Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Clears are exhausting to type on, but I think the pushback is better than slamming hard plastic when you are gaming. Browns are way underrated. My guess is because the actual color is boring and they were one of the first widely available switches. They are great to type on. I bet if they were released after clears and were orange, people would eat them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I got the adapter for the AEK finally. Orange Alps is the one true switch :colbert:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I almost bought a board with blacks but i pussied out at the last second thinking about my precious finger joints.

It may be more rough on the joints, but I've found that it's helped ease the RSI problems I was having a few months ago. I was using reds (and still am, temporarily at home), and got blacks to use at work, and it made a huge difference in how my hands and wrists feel.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The spring stiffness is why ergo clears are a thing tho. Seems weird to me that large bump + soft spring are limited to ergo clears (expensive, pain in the rear end to replace the springs) or zealios (expensive)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

teethgrinder posted:

I love Clears/Greens, etc ... and frankly I type faster with them than Browns ... don't bottom out constantly.

But I hated the mushy feel that Blacks gave me. I really need that activation point. Gaming with Greens was fine too.

I really want to try greens. I have 2 codes w/ clears and I bottom out all the time. I've always been a heavy typist. Probably due to the fact that I was taught how to type on a typewriter and the first 10 years of using computers, I used Model M's.

I did buy some stiffer springs, but I had read that when Cherry switches are plate mounted, you have to de-solder them in order to change the springs. That sounds tedious, plus I'm not very confident in my soldering skills. Don't want to kill an otherwise great keyboard trying to improve it a bit.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

TheFluff posted:

I got the adapter for the AEK finally. Orange Alps is the one true switch :colbert:

Which adapter are you using? I got one from Drakware for my AEK and my capslock and numlock buttons don't work. I'm not sure if it's the adapter or the keyboard.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Stabbing Spork posted:

Which adapter are you using? I got one from Drakware for my AEK and my capslock and numlock buttons don't work. I'm not sure if it's the adapter or the keyboard.

The TMK one. Ordered it preassembled from the guy on GeekHack for $40 including shipping because I can't be arsed soldering the simplest things. Everything works perfectly with the exception of the AEK special numpad equals sign, which didn't do anything with the default mapping. I just rebound it to a regular equals sign though and then it worked fine.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Now that I've ordered an artisan in a Massdrop group buy no less, I think I'll continue down this road of dumbassery and get a custom cable to match my keycaps. Who's the go-to these days for those fancy aviator connector cables?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

AgentCow007 posted:

I just bought the Havit 390L and its soooooooo good...

Well that didn't last long. USB kept disconnecting/reconnecting even when it was sitting still and I was away from my desk. Tried replacing the USB cable, no luck. Such a shame because those low-profile Kailh blue switches were just delightful and nobody else uses them in their product. RIP.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I have no experience with Havit products but are you using a USB hub of any kind? Sounds like it's not getting enough power for a backlight animation or something.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
No, it was plugged directly into the back ports of the PC. I'll give it a try on a powered hub

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Hmm, technically the ports directly on your motherboard should supply enough power. I guess you can try with the backlight off and see if the issue disappears, just to confirm.

I had a similar issue with a custom board where it has underglow RGB LEDs and it would disconnect and reconnect during a certain animation since I'm guessing it's not able to draw enough power. My solution was to use a USB cable with thicker gauge wire and it doesn't happen anymore. Consistently reproducible on most USB cables I had on-hand though.

Issue might be similar to yours but it's pretty lovely if you're already using the USB cable the keyboard came with.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Good call... it appears the USB3 port I was plugged into is malfunctioning or not putting out enough power. I tried it on a powered hub and couldn't get it to disconnect, even with exaggerated amounts of cable jostling. I rearranged everything and plugged it into a nearby USB2 port and it's been solid so far. Fingers crossed! I have till March to return it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
USB 3.0 should put out more power, it's probably just the keyboard not playing nicely with USB 3.0. Probably best to save that port for a peripheral that needs it anyway.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah if the motherboard is being used, it’s providing enough power. You should next look into the quality/capacity of the cable. Did it ship with the keyboard? Do other users report the same issue?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Got my panic key!

Several people at worked have asked me about my keyboard now, and one I think is buying one like it. It's spreading!

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah if the motherboard is being used, it’s providing enough power. You should next look into the quality/capacity of the cable. Did it ship with the keyboard? Do other users report the same issue?

The cable is probably junk but the keyboard has a narrow hole around the plug and none of my other cables fit except my 7mm plug one, but that doesn't fit all the way or seat properly. Luckily everything has been working out since I swapped ports. I do think that USB port is faulty, I recall having some issues with a USB3 storage device now that I think of it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Phosphine posted:

Got my panic key!

Several people at worked have asked me about my keyboard now, and one I think is buying one like it. It's spreading!

Looking great! My first keeb was a VA87M, too. Great choice, and I hope others in your office join the bandwagon too

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm 3d printing the case for a dactyl, god help me

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

mewse posted:

I'm 3d printing the case for a dactyl, god help me

Kothar-wa-Khasis bless your endeavours

mewse
May 2, 2006

It begins

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

The NovelKeys guy is teasing a new tactile switch he's designed. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7yjz9k/mikenovelkeys_very_subtlety_teasing_a_new_box/

Estimated price will be $0.50 per switch :homebrew: and if all goes smoothly, sales will begin in April-May. He has indicated it'll be more tactile than Kailh BOX Brown switches, at least.

:getin:

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
What exactly are the differences between Box and not Box Kailh switches? Is it just keycap compatibility or is something else?

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

AgentCow007 posted:

Well that didn't last long. USB kept disconnecting/reconnecting even when it was sitting still and I was away from my desk. Tried replacing the USB cable, no luck. Such a shame because those low-profile Kailh blue switches were just delightful and nobody else uses them in their product. RIP.

I bought the same keyboard and I'm loving it. I'm using it right now, actually. I haven't tested to see if I actually type faster on it, but it really feels like I do just because the key presses are sooooo short, and I'm coming from MX Clears, so they're way lighter than I'm used to. As soon as I started using it I realized that I prefer it for typing, and after owning it for about a month I also prefer it for fps games. I still like the MX Clears, but this keyboard has definitely earned its place on my desk.

The switches are so light and airy feeling while having a solid bottom out that's short and without the squish of o-rings. It's insanely clicky too. I've never owned a blue style switch until now and I love that these click on both the downstroke and upstroke.. It's like a bonus click every time I press a key.

I'd say it's well worth $60 just to check it out, especially if you guys are already into dropping hundreds on keebs. I'm sure some of the more seasoned vets in this game will find some issues with it, but the built quality feels good to me. I'm actually really impressed by it, especially for the price.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Brownie posted:

What exactly are the differences between Box and not Box Kailh switches? Is it just keycap compatibility or is something else?

As far as I know it's just the slider/stem having a box around the outside to attempt to make the key less wiggly when it's depressed. I haven't used mine yet but here's a picture:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Brownie posted:

In addition to what Rexxed said, the non-BOX switches are straight up Cherry MX clones as far as I know. The stem interacts directly with the electrical contacts.

The BOX switches, however, have the electrical components closed off in another compartment inside the switch. A little plastic nub pokes from this compartment into the stem channel, and the stem pushes against this nub when you press the key down. The nub then pushes against the contacts to close the circuit. Also the nub is lubed so the whole action is theoretically smoother than the non-BOX switch (and thus also smoother than Cherry MX switches).

The closed compartment also gives the electrical components some dust and water resistance compared to Cherry MX and clone switches.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
Re: the difference between Kailh Box and Cherry MX (and Kailh Blues)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
My enter key at work felt all wobbly this morning and it turns out the bit in the middle that sits on the switch broke.

mewse
May 2, 2006

/dev/tty is available again

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
poo poo that looks nice. Like I’d buy a new keeb just to slap those on.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd have gotten that if it had Race3-appropriate mods.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Tempting, but they haven't mentioned if they fixed the alignment and printing issues from round 1. Also not sure if there's enough people who didn't get in on Round 1 for it to reach the lower price points. Hmmm, it's up for a month so I guess I'll wait and see.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Brownie posted:

Sorry, I don't know what Box switches are.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

caberham posted:

Sorry, I don't know what Box switches are.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7674ko/introducing_the_new_novelkeys_x_kailh_thick_click/

They're the promised land of clicky switches.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Next week my Godspeed xda set should be shipped by Massdrop. I fully expect it to be delayed for at least another 3 months as seems to be par for the course at MD.

When do they usually mention that drops are delayed, on the original shipping day or is there a chance it’s actully going to ship as planned?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
If you haven't received a delay notice via email by now, it should be OK. Most of the delays have been other things, and not really shipping the thing out. For comparison, I just received a notice for one of the DSA sets and apparently the colours are off so they're expecting a couple of months of delay from the original estimate to fix it. Ugh.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah sort of thing is about par for the course for my long-gestation sets.

What doesn't help the problem (at least as far as the Mito sets are concerned) is MD is in the US, Mito is in Brazil, and the keys are being made in China, which is cool on the one hand but makes for drawn-out correction process where the guy goes this is wrong once he gets the physical test samples, and has to ring up the changes.

If you don't mind waiting, the results are worth it but, yeah, it's a drag.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Is there a reason there aren't more backlight compatible interesting keysets? They are available, but there are so many more that aren't. It seems like they would be popular since so many high end KBs have lights.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

taqueso posted:

Is there a reason there aren't more backlight compatible interesting keysets? They are available, but there are so many more that aren't. It seems like they would be popular since so many high end KBs have lights.

It's actually the opposite. The enthusiast community who would buy these keysets typically have custom keyboards (which are really the ones considered as "high end") where LEDs are optional. Most who bother with LEDs just use it as accent lighting. It's just not a popular aesthetic that the enthusiast community is going for.

The market that shine-through keycaps would appeal to the most (gamers who love RGB on everything) aren't really buying replacement keycaps at all. But admittedly, that can also be a chicken or the egg thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

TWBalls posted:

I really want to try greens.
Kinda subjective but to me green Cherry MX's feel very close to a Model M, (edit) at least as close a Cherry MX can get anyways... I got a several year old CMStorm that has all greens and its quite nice IMO. Very snappy and crisp typing and relatively heavy key presses are the way to go IMO for nearly everyone not just those who learned on a Selectric or a mech. typewriter. They have a very loud click that you might hate though. Every bit as loud as the old Model M's.

I'll note though that I added some rubber o rings to mine to help improve the bottom out feel which felt wobbly. That could be a quirk somehow of this keyboard and not the Cherry MX greens.

Personally I'm kinda interested in trying a beam spring keyboard. I remember those feeling great but its been so long since I last tried one (late 80's??) and they're hard to find, expensive, and difficult to get working with modern systems so its not likely gonna happen.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 25, 2018