Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's the catch?

It uses the garbage rear end piece of poo poo rebranded Chinese keyboard software to configure your layout and lights. (same ones as all the GK64/61 etc. RGB boards) No QMK support.

Though with a 96key, you're less likely to need much layers I guess and you only need to use the software a couple of times anyway. If it's the same as the other keyboards, most things will be saved to the keyboard itself.

Great features for the price if you're willing to deal with the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
For those looking for a 65% ANSI/ISO hotswap keyboard, Caps Unlocked have reopened their round 2 group buy. Supports QMK and it‘s pretty cheap, too. Biggest downside is likely the integrated plate.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's the catch?

the catch is that layout is bad >.>

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

those keycaps kinda look like a tackier version of Carbon? not a huge fan but it's nice that they have a left-handed version

also @ interrodactyl, after testing them more/paying closer attention, apparently a subset of my Bobas are considerably scratchier than the others. Maybe the smoother ones are just well-broken-in???

Either way now I kinda wanna try my hand at lubing before I put in my next batch of switches once I decide what kind (kinda want to try out a super cushiony linear)... I don't actually need one of those ~lubing station~ acrylic things, right? Just like, switch opener (or screwdriver?), lube, brush for the lube?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

not a huge fan but it's nice that they have a left-handed version

It's a pity the left-hand layout does not have any arrow keys. I would have seriously considered picking one up if it had.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
fwiw, if you want those features with different layouts, keychrons aren't that far off in both price and options. main thing is you'll be paying >$100 for hot swapping and the keycaps are ABS instead of PBT (except for a couple variants i think?)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
OK, so my Razer Blackwidow X Chroma has some keys that just keep repeating for no reason and their support basically told me to gently caress off, so I'm gonna get a new mechanical keyboard. I'm in no way insane like some of you clearly are, so I just need a good mech keyboard. Are the options in the OP still current for deece options? I'm referring to the WASD 104 or the Ducky One 2.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

For those looking for a 65% ANSI/ISO hotswap keyboard, Caps Unlocked have reopened their round 2 group buy. Supports QMK and it‘s pretty cheap, too. Biggest downside is likely the integrated plate.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up on this. I've been looking for a 65% hotswap for a bit, but what is the issue with integrated plates, though?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Oldstench posted:

OK, so my Razer Blackwidow X Chroma has some keys that just keep repeating for no reason and their support basically told me to gently caress off, so I'm gonna get a new mechanical keyboard. I'm in no way insane like some of you clearly are, so I just need a good mech keyboard. Are the options in the OP still current for deece options? I'm referring to the WASD 104 or the Ducky One 2.

Despite diving in to the deep end, I still really like my GMMK:
https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

Can get it in three different sizes, and a few different switch types. You can also swap the switches out, so if you ever feel like trying new switches, you're good to go. Also, if you're in to the RGB thing, the software control for the RGB let's you do some pretty cool things, per-key lighting, animated patterns, etc. Total is around $140 for a fully customizable board.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Why are function keys always in weird places?

If I don't have an F-Key row, why do you put Fn next to right Ctrl??

Is there any keyboard (60-65%) that lets me use caps lock as caps lock when single pressed, but when held, act as a modifier?

Something off the shelf? No soldering please.

No Anne Pros, the build quality on the one I had was shite

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

LordAdakos posted:

Why are function keys always in weird places?

If I don't have an F-Key row, why do you put Fn next to right Ctrl??

Is there any keyboard (60-65%) that lets me use caps lock as caps lock when single pressed, but when held, act as a modifier?

Something off the shelf? No soldering please.

No Anne Pros, the build quality on the one I had was shite

The Poker keyboards have dip switches to swap things around like function, caps lock, windows key and can be programmed without software. But I don't know if it's possible to do the press and hold idea without auto hot key.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
The only other dedicated key you could put Function on without pissing everybody off is the Menu key. But yeah, I hear you on like laptops and wireless media keyboards, it seems like they'll put a Function key anywhere on those things. They'd probably even split a key in half to shove it in there.

The Massdrop ALT lets you do that since it supports QMK.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Y'ALL I FINALLY FUKING WON A RAFFLE.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I just got my Boba U4's. Popped a keycap on a switch and a leftover Gateron Brown from an old build and it's blowing my mind how quiet it is in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGVE8xAHP8

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

you fekker

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Congrats! I immediately regretted offering mine up for sale as soon as I opened it. These boards are simply amazing. If for some reason you ever decide to sell it, DM me. I'll make you a good offer. (and by 'good offer' I mean what you paid for it, because I'm now poor from building my Mysterium)

Gearman fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 31, 2020

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone have experience with purchasing one of these molds off of Amazon and making your own key caps? https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Mec...610&sr=8-4&th=1 How was it? All the tutorials I can find are for building your own molds and then making keycaps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

Congrats! I immediately regretted offering mine up for sale as soon as I opened it. These boards are simply amazing. If for some reason you ever decide to sell it, DM me. I'll make you a good offer. (and by 'good offer' I mean what you paid for it, because I'm now poor from building my Mysterium)

If for some reason I hit dire financial straits I'll let you know, but I have a feeling that I'll be handing onto this for a while. This plate is REALLY well designed.
https://twitch.tv/Langelandia
Langelandia is building the same board on his twitch stream on Friday. I might join him and build mine at the same time depending on how things go this week. Either way I'll be in chat if I'm not available to stream.

In other news, the Wyvern announced a tentative GB date of a week from today.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105187.0

And the Southpaw75 V2 just received protos so that might be up soon as well.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108777.0

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 1, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If for some reason I hit dire financial straits I'll let you know, but I have a feeling that I'll be handing onto this for a while. This plate is REALLY well designed.
https://twitch.tv/Langelandia is building the same board on his twitch stream on Friday. I might join him and build mine at the same time depending on how things go this week. Either way I'll be in chat if I'm not available to stream.

Haha yeah I didn't think so, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least get the word out that I'm looking and serious about paying for one. I don't blame you one bit for holding on to it, it's a work of art.

Magical Bee
Jul 30, 2013

I bought a cheap mechanical keyboard with blue switches a while ago, but I was banned from using it around people. Would browns or reds be quiet enough to use around people? Or something else? Dampeners? I'm new to this.

Magical Bee fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Non-clicky switches are markedly quieter, but they're still not quiet. In my limited use of them, o-rings take out the high frequencies which may make them more palatable to your spacemates, but they don't get rid of the noise.

There are 'silent' switches out there which I hear work, but I haven't tried them personally.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I (and my coworkers around me) love Cherry MX Clears and Zealios Zilents, but if you type hard you can still make a racket when you bottom the switch out.

Linear switches like Cherry Reds or Blacks don't click, but I found them mushy and annoying personally.

Magical Bee
Jul 30, 2013

There's two walls between them and me, but apparently that lovely typewriter hammering still makes its way through them. I love the sound, but only being able to use it when I'm alone is a pretty big bummer.

Maybe I can try a swappable keyboard with browns or clears first and only go to reds if they still drive people nuts? I don't really love the GMMK branding, but it looks like it might be a good one to experiment with, since I prefer full keyboards.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Magical Bee posted:

There's two walls between them and me, but apparently that lovely typewriter hammering still makes its way through them. I love the sound, but only being able to use it when I'm alone is a pretty big bummer.

Maybe I can try a swappable keyboard with browns or clears first and only go to reds if they still drive people nuts? I don't really love the GMMK branding, but it looks like it might be a good one to experiment with, since I prefer full keyboards.

Not a big fan of their branding either. Thankfully, the GMMK has basically none of their branding on it. It's really clean. I'd start with the Gat Browns that you can have them put on it and go from there.

Alternatively, you can order the board without any switches and get some Gazzew Boba switches here: https://mkultra.click/products/gazzew-boba-silent-tactile-u4-switches

They're amazing, and very well priced, and actually feel pretty great without any lube.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
re: silent switches (not tactiles)
https://clips.twitch.tv/DifferentCloudyNoodleDeIlluminati

Silent Alpacas are stupid quiet though for real.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Magical Bee posted:

Yeah, GMMK's brand is silly reddit-y tier stuff, but the actual board has nothing dumb or obnoxious on it. It's just a simple slab of aluminum. The only branding stuff at all is a small logo on the label on the bottom of the board.

Some people really really don't like linear switches, but if you want silence, I think the silent linears are really fantastic. There are silenced tactile switches too, but I like the feel of them much less.

The good thing with the modular board is that a set of switches on it's own is relatively cheap, usually about 30 bucks. So trying different ones is not too bad.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
You might also just be a really loud typer in general, though yeah, you can try to mitigate it with silent switches.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So I ended up grabbing a Durgod Taurus K310 with Cherry Reds and it's just lovely. Love the sound and feel.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hopped onto the GK96S kickstarter. They had it taking pledges a bit before the posted time but I got the one I wanted. Will be a nice alternative to the membrane I use at work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epomaker/epomaker-gk96s-96-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I've got an MK730 (which I generally like - at least once I replaced the keycaps) and was looking at a Keychron K8 for work - the K8 is appealing because it has a floating key design and has some convenient bluetooth functionality; the hot swappability is nice, too. But I see that the K8 is quite large vertically. I would of course get a wristrest, but am thinking even with the wristrest the height might bother me, as I like low keyboards (I use a wristwrest for the MK730). Would it drive me nuts or will the wristrest probably suffice?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hi keyboard maniac friends, does there yet exist a wireless mechanical keyboard (blue switches for preference) that costs under $100 and won't die in 6 months?

e: should specify, I don't need backlighting or any other sorts of bells and whistles.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 4, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hi keyboard maniac friends, does there yet exist a wireless mechanical keyboard (blue switches for preference) that costs under $100 and won't die in 6 months?

i'm pretty happy with my keychron, if you're okay with gateron blues instead of cherry (dunno how they compare tbh)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

drat, this looks...really good for the price:

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/introducing-gmmk-pro

75%, gasket mounted, aluminum, rotary encoder. And always in-stock.

$169.99

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Magical Bee posted:

I bought a cheap mechanical keyboard with blue switches a while ago, but I was banned from using it around people. Would browns or reds be quiet enough to use around people? Or something else? Dampeners? I'm new to this.

I had a keyboard with MX browns which aren't as loud as blues, but my wife said she could definitely hear them from the other room. I'm using silent reds now and no complaints. I don't mind the feel either.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
That looks super sweet for the price. Like a Satisfaction75 without the OLED panel and brass, but doesn't cost a loving stupid amount. Good to see, it seems like every other custom these days are a RAMA ripoff so that they can charge RAMA prices.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, I'm putting money down on one. Seems like a pretty good deal.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Gearman posted:

drat, this looks...really good for the price:

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/introducing-gmmk-pro

75%, gasket mounted, aluminum, rotary encoder. And always in-stock.

$169.99

drat is right. The company's stated mission is "to change the status quo of an industry that we think is in dire need of a shake-up", and I'm thinking they're actually not messing around.

I'll wait and see some reviews first, but I think this is pretty good.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
what makes these so much more expensive than other 75% keyboards?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

MeruFM posted:

what makes these so much more expensive than other 75% keyboards?

Compared to the cheaper boards? Materials. Full aluminum case, metal plate, and a metal rotary knob are already a pretty penny. And if I recall QMK/VIU support comes at a small cost. Plus cut foam for both sides of the PCB for improved acoustics is another cost.

You should be comparing this with the other premium 75% boards. If this thing performs well it’s going to be a great high-end board for a reasonable price. The Satisfaction 75, which this could compete with, cost $480.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also, you get to buy a keyboard from a company that thinks this is an acceptable name and branding to have in 2020

love to found a company branded after an "ironic" racist meme!!