Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Does anyone know what this keyset is called? Saw it in a WASD typing video but I couldn't see it on their site.

You answered your own question, itís a wasd custom set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

Well, it isn't on their site, and I can't make a colorway with their VIM layout, so I sent them an email.

Never dealt with WASD before.

Drill down from the top menu

Products

Full key cap sets

104 key custom Cherry MX set

Then use the tool to make the set.

Wasd does not do ďsetsĒ, they uv print caps to order meaning they can make anything. I recognize the colors in the set you linked as their default colors but you can get crazy with designs.

Ex : https://m.imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/vg8yM

Edit: 5 min of work

https://imgur.com/a/ybahA

The colors match your photo and your photo is of a wasd keyboard.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 16, 2018

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

My ancient MS Natural is being lovely again and doesn't register YU,HJ,NM keys half the time. I'll probably fix it again by re-doing the traces but I want to consider other options as well.

In the best case I'd just get an M13 with the trackpoint but those are almost impossible to find. I definitely don't want any crazy RGB poo poo or extra keys beyond maybe volume controls so the options seem to be somewhat limited. The Zalman K700 looks decent but has Red switches which seem useless, most tactiles are Brown which you guys say suck. What about the Romer-G as in the Logitech G413? That looks pretty inoffensive.

If you like it, why not just get another MS natural for $35 bucks.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The original reason for the invention of the rubber sheet membrane keyboard was to silence the keyboard for close quarters office space.

Keep that in mind when you think about sound.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Gun Metal Cray posted:

Soo... Any hot takes for deece rubber domes?

Been using an old KeyTronic ErgoForce as my daily driver for about a month, and I'm really liking it.
It absolutely sucks for gaming, but the typing experience is solid; smooth travel, surprisingly crisp tactile bump, no mushiness and nice thock-y sound as the key bottoms out.
Of course I'd much rather drive buckling spring, but as a silent and tactile board, it's great.

Topre.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I may be crazy but for some reason I have been looking at left side only ergodox game pads.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mewse posted:

Tactile version of blues = browns
Tactile version of greens = clears

While the spring is the same in blues and browns, the physical mechanism that makes the click adds a level of resistance. If you put headphones on and removed sound as a variable you would blind pick clears being the same as blue.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

[

Megasabin posted:

What are the differences between the different Topre keyboards: Leopold, Typeforce, Realforce Doubleshot, Realforce 87U?

What is the best place to buy a topre board?

Hhkb 2 pro- unique layout uniform 35g domes

Leopoldo - unique layout uniform 35g domes

Realforce - standard tkl layout but variable switches to help with touch typing, comes in 2 additional varieties the 55g uniform and the ek 45g uniform.

It depends, I have a black hhkb pro that needs to be cleaned and probably re-lubed to make it feel ďnewĒ but it works fine that I would let go for a discount if any goon wanted it. I imported my 55g Realforce from some website I can dig up when I get home.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

Still holding the trigger on this, I looked into the WASD boards but I don't like costar stabilizers and they are missing the PBT caps as standard. Really tempted by the one2 for a quality board but not sure if I should wait for the Shine 7 or get a different brand.

The more I think about it also the more RGB feels silly too if you are over 16?

They can come with pbt standard.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index....l-keyboard.html

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

That looks like a prebuilt version. Is there a way to do a custom color sett one with PBT?

If such a thing existed custom sets would not be rare as expensive.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Do people like the 55G of the Variable for the Topre Realforce 87U?

Itís really a touch typist board with the variable as you improve your zoning with the feel of the keys.

That being said I have a 55g uniform and love it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Curious, but what does touch typing mean now? I thought it just meant being able to type without looking at the keys and has nothing to do with how much finger pressure you use.

eta: I ask because this isn't the first time I've seen the term used in relation to finger pressure. Has the definition changed since I was a little school boy?

Itís a specific thing and always has been, I can type just fine without looking at the keys but true touch typing is a technique that standardized what fingers touch what keys so the variable pressure is organized like that.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why does different weights for different fingers matter, though? Does it help you get a feeling for where you are on the keyboard if you get your hands in the wrong position, specifically for typing while not looking at the screen? I don't really see 15-20g making that big of a difference to your pinkie fingers.

I mean, going off of the Wikipedia definition, I thought most people who grew up with computers did touch typing.

I grew up with computers, I learned to type by trial and error from online gaming.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jose posted:

I've got a corsair k95 and its just started loving up when i have the lights enabled. constantly opening the start menu and turning off and on and a bunch of other stuff. If i turn it off using the keyboard buttons ti all stops lol. what the gently caress is going on

Itís hosed, sounds like a short somewhere in the traces involving LED power. I would ask Corsair for a new one as that seems like a manufacturing defect if you have never had a spill.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Is there a website that just sells tons of blank different colored PBT keycaps (or whatever keycap brand is considered nice & better than the default stuff WASD keyboards come with?) I have a specific design I'd like to make in mind that I designed using WASD keyboards color options, but if their keycaps are crap, I'd rather get nice ones and do it myself.

If people plan on using custom keycaps, what is considered the best actual keyboard? I guess it would be referred to as the casing/frame/mounting and switches? Does any one company have a gold standard case if you plan to replace the keycaps anyway?

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/A6VZbU8

To those who said it would never arrive, it did.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Oooh, nice. Cute packaging, too.

I wonder if anyone's told him the name of that cafe appears to read "Norhaforce" instead of "Norbaforce".

Maybe he was going for the archaic orthography that sometimes omitted the dakuten vv

https://imgur.com/a/kFYB3Uo

Built it up.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sweet. Did the flat USB Type-C cable work?

Yep, but itís so short I am going to have to get a new one.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megalixir posted:

I don't really browse this thread much (ok, or this site, for that matter) but I just recently put my Norbaforce on my Realforce so here's some pictures.

This is a $300 USD aluminum keyboard case. Ordered it back in November from here: https://shop.norbauer.com/products/...force-keyboards

Installation was pretty simple, they even made a tutorial video on how to do it. Having an (included) detachable USB-C cable is also a nice touch.

Ideally I would have liked to have found some of those blue Realforce keysets, but they're impossible to find. I have some kbdfans 9009 Topre keycaps preordered but they don't ship until November.

eBay is your friend, there are always china made blank topre keys on there.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1O8..._requested=true

Mechcables does great work and heís pretty cheap comparatively.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My buddy is looking for a $30-ish (up to $50 if it's from eBay) mech keyboard with "Cherry-MX Red" like switches. Preferably RGB backlit.
I've been all over the internet and I can't find a single thing I'd recommend him. He likes my Monoprice mechanical keyboard (gateron reds) so I gave it to him, but now he wants one for home.

Does anyone have any experience with cheap-ish mechs?

Just type what you want into amazon, they all come from the same china OEM's and will all be a little wonky.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

You want a Topre.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Iím looking to get some zealios for my to build at home keeb. My wife absolutely hates noisy switches so Iím looking to get the Zilents. How silent are they?

Cherry Browns are too noisy for her liking.

What sound does she dislike, are you bottoming out?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Chyrosran22 did a review of the Optimus Maximus Keyboard. I remember being impressed by this thing when it came out. I'm kind of glad it's not great so I can stop sort of wanting one in that "buy it in 20 years on ebay" way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7GYU-wedo

Jus get an Elgato stream deck next to your real keeb.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

For budget I always point people at monoprice.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Anyone looking to dump a 40/60% board? I'm interested most in the Vortex CORE or the Planck, but those also seem to be the only real 40% boards out there

I got a HHKB2 pro in black/black

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Corsair has not had poo poo software in years, when they first launched their egg boards it was clunky and unintuitive as hell but now itís fine.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mewse posted:

The new redragon is fuckin sick. I'm in the process of swapping the switches to my outemu silent ice

Randomfrankp on youtube loves this board fwiw

Randomfrankp is a rube.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Only because I completely broke a hand on a truck door while biking to work. Fn shortcuts were annoying.

Ports where they need arrow keys to navigate menus.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

iospace posted:

I don't get how people can use a TKL keyboard as a daily, but if that's your thing, you do you!
Work

Play

I should get a new pic, upgraded the realforce to Norbauer aluminum case, and mouse to GPW.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

What if I'm over 6'4Ē?

Then you should accept your life outside converting CO2 and sunshine into oxygen for us keyboard using humans you god drat tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Constellation I posted:

In very loosely related keyboard news, Massdrop rebranded themselves to just be Drop. They also seem to be shifting away from the whole lower prices because it's a group buy thing.

Anyway, they're releasing a full-size version of the K-Type/CTRL and it might just be the ugliest 1800 layout keyboard I have ever seen. Holy poo poo, look at that thing. These guys have completely lost the plot.

They diluted their brand, they started selling poo poo you could get on Amazon with the Amazon price being the final ďgroup unlockĒ.