Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Sacred Cow posted:

Mostly just curious about the quality of the keycaps. The stock Poker keycaps are pretty solid but this will be my first DSA profile. Has the odd size of the right hand keys thrown you off at all?

I already have a 10 key off to the side of my other boards so I’m not too worried about that. Plus after being on the Poker for a while I’m used to not having one.

The only thing I ever really get thrown off by is the order of home/pgup/pgdn/end. I don't tend to use Fn or right Alt, though, so I may not be the best person to ask, sorry :v: I've not had any problems with right Ctrl or Shift.

The caps feel quite nice to me! They seem nice and solid, though I don't have any other experience with keycaps other than laptops or $15 Logitech keyboard poo poo. I like DSA, but that might be because I grew up mostly using laptops, so the uniform height feels much more natural to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are the differences between the different Topre keyboards: Leopold, Typeforce, Realforce Doubleshot, Realforce 87U?

What is the best place to buy a topre board?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
[

Megasabin posted:

What are the differences between the different Topre keyboards: Leopold, Typeforce, Realforce Doubleshot, Realforce 87U?

What is the best place to buy a topre board?

Hhkb 2 pro- unique layout uniform 35g domes

Leopoldo - unique layout uniform 35g domes

Realforce - standard tkl layout but variable switches to help with touch typing, comes in 2 additional varieties the 55g uniform and the ek 45g uniform.

It depends, I have a black hhkb pro that needs to be cleaned and probably re-lubed to make it feel “new” but it works fine that I would let go for a discount if any goon wanted it. I imported my 55g Realforce from some website I can dig up when I get home.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

I've ordered from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com twice without issue.

Massdrop also has a drop for the 104-key, variable weight, silenced Topre that ends tomorrow ($275 in case you can't see the price).

Bumpy Johnson fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 8, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking of buying a DZ60 fully built sans caps with PCB backlighting and 62g Tactile Outemu Ice with a blue metal case. Okay deal for 100AUD (74USD)?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

BurritoJustice posted:

Thinking of buying a DZ60 fully built sans caps with PCB backlighting and 62g Tactile Outemu Ice with a blue metal case. Okay deal for 100AUD (74USD)?

Considering if you built this yourself, it'll cost:

DZ60 PCB: ~$30 USD
68 switches: ~$25 USD
Aluminium case: ~$50 USD

This is going off of typical prices at KBDFans. I'd say go for it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Constellation I posted:

Considering if you built this yourself, it'll cost:

DZ60 PCB: ~$30 USD
68 switches: ~$25 USD
Aluminium case: ~$50 USD

This is going off of typical prices at KBDFans. I'd say go for it.

The blokes gone with the crazy split spacebar layout, got any PBT set recommendations to use with it? Fully willing to get AE knockoffs

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Sacred Cow posted:

Mostly just curious about the quality of the keycaps. The stock Poker keycaps are pretty solid but this will be my first DSA profile. Has the odd size of the right hand keys thrown you off at all?

I already have a 10 key off to the side of my other boards so I’m not too worried about that. Plus after being on the Poker for a while I’m used to not having one.

I have a race 3 that I love. The right hand keys felt super natural after a short while. The keycaps are very nice too, solid quality. I fell in love with the DSA profile instantly, but I prefer my keyboard flat so YMMV.

Does anyone here have any experience with the box royals or burnt orange? I'm considering giving em a whirl in an upcoming keyboard project.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

forkbucket posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the box royals or burnt orange? I'm considering giving em a whirl in an upcoming keyboard project.

I use BOX Royals on my K-Type now. They're definitely the most tactile switch I've typed on. Bump starts at the top, has a relatively high force to push past, then it's a quick sharp snap down to bottom-out zone. It has a weird heavy-yet-light feel to it, but I kind of like that.

I had one BOX Burnt Orange on the spacebar of a board of BOX Browns. It had a nice round bump and was pretty smooth, definitely tactile too.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I use BOX Royals on my K-Type now. They're definitely the most tactile switch I've typed on. Bump starts at the top, has a relatively high force to push past, then it's a quick sharp snap down to bottom-out zone. It has a weird heavy-yet-light feel to it, but I kind of like that.

I had one BOX Burnt Orange on the spacebar of a board of BOX Browns. It had a nice round bump and was pretty smooth, definitely tactile too.

BOX Royals work really well with the the stock K-type and GMK key caps. I was trying out a few Aliaz 80/100g switches too, and while the royal has more of a bump, the Aliaz have me curious what a heavier spring in a royal might be.

I’ve personally found the BOX Burnt Orange to be less tactile than the Kailh Heavy Burnt Orange switches, but boxes are all the rage now for aftermarket switches :v

mewse
May 2, 2006

Opinions on replacing AEKII switches with new matias switches? Existing alps cream switches are really dirty and grindy

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Can anyone discuss differences between SA, DSA, original cherry, and OEM keycap profiles?

Like, how do they all generally feel different from one another?

I've heard SA are extremely uncomfortable to type on as they are basically the same keycaps found on your mamma's old typewriter but the DSA keycaps 'might' have a comfort advantage versus OEM or original cherry profile?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
In order of comfort (IMO of course) it's Cherry > OEM > DSA > SA. Chart here if you want to see the difference: http://i.imgur.com/kFxqOm8.jpg

Cherry and OEM are both cylindrical profiles, in that the top of the keycap is shaped like an inverse cylinder. The main difference is that Cherry profile keycaps are shorter which is (again, IMO) more comfortable to type on if you don't hover your hands while you type. DSA and SA are both spherical profile, the top of the keycap cups your fingertip on all sides as you type. SA is a super high profile and DSA is a super low profile. Also DSA is uniform height so the keys on the number row will be the same height and shape as the keys on the middle/bottom row. SA is very different heights and shapes between rows which you can see in the chart. Flat profile vs sculpted profile is definitely a preference thing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bumpy Johnson posted:

I've ordered from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com twice without issue.

Massdrop also has a drop for the 104-key, variable weight, silenced Topre that ends tomorrow ($275 in case you can't see the price).

Do the silenced versions lose any tactility or anything else?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sacred Cow posted:

Does anyone have the Votex Race? I’m thinking of selling my non-backlit Poker 3 with Clears for one of these.
The Race 3 with Clears is my work keyboard. I love it, and the caps are pretty great.

The only downside is that it's VERY expensive to cover with accurate custom caps, if you can even find a drop that supports it. In the year or so I've had mine I've seen two drops that supported the weird-sized Esc, Del and mods, and it would have been over $200 USD.

But I do find the larger Del key very satisfying when purging my work email...

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

The blokes gone with the crazy split spacebar layout, got any PBT set recommendations to use with it? Fully willing to get AE knockoffs

Split spacebar makes things tough since you'll have to pay extra for compatibility sets, depending on the profile you get.

EnjoyPBT 9009's are arriving for me next week: https://kbdfans.cn/products/pre-orderenjoypbt-9009-keycaps-set

A lot of compatibility in the base set there but there's so many ways you can do split spacebars, so check if you'll have the right keycaps.

There's also XDA Oblique which is using AEK style keycaps but on XDA profile. I'm personally not too big of a fan of XDA, but might get it anyway lol. There's compatibility sets there that should be good for split spacebars but it'll cost you.

Available on Zfrontier, but this time around they're partnering with local sellers to help with the group buy.

https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/keysets/products/xda-oblique

Other than those, any good GMK Cherry profile set (good ABS > cheap PBT all day) or a DSA set should be good, but it's all personal preference.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Do the silenced versions lose any tactility or anything else?

Can't speak to that personally, but looking at a couple reviews, it looks like it feels the same, just quieter.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Can anyone recommend me a 60-65% kit? (the kind with the arrow keys squished in) I am grieving the loss of my low-profile Kailh board from Amazon that has a dying switch and I want to rebound into something completely unreasonable.

I have my heart set on Jade switches, and eventually the Danger Zone keycaps floating around massdrop, but who knows if/when that will ever happen again

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 9, 2018

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

btw are there any keycaps with that big center lettering that you see on SA/DSA for cherry/oem?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Magicforce keyboard that was recommended to me a couple pages back arrived this morning and I really enjoy typing on it already (which is probably why I'm being verbose on this post, sorry!). It definitely needs different keycaps though, these look like something out of a cheap 90s sci-fi film. I checked some of the links in the OP; but can anyone recommend some websites which sell keycaps at a reasonable price? I mostly just want something super colorful, like a gradient pattern.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maxkeyboard will sell you a set with per-key color choice for $20. No idea on the quality though.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Montalvo posted:

The Magicforce keyboard that was recommended to me a couple pages back arrived this morning and I really enjoy typing on it already (which is probably why I'm being verbose on this post, sorry!). It definitely needs different keycaps though, these look like something out of a cheap 90s sci-fi film. I checked some of the links in the OP; but can anyone recommend some websites which sell keycaps at a reasonable price? I mostly just want something super colorful, like a gradient pattern.

If you're looking for super colorful fully customized keycap sets, check out WASDkeyboards.com. With them you are limited to standard UV coated ABS keycaps which are totally fine and decent enough for most keyboard nerds at $50 shipped. Pick whatever colors you want out of their selection. You can even customize the color of the keycap lettering.

Other more exotic keycap sets are gonna run you anywhere from $100-$200 and all those sets are typically mass drop group buys or sold by semi-sketchy 3rd party sites after the mass drop run is done. I think pimpmykeyboard.com and mechanicalkeyboards.com carry some of the less popular GMK cherry profile keycap sets, but again they are pricey.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not looking to go too fancy/pricy for this first set; I just want something that'll replace these hideous keycaps for the time being.

Quick dumb question time: the Magicforce is a 68 key keyboard which doesn't seem to be one of the options most websites offer when picking keycaps. Should I buy an 87 key set instead? Is there also some way to customize where the function key labels are printed?

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 9, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Gotta say I disagree on getting keycaps from WASD. They're thin ABS, the exact same ones you get stock from mainstream gaming keyboards. If you're going for custom printing, the print is pretty fuzzy and low-res. If you need it for functional use (like NLE keyboard shortcuts, etc) then go for it. But if you're doing it for aesthetics, then maybe look elsewhere.

For cheap decent sets, go for Tai Hao keycaps, which has better ABS and PBT options. They're sold at mechanicalkeyboards.com and almost everywhere else.

For other keycaps, I think I had a list in my post history here.

mewse
May 2, 2006

For backlit pbt there's a bunch of aliexpress shops that have sets identifiable with a "CapsLock" legend that are really good

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Montalvo posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not looking to go too fancy/pricy for this first set; I just want something that'll replace these hideous keycaps for the time being.

Quick dumb question time: the Magicforce is a 68 key keyboard which doesn't seem to be one of the options most websites offer when picking keycaps. Should I buy an 87 key set instead? Is there also some way to customize where the function key labels are printed?

You have a bog standard keycap set so whatever you buy should work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Q75JZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks! I'm probably going to pick up some PBT caps from Amazon or Mechanical Keyboards soon. Very tempted by this or this.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 9, 2018

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there anyway to get those Taiho keycaps blank? I like the sunshine and rainbow sets, but I'd want them without any letters.

mewse
May 2, 2006

They're doubleshots so they don't exist without the legends. Best bet would be to find a similar colorway in blanks from another manufacturer

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Unicomp Ultra trip report: It's good

The Pros: After about two weeks I can say that I really enjoy the keyboard. The actuation is very accurate and satisfying. The keys have the perfect amount of resistance and the keytravel and overall feel is exactly what I remember from using a model m back in college.

The cons: A few of the keycaps (namely the "minus" key on the numpad and the backspace key) have molding issues that have been commonly reported on the unicomp boards. I looked it up and apparently they're using the same Lexmark molds from the mid to late 90s so these manufacturing inconsistencies are common. I have contacted them about it and they are sending me replacement caps but this is still something to consider.

Also the keyboard stands (the little switchs on the back that you use to elevate the keyboard) feel REALLY cheap. I can already tell that these are eventually going to break and I'm prepared to have to super glue them or jerry rig something to keep the keyboard elevated in the future. I don't know about you guys but I need my keyboard elevated to type properly.

Another thing you should consider is that the model Ms aren't 'truly mechanical' and you can still only register two key presses at a time. I didn't really notice this while I was typing on the keyboard even though I am a very fast typist (120-140wpm) because the force required to press the keys is such that it's pretty hard to accidentally press 2 keys at once.

Also also also - don't buy this board for gaming it's no better than a membrane board.

Outside of these things I'm pretty satisfied with the keyboard. I just wanted something under $100 that would be good for typing/data entry. I tried bringing it to work but got a bunch of complaints from my clients about the sound of the keyboard during conference calls. I have since switched back to the lenovo standard keyboard (the non-chicklet one) which is still my favorite rubber dome keyboard. I've been using the unicomp on my personal computer when I work from home though and it has been great so far.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't think anyone has ever purchased a Model M for gaming

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think anyone has ever purchased a Model M for gaming

Yes I know but honestly given the length of a key travel I honestly think you might be better off with a regular rubber dome keyboard. It really is that bad imo

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Isn't it 2 key rollover as well?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Don Lapre posted:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Another thing you should consider is that the model Ms aren't 'truly mechanical' and you can still only register two key presses at a time. I didn't really notice this while I was typing on the keyboard even though I am a very fast typist (120-140wpm) because the force required to press the keys is such that it's pretty hard to accidentally press 2 keys at once.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah, although the WASD area doesn't have a huge amount of conflict. I used to game on my unicomp a lot and it was mostly a problem when I wanted to hit tab or use other keys. It was my main reason to switch to a more modern keyboard. Of course at the time I thought getting a 122 key model f (which have n-key rollover) on ebay for ~130 bucks was too expensive, and now five years later they go for almost $300. D'oh.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, although the WASD area doesn't have a huge amount of conflict. I used to game on my unicomp a lot and it was mostly a problem when I wanted to hit tab or use other keys. It was my main reason to switch to a more modern keyboard. Of course at the time I thought getting a 122 key model f (which have n-key rollover) on ebay for ~130 bucks was too expensive, and now five years later they go for almost $300. D'oh.

In CSGO for example if you're crouching and moving forward you will not be able to bring up the leader board (ctrl+w+tab).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I popped in some new keycaps and the typing (like the switches) feels a tiny tiny bit different. Is this just a phsychological effect or did I somehow gently caress up my keyboard like an imbecile?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I gamed on my Model M's for years. It's workable for sure, not the best though. Better than rubber dome though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Montalvo posted:

I popped in some new keycaps and the typing (like the switches) feels a tiny tiny bit different. Is this just a phsychological effect or did I somehow gently caress up my keyboard like an imbecile?

Thicker caps will make things feel different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Finally had my first situation where having hotswap switches actually mattered. My enter key started randomly dropping presses. Gave it a few days to see if I was just typing badly, and then just got mad and ripped out the switch and swapped in a spare. Problem solved. Feels good, man.