Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«61 »
Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Montalvo posted:

I popped in some new keycaps and the typing (like the switches) feels a tiny tiny bit different. Is this just a phsychological effect or did I somehow gently caress up my keyboard like an imbecile?

I snagged a used Razer Blackwidow for my kid (hey, it was 25 bucks). After using it for a few hours, my hands actually started to hurt. Where I can type on my Corsair K70 all day with no issues.

I pulled a cap off each, and the K70's are a touch thicker and taller.

The difference might be so minute that your eyes will play tricks on you, but you can feel the difference immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Cool, thanks! I'm probably going to pick up some PBT caps from Amazon or Mechanical Keyboards soon. Very tempted by this or this.

If you're looking for cheap, thick PBT keycaps, I can recommend YMDK. The sellers are on AliExpress, eBay, and Amazon. Got mine from Amazon for the peace of mind. Shipping to Canada is surprisingly fast considering it's coming all the way from China. I have a Magicforce clone keyboard (68 keys) and I got this keycap set: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YMD...2839583006.html. Only issues were that the 2nd Alt key was not the 'correct' width and there was no Insert key -- they are not the seller's error -- I got them knowing that they'd be issues.

I've been typing on my new keycaps for a while and I've just noticed how little force is needed to depress my MX Brown clones. Not related to keycaps and keyswitch maybe, just a result of my pounding away on laptop keyboards for years with no loud consequences and now that I have a clacky mech keeb I am super conscious of my typing habit. Typing with grace is hard. Kinda like pulling your punches to not hit someone in the face. Really hard to do when typing fast.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

This is kind of hard to explain, but is there some sort of 'break-in' period with new keycaps made of the identical material? Or did I gently caress something up when installing these new caps? Or, are slight differences something to just expect with cheap cap sets from wasd and other places?

I just replaced the default OEM caps on my wasd cherry blue board with another set of default OEM caps with a better cap color pattern and text color. The pattern I originally got with the wasd board came out looking like poo poo with the text on the caps basically unreadable. Thing is, this new set of caps feels a lot more "stiff" compared to the set of caps that came pre-installed on the wasd board. It's kind of hard to explain, but it almost feels like it takes a little more pressure to actuate the keys and the enter key almost feels like it "sticks" if I hit it at an off angle with my pinkie finger. It doesn't always stick, just sometimes. I wouldn't really call it a stick either: more like an unexpected amount of pinkie finger resistance.

And yes the stabilizer inserts and stabilizer bars were all placed correctly and none of the keys are backwards or anything like that.

I've read about lubing caps/switches, but is that really necessary with a board that is basically 2 weeks old?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

"I'm too old for this shitposting."

Koskun posted:

I snagged a used Razer Blackwidow for my kid (hey, it was 25 bucks). After using it for a few hours, my hands actually started to hurt. Where I can type on my Corsair K70 all day with no issues.

I pulled a cap off each, and the K70's are a touch thicker and taller.

The difference might be so minute that your eyes will play tricks on you, but you can feel the difference immediately.

Sometimes I find you haven't pushed them all on equally firmly, might be worth putting a little more pressure on and seeing if it goes on further on some of the higher caps.

Also I'm considering ignoring RGB as it seems a little teeny bopper and getting a Ducky One2 with White backlighting. Is this worth it? Or should I just wait for the Shine 7? Got a Blackwidow V2 with Razer greens and a K95 my wife got me with speeds and still prefer MX Blues for the feel so was thinking of getting a better quality board with them. UK ISO.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Apparently thereís a Massdrop x Oblotsky version of space cadet coming out in August.

Guess Iím gonna get that for the ergodox I donít have yet. Gotta love this hobby.

«61 »