Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Constellation I posted:

For massbuy sites/AliExpress sellers who started their own sites the ones I know of are:

https://en.zfrontier.com/
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/
http://www.ymdkey.com/

I've ordered from all 3 and have had good experience with KBDfans. I have a group buy waiting on YMD and Zfrontier, so we'll see but those two have pretty good reputation on reddit. (YMD more on their AliExpress store, their website is still super new)

I've done two key cap sets through zFrontier, no issues there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Anyone have experience with Cherr/Gatistotles and in comparison with blues/greens? I want do build with some and a spring in the green range for maximum clicky, for work of course.

:getin:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I would love to try Topre but they don't make 60% boards. :(

Your Goldie locks between the HHKB and the Leopold FC660C :3

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Thought about it, but those dye-sub keycaps and the difficulty of getting replacement Topre doubleshot PBT keycaps.

I did a swap on my Novatouch board of the modifier to JTK sliders after Hypersphereing the keys and the feel isn't noticable to me.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I wish there was a 75% novatouch. I love mine but TKL is a smidge too big and I'm not giving up my DSA caps for anything.

And before you tell me to swap the sliders, I am not far enough down the rabbit hole to consider my novatouch a "donor board".

The JTK sliders aren't perfect but do work well enough.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lawen posted:

I have a squeaky key that's driving me a little crazy. Not sure if it's the switch itself or the stabilizer but am assuming it's the switch since I can't really think of any part of the stabilizer that would squeak. Is there a hivemind consensus on the best lube for keyswitches?

If it's a stabilized switch, can you pull the key and put a 1u key on top or just press switch itself with no key on top? That test should eliminate the stabilizer from the equation. There's definitely a possibility that a stab could squeak. As for lube, not sure off the top of my head but there are several commonly recommended formulations on r/mk and its wiki.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My old cheap keyboard died recently so I went and bought an MK Disco Brown PBT. I would be happy with it except I ran into three issues. The biggest is that the left alt key does not seem to function at all, no keypress is detected by windows. Also the space bar appears to be attached at three points, the switch in the middle, and two smaller switch-like things on each side, but it doesn't actually stick to the one on the left, so it levers itself up anytime you hit it on the right side, which is unfortunately where I always hit space, so it slams into the base of the keyboard louder than all the other keys. Also I found random stickers with arrows on them inside the left control key because it felt kind sticky, I guess hidden stickers are a good reason for that to be the case...

Hopefully the mechanicalkeyboards.com people can get me a fully functional keyboard, because the combination of tenkeyless, brown switches, and the PBT caps for a reasonable price is great, and I love how if I leave all of the lights off it is very plain and subtle.

They should. I had an issue with the space bar on my Disco and they helped me out.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Topre switches make the most relaxing sound.

My work board is a Novatouch with hyper sphere rings and a set of Maxkey's SA Ninja. Thock thock thock

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

surebet posted:

reminder that sa ashen is live and has ~5 days left on it's timer. a legit good set i own and vouch for, pretty much the cheapest way you can get into sa caps:
https://en.zfrontier.com/collections/keysets/products/maxkey-ashen

you'll note that ashen is pretty drat close to oblivion's white alphas/numpad & monochrome mods for almost half the price; if money wasn't an issue i'd probably get the oblivion one if i wanted to redo the same colorway (slightly more needs suiting legends for me) but ashen will be at your door in 6 weeks.

Seconding this, Ashen was my first of SA and sold me on the key profile. It did not ratchet down my want for Modern Selectric with blue mods.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Looks like a ducky numpad. https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2247

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I have a Quick fire TKL that's over 4 years old, it's been a tank. Their new ones released a couple months ago that have the PBT keys look like solid buys.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I've got a Massdrop K-Type. I have some Navy box switches on the way and would like to replace the stabs, what's the best stabilizer (plate mount) option these days?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I got my shipment of navy box switches last night. Two weeks from order to East coast. People at work do not approve. I re did my Halo True switched K-Type that had a GMK set with the boxes and matt3o MT3 /Dev/tty.

Edit: from kbdfan.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

It's the black/white maxkey set so nothing crazy. If anyone's interested shoot me a pm.

It may change your opinion, but does your keyboard have any tilt? I like SA with some tilt, not so much on flat keyboards.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Avalanche posted:

So what's the deal with these $275-$300 boards that WASD sells? Do they gently caress or something?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-abs-hyperfuse-origins-mechanical-keyboard.html

Or is the price increase due to the double shot keycaps being made with 'original cherry machinery from Germany'. Does that really make a difference somehow or is that mostly just to suck in keyboard super nerds?

I mean..... I kinda really want one..... I'm not sure why exactly but... it's gotta be legit right?

In that one, it is the keycap set that is driving the price up as they are made by GMK.

e,fb

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Got in the SA Calm Depths group buy last year at the beginning of October, got a shipping notice a couple days ago and was very confused as to what I had ordered. Completely forgot about the keycaps.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Anyone have a suggestion for a 60% base that has a left slide hole/slot for a USB C connector? Picked up a 1up Keyboards HTE PCB (plus a HHKB plate) and the base I picked up does work due to the connector being at the top of the hole and the hole also being too narrow for every USB C cable I've tried.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

mewse posted:

Is it plastic? You could just file the opening to be larger

Acrylic. I want a finished product, not something I have to fidget fit with.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I brought my blues to work specifically to let someone borrow it to piss off their office mate.
I left the QMX sound dampening clips on and it still drove them absolutely nuts.

They had to give it back because it also pissed off 3 other offices.
Don't bring blues to work.

Of course, bring BOX Navies. :getin:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Thank you and yes i do know that. I have a key tester and I love them the most easily.

Edit. Thanks for the link, that looks perfect but it looks like I have to solder? I like the drop board since I just have to pop in the clears :)

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-tkl-tenkeyless-brown-switch

Select customize and go wild. The clears you want are an option. Helped build one with a colleague last year who wanted a switch they didn't offer.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

mewse posted:

GMMK TKL is the one that immediately springs to mind. It's nice but a bit flimsy feeling. Once she's hooked there's stuff like the massdrop CTRL high profile which is expensive but should be built like a tank

I had a coworker I helped after they tried one of my boards, we settled on the GMMK TKL. It's not at all a bad board for the price. The only caveat I'd have with it, you need either plate mount switches or be prepared to cut the PCB mount legs off your switches.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Get a hot-swap keyboard. I use a 47-key board for my tester, so it only costs maybe $12-20 to try a set of switches. If you don't care about clipping PCB legs off of switches a GMMK compact is readily available, but you'd need to buy 8 packs of switches instead of 5 to fill it out.

A switch tester isn't all that useful, as there is a huge difference between pressing one key and typing on a full set, but it can be useful to narrow down what switches to try if you have no idea whatsoever.

Looks like you missed the recent group-buy for the UT47.2 boards. They're probably the cheapest pcb-compatible hot-swap boards (~45USD for the sandwich case). You may want to keep an eye on the group buy at keyhive as there are usually additional units available after the boards are fabricated.

Seconding getting a hot swap board for testing. I use a 60% that allows PCB mount switches to be used, the 1up keyboards HSE or HTE, though going my route would be a bit more.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Norbauer is working on a HHKB replacement case https://www.keebtalk.com/t/ic-the-heavy-grail-a-norbauer-housing-for-the-hhkb/9136/20

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

I didn''t know there were v1/v2 variants, but they're my favourite switch for sure.

My personal preference, I'd say top-tier are Zilents, then the Halo
Clears, with Cherry Clears/Greens tied for third, and everything else after.

I haven't used a Model M-type bucking springs literally since the 80s.I personally just abhor linear switches.

Yea Zeal did a v2 for the Zealios and the Zilents like a year or so ago? I have a some what similar sentiment about the v2 Zilents but never experienced the v1. They have an aggressive profile. I do like how they are quieter. I don’t know what else is out there tactile plus “silent”.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Warbird posted:

Fair enough, I’ll strip it down and take another swing at things. Can anyone recommend a decent guide/video for soldering basics or techniques? I could use a refresher.

Before that. A quick test you can do is take a pair of metal tweezers or a piece of wire and bridge the key switch through holes to complete the connections to see if the circuits are completing.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

Infinikey makes the keycaps, it's just being sold through TKC.

I don't think infinikey has really been around long enough for people to have a good sense of quality, but it seems pretty decent from the random discussion I've seen on reddit.

Seconding. TKC is legit. The Infinikey White on Black set they did at the beginning of the year arrived last month and it’s a well made set. Had issues with two keys, sent them a note and they will be replacing those keys.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

.Z. posted:

An option that hasn't been mentioned yet would be the Idobao 75. You'd get more case color options that the others: https://www.idobao.net/products/idobao-id80-75-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard-kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdx0DeQf6c8
Cons: No RGB or any backlighting at all for keys. It has less keys than standard 75% layouts I've seen (like the KBD 75%). Plate mount version is currently sold out, though the PCB version is in stock. I'm unfamiliar with the pros and cons of PCB mount vs Plate mount when it comes to hotswap to comment about which to go.
https://www.idobao.net/products/idobao-id80-75-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard-kit?variant=33586934907011

Still from what you've said you want, I'd go for the Drop Ctrl if you can afford the extra cost. It's the nicest, has backlighting, and has QMK for customization (GMMK and Keychron K8 are currently not reprogrammable as far as I know).

Plate mount vs PCB mount should just be the number of holes at each switch, 3 vs 5. PCB mount should mean you don't have to cut off the two plastic legs on PCB mount switches. I've heard that keyboard has some ping/noise issues, anyone else read that?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Also, is there a way to create custom keycaps with custom symbols on it? I'd like to do both front-facing and top-faced keys so I can know which keys do what on my numpad.

WASD does this.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ijyt posted:

Oooh, putting something more substantial on Enter/Escape/etc sounds like a good shout. I'm now getting super torn up over which board I want to actually get. The GMMK Pro looks real neat (I put in a deposit), and it'd be nice to try an ANSI layout, but I just came across the CU80 and I love the price and simple design. Compare that to the price of the Mode Eighty and yeah, I'm struggling to see what the Eighty brings to the table for that price versus the CU80.

If I'm gonna be dropping close to $500 on a keyboard it's gonna be on something like the Cloudline with all that nice brass and poo poo.

Starting off by not defending the pricing on the Mode Eighty.

The CU80: already doing GB round 3 and still haven't delivered GB round 2 which they did same thing with round 1 if I recall correctly. Additionally, the Mode is a high profile case design with what appears to be a much more complicated assembly, multiple layers for the plate and PCB assembly, separate USB PCB, multiple layout support. Additionally, it looks like the Mode guys are fronting a lot of capital to massively shorten the delivery time instead of the traditional GB model of collect all the money and then use that to get manufacturing started which hopefully you see something in 6 months to a year. I recently participated in the TX Keyboard EO-87, that being a GB plus COVID times ended up being 7 almost 8 months to delivery.

Again, not really going to bat for the Mode guys, just what I'm seeing. I have two Rama U80a keyboards on order that I won't see till what Q3 next year? I hadn't heard of the Mode Eighty, but I am going to snag one as I can get a colorway that I want, deep (navy).

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gearman posted:

- Infinikey Cafè Base and Extras (been pining over the GMK Cafe set but didn't want to pay the $400+ for an aftermarket set. The fact that they're also PBT is the cherry on top. Wish I had bought a couple!)

I did the Infinikey WoB GB, it's a solid set that I'm using on a keyboard right now. I had two minor issues and TKC resolved them by sending replacement keys.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Apsyrtes posted:

Every year my wife and I add to our Christmas display, and this year more than any other it is apparent that our inflatable Santa and snowman are woefully under powered in the LED department. Anybody looking at our display is not marvelling at the lights, they are likely questioning "why are those inflatables so dim?"

I attempted today to change their bulbs out for brighter ones, only to find they don't use bulbs - a google taught me that what I saw was in fact "LED Injection Modules" and further googling led me to find that I can juice the output of my Christmas inflatables by adding LED Injection Modules.

This involves some soldering.

As luck would have it, hours prior, I had read the solder talk on this thread including the advice "As for soldering, don't be intimidated."

I ran out immediately to Canadian Tire and bought a soldering station (that happened to be half price), some solder that claimed to be the right one for electronics, and a truck bed LED kit that I could tell was just a series of 8 LED Injection Modules.

30 minutes of snipping, stripping, and soldering later and my inflatable Santa and snowman have never looked more glorious. My kids are ecstatic.

Thanks Keyboard Thread!

I’m imagining your yard being bright enough to land planes on and no logic will change that.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

space marine todd posted:

I hooked up my computer to my bedroom TV to game on and I'm looking for a wireless keyboard and a lapdesk/lap board that works well for gaming while sitting up in bed. I would love USB-C recharging and Topre switches (or something similar).

Budget is 400 or less. What would folks recommend?

If you’re down with 60% https://hhkeyboard.us/happyhacking/pro-hybrid/

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gunder posted:

What is the extra PCB option on this thing's store page for? I've seen that with a few custom kits, and I've never seen it explained. Also, it's a pretty cool looking macro pad!

Extra PCBs are nice to have if the original breaks or if you want build up a PCB with another switch type. Desoldering you can inadvertently burn up or tear a trace off. I have a K Type that is dead at the moment due to a couple traces torn off as the hotswap sockets tore off. Hint: with hotswap, support the socket with your fingers if at all possible, especially if the plate sucks. Also, keyboards, you can build up other combinations of plate, muting/damper layer, and switch. Considering outside of like the 60% form factor, there’s a lot variation in PCB layouts as to dimensions.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

hooah posted:

That sounds pretty nice. I'm skimming the GitHub readme and it links to something called via. Unfortunately, the site, caniusevia.com, doesn't actually say what the hell via [i]is[/]. Can someone please explain it for me, the person who doesn't know poo poo about homemade keyboards?

Edit: oh wait, it involves a bunch of soldering. Something I haven't done in like 15 years and for which I am not equipped. Never mind.

Via is a QMK GUI for programming keyboards, like layout, key maps, LEDs, and so on. It makes using QMK so much easier instead of having to build a firmware and copy that over to the board. There’s some configuration work done by the PCB designer to make it work, hence the can I use via.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

When you hit auto-route and call it a day on your traces.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gearman posted:

Auto routing software can produce bad traces and cause issues, and the traces don't look clean and directed like most manual traces. That said, modern routing software is pretty good. It doesn't have A E S T H E T I C but it works just fine. I've never heard of anyone having issues with the Drop PCBs. Given how popular the Drop boards are, I think it would be pretty well known if there were issues with them.

Yea. Their PCB designer did the bare minimum for a functional PCB. I have an OG K Type and the traces are just as terrible.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bliss TKL didn't immediately sell out.
https://moeso.de/collections/bliss-gb/products/gb-bliss-tkl

not really my thing but I figured I'd pass it along since inquiries were recently made.

Wish you hadn't mentioned this, now I'm in another GB...

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Anyone else in Batch 1 for the GMMK Pro? They sent out the emails yesterday notifying of the 7 days you have to finalize your purchase.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

Just to make sure before I waste any money - the Kailh hot-swap sockets can only go on PCBs designed for them, and you can tell if they're designed for them because they'll have little extra contact pads to the sides of the switch socket, right?

Correct. You can’t just add them to a thru-hole board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Queer Salutations posted:

A lot of people have been unhappy with the customer service and with colour matching on group buys. I've ordered Tangerines from them and had no problems but I'm reserving judgement until Magic Girl R2 arrives.

I’ve done multiple purchases with them and only one had issues which CS was responsive and resolved quickly. Maybe I got lucky.