Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«78 »
G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

If you don't care about the 10 key, the Massdrop CTRL drop is ending (tonight, I think) with immediate shipping, and you could just buy Light Grey switches and pop them in easily. Lighting on it works great, and the configuration is easy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

G-Prime posted:

If you don't care about the 10 key, the Massdrop CTRL drop is ending (tonight, I think) with immediate shipping, and you could just buy Light Grey switches and pop them in easily. Lighting on it works great, and the configuration is easy enough.

I suppose I left that information out; I think I'd want the 10-key. I don't use it a TON, but there are times when it's nice.

I hadn't considered going the swappable switch route, so that's interesting (and opens up some possibilities).

A question about that QMK firmware: how does that work with the backlighting? Because it'd be my work keyboard, I probably couldn't install any sort of software on the computer. I know there are some keyboards out there that let you let up the backlight info, then save the customization to the board itself. Is this one of those?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Yeah, it's fully programmed to the board. For example,
code:
led_setup_t leds_laser[] = {
    { .hs = 0, .he = 100, .rs = 255, .re = 255, .gs = 8, .ge = 8, .bs = 157, .be = 157, .ef = EF_NONE },
    { .end = 1 },
};
provides the lighting I have in the below image:

They ship it with the following pre-defined
code:
//Teal <-> Salmon
//Yellow
//Off
//Red
//Green
//Blue
//White
//White with moving red stripe
//Black with moving red stripe
//Rainbow no scrolling
//Rainbow scrolling

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Today I flashed my Tada68 with a proper DFU bootloader and it is so much better than the crappy mass storage one the Tada ships with.

My keyboard just seemed like it was slowly degrading more and more when I would try out new keymaps. First macros stopped working, and then new versions of QMK just wouldn't work with it at all, and then it just essentially bricked and stopped mounting as a mass storage drive when I put it in programming mode. After initial panic I read that it was possible to unbrick the thing by fixing the bootloader using a USBasb programmer and some bread board jumper cables.

I essentially just followed this nerd60 tutorial with some information from this tutorial using this programmer.

It ended up being sooo worth it and I'm actually happy that I bricked the drat thing because it's so much easier to mess with keymaps now. I really love the Tada68 and if I ever get another one I will do this immediately.

SHIT POST MALONE
Feb 4, 2005

I was born down. You know this.

Wait your keyboard mounts as a mass storage drive? Man, 2019 is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Wait your keyboard mounts as a mass storage drive? Man, 2019 is nuts.

Yeah it would appear as a drive and you copy over a FLASH.bin to change the keymap, but it was super buggy. If you unplugged or even ejected it without hitting esc to exit programming mode it could corrupt the bootloader. I would also have to clean the "drive" every time I mounted it because of the extra crap macOS adds to folders when you open them in finder. The new DFU bootloader just uses QMK Toolbox to flash new firmwares and it's faster and safer.

Programmable keyboards are a wonderful rabbit hole.

«78 »