin applicator nozzle) and put a tiny drop on the sides of the switch while pushing it down to open it up. Also, O-rings too!

It can all be tedious so I recommend doing it on a rainy, boring day.

Also, what is the next keyboard you'd like to get? Once you get one, you can't stop. My Akko 3084 is my 4th, and I'm eager to get my Durgod Fusion in October.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ringo Star Get posted:

Welcome to the mechanical keyboard club! I wish I could pull off having blue switches where I live and where I work - unfortunately I'd get murdered by my wife and by my co-workers. I've switched to Cherry MX Reds and might stay on the linear train for a while unless something good and tactile comes around.

I know the Keychrons like to sit tall, so I recommend getting a wrist rest that you'll like.

If you're every annoyed by the sounds it makes from the non-clickies, easiest solutions are always putting some foam in the board (don't cover the battery though), some PBT keycaps, and lubing up the switches. I never removed my switches and nor disassembled them, I just took some Super Lube (with the thin applicator nozzle) and put a tiny drop on the sides of the switch while pushing it down to open it up. Also, O-rings too!

It can all be tedious so I recommend doing it on a rainy, boring day.

Also, what is the next keyboard you'd like to get? Once you get one, you can't stop. My Akko 3084 is my 4th, and I'm eager to get my Durgod Fusion in October.

Honestly I’m very happy with it—I think I wanna get into keycaps next, maybe try to mold my own even!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just got a notification from Drop that my Susuwatari is in the mail, and that my Keychron K8 should ship this month!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just got my Leopold fc980m in and holy poo poo do the keycaps feel fantastic. The build quality of the entire thing feels great. Everything is solid, nothing bends or creeks. I'm really happy with it. I just need to get used to the space bar sound because they put some foam in it and it changes the sound from what I'm accustomed to. It's much more of a "thock" than a "clack".

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
"thock" is the lord's sound

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Thanks for the help. I splurged a bit and ordered the Varmilo with a nicer colorscheme than the all black one I posted before.

What is the general opinion on wrist rests? I've always used onebut I also have the bad habit of restig my wrists in it while typing and I'm pretty sure that's just begging for an RSI.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Eezee posted:

What is the general opinion on wrist rests? I've always used onebut I also have the bad habit of restig my wrists in it while typing and I'm pretty sure that's just begging for an RSI.

Get this board if you want to force yourself to learn a floating typing technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWYj97Fc8E

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

.Z. posted:

I just want to throw out that GMMK has a hotswap TKL in the same price range. If you wanted the option to play with switches down the road or just want more options for the initial switches it's not a bad option.

I'm taking a look at this now that I'm home from work, and it's great...except the branding

They had the decency to drop "master" from "pc master race," at least...

Am I the only person made uncomfortable by this poo poo? Because while this looks like a really nice keyboard, uh...

Edit: is this makes no sense just probe me for being drunk

Edit 3: I'm not accusing Z of anything, he's a cool guy as far as I've seen

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 8, 2020

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
"glorious PC gaming master race" was maybe funny ten years ago, if you squinted and turned off your higher brain function, but it's definitely pretty dumb-looking now, yeah

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm taking a look at this now that I'm home from work, and it's great...except the branding

Am I the only person made uncomfortable by this poo poo? Because while this looks like a really nice keyboard, uh...

Nah, you're not the only one. It may have started as a dumb PC vs. consoles gamer culture thing but it's too close to nazi ubermensch and therefore fashy poo poo in a post trump world.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

That branding is why gmmk was never an option for me when I was looking for a hotswap keyboard.

Speaking of! The Impulse arrived. It's actually pretty good! The switches are hot swappable, even though none of the branding on the box has even been updated yet to say so, and for some reason even though I was worried I would hate how it looks based on pictures and the one video review, it's actually pretty alright in person. Not sure why it didn't seem as good on screen. Build quality is good, it doesn't flex at all, I like the look, feel, and sound of the plate typing on it, and the floating keys work for me. The stabilizers aren't perfect, but they're much better than the ones on the K70 I was coming from. There's also no software to install at all, so if that's a turn off for you, great! I got mine with Box Whites, which I like quite a lot. The PBT key caps it comes with are fine, dim alternate function legend aside, especially if you like the pudding style. They gave the switches a more high-pitched tone compared to even the cheap NKPC PBT caps I swapped on, which was a surprise, but the difference wasn't huge.

Downsides include the default keycap legends - which have a slightly weird font (but nowhere near as bad as, say, modern Corsair keyboards), but the function legends are almost impossible to read, with or without the LEDs. Speaking of which, I turned the LEDs off right away, though if you're into RGB then it seems like it's got some good options, but the problem is is working with them through the hot keys is a pain in the rear end, and if RGB is a big deal to you, setting them up will suck.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it! I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a fullsize hot swap.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Behold my final steps into keyboard madness

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

.Z. posted:

:patriot:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rexxed posted:

Nah, you're not the only one. It may have started as a dumb PC vs. consoles gamer culture thing but it's too close to nazi ubermensch and therefore fashy poo poo in a post trump world.

:actually: it was Yahtzee making fun of PC gamers for the PC vs console thing. Not that it matters, it's why I don't have a GMMK board, just an amusing piece of internet trivia.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

.Z. posted:

use the keyboard that comes with the computer
buy a keyboard with fancy switches
build a keyboard with fancy switches
build the switches for a keyboard

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

use the keyboard that comes with the computer
buy a keyboard with fancy switches
build a keyboard with fancy switches
build the switches for a keyboard

contract a factory in China to reproduce an all-metal keyboard design from the 1970s

That's the most extreme step I've seen so far.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some Goon posted:

:actually: it was Yahtzee making fun of PC gamers for the PC vs console thing. Not that it matters, it's why I don't have a GMMK board, just an amusing piece of internet trivia.

I played Yahtzee as a child but don't remember that part of it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nah, I feel the same way, even though I got a GMMK TKL back in the day (edit: wait, it was as recent as 2017; no excuses for me there). Not gonna buy anything from them again, though.

In another dumb hobby of mine: there's a specific wristwatch design that has its roots in the German Luftwaffe. A few German watch manufacturers have lineage back to those days, and they're still making these watches today. It kinda looks cool, but I can never bring myself to buy one, not even a knockoff made by a non-German company with no historical ties to the Nazi airforce. :/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'll admit that I looked at getting a barebones GMMK as a neat hot-swapping platform, but I was driven away by the marketing. Unfortunate connotations aside, it's just cringy and I don't want to be in the position of having to explain what they mean by "glorious race" if someone happens to look at the back of my keyboard.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I had some amazon giftcards laying around and wanted to change the blank keys of my filco majestouch 2 so I picked up this set, seeming by mistake because for some reason poo poo like shift or backspace have this thing where if you don't push them down perfectly in the center they just feel like they're jamming or "binding" I think I'm using the term correctly. Other times they push down fine but if you push them down harder they click a second time, so I often get this nasty double click feeling specifically the backspace key and the left shift key, the space bar has zero issues.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dramicus posted:

contract a factory in China to reproduce an all-metal keyboard design from the 1970s

That's the most extreme step I've seen so far.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105222.0

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Edit 3: I'm not accusing Z of anything, he's a cool guy as far as I've seen

It's a little reddit tier cringe, but the boards themselves are just plain aluminum slabs with no logos or branding on them at all so meh, whatever. And the price for a simple hotswap board that can be ordered barebones is good.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you wanna talk about questionable imagery in gaming and logos that are annoying, how about skypad. I imagine the design process had "oh, we should turn that second one around and put it at an angle" said at some point during it. The worst part is the creator loves the logo to the point they don't even give you the option to remove it or get a smaller logo on your mousepad. It's annoying as heck, but they have a literal monopoly on fps-sized glass pads right now.

The logo is a fat neckbeard with an unkempt beard & hair. It's a dumb joke about console and mobile being inferior. Despite the allusion, and how tone deaf it is in general, it's a fairly inclusive mentality. "pc gaming race" is anyone who pc games, and anyone can join the pc gaming race by pc gaming.

Most of their products have minimal to no branding on purpose, and they actively lose customers with their current branding because people find it offensive or cringe. There's a reason most people call the company "glorious", and that's really what they should rebrand to with no logo/logo under the product being their standard.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 8, 2020

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Khorne posted:

Despite the allusion, and how tone deaf it is in general, it's a fairly inclusive mentality. "pc gaming race" is anyone who pc games, and anyone can join the pc gaming race by pc gaming.

This is a thread about $100+ keyboards. The PC gaming master race thing got started because a low end gaming pc costs double what a console does, and goes up from there. “Inclusive” isn’t quite the word you’re looking for.

e: we have a $100 mouse thread in the same forum.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

.Z. posted:

No idea. What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think they're Zilents