Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So what's the deal with these $275-$300 boards that WASD sells? Do they gently caress or something?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-abs-hyperfuse-origins-mechanical-keyboard.html

Or is the price increase due to the double shot keycaps being made with 'original cherry machinery from Germany'. Does that really make a difference somehow or is that mostly just to suck in keyboard super nerds?

I mean..... I kinda really want one..... I'm not sure why exactly but... it's gotta be legit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Cherry profile is absolutely worth it over OEM profile. BUT you're better off joining a GMK group buy where a full set will be around $120 USD or getting an enjoyPBT set for around $100 USD.

Keycap sets like the one above have a markup because of demand (or a retailer commissioned it and selling for profit) and the only way to get it is to get it used or commission another group buy with GMK to manufacture it.

Actually I just got in on this profile at some website called https://www.originativeco.com/

Really dig the light ivory green/white keys with this GMK set.

Expensive as gently caress, but it's a pre-order so I got till September to decide if I want to go ahead with this insanity or not.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Can anyone discuss differences between SA, DSA, original cherry, and OEM keycap profiles?

Like, how do they all generally feel different from one another?

I've heard SA are extremely uncomfortable to type on as they are basically the same keycaps found on your mamma's old typewriter but the DSA keycaps 'might' have a comfort advantage versus OEM or original cherry profile?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Montalvo posted:

The Magicforce keyboard that was recommended to me a couple pages back arrived this morning and I really enjoy typing on it already (which is probably why I'm being verbose on this post, sorry!). It definitely needs different keycaps though, these look like something out of a cheap 90s sci-fi film. I checked some of the links in the OP; but can anyone recommend some websites which sell keycaps at a reasonable price? I mostly just want something super colorful, like a gradient pattern.

If you're looking for super colorful fully customized keycap sets, check out WASDkeyboards.com. With them you are limited to standard UV coated ABS keycaps which are totally fine and decent enough for most keyboard nerds at $50 shipped. Pick whatever colors you want out of their selection. You can even customize the color of the keycap lettering.

Other more exotic keycap sets are gonna run you anywhere from $100-$200 and all those sets are typically mass drop group buys or sold by semi-sketchy 3rd party sites after the mass drop run is done. I think pimpmykeyboard.com and mechanicalkeyboards.com carry some of the less popular GMK cherry profile keycap sets, but again they are pricey.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
This is kind of hard to explain, but is there some sort of 'break-in' period with new keycaps made of the identical material? Or did I gently caress something up when installing these new caps? Or, are slight differences something to just expect with cheap cap sets from wasd and other places?

I just replaced the default OEM caps on my wasd cherry blue board with another set of default OEM caps with a better cap color pattern and text color. The pattern I originally got with the wasd board came out looking like poo poo with the text on the caps basically unreadable. Thing is, this new set of caps feels a lot more "stiff" compared to the set of caps that came pre-installed on the wasd board. It's kind of hard to explain, but it almost feels like it takes a little more pressure to actuate the keys and the enter key almost feels like it "sticks" if I hit it at an off angle with my pinkie finger. It doesn't always stick, just sometimes. I wouldn't really call it a stick either: more like an unexpected amount of pinkie finger resistance.

And yes the stabilizer inserts and stabilizer bars were all placed correctly and none of the keys are backwards or anything like that.

I've read about lubing caps/switches, but is that really necessary with a board that is basically 2 weeks old?