Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been using a basic Sunsonny/Merida/whatever Chinesium keyboard with Brown clones and have enjoyed it greatly. I want to upgrade for the Tai-Hao Miami keycaps I have coming in soon.

I'd like to get some keyboard recommendations. Primary use case is typing. Secondary use case is light gaming of the non-twitchy variety.

Also if anyone knows of a way to get custom colored individual keys I'd love to get that - I wanna get a classic Windows 95 logo key for the Windows key but in one of the Miami colors.

My must-haves:

-Programmable LED keys
-Either comes with Clear Cherry MX or compatible switches or can be had without switches (my cat likes to sit in my lap and her tail thwapping and/or schnoogling actuates the Browns)
-104-key
-Must be easy to turn off the lights (I don't mind if it's switching profiles or something)
-Hot-swappable/no solder required switches

My good-to-haves:

-Detachable USB cable
-USB passthrough
-Either white or smooth surface that can be detached to be painted white
-Minimal branding (I don't mind a flashy keyboard if it comes to it)

I have no real brand loyalty and it doesn't need to be portable. I'd like to keep the price as low as I can but if I can have all those must-haves with as many good-to-haves as possible, I'd be OK to flex a bit higher.

MJP fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could live without hot-swap sockets, as long as they've got Cherry MX Clears or something equivalent to that which supports RGB lighting. It doesn't have to be Clear, as long as it's the same feel and feedback as Browns with slightly higher actuation force. I care more about "will this key yield to a cat tail thwack" rather than "what switch is this".

Does that help open the options up a bit?

I'm morbidly curious about going fully custom but I doubt my soldering skills, but I'm interested. Is there a PCB with hotswap and SMD LEDs or some other per-key RGB?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK, got it. I keep thinking about maybe going to TKL but I do my computing with my keyboard on my lap, and it seems like it'd be way too small for normal use - I guess nice minimalist battlestations are good things but it's really nice to be on the couch. Otherwise I'd go for a TKL.

I think Asus or someone else did one with a detachable numeric keypad, which is nice - but I'd miss having the whole keyboard on my lap.

I have some test switches coming in so I'll probably see what I like and get a GMMK. I'm not a fan of the 1800 layout.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled across the Asus ROG Strix Flare. While I don't need a GAMER KEYBOARD, and it doesn't have swappable switches, I think I'm going to wait and see how the normal Cherry MX switches on my testers feel. It doesn't offer clears but if blacks or reds don't annoy my wife too much, that might be the one. I had one with blues some time ago and she was very much annoyed by it, and I'm happy to compromise on clackiness if I can at least get coolness. I need a good home for those Miami keycaps.

I'm also vain and I think I'd really love to customize that template that the Strix comes with ;_;

MJP fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 29, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a switch out there that's basically a Cherry MX Clear but with a clear housing? Tactile bump, 60-68cn activation, clear housing for LEDs on the PCB - that's all I'd need.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there a place where I can get single custom keycaps that match Tai-Hao colors? I'd like to have an oldschool Windows logo key on the pink Miami colorway.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Alright, I'm finally updating some of the keyboard recs on here like I keep meaning too. There's a bunch of ones I gotta replace, and what I wanna ask for right now is for y'all to suggest the cheapest decent quality full-size keyboard you know about. WASD is very nice and all but it's a bit like telling someone whose never driven before to buy a BMW.

I'd also like to hear what people think of various switch brands because I wanna update the switch quality guidelines.

I started off on this piece of genericness: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076F4T4T4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Not awful, it's got hot-swappable Outemu Browns and the board will fit any Cherry MX clone. It has nifty LED effects. For $38 it's not a bad investment to see if you want to get clacky - you can pick between blues, reds, and browns for switches if you don't mind the colorways. The manual is absolutely awful but it's eventually figure-outable.

I think I may have asked this, but is anyone aware of a way to just get a single custom one-off keycap made? It seems like it's an emphatic no, so I might resort to some scale modeling stuff - paint a spare keycap, topcoat it with gloss, make some custom decals with inkjet decal film, apply decal, topcoat, and seal with flat clear lacquer.

I really want a Windows 98 Start logo key on a Tai-Hao Miami pink key, but it's looking like a job for some color-matching trial and error more so than however much $ it's gonna cost to have a doubleshot key made.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 19, 2019

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got a GMMK and I'm generally happy with it, but something odd happened. When I first set it up, I picked a custom color scheme, and when I used their Fn key combos to set up animations, the animations used the color scheme I set. After a reboot following a few weeks of normal use with that setup, the colors reverted to factory defaults and after redoing the custom scheme, the animations used the factory color scheme regardless of whether I used Fn key combos or the GMMK software to execute them.

I tried several times to work with GMMK support and tried everything they told me, but they couldn't figure out what happened. Anyone else have any insight into this? I'd really like to have the spreading light animation back; it kinda sucks having an all-or-nothing solid color of my custom scheme.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stupid question: are there any Ergodox or similar split ortholinear PCBs that would support per-key RGB LEDs? And if so, what kind of diode or other soldery electronic component should I get to make the keys do cool color things?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

I haven't looked in a while, but the Helix does this. Although you'd need to solder in the RGB LEDs yourself (and these ones are actually a pain to do so: SK6812MINI is the RGB LEDs typically used)

Pretty sure one of the latest Ergodox's have per key RGB now also.

Yeah, some googling around seems to confirm that it's Serious Electornics Poeple turf. I still gotta scrounge up a broken or dummy PCB to learn how to solder on.

Been using a MS Natural 4000, just got a Mistel Barocco, and it's so weird getting used to the layout. It's not THAT different, just odd. Might lead to an Ergodox but I'm using conventional arrow keys for so long that I might skill up and build/commission a BFO-9000.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are interest checks kosher for this thread? I'm looking at doing a group buy for custom caps for a Mistel Barocco/MD770 since it's drat near impossible to find a 3.25u spacebar at all, or even a 3u that isn't black or white. Don't want to spam if it's not OK.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it kosher to inquire about mice in this thread? If so, what's the goon word on vertical Bluetooth mice, preferably with rechargable batteries? I'm talking VERTICAL vertical, handshake grip. Seems like it's Evoluent or nothin'.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Mistel Barocco MD770 is a really great ergo mech split that doesn't sacrifice keys. You get to keep your F-row, Insert, Home, etc. No layering, unless you want to create one. Only issue is that its split spacebars are 3.25u - NOBODY makes keys in that size.

You can get regular MX compatible keycaps for them but even spacebar add-on kits don't come with 3.25u. Maybe some of the newer ergo split layout keycaps have a 3.25u blank, who knows? Anyway, GMK Laser came out again, I bought it, and I painted the spacebars, and unf

I had some urethane matte topcoat for model kit building, and they're so super solid. The sheen and feel are a little different than the GMKs but this is not keyboard contesting, this is having a cool ergo mech split wireless KB for daily driver office use.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any clicky MX-compatible switches that come close to the bassy click/clunk/thock/whatever of a buckling spring switch? I'm gonna finally take a shot at building a split ergomech to yeet my no-spacebars-available MD770, and I'd love to have the buckling spring sound.

I can fall back on Kailh box navies if that's as close as we're getting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got turned on to DIYKeycap and it'd be perfect if it did ergo layouts - anyone know of one-off keycap set sellers that'll let me do something custom for a possible Breeze, Sinc, or KBO-5000? I want to yeet my MD770 in favor of something that has spacebar keys that aren't painted, thanks to the drat 3.25U right space.