Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

congrats on the win.
Botting is very much a thing here unfortunately.

And I assume this also explains why the Think65s and Alpines (which looks to be cheaper) end up as $800 on MechMarket? That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Disharmony posted:

And I assume this also explains why the Think65s and Alpines (which looks to be cheaper) end up as $800 on MechMarket? That sucks.

Demand far exceeds supply pretty much across the board in the custom keyboard market. Flipping is still kind of a thing, but it's only viable because demand is so high. Even the biggest companies with continuous stock of boards like KBDFans, Novelkeys, and Glorious, struggle to keep product in stock.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just a heads up, Keychron is advertising some kind of new keyboard that's apparently going to be VIA compatible?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hmm, I have $10 in massdrop credit expiring.

Anything new and hot on there I should know about?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to voice a thanks to the cool folks in the discord that put up with all my questions. Picked up a bunch of tools and some Box Jades to play around with, and will pick up a lubing station and some Boba U4Ts next paycheck.

After that it's looking for a more "endgame" board.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Deviant posted:

They were having a sale on MT3 profile kits, not sure if it's still happening. I do love the Susuwatari set I got from them. The profile is wonderful, and I love the colorway. The biip set looks interesting. PBT, some fun legends, and shipping in June.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What's the Discord link? :)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

alg posted:

What's the Discord link? :)

https://discord.gg/CvgR3nKP

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Had no idea we had a Discord channel! Heading over there to have my dumb questions answered as I build my quick Endgame :D

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deviant posted:

oh gently caress me I had $10 and let it lapse. Son of a bitch I should have just bit the bullet on a Susuwatari kit.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone know where I might find DSA brown keycaps? I found dsa singles on KBD Fans and PimpMyKeyboard but no brown.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

huhu posted:

Anyone know where I might find DSA brown keycaps? I found dsa singles on KBD Fans and PimpMyKeyboard but no brown.

you mean like, a set of DSA or like a single keycap?
MechMarket has a discord with a channel dedicated to single keycaps: https://discord.gg/ztxvgqd

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I finally did it. I finished my first mech build. A custom-designed, 3d printed, hand-wired, why-did-I-do-this-to-myself, 96% keyboard with Gateron blacks and PBT keycaps with side legends.

It's certainly not perfect, and I didn't make it very easy on myself, but overall I'm really happy with it. In retrospect, I could have made things much easier on myself by making a smaller, simpler board, or by just buying a kit an trying it out first but I wanted a big project to do and this was a gigantic one. Every step was a huge pain in the rear end, but the end result is still an upgrade, so I'm gonna call it a win.

The layout is mostly the same as the Keychron K4 except with a rotary encoder instead of a button to control the lights, because I didn't want any lights on it. I designed the plate and case in Blender, then 3d printed the plate from black PETG and the case from Wood infused PLA, which I later stained mahogany. The key switches are Gateron blacks, which I've never used before but I really enjoy. I wanted a nice quiet key, but didn't like how easy cherry reds are to accidentally hit, so the stiffer switch is a really nice change. They're also incredibly quiet which my wife is a fan of. I was using Cherry MX browns before in a G710+, which isn't super noisy, but I really smack the keys when I type, so the blacks really help with that. I bought the cheapest plate mounted stabilizers I can find, but I lubricated them with dialectric grease after testing them, and they actually sound really nice. I think the case being FULL of wires and poo poo probably helps things sounds little more muted as well.

Overall, I'm super happy with it, but this is definitely the version 1.0 of this design. I was thinking of open-sourcing it so other people could make them when I'm done, but I think I need at LEAST one more iteration before it's ready for anyone else to try out. Luckily, one of my coworkers has said he'd like one built, so I may use the opportunity to make a way better version.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

This is actually insane, and I LOVE it! Definitely a little nutty going with such a large size board, but it's all the more impressive. I'd be really interested if you open sourced it. You should drop a note in here and the Discord when/if you do make it available.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Thanks! I'll definitely post about it once it's done and ready for other people to build. I also ended up getting a couple of Pi Picos a little while ago, and think I could swing making firmware to run a keyboard on one of those. They work as HID devices, so it should work for a keyboard just fine. No QMK, but I don't think it'd be too insane to make one.

I should probably actually join the discord server... Anyone have a fresh link? The one above is expired or I am bad at computers. It is unclear.

E: I'm in.

Natron fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah... thats a level up in insanity.. love it. loving badass bro.. keep that poo poo up!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Discord server link: https://discord.gg/8tJXUKcRzj

Set to never expire so it should be good.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean... yeah. Stainless steel is expensive as gently caress to produce right now.

Dense, too. Your seven pound luxury aluminum case is a twenty pound monster as steel. Does it absorb sound? Man, it absorbs bullets.

Here's an issue - I install this Drop MT3 Camillo for this Drop Ctrl case. It's made of ABS and I'm finding I like the texture of PBT so I order the same profile Drop MT3 dev/tty off of Amazon which was listed as Renewed.

Installation is fine except NOW the space bar sticks. If you push the bar all the way down it'll stay down and the switch won't be able to push the key back up.
I can't tell if it was warped or something is rubbing against the stabs or what. I swap out the ABS Camillo, (exact same shape but ABS instead of PBT) and everything is fine. Amazon is going to send me a new set of keys in a few days - also listed as Renewed, which may or may not solve my problem.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 26, 2021

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

Dense, too. Your seven pound luxury aluminum case is a twenty pound monster as steel. Does it absorb sound? Man, it absorbs bullets.

Here's an issue - I install this Drop MT3 Camillo for this Drop Ctrl case. It's made of ABS and I'm finding I like the texture of PBT so I order the same profile Drop MT3 dev/tty off of Amazon which was listed as Renewed.

Installation is fine except NOW the space bar sticks. If you push the bar all the way down it'll stay down and the switch won't be able to push the key back up.
I can't tell if it was warped or something is rubbing against the stabs or what. I swap out the ABS Camillo, (exact same shape but ABS instead of PBT) and everything is fine. Amazon is going to send me a new set of keys in a few days - also listed as Renewed, which may or may not solve my problem.

It’s probably warped. PBT space bars are notorious for being warped. Dunk it in a cup hot water for 10 seconds, take it out and place on a flat surface, then press down on both ends firmly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qWET4BUYI

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

.Z. posted:

It’s probably warped. PBT space bars are notorious for being warped. Dunk it in a cup hot water for 10 seconds, take it out and place on a flat surface, then press down on both ends firmly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qWET4BUYI

oh! thanks for this!

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I put together my first custom from scratch over the weekend. Made sure to test all the switches before I put the plate/pcb in the case and put on all the keycaps... only to find out the stabs for the enter key aren't working. They just stick down when a keycap is on. So I've learned a valuable lesson and earned my self an hour of cap and switch pulling (it's a hotswap) to ruminate on it so I can access the stabs to figure out why they're sticking.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Queer Salutations posted:

I put together my first custom from scratch over the weekend. Made sure to test all the switches before I put the plate/pcb in the case and put on all the keycaps... only to find out the stabs for the enter key aren't working. They just stick down when a keycap is on. So I've learned a valuable lesson and earned my self an hour of cap and switch pulling (it's a hotswap) to ruminate on it so I can access the stabs to figure out why they're sticking.

^^ read .Z. Post

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

redeyes posted:

^^ read .Z. Post

I tried a few different keycaps so I don't think it's a warping issue but you're right in that I should at least try first. I'm just assuming it's the stab because one of them was giving me a lot of issues when I was putting it on in the first place.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

When I had that it was because one end of the stab wire was in wrong.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Queer Salutations posted:

I tried a few different keycaps so I don't think it's a warping issue but you're right in that I should at least try first. I'm just assuming it's the stab because one of them was giving me a lot of issues when I was putting it on in the first place.

OH yeah could be easily. Turns out my own problem with stabs was a warped space bar.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Dr Cheesequake posted:

I’m in the flex batch and haven’t gotten an email yet.

me neither, I'm getting antsy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Hey guys, I split some crap on my Logitech K480, should I just get a replacement if I'm after bluetooth pairing to multiple devices? The slot is pretty handy for putting lining up my phone and my tablet at the same time, but I could live without it if there's a better option.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Multi-Device-Keyboard-K480/dp/B00MUTWLW4/

crepeface fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 27, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

crepeface posted:

Hey guys, I split some crap on my Logitech K480, should I just get a replacement if I'm after bluetooth pairing to multiple devices? The slot is pretty handy for putting lining up my phone and my tablet at the same time, but I could live without it if there's a better option.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bluetooth-Multi-Device-Keyboard-K480/dp/B00MUTWLW4/

What is your typical use case? I'm inclined to suggest buying another one, but if you're looking for more bells and whistles and customization, there might be a few other options.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Basically general purpose/everything.

I don't necessarily need multi-bluetooth either, it's just nice to have if I want to do anything complicated on my phone and tablet or just use it as a chat machine.

PC-wise: gaming, browsing, document processing, spreadsheets, coding, everything really.

I guess it would be nice to have media keys separate from the function keys and maybe a trackpad (I have my computer also hooked up to a TV). I also have an old PS/2 full keyboard with keypad and separate media/F keys, so if I really need to do some heavy typing, I can always bust that out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Oh god rounded keys kill it with fire

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Found a nice, affordable cable company based here in Canada: https://www.dispatchcables.com/

TONS of colours to pick from. $43 CAD with all customizations added for a coiled cable. Can't wait!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Of course the place I was gonna order Boba U4’s with clear tops is sold out with no concrete re-order date :negative:

Does anyone else know a place selling them that delivers to the UK? RGBKB seems to deliver everywhere but here.

e: Rescued by eloquent clicks, phew

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 27, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/n0jttw/gb_scarlet_seamless_hotswap_top_gasket_mount_tkl/

https://www.makerkeyboards.com/products/scarlet?variant=37870477115542

This wasn't even on my radar until it popped up on mech group buys. Very no-frills top/o-ring mount TKL with hotswap, starting at a not terrible price.

That USB-C cutout is IMPRESSIVELY tight.

e: nm this is the guy who ran the Phantom and fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk that.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 28, 2021

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
My 808-themed cable from Space Cables has arrived before any of my 808-Boom stuff, as evidently the deskmats are being reprinted. Wonder how they got hosed up?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

My 808-themed cable from Space Cables has arrived before any of my 808-Boom stuff, as evidently the deskmats are being reprinted. Wonder how they got hosed up?

As I got informed recently, TKC has a history of bad color match, amongst other issues.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

At this point, it could be any of a hundred different things given that it's TKC. Knowing them it's probably some combination of poor color accuracy or wavy surface.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
yeah TKC's deskmat manu is pretty trash. I'm not surprised but I'm super glad that they're at least attempting to make this not suck.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Got my email for completing my GMMK Pro order today - I'd preordered in December, if that gives anyone waiting an idea of when to expect theirs.

I did not reckon with the shipping cost to Australia, although I probably should have. US$60, oof.

Accessories were surprisingly almost all available - the switch puller was the only thing that was out of stock.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I was in the first batch and annoyingly I left my confirmation for a day and the polycarb plates were sold out, were they available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

ijyt posted:

I was in the first batch and annoyingly I left my confirmation for a day and the polycarb plates were sold out, were they available?

yes