Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«68 »
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Would I need to pull the switch out before I put the alcohol in the switch? Iím assuming yes, but itís just if I donít I can do it tonight rather than waiting until tomorrow. Would I have to pull it out for contact cleaner?

Basically I have a soldering iron and 70% isopropyl (30% water). I donít have contact cleaner or the solder sucker thing you posted upthread. Trying to figure out what I need to get tomorrow or if I can do it tonight. I also donít have a switch disassembly tool so I have to pull the switch off the board before I can take it apart. And since Iím not making a hobby of working with these things I donít want to buy one if I donít have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would I need to pull the switch out before I put the alcohol in the switch? Iím assuming yes, but itís just if I donít I can do it tonight rather than waiting until tomorrow. Would I have to pull it out for contact cleaner?

Basically I have a soldering iron and 70% isopropyl (30% water). I donít have contact cleaner or the solder sucker thing you posted upthread. Trying to figure out what I need to get tomorrow or if I can do it tonight. I also donít have a switch disassembly tool so I have to pull the switch off the board before I can take it apart. And since Iím not making a hobby of working with these things I donít want to buy one if I donít have to.

With enough drying time you could do it with the switch in place, but I'd recommend higher than 70% on it, I'd go for 92% or better (I've been able to get that at a pharmacy without weird looks, but 99% you have to ask for I guess). If you're willing to let it dry longer you could use the stuff with more water. Most of the switch components are gold plated so water shouldn't oxidize them. Anyway you'd be getting a little alcohol in a straw and dripping it into the switch while you tap it to get it in there and loosen whatever's causing it to gum up. This can trap the liquid inside the switch hence the drying time comment. I guess you could also depress the switch with a tool or something to keep it down and somewhat open to let it dry inside a bit better as well.

Personally I'd desolder the switch and take it apart and clean inside just to be sure I did the best could in trying to fix the switch before replacing it, but I can understand that you don't want to waste resources if you don't have to so give the alcohol a shot and see if it helps.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Beta testing a Minidox build with some acrylic plates. Haven't soldered anything because I'm waiting on a polished stainless top plate and kailh pro burgundy switches. I am loving addicted to on-demand laser cutting services, guys... they're so badass I just can't help myself.

Anyways, I really like the layout. The vertical stagger is way nicer to type on than a straight ortholinear like my knockoff Let's Split. I just don't really like the main thumb button. I think it either needs to be a stabilized 2U button, or a 1U that follows the arc of the other 2 thumb buttons... which I can totally make and order myself plate-wise, but for the PCBs I need to learn Eagle or some poo poo and I'm not looking forward to that.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2018 around 07:10

HEY NONG MAN
Feb 4, 2005

I was born down. You know this.

God dammit that looks boss

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

That's easily one of the best things I've seen in this thread.

«68 »