Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Epsilon Plus posted:

Soldering question: I'm getting everything I need together to finally build my M0LLY, and this feels like a dumb/obvious question, but better to ask now before I start working and find it's non-ideal: I'm going to want a relatively thin/narrow conical or chisel tip for my iron, right? Or would thicker be better for more even heat distribution? Should I just get a few and see what works best for me?

I prefer the accuracy of a smaller conical tip, but I also have a very nice soldering station that has no issues with uneven heating or holding temp.
I generally use a 1/16" 30deg conical tip. I also use Kester NoClean .025" leaded solder though.
Unless you are absolutely 100% sure that nobody will ever rebuild this board with new switches ever again, I highly recommend using leaded solder. Lead-free is such a bitch to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I got my Susuwatari keycaps which are coincidentally the first keycaps I've ever bought, and I love everything about them: the profile and the color is really, really nice. The one thing I don't really get is why does the base kit include the colored shift/alt/ctrl labels on the bottom rows... It doesn't look that good IMO. Yeah, you can buy the monochrome colored ones... for another $60.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Really interested in getting a Keychron. I plan on using it on my art workstation PC and my laptop. I'll often have the keyboard in my lap to tap shortcuts while drawing animation on my cintiq.

Anyone have any pointers on which I should get.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can anyone recommend some relatively affordable and decent quality keycaps while I wait for GMK Fuji? Got my GMMK Pro and gonna be ordering the Boba U4’s this month. I assume enjoyPBT is going to be pretty much fine?

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Spacedad posted:

Really interested in getting a Keychron. I plan on using it on my art workstation PC and my laptop. I'll often have the keyboard in my lap to tap shortcuts while drawing animation on my cintiq.

Anyone have any pointers on which I should get.

The K6 is my go-to recommendation. If you need the function row and/or numpad then get the K2/K4. Whichever you get make sure it's the hotswap version as this makes upgrading the board very easy down the line.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ijyt posted:

Can anyone recommend some relatively affordable and decent quality keycaps while I wait for GMK Fuji? Got my GMMK Pro and gonna be ordering the Boba U4’s this month. I assume enjoyPBT is going to be pretty much fine?

ePBT is cool and good. I wish more designers went with them over GMK.
Sorry I can't recommend anything in stock. I just am not up on what vendors have available.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ijyt posted:

https://thocstock.com/keycaps

Thocstock is amazing, and the guy that runs it is a cool and good dude. Most of the sets on there are pretty solid. That said, I have to generally recommend against anything sold by TheKeyCompany. Any of the other companies there are fine enough, though.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

ijyt posted:

I may be part of the minority, but I like ePBT more than GMK. I'm relatively new to the hobby but I've already had a couple different GMK sets get that shininess/smoothness that ABS plastic get more easily. GMK is great if you're going to display a keyboard and never use it, though, because they have very vibrant and good colors and quality legends.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Gearman posted:

That said, I have to generally recommend against anything sold by TheKeyCompany.

Is there a reason for this? I've made a few purchases there and they've gone okay.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Epsilon Plus posted:

Is there a reason for this? I've made a few purchases there and they've gone okay.

A lot of people have been unhappy with the customer service and with colour matching on group buys. I've ordered Tangerines from them and had no problems but I'm reserving judgement until Magic Girl R2 arrives.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Queer Salutations posted:

A lot of people have been unhappy with the customer service and with colour matching on group buys. I've ordered Tangerines from them and had no problems but I'm reserving judgement until Magic Girl R2 arrives.

I’ve done multiple purchases with them and only one had issues which CS was responsive and resolved quickly. Maybe I got lucky.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Their switches are fine, mostly because they have nothing to do with designing them (they're all JWK clones or made by C3). Any keycaps and deskmats have been a complete poo poo shoe with quality and color matching.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for the replies! Finding in stock stuff is the issue yeah hah, and I agree about the GMK shine issue but that particular set is gonna mesh so well with my coming deskmat and I just wanted to feel cute with the pinks lmao.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

Their switches are fine, mostly because they have nothing to do with designing them (they're all JWK clones or made by C3). Any keycaps and deskmats have been a complete poo poo shoe with quality and color matching.

Ah understandable. I’ve done two mats with them but they were either all black or the IKEA one which is all of two colors. The caps I picked up were the Infinikey WoB set where one of the space bars had a slight warp and another had a slight blue tinge on the legend of another, which they replaced both of them. I can see for more complex sets or mats with several more colors having a higher potential for problems.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The AKKO ASA profile black and pink caps I ordered finally came in and they look gorgeous!

...now I just gotta get a board for them because the one I'm using right now is much much much more suited for puddings or something.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Here are just a few instances of TKC having really terrible QC:

https://twitter.com/apiarykeyboards/status/1362114769000407041?s=19

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards/comments/mg1np1/_/

There's honestly much, much, more than this and some of the people running the company are not people I want to support with my money. I say this as someone that has complete IFK Islander and IFK Cafe sets, and a whole bunch of Kiwi switches (they actually only sent 99 to me, even though I ordered 100).

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

The Kiwis they sold recently had an issue with the molds, which they somehow didn't catch at all. I'm guessing they didn't even look at or test them before shipping them out and just assumed what they were getting was fine.

The dragonfruit switches are, honestly, not very good. They're a nice colorway, but there are many other, better, tactile switches at that price.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

how it started:

how it was going:

how it's going now:

I am using the Durgod K320 now for my work computer, and just built a KBD67 Lite + Boba U4 Silent switches, Akko Maca keycaps, Durock V2 stabilizers. This is my quarantine bad purchase.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gearman posted:

There's honestly much, much, more than this and some of the people running the company are not people I want to support with my money. I say this as someone that has complete IFK Islander and IFK Cafe sets, and a whole bunch of Kiwi switches (they actually only sent 99 to me, even though I ordered 100).

Big oof. Appreciate the examples.

Edit: pulled the TKC deskmats out as well as one from Omnitype (formerly known as Dixie Mech). The TKC ones are thinner by a mil and have a slight waviness that the Omnitype one doesn't have.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 19, 2021

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

hrm, these QA issues shouldn't include keycaps sold by but not produced by TKC, right? I'm really looking forward to my 808-Boom set.

e: I guess Infinikey looks like it's TKC's in-house group. poo poo. Now I'm worried.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 19, 2021

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

alg posted:

how it's going now:

I am using the Durgod K320 now for my work computer, and just built a KBD67 Lite + Boba U4 Silent switches, Akko Maca keycaps, Durock V2 stabilizers. This is my quarantine bad purchase.

Looks great. I was considering joining that group buy, but I have forbidden myself from doing so because I am one of the unfortunate morons who joined the Lumina GB back in 2018
:negative:

How's the KBD67 Lite? I want to live vicariously through your wiser purchase

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

alg posted:

A link to those keycaps? I want to put something new on and want the shine through.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

calandryll posted:

A link to those keycaps? I want to put something new on and want the shine through.

they aren't shine thru sorry =(

https://www.amazon.com/YUNZII-Doubl...18872838&sr=8-1

edit:

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Looks great. I was considering joining that group buy, but I have forbidden myself from doing so because I am one of the unfortunate morons who joined the Lumina GB back in 2018
:negative:

How's the KBD67 Lite? I want to live vicariously through your wiser purchase

I really like it so far, with the Boba silents it's really frickin silent. I am honestly not sure if I need to flash firmware? It just works with VIA.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

hey we don't eclipse ii shame

it was a noble keyboard in its time

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Deviant posted:

hey we don't eclipse ii shame

it was a noble keyboard in its time

I used to take the keys part off and run it thru the dishwasher =)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

alg posted:

how it started:

how it was going:

how it's going now:

Those are hot as gently caress. You have a similar aesthetic to myself.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If anyone is in the market for inexpensive switches, Novelkeys is having a pretty big discount sale right now: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/clearance

The Kailh Polia's are very good tactiles -- similar to Holy Pandas with a nice round bump. At 30¢ a switch, they're more than half off their normal price and very much in the "budget" switch price range, but a much higher quality switch.

The BOX Crystal switches are also interesting as they're just clear top versions (good for boards with RGB) of the normal BOX clicky switches. Two of note are the Navy and Jade -- some of the most popular clicky switches on the market. If you like clicky switches, these are excellent. They're also only like $18 for 90, which makes them incredibly affordable.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Thanks! That's ok, they still look pretty good surrounded by light. I have an CTRL keyboard that I like the caps but want some more color to it, besides the LED lights.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Gearman posted:

If anyone is in the market for inexpensive switches, Novelkeys is having a pretty big discount sale right now: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/clearance

The Kailh Polia's are very good tactiles -- similar to Holy Pandas with a nice round bump. At 30¢ a switch, they're more than half off their normal price and very much in the "budget" switch price range, but a much higher quality switch.

The BOX Crystal switches are also interesting as they're just clear top versions (good for boards with RGB) of the normal BOX clicky switches. Two of note are the Navy and Jade -- some of the most popular clicky switches on the market. If you like clicky switches, these are excellent. They're also only like $18 for 90, which makes them incredibly affordable.

Thanks! Just picked up some Hako Royal Clears!

Heads up, the BOX Crystal Jades are slightly different from the normal Jades.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Thanks for the tip on the NovelKeys sale. You can also use code TAEHAKEYS for an extra 5% off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

You know I was gonna post a bunch of stuff about the 2 remaining original employees (including the CEO) being pieces of poo poo and some of the more political grievances I have with them such as them treating women like poo poo, and describing
transgendered people as "just dramatic" but I'm gonna refrain from going down that rabbit hole of human garbage and just post a meme instead.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

... some of the more political grievances I have with them such as them treating women like poo poo, and describing transgendered people as "just dramatic" ...

that's really loving awful to hear. I was considering going for a polycarbonate M0LLY for another build I had in mind, but I don't think it's worth it now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wow yeah no gently caress supporting that kind of company.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Yikes!

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Gearman posted:

Ditto on the thanks for this, nabbed some Royals for a great price! Friggin' expensive for what they are everywhere else. I assume they are post-retooling since I couldn't see the little nub things on the stem...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

describing transgendered people as "just dramatic"
:lol: I wanna know the scoop on this one, as a ~trans dramamonger~

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Screama posted:

The K6 is my go-to recommendation. If you need the function row and/or numpad then get the K2/K4. Whichever you get make sure it's the hotswap version as this makes upgrading the board very easy down the line.

Thanks - those are some great options.

From what I saw:

k6 would be great for reducing the desk & lap footprint as itty bitty as possible. This is something I would def consider for a living room 'basic browser/media' pc.

k2 would probably be better for me though, because I don't have to put down my drawing pen to press multiple keys to hit an F-number-key, and my F-number-keys are often used in art-apps I use.

k4 I can consider for a 'main desktop' where I would need that numpad. Blender animation shortcuts would definitely be a use-case for that, for when I get into Blender more.

Gonna go with K2, with my eye on a K4 for later - but the hotswap version of it is sold out right now. Is it that much of a crime to get the non-hotswap version? (They both look neat but I like the color better of the keycaps on the non-hotswap one.)

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

transgendered people as "just dramatic" but I'm gonna refrain from going down that rabbit hole of human garbage and just post a meme instead.
Tangentially-related, here's something inside-baseball about problems in my industry.
https://twitter.com/thenicoleham/status/1384685497507713025
Yeah that minorities cast as 'dRaMaTiC tRoUbLEmAkERS' poo poo for asking for basic respect while literally the worst hostile-work-environment scum keep getting a free pass is a real thing I've physically observed.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 21, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Epsilon Plus posted:

that's really loving awful to hear. I was considering going for a polycarbonate M0LLY for another build I had in mind, but I don't think it's worth it now.

good news! They removed BlindAssassin's designer credit from their M0lly listing for no good reason. So now you have another reason not to buy from them.

Stroop There It Is posted:

:lol: I wanna know the scoop on this one, as a ~trans dramamonger~
I wish I could spill the tea on this but it involves several former employees whom I don't think want to be involved in any sort of slander/libel lawsuits so I'll just leave it at that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Looks like my order for a navy Jelly Epoch pushed through. Haven't been to these types of buys before and wasn't expecting the site to absolutely get hammered and end in just a couple of minutes. I thought this bot scalping poo poo only happens with the PS5 and Jordans.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
congrats on the win.
Botting is very much a thing here unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Spacedad posted:

Gonna go with K2, with my eye on a K4 for later - but the hotswap version of it is sold out right now. Is it that much of a crime to get the non-hotswap version? (They both look neat but I like the color better of the keycaps on the non-hotswap one.)

No crime at all, the main benefit of hotswap is that you can turn an entry level keyboard into a much better one without the jump in price you'd get when purchasing a new, better board outright. Definitely not a deal-breaker if it doesn't have it though.