Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
This isn't connected to any current conversation, but I'd like to thank the people who made PowerToys for Windows. I'm currently using a keyboard that doesn't have any QMK/VIA capability, and was sorely missing my previous shortcuts I programmed into my previous keyboard until I managed to configure them back with PowerToys' Keyboard Manager. Just so convenient, I love it.

If you're curious what my shortcuts were, it's essentially assigning Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down to the arrow keys when a modifier is pressed. Technically not the same as a keyboard layer, but works just the same. It's quite nice. :)

edit: aagh, page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My Cherry MX Greys arrived today. The actuation is pretty nice, but the ringing after the switch resets is unbearable. I may try lube, but I donít know if that will help. Is lube the fix for obnoxious switch ringing?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Dirac Fourier posted:

My Cherry MX Greys arrived today. The actuation is pretty nice, but the ringing after the switch resets is unbearable. I may try lube, but I donít know if that will help. Is lube the fix for obnoxious switch ringing?

Thatís the classic Cherry spring ping. You can lube the springs to help mitigate the noise but the better option would be to replace them with an equivalent weighted springs from a better manufacturer.

I can tell you as a Cherry Brown user, lubing only works for so long before the pinging sound comes back.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Sacred Cow posted:

Thatís the classic Cherry spring ping. You can lube the springs to help mitigate the noise but the better option would be to replace them with an equivalent weighted springs from a better manufacturer.

I can tell you as a Cherry Brown user, lubing only works for so long before the pinging sound comes back.

Well now that you mention it, my first mechanical keyboard had Cherry blue switches, and it had a more subtle ping that I still found annoying. I thought it was the keyboard case though, so it never occurred to me that this is a Cherry-specific problem. Thanks for the info!

I think I will just move on from these Cherry Grey switches and not bother with lubing them or replacing springs. I doubt I can return them since they shipped from Europe (I'm in the US), and I actually bent the pins on several of them during installation. They're not destroyed, but it would probably piss off the next person that gets them. So I will probably get some cheap Akko Jelly Blue switches which I already use on a different keyboard, and I like well enough.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Gearman posted:

There are a lot of cheaper and smoother switches out nowadays from a ton of manufacturers. Cherry has mostly fallen by the wayside the hobbyist part of the market, where a ton of new manufacturers have popped up offering cheaper, better, and more unique materials. MX Blacks are still very popular in the enthusiast part of the hobby, but mostly those that are "vintage", and newer ones that have been heavily broken-in.

I have a question regarding "broken-in" switches. Does this imply that switches actuation force goes down over time?

Could my old MX reds just be too light for my hands now because they are... poo poo, where's that email... Eleven years old now?

(also, I could have *sworn* that MX Reds had a 30g actuation force... but apparently they're 45g? Which is exactly the same actuation force as browns, but?!)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 4, 2023

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a question regarding "broken-in" switches. Does this imply that switches actuation force goes down over time?

Could my old MX reds just be too light for my hands now because they are... poo poo, where's that email... Eleven years old now?

(also, I could have *sworn* that MX Reds had a 30g actuation force... but apparently they're 45g? Which is exactly the same actuation force as browns, but?!)

Broken-in switches are just switches that have been pressed thousands of times either by hand through daily use, or with break-in machines. It doesn't change the actuation force much at all, and only serves to smooth out the plastic stem and rail that make contact with each other when the switch is pressed. Most switches coming out now don't really need it because the molds are really good. Cherry linear, and brown, switches tend to be pretty scratchy out-of-the-box and are the most common switches that get break-in treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
I lost my trusted Gamer keyboard of 20+ years two weeks ago to a dog-related mishap. I thought, "Hey, no big deal, I just got a bonus at work and I was long overdue for a replacement, I bet the tech goons will have some good higher-end suggestions" so I lurked for a few pages and decided to get the 8bitdo Famicom keyboard since I've always loved the look of that console and it seemed well-regarded, especially at the price point. Plus it comes with giant joke buttons.

It arrived last Thursday and won me over immediately with how it looks, feels, and sounds. It's three days later and I'm browsing WASD at work failing to convince myself that I don't need to drop $200 on a second keyboard. Last night I fully frowned at my Steam library because I didn't have enough keyboard-based games installed. A switch tester is already in the mail.

What did you do to me.