Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
splits are sick for gaming tho cause you get so much mouse room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It took me a long time to get used to it but yeah, splits are the way

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Love that mini midi kb or mini e-piano

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My weeb coworker is going to Japan soon and is gonna take advantage of the weak yen to get a fancy made in Japan mechanical keyboard. He has several requests:

1)made in Japan
2)high quality, no flex, wobble. Incredible manufacturing processes.
3)ten key
4)hot swappable ideal because he doesn’t know what switch type he’s gonna be into.
5) preferably wireless.

I’d say the first 3 asks are the most important, with 2 being a dealbreaker if not sufficiently met.

I could have sworn ducky was Japanese but it’s Taiwanese but they’re apparently high quality right? High quality enough to hit #2?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

buglord posted:

My weeb coworker is going to Japan soon and is gonna take advantage of the weak yen to get a fancy made in Japan mechanical keyboard. He has several requests:

1)made in Japan
3)ten key
4)hot swappable ideal because he doesn’t know what switch type he’s gonna be into.
5) preferably wireless.

I’d say the first 3 asks are the most important, with 2 being a dealbreaker if not sufficiently met.

I could have sworn ducky was Japanese but it’s Taiwanese but they’re apparently high quality right? High quality enough to hit #2?

Ducky's are decent. The bar for "high quality" can vary really wildly depending on how far you've peeked into the custom mechanical rabbit hole. Personally, I would not say that a Ducky meets the bar set by point #2, as I think few plastic case boards (outside boards like the HHKB, Realforce, and a few others) meet that criteria.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 1, 2024

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The neat thing about shopping keyboards in Japan is that the major chain retailers also have much of their keyboard selection on display, so you can feel them all before buying. Those are stores like Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, and Tsukumo.

The downside is that often it may be harder to find ANSI or ISO layouts. Rather a big part of the selection is JIS layout which is very annoying and useless if you don't spend all day typing in Japanese.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Ignored my RSI too long; now trying to learn to 10-finger-type like a grown up, on a split Moonlander. Slow going but my hands are already happier.

Still have a Huntsman v2 here (with a busted F diode, pay respects) to cheat on typing with as needed, and for gaming, a thing I basically do not do.

I like the moonlander a lot. The DOIO numpad is sorta needless but I like a physical volume button and I have it mapped to do a bunch of interesting things. The software loving sucks, you have to flash it yourself, I couldn't get that to work in Windows and my efforts led to me loving up my USB layer with Zadig so bad that I had to reformat.

the doio worked fine in the beginning but i guess the latest VIA update did something. i tried flashing it by following the instructions, but it just doesn't work and i think it may be because i have V1. so if i want one that works with VIA, i have to buy a new one lmao.

i like my gem80 but it think i'll use it for when i want to focus on writing, since my doio just doesn't work and i'm so used to having a numpad. i ended up grabbing a steelseries apex 7 because the clicky version was $100 bucks and i had a $100 amazon gift card from my birthday. plus i love clicky switches. it's also a lot smaller than the corsair k100 that i had before and then realized i didn't need all the fancy extras except for a knob and media controls.

still probably going to get the zoom max and zoom 109 when they come out lol

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

buglord posted:

1)made in Japan
3)ten key
5) preferably wireless.

Pretty much the main JP keyboard player left is Topre. A lot of old Alps keyboards have the ‘made in Japan’ experience but they’ve been out of production for basically ever at this point.

For modern stuff you’re basically looking at the high end coming out of China right now.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mode 65 V2 leaked in their discord yesterday morning. Probably at least 4-8 months out, but stoked. Looks more or less the same as V1, so still a magnetic back piece that can be changed out.

My Zoom 65 V2.5 finally arrived yesterday. I need to build that and my backup Mode Sonnet as soon as I finish taxes this weekend. Might drop picks once they are finished.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's a few Keychron models up on woot. Woot is owned by amazon now (so shipping is free if you have prime) but I don't think their customer support is quite as good. Still, the prices seem to be pretty low for new keyboards, with the Q2 for $100 and the C2, K6, K3, or K1 for $50:
https://computers.woot.com/plus/keychron-mechanical-keyboards

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Heads up for anyone like me who was interested in a Wooting60 but wanted arrow keys, their 80% model went up for preorder. Not quite as compact, but good enough.
https://wooting.io/wooting-80he

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dang, I would have loved that in a 75% layout.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Why must you tempt me, Wooting?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

wash bucket posted:

Dang, I would have loved that in a 75% layout.

Check out the Akko MOD007B PC, I've been testing one for work and it's rock-solid + goes on sale for like $107, which is unprecedented for keyboards with Hall effect switches. The customizability is really in-depth too, and it has rapid trigger and pressure-sensitive triggers etc etc. It's not 8000hz but it has Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

change my name posted:

Check out the Akko MOD007B PC

Kinda showing my ignorance here but what is it with mechanical keyboards never being in stock? Or if they are in stock it's a very... particular color or design.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Other than big companies like Razer they are usually made to order or have limited stock as to not sleep on them forever in most instances. That might've changed in more recent years as more and more companies are entering the market as mechanical keyboard retailers vs hobbyists making more custom keyboards

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Kinda showing my ignorance here but what is it with mechanical keyboards never being in stock? Or if they are in stock it's a very... particular color or design.

the market is transitioning from groupbuy insular to mainstream product section

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Mode 65 V2 leaked in their discord yesterday morning. Probably at least 4-8 months out, but stoked. Looks more or less the same as V1, so still a magnetic back piece that can be changed out.

My Zoom 65 V2.5 finally arrived yesterday. I need to build that and my backup Mode Sonnet as soon as I finish taxes this weekend. Might drop picks once they are finished.

Good poo poo, glad I got one from the secondary market because Mode 65 has become my daily driver and it is gorgeous and wonderful.

e: oh the design is incompatible with the R1 65, lol. Classic mode.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 15, 2024

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

ijyt posted:

Good poo poo, glad I got one from the secondary market because Mode 65 has become my daily driver and it is gorgeous and wonderful.

e: oh the design is incompatible with the R1 65, lol. Classic mode.

I've been using mechanical keyboards for years (Das, Razer, Corsair at the moment) and kind of want a new toy, but this my first time hearing of Mode 65. They look really nice, but I'm a little reluctant to spend $300+ on a keyboard. Is the premium price tag mostly due to the customization options and high-quality parts?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
If you want nice, NovelKeys has Box75s on clearance again for 150 bucks.

At 800 dollars it's insane but at 150, well, it's definitely the nicest sun-300 keyboard I own

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

muskrat posted:

I've been using mechanical keyboards for years (Das, Razer, Corsair at the moment) and kind of want a new toy, but this my first time hearing of Mode 65. They look really nice, but I'm a little reluctant to spend $300+ on a keyboard. Is the premium price tag mostly due to the customization options and high-quality parts?

Quality of parts, ease of building, great support, and so on. I have two mode boards (both sonnets and some extra parts) and I’ll be picking up two of the 65’s once they’re released. And then, unless they run a second Event Horizon run, I’m done with keyboard for a hot minute.

I spent three hours this weekend building a zoom 65. It was a nightmare experience. In the end I didn’t even build it, because I realized I needed to put in different switches. Still, if I put three hours into building a mode board? That board is finished.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This is tangentially related to keyboards but I'm not sure where else to post it:

Is there a software or hardware solution to broadcast one hotkey press to up to 12 machines at the same time? There's lots of stuff to control multiple computers with one keyboard and mouse, but that's not the same as what I'm looking for.

The backstory: I work in TV and we need to be able to run 12 playlists with one operator. Normally this would be something that would be built into the automation software we're using but... here we are.

edit: i think i'm looking for a "usb synchronizer". looks like they're primarily used in china for cell phone games

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 18, 2024

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

So for folks not in the discord:

I just gave my Box75 a static shock and now it appears to be hosed.

Normal keyboard:

quote:

sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow

Box75:

quote:

s0p;.h8ikmnx 9ol,f black 1qa\7ujna4rfc5tgvz, j7ujndge m6yhb v9ol,w

It doesn't seem to be coming up in VIA - did I somehow fry the microcontroller or something?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Oh, now it comes up in VIA, and this is the result of me running my fingers from Tab to backslash/pipe:

so, hooray for me, I appear to have hosed It

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

death cob for cutie posted:

So for folks not in the discord:

I just gave my Box75 a static shock and now it appears to be hosed.

Huh, wouldn't have thought a metallic keyboard case might come with hazards. But seems obvious in hindsight, I have aluminum laptop and when ever I approach it I try to discharge in some furthest away from anything delicate. But it doesn't work that well, touching the power button shocks pretty much every time. When plugging in the charge cable I always first touch the USB-C connector jacket.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Oh, now it comes up in VIA, and this is the result of me running my fingers from Tab to backslash/pipe:

Box75 PCB is supposed to have ESD protection so you may want to reach out to someone about that.

You've confirmed on a different computer that it's borked, right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I mean, the physical connections between the rows and columns of the keyboard wiring (well, PCB) to the microcontroller can't have changed due to a shock. Maybe you corrupted the firmware on the microcontroller and could reset it with VIA.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Leave it unplugged overnight and see. A reflash might also do the job :v:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Rexxed posted:

I mean, the physical connections between the rows and columns of the keyboard wiring (well, PCB) to the microcontroller can't have changed due to a shock. Maybe you corrupted the firmware on the microcontroller and could reset it with VIA.

I will try this

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Rexxed posted:

alas,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

have you also cleared the eeprom, you should be able to do it in qmk toolbox

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

diodes blown

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone have any idea what Nuphy is teasing in their IG post?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

repiv posted:

have you also cleared the eeprom, you should be able to do it in qmk toolbox

not really a thing with STM microcontrollers, apparently - although it doesn't matter now because after reflashing it at my home computer, now it's just not being recognized by anything at all when I plug it in and appears to be, effectively, Just Dead instead of Busted, now

so, hooray! time to buy a new PCB I guess

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

They’re officially back and it looks great.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4vKqi8t5p0/?igsh=MWR2aDRjdTVvZzAxag==

Pre order starts next month according to discord. Ships in 2 months.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I ordered a gem 80 through nuphy’s site on Wednesday and never got a confirmation email. I used Amazon pay and got an email from amazon, but nothing from nuphy. Is that normal?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

To follow up on my last post, I never got any kind of email about it, but my gem 80 arrived in four days.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiP6aLpHYfg

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Yep. So many combos look like fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My daily driver for the past couple years has been the original Mode65 and I do love it, but it kills me a bit inside that they've fixed pretty much every issue I have with it in this version and I don't have the heart to buy another god drat keyboard lol :smith:

... Anyway, my Meletrix Zoom98 arrived a week ago and I still need to get some switches. I mentioned a while back that I wanted a deep knocky sound and someone suggested nylon switches for that. What are some good ones to look for? Generally prefer tactiles but I'm sound chasing here so I'll learn to tolerate mushy linears if I need to.