Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
https://clueboard.co/parts/clueboard-double-1800-all-the-way

It's a joke but it's also actually for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Just bought some box jades and SA Miami nights set to go with my double numberpad clueboard. We'll see how that turns out and if my neighbor breaks in to destroy the thing for waking him up.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Now I am suddenly curious to try Topre- or Topre-clone-switched boards. Here is my totally irrational wishlist:
  • Standard 104/108-key ANSI layout
  • Compatible with Cherry MX-style keycaps
  • RGB backlighting
  • If clone, then not sucky clones (an extremely subjective wishlist item, I realize)

Other than the Topre Realforce RGB or ABKO Hacker K985P, are there any other contenders out there?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nop...2039433313.html

buy my realforce rgb

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Square up boy

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Clueboard 2x1800

Box Jades, Box Royals, Box Navy on space, SA Miami Night and SA Miami keysets, Brass plate

and too much loving time and money

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

You're just not on my level (of putting keys in the wrong spot)

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

If you could get them in something other than a Matias board. Do they even sell switches separately? And what kits support them? Asking seriously, am interested.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=52

A very large number of kits will support them.

If you look at the Contra kit, for example, you'll the extra little inside corners on the top plate and three holes on the north side of the switch footprints on the pcb. The left two are there to accomidate both mx and alps/matias switches. The right pin happens to be in the same spot.

https://cartel.ltd/projects/contra/

I have a contra with clicky and a planck with quiet clicks and another planck with the same pcb that has mx style zealios in it.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Did somebody say crazy person?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

literally yesterday I would have thought you were nuts bbbbbbbuut now i'm intrigued. the only downside is sometimes the keyboard seems to register wayy too many letters and I'm not sure why and i can't get it to stop. hopefully this is a setting i can changeeeeee... this is either going to make me a much lighter-fffingeredd typist or very sad that I threw the box away lllready

https://elitekeyboards.com/switchhitter.php

Use this to test your board. It'll let you know if there is some key chatter or ghosting going on that is causing keys to register when they shouldn't be.

Otherwise, it's probably you, but you'll get used to typing on it soon. I think I had that habit when I first stopped using a rubber piece of crap as the keys don't activate at the very bottom or require extra force because it's worn out.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Deviant posted:

what is this beautiful creation

all of it

in detail

you have to tell me

The top board is a Clueboard 2x 1800 with box jades on most keys, box navy on space, and box royals on modifiers and right numpads. I had a brass plate cut because the box switches are plate mount only and the kit did not include a plate (I'm guessing so you could see all the stupid memes all over it).

The bottom board is an Iris with the gold pcb plate and case, also using box royals and jades since I appear to have purchased way too many of each (I still have enough for 2 more smaller boards).

The two keyset are SA Miami and SA Miami night, both from kbdfans.com.

For anybody wondering, box royals with SA caps feel like a smoother Matias quiet click (and a little heavier). Jades are loud as gently caress and are great. You get a click on the downstroke and upstroke.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Cosmic Web posted:

Started building a keyboard with a DZ60 PCB today and ISO layout. First soldering job ever, and I got to learn the hard way about what to watch out for in the future.

Soldering the white leds onto the board took forever. They are tiny as gently caress and I had to double check if they were aligned correctly. I also spent some time on exchanging a couple soldered leds. Three leds on the bottom row were misalignment and another one was resoldered twice because it was the only led that wouldn't light up for a split second when I connected the PCB to the PC. Turns out that its positioned under the caps key and doing exactly what it's meant to be doing.

:negative:

Next up were the switches. I had already checked the pcb connection with the keyboard tester program and some tweezers, and the keys all worked fine. I started soldering the switches all the way down to the third row, when I noticed that a couple of switches in the two bottom rows only showed one of their two contacts. Apparently they bent when I added the aluminum plate with the switches onto the PCB board. I ran to the PC to confirm that nagging feeling in the back of my head. Yep, the keys aren't working and I'm going to have to desolder the three rows of switches in order to fix the problem.

:suicide:

I'm calling it quits for today and continue with the project once my desoldering pump gets here.

do you have some pictures? Did you not notice that half your holes did not have a lead through them and you soldered over it anyway?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I tried taking the spacebar off and replacing it a couple of times and had no luck; so I've gone back to the original spacebar for now; and everything feels fine. I'm glad I was just overreacting! It's too bad the new spacebar wasn't a good fit. Maybe it's a manufacturing problem, or maybe I'm just not installing it properly.

It can only go on two ways. Likely it is warped. If you place it on a flat surface you'll probably see it curving up and you can rock it back and forth. Depending on where you got the space bar, you could email the company/retailer and say it was warped and if they could send you a new one.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

https://keeb.io/collections/frontpage/products/iris-keyboard-split-ergonomic-keyboard?variant=2650673709086

Depending on your case options, switches, and keycaps of course.

For me the full board minus switches and caps was $70.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 29, 2018

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Yes. an acrylic middle is optional though and so is the I2C and led support resistors, but that stuff is $3 more and gives you options for adding them in the future. Cheapest options would be the pcb plates which is what I have.

Everything can be purchased on that site (it's annoying it's not in one big kit) but it seems some stuff is sold out.

And as HCF asked about using it, I like it although I have to get used to it again every day as I do not use a split board at home. The Box Royals and SA profile caps on occasion bind a little if hit too much off center, but that's just specific to my build and probably partly my bad habits.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Or you could replace the sliders with ones that are MX compatible (they are also topre compatible as well)

https://kbdfans.cn/collections/keyboard-part/products/topre-keycaps-to-mx-keycaps-adapter-x

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

https://winkeyless.kr/product/b-87-ex-x2-pcb/

Complete kit is pricey though as you would expect.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93954.0

This one is also pretty slick.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 26, 2018

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I saw a reddit post I think of some dude that used some 250g springs on his daily but i'm pretty sure he was a literal gorilla.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

figured i'd turn an extra planck into a macromacropad for WFH stuff.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is loving genius and I love it EXCEPT I could not use that in that layout because I have the numbad so ingrained into my muscle memory that I would never be able to unlearn it.

E: also, are your left control and alt keys flipped? IBM/Lenovo love?

Not flipped, just moved. Caps is control. HHKB love if anything.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What mouse is that?

FUNC MS-3 REV 2

discontinued and func no longer exists but overall it's "eh". I prefer my mionix naos 3200 but this func has a few more buttons I find useful.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Does anyone make a maximalist keyboard with another numpad's worth of macro pad on the left side of the board opposite the numpad

edit: every time i look at the CODE and think this could be BIGGER i come in this thread and post this and im sorry

somebody did briefly :v:

Clueboard April Fools joke from like 2 years ago. It had a bunch of dumb memes on the pcb so i got a brass plate cut.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

speaking of qmk routines and scripting, does anyone know how to animate the backlights in such a way that each key changes to a random colour ever n seconds? either generating a hex code for the colour or randomly selecting from a palette array is fine.

(also how would i do this using oryx or at least get the raw file that isnt compiled)

https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/using-qmk/hardware-features/lighting/feature_rgblight

code:
RGBLIGHT_EFFECT_TWINKLE_LIFE 75 Adjusts how quickly each LED brightens and dims when twinkling (in animation steps)
RGBLIGHT_EFFECT_TWINKLE_PROBABILITY 1/127 Adjusts how likely each LED is to twinkle (on each animation step)
This seems like what you want I think.

I don't know poo poo about oryx configuration, but the qmk has support for the ez and it's own config. I think oryx is just a fancy clone???

https://config.qmk.fm/#/ergodox_ez/LAYOUT_ergodox

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Just add this https://kbdfans.com/blogs/interest-checks/case-compatible-with-hhkb-keyboard

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

quote:

Cost will likely be around $650.

No

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I went through my box of spare keyboard stuff and I have, apparently, 65 box jades and 51 box royals.

Now I gotta build like two more boards. What a pain in the rear end.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I'm a big fan of the v2 zilents. With a heavy board and pbt caps it's like typing on a nice afternoon rainstorm.

Box royals are also very tactile and I like a lot those as well but they are much louder of course.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

The point of a tiny keyboard like a planck is to have everything within easy reach, and to program it however you want. The default layout is pretty good. At most you are pressing one layer key to get to any key on a normal board. If there is some combo you press all the time, just program that in.

Nobody honest man needs 12 F keys.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

QMK has many advanced key press options that I am not sure are available in the online configuration. Things like Tap Dance let you have a key do multiple things, depending on how long it's pressed or how many times it's pressed. A common one is tap shift for "(" , hold for normal shift, which I guess a lot of programming nerds use.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

If you're looking for KBDfans stuff that is currently out of stock, well they will have stock of some stuff soon.

quote:

[GB]EPBT KON MOMO Keycaps : Group Buy starts from July 10th to July 30th.
1. KBD67MKII: Spot sale will be released on July 25th, estimated shipping date: August 10th, The specific options are as follows
White PC sets 200 sets
Alu sets 500 sets
E-white sets 200 sets
Then unlimited Group buy starts until August 15th, estimated shipping date: Announced after GB

2. Tofu65 case: Tofu65 E-white case will be released on August 5th; Tofu65 black case will be released on July 15th; Other color options Will be sold as a kit on July 25th
3. Maxkeys Virtual War SA Keycaps: Because the factory missed the order, it will be postponed to September. Each order will be given an additional KIT as compensation. Apologize again.
4. DZ60RGB V2 PCB: will be released on July 28th, TOFU RGB 60% HOT SWAP CUSTOM KEYBOARD KIT will be released at the same time.
5. DZ60RGB ANSI V2 PCB: will be released on July 28th, KBDFANS DZ60RGB ANSI V2 HOT SWAP DIY KIT will be released at the same time.
6. DZ65RGB V2 PCB: will be released on July 25th, DZ65RGB CUSTOMIZE KEYBOARD DIY KIT: expected to be released at the same time.
7. Tofu 60 case: Tofu60 acrylic case will be released on July 15th; Tofu60 E-white case will be released 100pcs for spot sale on July 12th, then will provide extra 400pcs this month

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Maybe it's just a bad pic but I'm not seeing much if any solder on most connections. I'd start with making sure you have solid connections.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

If somebody is looking for a nice rgb hotswap 65%, kbdfans has restocked. https://kbdfans.com/products/dz68rgb-customize-keyboard-diy-kit

If you choose the plastic case and aluminum plate, it's as low as $85 (plus shipping) which I think is a decent price. Or you can go for a red case and brass plate and add some foam in the mix (which I think is pretty baller).

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

gently caress I bought a red case with a brass plate and foam.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Clears are the best until you use hako clears or box royals or zilents or zealios or

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I have an ergodox infinity from massdrop from years ago and an iris and if I didn't just buy a new board last week i'd be mighty tempted to pick that up for the not dumb but actually nice features of hotswap and rgb.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

I didn't really notice it before but since HCF mentioned every drat ergo board standardizing on the "6" key on left half I can't stop getting annoyed by it. Thanks.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Cherry browns were the tactile switch for years purely by accident and then everybody else was like "I bet I could do that better" and everybody else was right.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Modding your stabs is perhaps the best mod you can do. Clip them, bandaid them, lube them. It's a massive improvement.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

It depends on the keycaps/profile used. Some sets have plastic ribs in the middle of each side on three sides that can extend down further.

https://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2018/02/21/55-101284-gmk2-1519187819.jpg

Basically, this ridge is what hits the housing of a switch if it's flipped, which is against the normal spec.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

"thock" is the lord's sound

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Just had some Drop Skylight keycaps delivered and put them on my kbd67mkiirgblmao.

I got the all black set so it actually matches the black case (I previously had the black on grey set from kbdfans).

They are a bit thinner pbt than what I had but they have a decent texture and the sound is almost the same.

The other set will be put on my dz65rgb (? I don't even know at this point) that was just delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

What does everybody think of my new split-ortho-ergonomic layout?