Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Received my mechanical keyboard a little earlier than expected and had the opportunity to test it out over these past 2 days.

My typing error rate went up immensely. I was hitting maybe 70-ish WPM but dropped down to 40-ish on this new keeb, with my right hand being responsible for most of the wrong keypresses. I blame it on the fact that the keyboard layout is a little spread out more than I'm used to (I use a Lenovo laptop and Macbook Pro daily). Evidence pointing to the layout being the culprit comes from my attempts to correct my mistakes: whilst fixing a typo, my fingers instinctively hit the wrong key again and again until I shift my right hand to the right a bit. I am also getting used to how much force is needed to activate the keys. Sometimes my finger brushes over two keys and both register as hits and sometimes what I thought is the same amount of force won't register as a press.

Can't say I'm very happy with my purchase but still at the very least I'm kinda satisfied. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

So only a couple of weeks ago I got myself a Vortex Core cause I wanted a smaller keyboard but didn't want to live without a number pad or arrow keys. About that...

Typing with an ortholinear keyboard was weird at first, but after exclusively using it for a week I'm fully up to speed at normal typing, and sort of getting there with special symbols and layers. "Programming" my own layers has been fun and I actually have both a number pad and arrow keys by simply pressing a button. It's pretty sweet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nondescript Van posted:

Did somebody say crazy person?

what is this beautiful creation

all of it

in detail

you have to tell me

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Seriously? but they're through hole... If you're building your own board, couldn't you just swap LED's and not housings?
Asking because I just bought an Anne Pro and my plan is to swap all the Blue Gaterons for Clear Cherry switches.

I remember reading somewhere that while Clears are through hole, something about the housing makes the 4-pin RGB LEDs not able to fit. Also, the PCB needs to have the holes for the 4-pin RGB LEDs as well, and I don't think the Anne Pro does as it uses SMD LEDs as far as I know.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Just join the BOX Heavy master race if you want LEDs. Burnt Orange is just a touch heavier than Clear, and the housing is specifically designed to work with LEDs, specifically SMD but they can probably fit a regular one in the gap. The only downside I've found to the BOX series is that you can't o-ring them. And that Pale Blue is abusively loud and high pitched when the click happens.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

G-Prime posted:

The only downside I've found to the BOX series is that you can't o-ring them.

Not what most people think of for O-rings, but here's a pretty good equivalent sound-dampening method for BOX switches. I've done this for Browns and Royals and been very satisfied with the results. I might get some Burnt Oranges and try them in the future too

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Deviant posted:

what is this beautiful creation

all of it

in detail

you have to tell me

The top board is a Clueboard 2x 1800 with box jades on most keys, box navy on space, and box royals on modifiers and right numpads. I had a brass plate cut because the box switches are plate mount only and the kit did not include a plate (I'm guessing so you could see all the stupid memes all over it).

The bottom board is an Iris with the gold pcb plate and case, also using box royals and jades since I appear to have purchased way too many of each (I still have enough for 2 more smaller boards).

The two keyset are SA Miami and SA Miami night, both from kbdfans.com.

For anybody wondering, box royals with SA caps feel like a smoother Matias quiet click (and a little heavier). Jades are loud as gently caress and are great. You get a click on the downstroke and upstroke.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Dang, is that how loud Matias "Quiet" Clicks are? Guess I won't need to try one now

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just got my unicomp Model M Ultra and I love it.

Even the texture of the keys is the same as what I remember from the brief time I used my roommates Model M in college. To me nothing is better than typing on buckling springs. I love how much weight the keys have and how quick the actuation is once you get past that resistance point. It really makes typing so much more satisfying and accurate imho.

I will say that when I got it 2 of the keycaps had become dislodged but I just put them back in place and now it's fine. Also the backspace key is pretty warped on the sides and looks like it didn't come out of the mold correctly. It's the only key that has this issue and the rest are fine. Do you think unicomp would send me a replacement cap if I complained to them?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

64bit_Dophins posted:

Do you think unicomp would send me a replacement cap if I complained to them?

Yes.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Ok cool I'll send them an email.

I'll post a pic in here when I get home. Seriously this key is hosed.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My friend's selling a Azio Retro Classic USB keyboard, which looks amazing and I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm reading reviews too and will check it out in person, of course, but anything I should know about the keyboard? I checked the front page and a couple pages back only, so if it was discussed in the middle of this thread I would have missed it.

Sidenote: This thread is amazing, and you all have amazing designs. I only have a Filco Majestouch II (I think?), but I'm inspired to get some custom keycaps thanks to the posts.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

If it matches your aesthetic taste, I think you'll be happy with it. If you get tired of the circular keys, it should be easy to swap the key caps.

Which colorway is it? Apparently they come in black/silver, black/copper, and white/copper. There's also apparently one that comes with a wood frame too

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So I'm a hoarder that has been coming to terms with my hoarding and I've been clearing out a lot of stuff.

I recently dug up an old ducky keyboard from 2011 that uses green alps switches that broke when I was moving a few years back.

The F6 key and the spacebar key broke off in the switch. I've searched everywhere for replacement keycaps for these switches but I haven't been able to find any.

Does anyone know where I can find some? I really only need a replacement spacebar because tbh I never use the F6 key (like most people I would imagine).

I seriously am having such a hard time sourcing replacement caps for green alps switches.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I'm a hoarder that has been coming to terms with my hoarding and I've been clearing out a lot of stuff.

I recently dug up an old ducky keyboard from 2011 that uses green alps switches that broke when I was moving a few years back.

The F6 key and the spacebar key broke off in the switch. I've searched everywhere for replacement keycaps for these switches but I haven't been able to find any.

Does anyone know where I can find some? I really only need a replacement spacebar because tbh I never use the F6 key (like most people I would imagine).

I seriously am having such a hard time sourcing replacement caps for green alps switches.

Not sure if you're conveniently located in the world for shipping purposes, but MechanicalKeyboards.com has Alps keycap sets.

I'd be more concerned about the key stems being stuck in the switches. Were you able to clear those out?

Finally, for my fellow :spergin: keeb weebs, this Ducky used Alps clones made by Xiang Min.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

64bit_Dophins posted:

let it go, friend. you don't need a seven year old keyboard

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Not sure if you're conveniently located in the world for shipping purposes, but MechanicalKeyboards.com has Alps keycap sets.

I'd be more concerned about the key stems being stuck in the switches. Were you able to clear those out?

Finally, for my fellow :spergin: keeb weebs, this Ducky used Alps clones made by Xiang Min.

I'm not really sure how I would go about clearing them out honestly? Should I just pull them out with with tweezers? I honestly haven't tried but I imagine that I would risk damaging the switch.

I know that most people generally don't seem to care much for alps switches but I really liked them personally and I would like to have the board to use at work. That said however, I spent $40 on the board back in the day and I don't know if I could justify spending upwards of $30 on replacement caps (especially if the plastic being stuck in the switch rendered it unfixable).

edit: I'll post some pictures of it when I get home.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 20, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gay Horney posted:

Nah it's good for another 20, 30+ years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If your keyboard ain’t from the 1980’s it ain’t poo poo. :colbert:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Gay Horney posted:

No way, old keyboards own, especially one with switches that aren't made anymore!

So I'm getting chatter in the O key on my main keyboard resulting in doubling inputs. Anyone have any suggestions on things to try before removing and replacing the switch completely?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Cherry MX silent switches with greased Costar stabilizers sounds so freaking good. I swapped some silent switches into an old CM board and put my SA caps on it and it's like a perfect whispery thock so I think I'm going to keep it this way. I really wish I had lubed the switches before I put everything together though, the signature Cherry MX graininess is so much more apparent in a linear switch than it is in a tactile switch.

edit: this post is useless without audio: https://clyp.it/farwiz10

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 25, 2018

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I don't know about US service, but mechanicalkeyboards.com's service to Canada is rough. They charged $31 shipping on a $115 Ducky board and I figured that would be pretty quick service at that price, but apparently it's FedEx's economy service. drat thing has been riding on the back of a burro since the 19th and is still on the way to the destination country. It's going to take over half a month to get here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They are actually local to me but too far of a drive since they are only monday through friday and match my work hours

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

So I bought one of these -> http://a.co/6IwYde6 and I am very happy with it, a 100% cherry MX red for <$40 bucks? Sold!

Only problem is the keycaps aren't super awesome. So I went looking to buy some keycaps, and it seems like a set of keycaps are way more expensive than this entire assembled board, which is a bit of a head-scratcher for me.

Is there a source for good keycaps for a reasonable price or should I just deal with these?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dietrich posted:

So I bought one of these -> http://a.co/6IwYde6 and I am very happy with it, a 100% cherry MX red for <$40 bucks? Sold!

Only problem is the keycaps aren't super awesome. So I went looking to buy some keycaps, and it seems like a set of keycaps are way more expensive than this entire assembled board, which is a bit of a head-scratcher for me.

Is there a source for good keycaps for a reasonable price or should I just deal with these?

There's a lot of inexpensive keycap sets. The expensive sets are usually doubleshot PBT (although some are doubleshot ABS). ABS will wear smooth in months or years while PBT resists it for much longer so it's considered better, but it also warps while cooling so it can be harder for companies to produce space bars. There's a premium on PBT caps. Some keycaps are also not doubleshot and just had pad printing on them, which will wear off relatively quickly. Some are also laser etched and infilled with some paint which can discolor over time but lasts a lot longer than pad printing.

Anyway, you should get colors and legends you like, but try to get at least ABS doubleshot. Pad printing and etching isn't as common as it once was, at least in enthusiast keycap sets (it still comes that way on lots of keyboards to save manufacturing costs or because it's good enough for a retail POS or whatever).
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=cherry+mx+keycaps&_sacat=0

I think my most expensive set was the Sanctuary set which I got right before Diablo 3 released (from a groupbuy, not massdrop, but they're probably the same maker):
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sanctuary-dcs-keyset

My favorite colors and legends remain a dark dolch style, though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You can get keycap sets on sites like Banggood and Aliexpress for pretty cheap. I have this set on one of my keyboards and while the legends are fading it feels pretty good to type on. 30 bucks is a pretty hard price point for a full set of good keycaps though.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hi. Want to get a mechanical keyboard, no frills except maybe a backlight. I've been eyeing the Ducky One 2 with the blue leds and blue switches. Good first mechanical keyboard choice?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

If it's anything at all like its predecessor, the Ducky One, then yes, that is a very good first choice.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

If it's anything at all like its predecessor, the Ducky One, then yes, that is a very good first choice.

As far as I know it is, except for seamless key font. I would have gotten either the One or the Shine 6 but I think those keycaps look poo poo.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Could always get a nice keycap set that costs almost twice the keyboard itself :homebrew:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Get a magicforce 68

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Could always get a nice keycap set that costs almost twice the keyboard itself :homebrew:

no worries I'll need another one for work, I can throw more money at the black hole of keyboards then

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are some good websites for nice keycaps? Price doesn't matter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Massdrop

Mechanicalkeyboards.com

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
If you want designs on your keycaps, this site has a bunch. I've also seen their sets on Massdrop.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I get a lot from pimpmykeyboard.com - they have the dumbest website name but I love the DSA key caps.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Megasabin posted:

What are some good websites for nice keycaps? Price doesn't matter.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com - official storefront of Signature Plastics despite the name

https://en.zfrontier.com/ - runs quite a few group buys (based in China and awesome)

Massdrop - runs quite a few group buys as well

https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=70.0 - Geekhack group buy forum where group buys are started

r/mechmarket - community-run group buys are also mostly mentioned here as well

https://www.originativeco.com/ - they have a couple of exclusive keycap runs that either ran a long time ago via group buys, or exclusive ones where they organized a private run for retail

https://kono.store - Input Club's retail site, they've started to run a few group buys for keycaps as well

Catacombs
Jul 3, 2018

My daily driver at work is a Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional2:

And when I get home, I use a Kinesis Advantage 2:

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

New keycaps arrived before my keycap puller did. Thankfully the round steampunk/typewriter style keycaps that originally came with the keyboard are easy to pull out with my fingers, although that made my fingers hurt since the plastic is so thin.

The edges are kinda sharp but in general I like how the new keycaps feel on my fingers. My keyboard is much more pleasant to use now. The new keycaps definitely helped with the typos. I'm not a big fan of how the white LED backlight makes the white keycaps look especially when there's no overhead light but I can always turn the backlight off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So what's the deal with these $275-$300 boards that WASD sells? Do they gently caress or something?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-abs-hyperfuse-origins-mechanical-keyboard.html

Or is the price increase due to the double shot keycaps being made with 'original cherry machinery from Germany'. Does that really make a difference somehow or is that mostly just to suck in keyboard super nerds?

I mean..... I kinda really want one..... I'm not sure why exactly but... it's gotta be legit right?