Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ijyt posted:

For that price you'd probably be better off getting the Monokei Standard.

It’s amazing how outdated some stuff is. Looks at my race 3 and shakes my head. Even just the Tiger 80 (and lite) and everything cheapish in the 65 space in the last sixth months is crazy.

It does have me thinking though, a lot of the enthusiasts seem to be justifying higher and higher prices and calling everything else entry boards… when just a few years ago the quality of those “entry boards” would probably be considered endgame.

Also drat, just saw GMK bento was in stock and I really wish I was okay with clones and said clones were in XDA profile. What a great set. But $160? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ayy congrats! P3D owner is really good people as is the designer, Rain. Are you going to get it cerakoted?

Obligatory link to the 40% discord: https://discord.gg/40percent
and Rainkeebs discord: https://discord.gg/HTUM498QXR
You're always welcome to ask me questions as well.

Consider using layer tap on the split space layout.

I am definitely getting it cerakoted - there's too many good colors! Love the Light Sand, Sumo, and Haiku.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gay Retard posted:

I am definitely getting it cerakoted - there's too many good colors! Love the Light Sand, Sumo, and Haiku.

It took me the entirety of the group buy plus a few hours to decide what cerakote colors to get for Pegasus and I still haven't decided. Luckily P3D hasn't sent the email asking for which colors yet because the boards aren't even machined.
https://p3dstore.com/products/pegasus-aluminum-case-and-pcb-group-buy?_pos=4&_sid=c476b18fe&_ss=r

I highly recommend the Light Sand if it's offered and you like beige. It's a very difficult color to get right, but I have faith in them.
It looks so good.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I haven't had a mechanical board before and I recently received a Keychron Q3 as a gift. I've been enjoying it, but I have two questions I hope the thread might help with.

First is regarding keycaps. I've been trying to find caps in a blue/white/orange colour scheme. Kind of like Bento, but with sharper colours. Almost everything out there seems to be creams and pastels, which I'm not really into for this application. Any suggestions?

Secondly, every so often my spacebar sticks slightly. It only seems to happen if I'm rapidly tapping or feathering the key, like while playing certain first person games. When it happens, lifting my finger and tapping again seems to unstick it. Any suggested fixes I can attempt? It's in the realm of mildly annoying, but I can live with it for now.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Lemony posted:

First is regarding keycaps. I've been trying to find caps in a blue/white/orange colour scheme. Kind of like Bento, but with sharper colours. Almost everything out there seems to be creams and pastels, which I'm not really into for this application. Any suggestions?

Secondly, every so often my spacebar sticks slightly. It only seems to happen if I'm rapidly tapping or feathering the key, like while playing certain first person games. When it happens, lifting my finger and tapping again seems to unstick it. Any suggested fixes I can attempt? It's in the realm of mildly annoying, but I can live with it for now.

1. I really wish I could help with keycaps but when I looked at where I usually get mine I noticed that they do pretty much only come in pastel colors, WoB/BoW or darker hues. I personally don't like them, but some places like https://altcustoms.com/products/keycaps-builder?shpxid=212992d9-1373-44c9-8d3d-a9afb20ff1ac let you design your own keycaps set. I obviously don't have experience with all of them, but from what I've personally seen they usually are of lower quality (ABS plastic, blurry legend, visible snap-off bits, etc.). If you don't mind a high likelihood of buying clones, there's a ton of sets on AliExpress, some even from semi-reputable vendors!

2. That sounds like a stabilizer issue. Not sure about the Q-series specifically, but Keychron's are usually pre-lubed, still it would be worth taking a look if anything is getting stuck on anything in there and maybe re-lubing it. There's a nice tutorial on Switch and Click; only follow the lubing part though as the other stabilizer mods would make your stabilizers tighter.

Ninja edit: They also have a guide on lubing stabilizers without taking them apart if that's more your jam: https://switchandclick.com/how-to-lube-stabilizers-without-desoldering-in-5-easy-steps/

That's probably not your problem, but in the past I've also had bigger keys act like that when using heavier keycaps on a lighter spring, so maybe using just one heavier switch for your spacebar (or changing the spring inside the switch) could help. Definitely look at the stabilizer first though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Lemony posted:

I haven't had a mechanical board before and I recently received a Keychron Q3 as a gift. I've been enjoying it, but I have two questions I hope the thread might help with.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804205846837.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3ac338daU9arVl&mp=1

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

CordlessPen posted:

1. I really wish I could help with keycaps but when I looked at where I usually get mine I noticed that they do pretty much only come in pastel colors, WoB/BoW or darker hues. I personally don't like them, but some places like https://altcustoms.com/products/keycaps-builder?shpxid=212992d9-1373-44c9-8d3d-a9afb20ff1ac let you design your own keycaps set. I obviously don't have experience with all of them, but from what I've personally seen they usually are of lower quality (ABS plastic, blurry legend, visible snap-off bits, etc.). If you don't mind a high likelihood of buying clones, there's a ton of sets on AliExpress, some even from semi-reputable vendors!

2. That sounds like a stabilizer issue. Not sure about the Q-series specifically, but Keychron's are usually pre-lubed, still it would be worth taking a look if anything is getting stuck on anything in there and maybe re-lubing it. There's a nice tutorial on Switch and Click; only follow the lubing part though as the other stabilizer mods would make your stabilizers tighter.

Ninja edit: They also have a guide on lubing stabilizers without taking them apart if that's more your jam: https://switchandclick.com/how-to-lube-stabilizers-without-desoldering-in-5-easy-steps/

That's probably not your problem, but in the past I've also had bigger keys act like that when using heavier keycaps on a lighter spring, so maybe using just one heavier switch for your spacebar (or changing the spring inside the switch) could help. Definitely look at the stabilizer first though.

From that info, it definitely sounds like it could be the stabilisers. I'll take a crack at it when I get a chance.

Huh, those are actually pretty close to what I had in mind. If I was going to go through AliExpress, people have any advice on what to look for/avoid in order to not get ripped off? I haven't actually ordered anything through then before.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I picked up a Keychron Q1 on sale and threw on some Akko switches and keycaps. I've only had prebuilts and had barely used a keycap puller before so I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Keychron Q1 (original version?) with prelubed Akko Lavender Purple switches and Akko Dracula Castle keycaps. The keycap colours are actually shades of light and dark grey, sort of faded white and black. I was going for an old terminal vibe.

I am happy with how it looks, am still trying out how it feels. I like typing on this thing more than Cherry Reds or Browns but I'm still getting used to it. It's partly because I've gone to a 75% tactile from a fullsize Cherry Red Ducky, but it's also because this keyboard is a fair bit taller than I'm used to and I may have thrown my desk ergonomics out of whack.

I'm not sure I'm sold on modding keyboards yet but I am really impressed with QMK. I'm still playing around with Vial but the ability to map any key to any code, no exceptions, with multiple layers and options to access them - it opens up so much.

Lemony posted:

It's a different combo of blue/white/red and symbols but colourwise that looks a bit like Ducky's Bon Voyage which should work on an a tenkeyless format and may be easier to find at stores. I don't have those but my Ducky's PBT OEM keycaps have weathered extremely well for eight years.

I also had a sticky enter key when putting the caps on my Q1 and it turned out the problem was just it wasn't properly on one of the stabilisers - I could see when looking closely the key was slightly uneven. All I had to do to fix it was push it down a little harder over the offending stabiliser and now it's golden.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 15, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm not really into the whole custom scene but I like this guy's videos. This one was extra funny because in his keyboard building contest versus his wife, she didn't want to be on camera and wore a cat mask the whole time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hI3xte9mNc

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

He's the best keyboard youtuber imo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

smooth jazz posted:

He's the best keyboard youtuber imo.

My fav is Glarses

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

mewse posted:

My fav is Glarses

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Keychron just dropped the 40% Q9:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q9-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40139357749337

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

I don't hate the look of it but I would like to see a keyboard that has all the keys on it that are in one long line rather than stacked.

Speaking of stacked, are there any mechanical keyboards that are set up like a typewriter's keys? As in stepped up?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I don't hate the look of it but I would like to see a keyboard that has all the keys on it that are in one long line rather than stacked.

Speaking of stacked, are there any mechanical keyboards that are set up like a typewriter's keys? As in stepped up?

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/pop-keys-wireless-mechanical.920-010708.html

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I can't think of any that come close to the (relatively) extreme stepping of an actual typewriter. I imagine for a keyboard, you'd need a skinny PCB for each row or something, and a very special case to hold it all together.

The closest that exists now (or wouldn't cost literal thousands of dollars in designing and prototyping to create) that I can think of would be getting a sculpted keycap profile, like SA or MT3. Even then, it doesn't really come close to the actual stepping you're talking about, I don't think.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I played with one of these at Best Buy and it's fun. I could see typing on it if I was writing, it's got that typewriter experience. But for programming or gaming it's too weird.

I've been debating getting a Keychron K2 for my web dev work since I hate the keyboard on my work laptop. Does anyone know how fast Keychron ships? Amazon can have it to me in a day, but I'd like to make sure I get a real v2 one and there's multiple confusing listings on Amazon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not sure if Canada only but MemoryExpress has Ducky One2mini's for $50 off - $99 plus taxes. Just picked up a white one with box jades.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Promos/Brands/ducky/DuckyXGloriousBTS2022.cm.aspx

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LifeLynx posted:

I played with one of these at Best Buy and it's fun. I could see typing on it if I was writing, it's got that typewriter experience. But for programming or gaming it's too weird.

I've been debating getting a Keychron K2 for my web dev work since I hate the keyboard on my work laptop. Does anyone know how fast Keychron ships? Amazon can have it to me in a day, but I'd like to make sure I get a real v2 one and there's multiple confusing listings on Amazon.

If you order from Keychron and the board turns out to be in any way defective, you're hosed. You really should order a Keychron board through Amazon--then at least you can return it if you need to.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you order from Keychron and the board turns out to be in any way defective, you're hosed. You really should order a Keychron board through Amazon--then at least you can return it if you need to.

They also now have boards from the Q series available through Prime (1-4, no Q5s and up yet) if you don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to get shipped from China

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm looking to replace an old Saitek Gaming keyboard I've used for probably two decades now. I don't care about RBG lights and I'm only really interested in a wired 100% keyboard, and my preferred aesthetic is silver/black or gray/black.

The Ducky One 2 Skyline from the OP looks good but since the OP is a few years old is there any reason to get something newer? The Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal looks nicer aesthetically the extra $70 is a hard sell when I probably don't care about any of the other differences. Is there anything else I should consider?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

pik_d posted:

I'm looking to replace an old Saitek Gaming keyboard I've used for probably two decades now. I don't care about RBG lights and I'm only really interested in a wired 100% keyboard, and my preferred aesthetic is silver/black or gray/black.

The Ducky One 2 Skyline from the OP looks good but since the OP is a few years old is there any reason to get something newer? The Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal looks nicer aesthetically the extra $70 is a hard sell when I probably don't care about any of the other differences. Is there anything else I should consider?

Ducky is still a good brand. You can also look into Keychron but ONLY buy them through Amazon (or some other vendor that has good return policies) and never direct from them.

Other option is GMMK, horrible brand but nice features for a good price.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

What do you mean by GMMK is a horrible brand? Why would I want to buy from a horrible brand?

mewse
May 2, 2006

pik_d posted:

What do you mean by GMMK is a horrible brand? Why would I want to buy from a horrible brand?

Horrible *branding*

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What is this mouse:

Seen in this pic on Keychron's site:
https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k2-hot-swappable-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ah, yeah that doesn't matter much. I do think I prefer the looks of the Ducky's though. I just wish the One 3 came in better colors to satisfy my urge to only buy the newest thing.

Is there any way to know when more colors are coming out from Ducky?

And I should have asked this before, is there anywhere/anyway to test out a variety of switches to see what feels best before I buy? Based on the descriptions I think regular Cherry Reds would be best but it would be nice to try before buying.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

pik_d posted:

The Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal looks nicer aesthetically the extra $70 is a hard sell when I probably don't care about any of the other differences. Is there anything else I should consider?

The Shine 7 Gunmetal has a zinc top case instead of plastic - it's fairly hefty, if you like that kind of thing. (Also, all the newer Ducky boards have full-spectrum RGB lights but you can set them to be off, or just a faint white or something, whatever suits your preference.)

pik_d posted:

And I should have asked this before, is there anywhere/anyway to test out a variety of switches to see what feels best before I buy? Based on the descriptions I think regular Cherry Reds would be best but it would be nice to try before buying.

You can get little Cherry switch testers that'll cover all the options you'd see on Ducky boards - something like https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6861 should do.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

pik_d posted:

They used to be a company 'for the people' with decent quality stuff at pretty good prices. Recently they've started charging an obscene amount for things with tons of up-sell opportunities, and have even started group buys for new products in lines that have already been established. Just in the past few months there have been group buys for new switches, a new line of keycaps, a new version of an existing mouse, and there's upcoming group buys for different plates for the GMMK Pro.

Their new wireless macro/numpad with a slider and a knob doesn't match the tooling on the GMMK Pro (which you'd assume it would since that's what buyers will mostly pair it with), can't be bought as a barbones kit to add your own switches and keycaps (you can still swap out everything after the fact, but then you have extra stuff that you spent money on), and costs $150 USD without any extra customization.

I've been using a GMMK Pro since they released about a year ago and its a decent keyboard if a little more expensive than other offerings, but I'm not sure how much longer they can keep pushing it and seemingly get away with it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

mewse posted:

Horrible *branding*

That’s indeed what I meant. The glorious master race thing

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They did at least drop all the master race / gaming race stuff, it's just Glorious™ now, and the GMMK Pro was always just branded with GLORIOUS on the bottom

they still suck as a company though

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
They’re vaguely similar but I much prefer my Keychron (Q6) to the GMMK Pro, ignoring numpad vs no numpad. Build quality is comparable but slightly better with the Keychron, the gaskets in the Pro especially are pretty poor. The Pro is a bigger pain in the rear end to dis/reassemble; getting in and out of the Keychron is relatively painless (aside from the daughter board which is awkwardly placed and blocks the PCB). The Pro is also the stiffest board I’ve ever used, not for nothing, and I did everything I could to lessen the effect of it, including sawing tabs into the PC plate

I swapped out Keychron’s included caps and switches but if it’s your first mechanical it’s hard to go wrong with it at the price point. The branding on the Pro is pretty obnoxious as discussed above

The only point I’d give the Pro is the knob which is pretty nice. I chose not to go with a knob on the Keychron because I don’t care for the look of theirs (just fudged into a key slot in the top plate, from what I can tell)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Got my first proper MK today and drat, what a difference. But wow, didn't expect the box jades to be THIS loud. :lol: But it's fine and I love it. I got navy blue keycaps as extras with mine and a year of the ox spacebar from 2021. I will finally use my epbt aesthetic deskmat that came in early and hopefully by.... 2023 have the keycaps to match.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2022

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

pik_d posted:

Royal Kludge is another budget Keychron alternative to consider. I think the Ducky 3s are hot swapable so you can change the switches out if you don't like them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mariooncrack posted:

Royal Kludge is another budget Keychron alternative to consider. I think the Ducky 3s are hot swapable so you can change the switches out if you don't like them.

Yeah if there was a One 3 that was at the $120 price point that was black or silver/black I'd have bought it already I think. There's a black one that's $160 because it has RBG (that I do not care about) that I'm on the fence about. I'm guessing Ducky will continue to bring out more versions in the future?

Also, with it being hot swappable, if I get Reds but then decide I'd rather Browns, how/where do I buy the set of Browns?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

pik_d posted:

Yeah if there was a One 3 that was at the $120 price point that was black or silver/black I'd have bought it already I think. There's a black one that's $160 because it has RBG (that I do not care about) that I'm on the fence about. I'm guessing Ducky will continue to bring out more versions in the future?

Also, with it being hot swappable, if I get Reds but then decide I'd rather Browns, how/where do I buy the set of Browns?

There's a lot of sites that sell switches. Here's some that I like:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com//shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=107
https://novelkeys.com/
https://upgradekeyboards.com/

I think they're available on Amazon as well. My local micro center sells some switches now too. You can save money by buying Gateron or Kailh switches too. It can get overwhelming when you're looking for switches with so many options. I'd get a switch tester to narrow down what you like.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah I've got one of the switch testers ordered so I can test them out first. Won't be making a decision before I get them, but pressing one key is different from typing so having the hot swapping option would be cool.

Looks like if I replaced a full size keyboard's worth of switches its about $45-50, so I'd rather get it right the first time, or just replace some keys which seems a bit half-assed.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Vintersorg posted:

Got my first proper MK today and drat, what a difference. But wow, didn't expect the box jades to be THIS loud. :lol: But it's fine and I love it. I got navy blue keycaps as extras with mine and a year of the ox spacebar from 2021. I will finally use my epbt aesthetic deskmat that came in early and hopefully by.... 2023 have the keycaps to match.

Box Jades are the loudest motherfuckers, I love them.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

pik_d posted:

Yeah I've got one of the switch testers ordered so I can test them out first. Won't be making a decision before I get them, but pressing one key is different from typing so having the hot swapping option would be cool.

Looks like if I replaced a full size keyboard's worth of switches its about $45-50, so I'd rather get it right the first time, or just replace some keys which seems a bit half-assed.

If you're mostly considering just the basic red/brown/blue Cherries, another thing you can do is visit the PC gaming section of Best Buy if you have one local. They usually have a few mechanical gaming keyboards out to try, which typically use one of those three Cherry switches or a very similar clone. That way you can at least type on a full keyboard for a bit, instead of just a single switch in a tester.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

death cob for cutie posted:

Box Jades are the loudest motherfuckers, I love them.

They're like typing with a tiny, beautiful machine gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Google lens says:
LOFREE x Glory made MAUS Bluetooth mouse EH115 2.4G wireless mice
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294484633734

https://www.newegg.com/p/0TP-01TJ-00013