Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Framboise posted:

My daily driver for the past couple years has been the original Mode65 and I do love it, but it kills me a bit inside that they've fixed pretty much every issue I have with it in this version and I don't have the heart to buy another god drat keyboard lol :smith:

... Anyway, my Meletrix Zoom98 arrived a week ago and I still need to get some switches. I mentioned a while back that I wanted a deep knocky sound and someone suggested nylon switches for that. What are some good ones to look for? Generally prefer tactiles but I'm sound chasing here so I'll learn to tolerate mushy linears if I need to.

Where'd you order your Zoom98 from? I'm still waiting for mine to ship from Dangkeebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Where'd you order your Zoom98 from? I'm still waiting for mine to ship from Dangkeebs.

Dangkeebs. Maybe they're going out in batches or something. I got mine last Friday.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

My daily driver for the past couple years has been the original Mode65 and I do love it, but it kills me a bit inside that they've fixed pretty much every issue I have with it in this version and I don't have the heart to buy another god drat keyboard lol :smith:

... Anyway, my Meletrix Zoom98 arrived a week ago and I still need to get some switches. I mentioned a while back that I wanted a deep knocky sound and someone suggested nylon switches for that. What are some good ones to look for? Generally prefer tactiles but I'm sound chasing here so I'll learn to tolerate mushy linears if I need to.

Also fwiw I'm just lookin for a deep knocky sound in general. I'll go for anything that best facilitates that.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Framboise posted:

Also fwiw I'm just lookin for a deep knocky sound in general. I'll go for anything that best facilitates that.

Highly recommend Boba U4Ts, especially if you want something tactile.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Boba U4Ts have been my go-to for ages now. I use them in my Mode65. I didn't figure they'd have that particular sound because this board has a bit more of a snappy sound to it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they're just called gazzew u4ts now, the boba u4t was phased out since the original boba plastic turned out to have yellowing issues

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Saukkis posted:

Amazing words

Hey I just wanted to say that I initially missed this post but you were so cool and took time out of your day to respond to me in depth like that is enormously useful. I've read it now and learned a ton and have so much to think about. Thank you!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Took me almost 6 hours total to build this stupid loving Zoom98, dear god. So many fiddly bits and pieces, and I'm still not done. I can't get VIA or QMK to recognize the JSON file so I can actually modify keys, and the supposed hotkey for NKRO/6KRO isn't working either so I can't toggle NKRO on either.

Also also, since my computer doesn't recognize it, the whole drat board just doesn't seem to work without the USB dongle that also comes with the board, even though I'll be using it wired pretty much all the time since this board is heavy.

Also also also, guess who waited almost 2 years for GMK Daifuku and forgot to buy numpad keys. Thankfully they were still in stock so I should have them in a week.

This is a dumb hobby lmao :smith:

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Framboise posted:

Took me almost 6 hours total to build this stupid loving Zoom98, dear god. So many fiddly bits and pieces, and I'm still not done. I can't get VIA or QMK to recognize the JSON file so I can actually modify keys, and the supposed hotkey for NKRO/6KRO isn't working either so I can't toggle NKRO on either.

Also also, since my computer doesn't recognize it, the whole drat board just doesn't seem to work without the USB dongle that also comes with the board, even though I'll be using it wired pretty much all the time since this board is heavy.

Also also also, guess who waited almost 2 years for GMK Daifuku and forgot to buy numpad keys. Thankfully they were still in stock so I should have them in a week.

I got zoompad kit since I wanted a macropad to replace my keyboard for art workflow.
Took me a while and I assembled it wrong the first time but man, for almost 300 eur device it's wasted money. Sure it has huge milled pieces (which isn't this expensive) but it's battery is absolutely tiny, chips are cheap so it eats through the battery even on standby. Might as well be a wired device at this point.

It does feel very good to use tho.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I got me the unicomp model m so I can go SMACK SMACK SMACK as I'm typing, but as I left for work this morning I lamented two things:

1) I would not be able to use it at work, because I don't work from home (wtf??)
2) Oh god what happens if a cat throws up on it.

They've thrown up on keyboards before, but those have been cheap rear end logitechs I don't care about. This thing is a beaut and I extremely don't want cat puke on it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

I got me the unicomp model m so I can go SMACK SMACK SMACK as I'm typing, but as I left for work this morning I lamented two things:

1) I would not be able to use it at work, because I don't work from home (wtf??)

Yeah I feel kinda silly buying a fancy keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc just to go to work and use the cheapest components HP ever produced for 9 hours a day. I still type faster on that piece of poo poo keyboard due to muscle memory.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

you can get like, keyboard covers for when you're not using it

you, of course, have to remember to throw it back over the keyboard when you're done

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I use an 89-vintage Model M as my primary keyboard, but I also have a Logitech MX Mechanical that I use for various wireless purposes, but also use on calls when the Model M is too loud.

Otherwise I don't see an actual problem using a Model M at work. They had offices full of them. You can productivity shame people with its loudness.

It's a good excuse to disassemble the whole thing and clean. Cat puke isn't actually going to harm it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Oh I mean I don't really have a problem using it at work on principle, but transporting it between the two locations would be rear end. I should hopefully be out of this job very soon though!

Keyboard covers sound like a good idea I wish I was smart enough to have thought of already. I'll see what I can find! Something cloth / washable would be neat.

I extremely do not enjoy cleaning cat puke off of electronics / the floor / anything. Prevention's better than the cure.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

They've thrown up on keyboards before, but those have been cheap rear end logitechs I don't care about. This thing is a beaut and I extremely don't want cat puke on it.

If you don't want to disassemble/reassemble it yourself, you pay Unicomp about $50+shipping to ship it to them, they do it, and send it back to you.

And yes a keyboard cover is a good idea anyway, just to help keep dust out of it when it's not in use.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've seen covers for keyboards on etsy in the past. Just basic clear acrylic, but they came in all sorts of sizes/percentages.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you don't want to disassemble/reassemble it yourself, you pay Unicomp about $50+shipping to ship it to them, they do it, and send it back to you.

And yes a keyboard cover is a good idea anyway, just to help keep dust out of it when it's not in use.

The cross border shipping every time a cat pukes on the keyboard will bankrupt me lmao.

Their purpose made cover doesn't seem too bad, at least if I have to go for long periods of not using it. I wanted an excuse to pad out a cart and get the tux keys anyway.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

wash bucket posted:

Yeah I feel kinda silly buying a fancy keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc just to go to work and use the cheapest components HP ever produced for 9 hours a day. I still type faster on that piece of poo poo keyboard due to muscle memory.

This is when you go to HR and say you need this nice gear for ergonomic/work health reasons.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Oh I mean I don't really have a problem using it at work on principle, but transporting it between the two locations would be rear end. I should hopefully be out of this job very soon though!

Keyboard covers sound like a good idea I wish I was smart enough to have thought of already. I'll see what I can find! Something cloth / washable would be neat.

I extremely do not enjoy cleaning cat puke off of electronics / the floor / anything. Prevention's better than the cure.

Might also want to consider swapping to sensitive stomach food for your cat. Had to do that for the dry food for my cat and it's helped quite a bit.

For cloths, Cannonkeys sells a nice microfiber that is designed to wrap around most keyboards, so it should be big enough for your needs: https://cannonkeys.com/products/white-microfiber-cloth?_pos=1&_psq=Cloth&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gearman posted:

Might also want to consider swapping to sensitive stomach food for your cat. Had to do that for the dry food for my cat and it's helped quite a bit.

For cloths, Cannonkeys sells a nice microfiber that is designed to wrap around most keyboards, so it should be big enough for your needs: https://cannonkeys.com/products/white-microfiber-cloth?_pos=1&_psq=Cloth&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Doesn't ship to me but it's not like they're the only people with a 400x600 microfibre mat, surely, so gives me some extra keywords. Thanks!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wait, am I missing something? 600mm x 400mm is like a wiping cloth, isn't it?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wait, am I missing something? 600mm x 400mm is like a wiping cloth, isn't it?

It's just a microfiber cloth, yeah. I put one on top of my board at the end of the day. Helps keep the dust off and use it to wipe the board down without worrying about scratching or damaging.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Exactly how tiny a keyboard are you maniacs using that a 6x4 centimeter cloth covers it

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
60x40 centimeter cloth. It’s a big rear end cloth.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Exactly how tiny a keyboard are you maniacs using that a 6x4 centimeter cloth covers it

Extremely glad I am not the only one who just cannot visualise written measurements.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Smithwick posted:

60x40 centimeter cloth. It’s a big rear end cloth.

Let me tell you how good I am at math

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let me tell you how good I am at math

You gave what SEEMED to be some pretty good advice in the negotiation thread but now I am beginning to doubt it

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

lmao the model M really is comically loud. My partner and I are usually in the same room at all times and as I was typing a post she asked if I was really typing or doing a bit.

I felt a little guilty and offered to explore options of reselling it or just sending it back to Unicomp - she implored me not to and also said "I also happen to have brand new noise-cancelling headphones so I can always just put those on if I don't get used to it"

Jeez hon, I am not going to expect you to wear noise-cancelling headphones every time I want to go on a rampant posting spree.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lmao the model M really is comically loud. My partner and I are usually in the same room at all times and as I was typing a post she asked if I was really typing or doing a bit.

I felt a little guilty and offered to explore options of reselling it or just sending it back to Unicomp - she implored me not to and also said "I also happen to have brand new noise-cancelling headphones so I can always just put those on if I don't get used to it"

Jeez hon, I am not going to expect you to wear noise-cancelling headphones every time I want to go on a rampant posting spree.

I don't remember the source of this quote but regarding the Model M sound:
"That's the sound of getting poo poo done."

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I don't remember the source of this quote but regarding the Model M sound:
"That's the sound of getting poo poo done."

hell yea

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

I have been meaning to make a faux leather cloth for wrapping around the keyboard, that you lay your keyboard on and when you are done for the day you just pull the extra length and drape it over your keyboard.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I'd buy one from you

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just picked up a Keychron C2 (retro color) after my 14-year old Arctosa finally started experiencing rollover issues.

I have owned this keyboard for less than an hour and I am already a mechanical convert. It's like I'm a kid in the 90s again :sun:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Love my Air60 but I think it's time for a function row and full size keys again. I see Nuphy have started preorders for their Halo75, which looks great, and I've been really happy with the balance of price and quality before with them.

But does anyone have any experience with their new switches? The listed types are some Gatereon collab, including Mint, Banana, and some other type of flavour probably.

I'm using the compact/flat version of Gatereon browns on this Air60 and I'm pretty happy with them if that helps contextualise what I'm looking for.

edit: wait, the switch types are 'mint' 'raspberry', 'lemon'.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 3, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it worth it to get a zoom pad? They seem kind of handy, but what is the quality like?

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is it worth it to get a zoom pad? They seem kind of handy, but what is the quality like?

haddedam posted:

I got zoompad kit since I wanted a macropad to replace my keyboard for art workflow.
Took me a while and I assembled it wrong the first time but man, for almost 300 eur device it's wasted money. Sure it has huge milled pieces (which isn't this expensive) but it's battery is absolutely tiny, chips are cheap so it eats through the battery even on standby. Might as well be a wired device at this point.

fwiw i have a keychron q0 plus and it's awesome, haven't had any issues with it. definitely looks higher quality than anything other than the zoompad. i use it left handed with a 2nd layer for visual studio shortcuts.

a few weeks ago they released a wireless version too!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

But does anyone have any experience with their new switches? The listed types are some Gatereon collab, including Mint, Banana, and some other type of flavour probably.

I'm using the compact/flat version of Gatereon browns on this Air60 and I'm pretty happy with them if that helps contextualise what I'm looking for.

edit: wait, the switch types are 'mint' 'raspberry', 'lemon'.
The Halo75 page has force curves, lemon is the tactile one if you want that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

Still having trouble with this. I'm at a loss at this point. Can't program the LCD screen on this thing since I don't understand why VIA/QMK won't work with this, nor can I set up media hotkeys (or any for that matter), and whenever I try to set up NKRO, it says to hold Space+N and plug in the USB, but all that happens is that it locks my input to nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnand I can't stop it

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Framboise posted:

Still having trouble with this. I'm at a loss at this point. Can't program the LCD screen on this thing since I don't understand why VIA/QMK won't work with this, nor can I set up media hotkeys (or any for that matter), and whenever I try to set up NKRO, it says to hold Space+N and plug in the USB, but all that happens is that it locks my input to nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnand I can't stop it

Reach out to DangKeebs support? There might be something wrong with the PCB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

How annoying is the lack of dedicated arrow keys on a 60% keyboard?