Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any suggestions for diy kits? i want to solder, a lot.

Iím building a Nibble 65. Itís through hole, so you will definitely will get your soldering fill and it also has a rotary encoder and display, so you get a lot of fun gadgets as well.
If you want to make the soldering more challenging, get Mill-Max sockets and solder those in which will make your board hotswappable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Does anyone make a PCB or kit for a 6x6 macro pad? I've been playing around with the keyboard layout editor and decided that size gives me the most flexibility for a multipurpose macro/numpad/F-keys/etc pad, but I can't actually find any 6x6 boards. 5x7 has a few options and the BFO-9000 can be brought down to 6x7, but no 6x6.

The only hard requirement I'd have is that it be compatible with QMK. Hot swap sockets and backlighting strongly preferred, addressable RGB and USB-C would be nice but not deal breakers. A rotary encoder or two would be neat too.

Plan B is to 3D print or have my friend laser cut a case for a bunch of these https://www.adafruit.com/product/4978 wired to one of my spare Arduinos.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

wolrah posted:

Does anyone make a PCB or kit for a 6x6 macro pad? I've been playing around with the keyboard layout editor and decided that size gives me the most flexibility for a multipurpose macro/numpad/F-keys/etc pad, but I can't actually find any 6x6 boards. 5x7 has a few options and the BFO-9000 can be brought down to 6x7, but no 6x6.

The only hard requirement I'd have is that it be compatible with QMK. Hot swap sockets and backlighting strongly preferred, addressable RGB and USB-C would be nice but not deal breakers. A rotary encoder or two would be neat too.

Plan B is to 3D print or have my friend laser cut a case for a bunch of these https://www.adafruit.com/product/4978 wired to one of my spare Arduinos.

Get a Planck or Preonic with some DSA/XDA keycaps so you can turn it length-wise and call it a day?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

.Z. posted:

Get a Planck or Preonic with some DSA/XDA keycaps so you can turn it length-wise and call it a day?
While a compact ortho board turned sideways wouldn't be the worst thing, I am pretty firmly stuck on the 6x6 part for this dumb idea. Initially the idea was just a 4x5 numpad to augment my Moonlander but it got a bit out of control.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any suggestions for diy kits? i want to solder, a lot.

There's a round 2 of the LCK75 happening soon. I can personally attest to it being a cool and fun board to build and use. Here's the Geekhack link for the IC: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112652.0

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Gearman posted:

There's a round 2 of the LCK75 happening soon. I can personally attest to it being a cool and fun board to build and use. Here's the Geekhack link for the IC: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112652.0

Oh, this looks awesome! If Iím able to get in on the group buy, Iíll probably cancel my gmmk pro. I already ordered murphpad, so Iím going to be soldering anyway, and this looks like it would be a fun project.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

thanks for the tips everybody! i ended up getting this just to have a sacrificial project in case i gently caress it up really bad the first time. in poking around i realized i'd most like to build a 60%, so my main interest right now is the dz60 rev3 on kbdfans. anything i should know before i order it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

thanks for the tips everybody! i ended up getting this just to have a sacrificial project in case i gently caress it up really bad the first time. in poking around i realized i'd most like to build a 60%, so my main interest right now is the dz60 rev3 on kbdfans. anything i should know before i order it?

Gherkin is cool and good. Have fun.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

The DZ60 is a great PCB and supports All the Layouts. Just double-check when soldering your switches in to make sure you're using the right holes for your desired layout.

Don't forget to pick up a plate, case, and maybe some foam while you're at it, too!

Here's my DZ60 with a Tofu frosted acrylic case and brass plate. I actually got it secondhand with Holtites soldered in, but I had to move a few to fit my desired layout (and also fixed a couple positioning mistakes the previous owner had made)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

pulled the trigger on the dz60, an alopow resin case, and some 9009 caps. got the plate, foam and stabs too.....and hako violet switches...and a diy cable kit from zoom. good thing my tax return came literally today

e: god damnit. literally forgot JUST THE FOAM. so look like i'll have to pay $20$ extra in shipping for that

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 12, 2021