Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I guess you can always use the numpad + button on the MaxKey Portland. I've always wanted to use that 2u left shift layout too but it's too much of a pain for keycap compatibility. I've mostly been doing a 1.75u right and move the up arrow key to the very right.

Mito just dropped Pulse and Laser for DSA's today:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-dsa-legacy-custom-keycap-set

Pretty tempting but I might hold out for GMK Laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I assembled a Planck and took a risk on Matias Quiet Pro switches and I'm never going back. Sorry MX clears

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Love the Mito Pulse and Laser look, but my Miami Dolshe DSAs are arriving soon.

I honestly think I'm done buying capsets for the foreseeable future, unless something good comes out that supports the Race3's Esc, Del, Shift, etc. keys well. Fortunately I like the default Race3 caps a lot ... I just like having options.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer

Constellation I posted:

I guess you can always use the numpad + button on the MaxKey Portland. I've always wanted to use that 2u left shift layout too but it's too much of a pain for keycap compatibility. I've mostly been doing a 1.75u right and move the up arrow key to the very right.

Mito just dropped Pulse and Laser for DSA's today:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-dsa-legacy-custom-keycap-set

Pretty tempting but I might hold out for GMK Laser.

GMK Laser will support the 2u shift. :getin:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions on a keyboard to replace a Ideazon Merc keyboard? A Windows security update disabled the left hand side of my board making it practically useless to me unless I disable signed driver enforcement in Windows and install an unsigned driver to make the keyboard work again. My issue is, I have used my merc for so long that gaming on normal qwerty layouts just doesn't feel well for me. What I find particularly nice about the Merc is the high key density in one area, 34 keys in a 4.75"x4.5" "square".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I got my Vortex Core in the mail today. I'm going from a WASD v2.0 TKL with Cherry MX Silent switches to MX Clears. I thought I was going to throw my Vortex away after 20 minutes because the tab key was mapped to caps lock. Then I flashed the firmware and lost an entire layer which included the arrow keys. After a bit of searching on reddit it turned out the crafty taiwanese reordered the fn and alt keys and now I actually kinda like the little bastard.

Mostly, I like the small size because for the first time in my life, I can orient the keyboard directly in front of me instead of off to the side to accommodate a mouse.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Chikimiki posted:

Hey keyboard thread! I'm looking for a good basic keyboard with function- and media keys, nothing too blingy or expensive. I'd also like it to be quiet. Main use surfing and some gaming. Any recommendations for those criteria? I'm currently using a cheap dell keyboard, but I really liked my old thinkpad's tiping experience. Apple's full keyboard seemed good enough , but function and media keys are not distinct, plus it's expensive. Logitech G213 was another candidate, but I hate the gamer bling, and I'm afraid of the noise of those mechanical keys :ohdear:

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm over a month late, but here's a very quiet and non-mechanical keyboard I like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00426HI8U/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Kensington Slim has scissor-switch keys (like your old ThinkPad!) and several media and function keys.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
So there are a lot of people here with way more knowledge than I have about keyboards! Does anyone here have any experience with ortholinear keyboards? The layout appeals to me, and it looks like there are some non-soldering diy options from China available on aliexpress. I'm basically looking for a compact keyboard that has iso nordic with arrow keys, and I think an ortholinear would be easy to fenagle into something optimal.

I'm on the fence about ordering a vortex race 3 or looking into some sort of ortholinear setup. Interested to hear about any insight into how awesome and/or dumb ortholinear keyboards are!

My primary usage would be home for video games but the keyboard would see quite a lot of usage to type word documents as well.

Edit: this is the diy kit I am talking about btw

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 23, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Nothing wrong with ortholinear, I think one of the reasons most keyboards are staggered is the typewriter legacy.

Anyway, in shocking news, the Canvas XDA caps are finally shipping! Probably still another fortnight before I get them myself but hey, I lived to see the day.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

forkbucket posted:

So there are a lot of people here with way more knowledge than I have about keyboards! Does anyone here have any experience with ortholinear keyboards? The layout appeals to me, and it looks like there are some non-soldering diy options from China available on aliexpress. I'm basically looking for a compact keyboard that has iso nordic with arrow keys, and I think an ortholinear would be easy to fenagle into something optimal.

I'm on the fence about ordering a vortex race 3 or looking into some sort of ortholinear setup. Interested to hear about any insight into how awesome and/or dumb ortholinear keyboards are!

My primary usage would be home for video games but the keyboard would see quite a lot of usage to type word documents as well.

Edit: this is the diy kit I am talking about btw

ortho is cool don't let anybody tell you different. That's a fairly popular kit from china. The other option in a similar form factor but a bit smaller is the preonic from olkb.com. No idea when it would ship though as they may still be working on their massdrop orders.

Both of the boards are fully programmable so you can have any keys anywhere you want. If you're looking for keycaps that are not just blanks you may have to search around a bit for ones you like and that have the right letters in the right profile (DSA profile caps are all the same height so they can go anywhere on the board and not look out of place or feel odd).

In other news, I got my Miami Dolch set.

please ignore my desk it's awful.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As long as that isn’t dandruff it’s all good

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

No it's not. I snort all my dandruff, I don't leave it laying around.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What's the appeal to using those tiny keyboards? Does not having F keys annoy anyone?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dizz posted:

What's the appeal to using those tiny keyboards? Does not having F keys annoy anyone?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dizz posted:

I love it because I can centre the keyboard to my torso so I'm not reaching to the left to type. Also I don't have to lift my hands off the keyboard to hit any of the keys or at least reach very far.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

A TKL CODE with MX Clears came within a day of the GMK Yuri Keycap set so I put them together and its a pretty good fit. I do like the sound the GMK caps make on their return and it seems to hide the *ping* I've come to associate with cherry switch springs. If/when I build a custom gaming focused keeb, I'll definitely be using a GMK profile keycap set.

I'd take a picture of my desk except:

1) I don't want you all to know how many keyboards are currently plugged in.
2) The light from the room and the light from my monitors clash in such a way that I can't get a good picture.
3) I really don't want you all to know how many keyboards are currently plugged in.

Anyhow. The dark blue doesn't really show up well in the pictures, so getting a good picture under natural lighting was difficult unless I held it. Enjoy my unfinished doom tattoo I guess.

The novelty caps own btw.

If the clears were a bit heavier I'd be OK with using this as my daily driver. That said, I'm looking forward to the "Thick Click" BOX switch from novelkeys. They just might be the brick poo poo house of a switch I've been looking for.

I just read this post and I sound like a lunatic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dizz posted:

I find it's a very focused way of working. You have to concentrate on what you're doing... works for ADD me.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Nondescript Van posted:

ortho is cool don't let anybody tell you different. That's a fairly popular kit from china. The other option in a similar form factor but a bit smaller is the preonic from olkb.com. No idea when it would ship though as they may still be working on their massdrop orders.

Both of the boards are fully programmable so you can have any keys anywhere you want. If you're looking for keycaps that are not just blanks you may have to search around a bit for ones you like and that have the right letters in the right profile (DSA profile caps are all the same height so they can go anywhere on the board and not look out of place or feel odd).

In other news, I got my Miami Dolch set.

please ignore my desk it's awful.

Thanks for the input! I ended up choosing the vortex since I could find it with ISO nordic. Looked all over for nordic keycaps to put on the xd75re, but the only solutions that wouldn't look like a hodge podge Franken-board were a bit out of my comfort zone price-wise.

Maybe some day in the future when/if the vortex breaks I'll recycle the base nordic keycaps onto an ortholinear keyboard, so I'd only have to get 1u modifiers to make it look purdy!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The problem is more and more skandi speakers are using English for online communication and with keycaps already being a small niche and there being like, maybe 20mil speakers between Norwegian Swedish and danish, you probably will never find any that are cool without making them yourself

I really wanted my work board to be ISO Nordic because I use Norwegian at work a lot but instead I went with my vaporwave english/japanese caps instead because a e s t h e t i c s

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have seen ISO Nordic add-on kits at Massdrop fwiw. You obviously have to wait a while but presumably it's worth it.

edit: I finally had a Massdrop order ship late, the Pok3r ... but somehow it arrived at my place in Canada in two days, more than making up for it.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

The keys are definitely out there, but the add-on or international bundles were 35-55$ in addition to the base alphas and modifiers. Even the cheapest option combing stuff from aliexpress and stores like pimp my keyboard I found would have ended up being approx 80-90 bucks not including import duties. Buying stuff like this in Norway blows.

Anyway I'm more than happy going for the vortex race 3, it looks like a fantastic keyboard that checks all the boxes I was looking for! And hey like I said, soon I'll have a nordic alpha set I can recycle if I ever feel like it! The DSA profile is definitely my favorite, so that's what I would want to use in the future for any ortholinear keyboard.

I am planning on splurging on some cool colored WASD to match the blue and/or green of.the extra keycaps that come with the vortex! Maybe a space bar or something too :3:

This is how it starts isn't it :ohdear:

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

forkbucket posted:

Looking forward to your next post from inside a windmill full of keyboard corpses.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

forkbucket posted:

It's already too late for you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm going to lurk a bit before asking any questions, but this key layout, wireless (bluetooth or w/e) and using AA batteries, is basically what I want to replace a 9-yo Apple Wireless Keyboard.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

doctorfrog posted:

I'm going to lurk a bit before asking any questions, but this key layout, wireless (bluetooth or w/e) and using AA batteries, is basically what I want to replace a 9-yo Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I'm not aware of any AA battery powered mechanical wireless keyboards, but the Varmilo VB87M hits all your other requirements. The layout you're looking for is known as 80% or TKL (short for ten keyless). Some people have taken to using a CHOETECH Qi pad with a cheap charging receiving and an attached adapter.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm looking for a new keyboard as my Logitech G110 is just too big for my desk and I haven't used the G-keys in forever. One thing I absolutely must have is a volume roller. I don't give a poo poo if it's mechanical or not, but if it is it does need to be fairly quiet since I don't want to wake up the dead on Saturday morning.

I'm looking at the DAS Professional 4. From the store it doesn't come with the quiet switches, but maybe I can get them to customize it for me. The volume knob is what I'm really after, but the USB3.0 hub feature is nice.

Any other suggestions?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Got my new Space bars:

I also finally got around to taking some of the old keys from the CODE and slapping them on the V2 so I wouldn't have to fumble for symbols I frequently forget like ^ and &. Threw the WASD keys on there for no real reason.

So far I've only caught the top one out of the corner of my eye and thought there was a shitload of crumbs on my space bar only 3 times, but I suspect that'll be a regular pre-coffee occurrence in the future.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there a more popular RGB keyboard that I should look at? Or would the MK Disco TKL RGB with browns be pretty sufficient?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Found this thread and now I definitely want a fancy keyboard. Was ready to buy the mk disco after seeing it in the op and finding a lot of extremely satisfied reviews but of course the shipping to the UK from the US is obscene. Does anyone know anywhere I can buy it for decent price including shipping or perhaps something comparable I can get in the UK?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Found this thread and now I definitely want a fancy keyboard. Was ready to buy the mk disco after seeing it in the op and finding a lot of extremely satisfied reviews but of course the shipping to the UK from the US is obscene. Does anyone know anywhere I can buy it for decent price including shipping or perhaps something comparable I can get in the UK?

perhaps this place. I don't know what's obscene with exchange rates and whatnot. https://www.cclonline.com/category/...nical-keyboards

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

I got super indecisive and cancelled my vortex race 3 order. I think I'm going to order the vortex keycaps and scavenge all the nordic alphas and 1u modifiers and supplement with an ortholinear mod set from pimp my keyboard. That should total about the same as the vortex but end up costing less total, and I'll end up with an iso nordic ortholinear.

Edit: I took the plunge and ordered the xd75re off aliexpress and ordered keycaps. Going all in on ortholinear!

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 25, 2017

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anybody ordered directly from Tai-Hao before and know what the normal turnaround time for delivery to the US is? They claimed it shipped out over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen a thing about it making it through customs stateside yet.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I don't expect anything to arrive from overseas in less than a month tbh.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

G-Prime posted:

Anybody ordered directly from Tai-Hao before and know what the normal turnaround time for delivery to the US is? They claimed it shipped out over 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen a thing about it making it through customs stateside yet.

I haven't ordered from tai-hao myself, but this is not out of the ordinary from what I've heard. ~2 mo it may be time to worry, but i've heard 1mo is expected.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CloFan posted:

I'm looking for a new keyboard as my Logitech G110 is just too big for my desk and I haven't used the G-keys in forever. One thing I absolutely must have is a volume roller. I don't give a poo poo if it's mechanical or not, but if it is it does need to be fairly quiet since I don't want to wake up the dead on Saturday morning.

I'm looking at the DAS Professional 4. From the store it doesn't come with the quiet switches, but maybe I can get them to customize it for me. The volume knob is what I'm really after, but the USB3.0 hub feature is nice.

Any other suggestions?

Corsair K70.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want a super quiet board with minimal design and some level of backlighting. I'll probably be using it on mac + windows so compatibility is nice. What's the best way to get what I want?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Not a mechanical keyboard, but this might fit the bill: http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

looks nice, but I'd like mechanical so I can swap caps etc.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

well why not posted:

I want a super quiet board with minimal design and some level of backlighting. I'll probably be using it on mac + windows so compatibility is nice. What's the best way to get what I want?

Why do we even have the OP if nobody reads it.

Code with clears, with sound dampeners installed.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-104-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Massdrop is relaunching a bunch of keycap sets

quote:

GMK 3Run Keycap Set
GMK Carbon Add-On Keycap Kit
GMK Carbon Custom Keycap Set
GMK Carbon Ergodox/Planck Modifers Kit
GMK Carbon Novelty Keycap Set
GMK TA Royal Alpha Typewriter Keycap Set