Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Razer has a 'bad rep' because they target a gamer audience and price their products accordingly.

Technically there's nothing wrong with the Razer keyboards I worked with (never owned one myself, but my wife does).

The only 'gaming'/Razer thing i own is the hilariously named Blackwidow X Tournament Edition Chroma. It fit my needs (tkl, mx, metal, rgb, mac support, available in Europe) perfectly. It's a little too aggressively designed, particularly with the light up front logo, but aside from that it's great. I like there's no frame and it feels super weighty. The switches aren't exactly the same as Cherry, but they're close enough it'd be tough to tell in a blind test.

I grabbed some clear caps for my CMD keys, and shifted the 'alt' key one spot, so it's got a sensible OSX layout. They were a little expensive, but it's super cool when the light hits them - they're much brighter than the other keys due to their position and transparency.

If you want a TKL mech board, with RGB at a reasonable price it's honestly a pretty good deal. Particularly because it's so full-featured and you can buy it without having to wait months for massdrop/shipping issues. Sometimes buying stuff from a real company is really preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just a headsup for any Aussies looking for MKs, Ducky are actually available on PC Case Gear - I haven't actually noticed them on any other stores, so I thought it'd be interesting to others.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

look guys if you want to discuss other keyboards that's fine, but don't pretend that suggesting a $250 DAS is at all relevant to the question posed.

You can just say "look at this cool keyboard" it doesn't have to tie on to another poster.

My suggestion would be to find a cheapass keyboard you like and spend $20c on some stickers for the media keys. The "Great Job" star is "next song" and "worm in apple" is "previous".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducky-Channel-Cherry-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01E0HTI8S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507024203&sr=8-4&keywords=ducky++tkl

How's that look? It has blue RGBs which are probably the least offensive way to get backlighting. Backlighting is optional

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want a super quiet board with minimal design and some level of backlighting. I'll probably be using it on mac + windows so compatibility is nice. What's the best way to get what I want?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

looks nice, but I'd like mechanical so I can swap caps etc.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wolrah posted:

I once again find myself both happy and sad that custom keycap makers continue to treat backlit keyboards as second class. I know I don't need new caps and my wallet agrees, but there are a few of those designs that I'd be struggling to contain myself on if they actually worked for me.

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-translucent-keycap-sets/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I'm finally getting a new keyboard (This one is at least 10-years old Logitech Y-ST39 "Internet Keyboard"...PS/2, not USB) and want one of those, except in the M size and with Clears. However, that doesn't exist, and I can't seem to find any other offerings matching that. I need the tenkey, but don't want/need the arrow keys and the thingies above it. Anyone know where I can find a match for that? I can't find an easily searchable term for that keyboard layout.

masterkeys pro m can be done with browns, that's probably the closest you can get in a 'regular' store. There's also stuff like this:

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/blogs/news/max-keyboard

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 2, 2018

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neurostorm posted:

Looking for a keyboard for my brother (it’ll be his first mechanical). He doesn’t care if it’s full sized or TKL, he would like some sort of backlighting (doesn’t have to be crazy rainbow), and preferred switches are tactile (was gonna get him something with cherry clears or equivalent). My first thought was a code, but it’s just a touch pricey — are there any thread-recommended slightly budget keyboards that have good build quality?

what about a Ducky? I have two and they are great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i quite like my rgb ducky but im fascinated by the smaller 60% options available for cheap on ebay, dx and aliexpress. Has anyone ordered one of the $20 60% are any worth even considering? Space is a premium and the smaller boards look like they might go OK

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Shopping around for a 65% - 70%. Keychron fits my needs exactly, and is in stock, in my country.

But I don’t want a keychron, i want some diy bullshit that’s way more expensive and worse made.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Relatedly, some stock went up on RAMAWORKS if anyone is brave / rich.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cool, but would cost $90 in postage to Sydney.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

Shopping around for a 65% - 70%. Keychron fits my needs exactly, and is in stock, in my country.

But I don’t want a keychron, i want some diy bullshit that’s way more expensive and worse made.

I regret to inform you I have ordered a KB kit, lube, switches and caps.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

GMK67, glp105, Milky Yellows and some inexpensive macos key caps that I might cancel.

It’ll look similar to this, except with a white frame of slightly diff shape.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gmk67, milky yellow switches and a jaycomia capset. I turned the light off and figured out BT after I took this photo.

might lube the switches idk. It sounds great as is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you're a rank coward if you don't get the MORE PINKER version btw

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I use it for dialing.

The KB is amazing, it sounds so good, kinda rainy and deep. A little clacky on the larger keys but I’ll likely lube them up or replace the stabilisers at some point. I’m so pleased that it not only feels great, but sounds and looks perfect. It’s already my favourite ever keyboard after half a day.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a keychron K4 can be wireless and come with gateron browns, for pretty cheap! K10 or a Q6 are full size, but unfortunately there's not a lot of colour choices. Keycaps could make it work.

If wireless isn't that important for you, Ducky do a lot of colourful boards out of the box, like this thing:

https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Ducky-One3-GossamerPink
or
https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/One3-RGB-White

A few pale or white blue caps would get this looking extremely prideful quickly.

As for volume / media controls, what exactly do you want? A lot of people just use a key combo, like fn+8 or something to play / pause. My (pretty custom) board has a knob but no play/pause, so i swapped on a "pause" cap to pagedn and mapped it to play/pause, for example.

well why not fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 14, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

$120 AUD to get that set to my door, absolutely cooked.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have ali caps on my KB and the legend is not perfect, but it's close enough. That said, I'm willing to overlook the OPtiON keys, you might not be.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Haram for this thread but if you like chiclets, it’s one of the boards that has chiclets.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a compact (67%) layout, with the key directly above the right-arrow mapped to play/pause. I bump it on occasion, which is super annoying. I put in a single cheap Aliex black switch that's meant to take 80g but it feels about as easy to press as my milky yellows. Is there a cheap switch that's really, really resistant to press? Imagining something that feels like a lightswitch or something not-keyboardy.

Failing that, anyone know how to make a keypress need a longpress in Karabiner Elements or BTT?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that rocks but Etsy wants $30aud to ship

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DeusIgnis posted:

Anyone else carry a keyboard with them in their bag? If so, do you use a case for it?

yeah I do, in my 5.11 bag. I don’t use a sleeve but don’t carry many things in there. I might get a sleeve because I wanna be a fancy lad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the grabshell looks amazing, i hope it does well. I don't think it'll be good to use, but it is a novel approach and that should be applauded.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

worst of both worlds imo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So quick question: if this keyboard lacks a "Del" key, how are you meant to unlock a windows PC with it?

get the massive 8bitdo macro button and map it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

I lost my trusted Gamer keyboard of 20+ years two weeks ago to a dog-related mishap. I thought, "Hey, no big deal, I just got a bonus at work and I was long overdue for a replacement, I bet the tech goons will have some good higher-end suggestions" so I lurked for a few pages and decided to get the 8bitdo Famicom keyboard since I've always loved the look of that console and it seemed well-regarded, especially at the price point. Plus it comes with giant joke buttons.

It arrived last Thursday and won me over immediately with how it looks, feels, and sounds. It's three days later and I'm browsing WASD at work failing to convince myself that I don't need to drop $200 on a second keyboard. Last night I fully frowned at my Steam library because I didn't have enough keyboard-based games installed. A switch tester is already in the mail.

What did you do to me.

we got my gfs brother a nice kb for his birthday. I warned them both it was an anti-gift

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I got the RAMA email, what’s the story? Is it just that he is better at design than actually running a company, and has had people turn on him for not sending out items?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wow what a dong. I like his work but probs won’t ever buy from there. Mystified who would buy a keyboard company jumpsuit tbh

well why not fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Kinda showing my ignorance here but what is it with mechanical keyboards never being in stock? Or if they are in stock it's a very... particular color or design.

the market is transitioning from groupbuy insular to mainstream product section