Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This set has every variation and mod imaginable. Piles of extra keys. 1.75U, 2.25U and 2.75U spacebars (and regular large sizes) ... but no 2U spacebar.

I'm half-tempted to take apart the whole drat thing and switch to 2x1U ... but not tonight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Does anyone have any experience ordering from https://kprepublic.com/collections/keycaps ? Looking at their keycap sets - they look to ship from China?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

skylined! posted:

Does anyone have any experience ordering from https://kprepublic.com/collections/keycaps ? Looking at their keycap sets - they look to ship from China?

Yes, they're a good and reliable seller. Just make sure you're ordering good quality stuff though. Their product selection is pretty massive but some of the things they stock are pretty poo poo.

I've never used their website though and just order through their official AliExpress store. I think you get more buyer protection and some items are cheaper through there.

https://kprepublic.aliexpress.com/store/3034003

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Am I gonna buy that new Oblivion drop or not :shepspends:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

skylined! posted:

I've ordered from them a few times. One time they sent me a defective item and accused me of modifying it myself. I had to send them a ton of photographic evidence of everything to get them to replace the item and it took nearly a month to get the whole thing sorted out. Other than that though they've been fine.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

You misspelled 'Navies'.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Lord Stimperor posted:

Am I gonna buy that new Oblivion drop or not :shepspends:

This but /dev/tty MT3 for an ortho keeb I haven’t yet decided to order.

While I already have an ergodox set coming for which I have the switches but no board either.

loving rabbit hole...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I bought a full-size reddragon keyboard from Amazon. I really like it but it dies after waking from sleep (win10)

What's a good replacement? Looking for a full-size keyboard with zero gimmicks. Just good mechanical keys and no weird buttons or fn keys.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like yours is defective, why not just exchange it?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Yup, sounds defective or a bad cable.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

I bought a Lunar65 with orange ALPS for probably too much but goddam is it satisfying to type on.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Heya, fellas. I initially posted this in the short questions megathread, but they also suggested I come here. So here it is:

quote:

Do you guys know if there is a way to repair a key on a mechanical keyboard. I have a blackwidow ultimate 2013 that I bought secondhand a few years ago. Good board, just when I got it, the right arrow key didn't work. I popped off the cap and depressed the switch a bunch, but it still doesn't work. Is there any way to even diagnose a problem like that? I have no idea when or how it stopped working, since I bought it in this state.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Narzack posted:

Heya, fellas. I initially posted this in the short questions megathread, but they also suggested I come here. So here it is:

Disassemble the keyboard and find the two through-hole contacts where the switch is soldered to the PCB. If the keyboard is plugged in and you bridge those contacts with a short piece of wire, and it registers as a keypress, then the PCB is fine and the problem is with the switch. You can desolder the switch and replace it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Alright, I'm finally updating some of the keyboard recs on here like I keep meaning too. There's a bunch of ones I gotta replace, and what I wanna ask for right now is for y'all to suggest the cheapest decent quality full-size keyboard you know about. WASD is very nice and all but it's a bit like telling someone whose never driven before to buy a BMW.

I'd also like to hear what people think of various switch brands because I wanna update the switch quality guidelines.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Narzack posted:

mewse posted:

Disassemble the keyboard and find the two through-hole contacts where the switch is soldered to the PCB. If the keyboard is plugged in and you bridge those contacts with a short piece of wire, and it registers as a keypress, then the PCB is fine and the problem is with the switch. You can desolder the switch and replace it.

Yeah, most likely this. Chances are you won't be able to repair whatever part is broken inside the switch, but it's not too hard to desolder and replace the whole switch. I did, after all, and I don't really solder stuff.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Alright, I'm finally updating some of the keyboard recs on here like I keep meaning too. There's a bunch of ones I gotta replace, and what I wanna ask for right now is for y'all to suggest the cheapest decent quality full-size keyboard you know about. WASD is very nice and all but it's a bit like telling someone whose never driven before to buy a BMW.

I'd also like to hear what people think of various switch brands because I wanna update the switch quality guidelines.

Ducky makes very good fullsize keyboards (e.g., One, One 2) that are significantly cheaper than WASD.

Kailh is good now, sometimes very good. Zeal switches seem to be the current hotness for people with large budgets, but there's no denying their quality. I've also heard good things about the Outemu Ice and Sky switches, but I have no personal experience with them.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Thank you, updated the keyboard quick picks finally.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think my current switch tier list is something like boutique/modded/vintage switches (Zeal, Holy whatevers, vintage Cherry black) > Gateron/Aliaz/Kailh BOX/Hako/Halo/MOD > Retooled Cherry/Kailh/Outemu > pre-retool Cherry/Razer/Romer-G

IMO if you don't know what you want you can't go wrong with any Gateron or Kailh BOX switches. Gateron Yellows for linear, BOX Royals for tactile, and BOX Jades for clicky are all great options without having to modify switches or pay Zeal prices.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've never gotten to use a truely nice keyboard, but the full size velocifire Brown has me and a couple others I've seen in this thread as mechanical converts for only $40.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Oh also, how is the turn around on WoodKeys orders normally? I know there's a lot of waiting around in this hobby but I ordered a purpleheart wrist rest back in March or April and haven't heard a peep since.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any good blank, >=100% ISO layout keyboards with Cherry browns you can orders in Europe?

Fliptwist
Mar 16, 2001

I'm fat, black, cranky, and menopausal! You do NOT want to mess with me!
Pillbug

Oh also, how is the turn around on WoodKeys orders normally? I know there's a lot of waiting around in this hobby but I ordered a purpleheart wrist rest back in March or April and haven't heard a peep since.

I haven't used them personally but they seem to have some fulfillment issues and the mech world seems a bit wary of them now.

From April 2019:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bavi21/lets_have_a_conversation_about_woodkeys/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, I love my Velocifire TKL01 to the end of the universe and beyond. Typing on it just feels right. It has Outemu Brown switches and comes with a key puller; I assume this means the keycaps are replaceable, unless it's all a cruel hoax. How do I figure out which key profile keycaps will fit?

This is madness, I tell you. Madness.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, I love my Velocifire TKL01 to the end of the universe and beyond. Typing on it just feels right. It has Outemu Brown switches and comes with a key puller; I assume this means the keycaps are replaceable, unless it's all a cruel hoax. How do I figure out which key profile keycaps will fit?

Anything with cherry compatible stems (i.e. most things) should work. Iirc different profiles don't have different footprints. Be warned though that most keycap sets cost some to many times what that keyboard does.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As ItBreathes said, if it's Cherry MX, practically all keycaps will fit. Search on AliExpress for keycaps; among Cherry MX keycaps, the term 'profile' mostly refers to the shape of the keycap itself. That is, flat DSA, spherical tall SA, flat but shaped Cherry profile, or manufacturer-dependent OEM, and all the others in-between like XDA and MD. Not that they're the only vendor, but kbdfans have a shop that offers a nice, wide selection to narrow down what you're looking for.

Unlike what ItBreathes said, keycaps don't have to cost you a kidney. For instance, Maxkey makes very nice SA keycaps that used to be sold for less than $100 for very large sets. They're not quite as fancy as the originals that Signature Plastics are/were making, what with some sets having a slightly offset kerning on one or two keys, but honestly I didn't notice that until someone pointed it out to me. These days their sets may cost a little bit more than 100 though, don't know for sure.

Tai Hao makes OEM-like sets that have a really good reputation, and I think they can be had starting at $30 or so.

Cherry and DSA profile keycap sets are incredibly easy to find, both in cheap and expensive. The cheap ones inevitably will be very thin and may have legends that wear off, but that might not bother you. The cheapest ones are typically also ugly, though (I'm looking at all those Dolch clones with lovely legends).

Expensive keycaps generally have thicker material, and their legends are more resistant to wear. Thickness of the keycaps will probably make the sound nicer to you, a bit deeper and rounder. They typically also feel nicer, more chunky. But even the cheaper ones are plenty good in my experience. So imo don't feel that you have to spend large amounts of money to get started; there's a decent chance that you'll like an affordable set as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just installed some backlit cherry-profile caps and they seem very, very nice (especially at that price point)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't want a full set; I want to do small things like this: https://kbdfans.cn/collections/cherry-profile/products/pbt-dye-subbed-spacebar-6-25u?variant=17322630840378

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

For keys >1u (1u is the size of a normal key), you'll have to make sure its compatible with the kind of stabilizers your board uses. Cherry uses additional stems not attached to a switch, but some cheap, otherwise cherry compatible boards use a metal wire instead which can be hard to find keys for.

My own velocifires use cherry-style stabilizers so you should be good, but it's something to be cognizant of.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Finally got the case I wanted for my 60 and I think I'm done building keyboards for the forseeable future

This thing is thick

The wood is walnut and is not as reddish as as it looks in the picture, I think my desk mat is throwing everything off.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Nice, which wood case is that? I got a couple of spare DZ60's lying around that probably needs a home.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Constellation I posted:

Nice, which wood case is that? I got a couple of spare DZ60's lying around that probably needs a home.

It's this one: https://kprepublic.com/products/woo...xd64-poker-2-60

And the one review is right, the mounting standoffs are kind of trash.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 19, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

I started off on this piece of genericness: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076F4T4T4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Not awful, it's got hot-swappable Outemu Browns and the board will fit any Cherry MX clone. It has nifty LED effects. For $38 it's not a bad investment to see if you want to get clacky - you can pick between blues, reds, and browns for switches if you don't mind the colorways. The manual is absolutely awful but it's eventually figure-outable.

I think I may have asked this, but is anyone aware of a way to just get a single custom one-off keycap made? It seems like it's an emphatic no, so I might resort to some scale modeling stuff - paint a spare keycap, topcoat it with gloss, make some custom decals with inkjet decal film, apply decal, topcoat, and seal with flat clear lacquer.

I really want a Windows 98 Start logo key on a Tai-Hao Miami pink key, but it's looking like a job for some color-matching trial and error more so than however much $ it's gonna cost to have a doubleshot key made.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 19, 2019

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

mewse posted:

Is this doable for a dude who has never taken apart a keyboard or soldered anything before?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It is. But the chances of doing a good job dramatically increase if you watch a bunch of videos on doing it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Narzack posted:

Is this doable for a dude who has never taken apart a keyboard or soldered anything before?

I got a cheapy soldering iron + solder sucker kit from amazon and successfully replaced all the switches on a full size keyboard. Learned by watching youtube videos. It's really not hard.

e: tedious but not hard

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Narzack posted:

You can always practice soldering and desoldering on broken electronics. (though most electronics nowadays come lead-free solder which is a bit harder to desolder)

But I think the problem you're going to come across is mostly during disassembly. Some keyboards are just not meant to be taken apart without breaking poo poo off. Hopefully that keyboard is easy enough to disassemble.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Desoldering that many things would be a ton of work, especially if they used lead free solder. Maybe get some chipquick.

e: vvv oh, well then it's not too bad at all, but chipquick will still make it easier

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 20, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

taqueso posted:

Desoldering that many things would be a ton of work, especially if they used lead free solder. Maybe get some chipquick.

The guy with the problem has 1 bad switch

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Narzack posted:

The taking apart may require some inspiration from YouTube and a spudger

The soldering part is literally holding a hot stick on a blob of metal, and then either sucking the metal up with a pump to remove it, or letting it dry to make a connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pop the case as above, test the switch. Is it dead, or the board?