Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Wrr posted:

Looking to buy a mechanical keyboard. Got a sampler thing and decided to go with the cherry clear, since it doesn't have too much force needed, it has some tactileness to it, but it isn't intensely loud like the green or blues are.

Is the next step just buying a full keyboard in the size I want, or should I be buying a PCB and all the individual components to build it myself?

I'm in the same boat right now as well. Current keyboard has seen better days and I have been telling myself for years now that I want to consider a mechanical one and never pulled the trigger. So, now I'm ready to dip my toes into this but bare with me, my knowledge for this came from browsing back about 20 pages, reading the op, and doing light research over yesterday evening. Already ordered a sample board to test out switches.

So far, I'm looking at Ducky, WASD, and Drop. I'd definitely like a TKL, and from what I gather, PBT is the way to go with cap material. If I have an idea for custom styling on the caps that WASD and Drop builders just don't accomplish, I assume I should just buy my desired barebones case + switches and source my caps piece meal. Is there anything in this approach that is going to trip me up being totally new to this experience? / Are there preferred vendors with barebones kits? / Is my best bet for sourcing individual caps and cap sets etsy and mechanicalkeyboards.com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Perfect, thank you for all that. So, I'll scratch Drop off the consideration list. What I might consider then is just getting a full keyboard from WASD or Ducky for the time being and play with cap customisation down the line. Might be better if I nibble on this hobby first instead of taking a big bite right away.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pulled the trigger on my first mechanical keyboard with a WASD TKL custom print with browns. I doubt I'll let this become a big hobby for me because I already have enough expensive time sinks, but we shall see.
I'm mostly just looking forward to having a good solid aesthetically pleasing keyboard after cycling through crummy ones my whole life.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Dr Cheesequake posted:

That’s what I said as well a couple of years ago when I bought my WASD v2 TKL.

Now I’m sitting here with three bags of switches “to try out”, a num pad kit ready to assemble, a gmmk pro reserved, and also casually looking at soldering equipment, because “I’m this far in - might as well try making a custom cable”.

Stop no why you do this to me.

I can already tell this is going to strongly conflict with my rare plants that I regularly blow money on.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Got my custom print WASD TKL in. I'm very pleased with how solid this thing feels. I'm attempting to adjust to no TKL, my hands are still learning correct natural placement. I realized my old board had a caps lock with a depressed edge by the a which I didn't realize I used to guide my hand.
I'm pretty happy with the browns I got, but I'm waiting for my wife to inevitably complain about the noise.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Been using my first board that I ordered a few months ago (WASD 87) and I love it, even if my wife hates the clicking.

Everytime I check in on this thread, I see all these models with knobs that makes me wanna pitch this one, or at least dump it on my desk at the office, and get a new one. Stop tempting me

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

interrodactyl posted:

Don't do that, just get a DAC/AMP setup and then you'll have plenty of knobs to use. It might cost you way more than a keyboard would, but then you have a different hobby to spend way too much money on!

I mean, I already have a blue yeti and ATH M50x, I'm pretty much halfway there as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What are thoughts on epomaker? Saw an ad for the TH96 and it kinda looks like something I would want.