Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

buglord posted:

I’m committing heresy but after three whole days of ownership i fully believe blue keycaps are deafeningly loud holy crap

just playing shooter games alone is enough noise to wake the dead

If it bothers you too much you can try o-rings and sound dampening clamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

buglord posted:

Thats what I was thinking. But also it seems like getting decent o-rings is going to be half the cost of my keyboard (Aukey 87 key). I used to have a DAS brown back in 2011 which was cool but not really satisfying to type on because there was no click unless I bottom out. Trying to find a nice (and most importantly cheap) in-between of volume.

This is why a lot of people like clears, maybe you should try them?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

nikki ashton posted:

Anything with cherry MX blue switches mounted on a metal plate.

Also, if possible make sure the stems are free floating.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

mad.radhu posted:

I checked the OP and didn't see anything about it, but I hope linking to SA Mart posts is kosher for this thread, where i'm moving a K-Type out of my inventory: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850469

Apologies if it's not :ohdear:

As long as it's not against the rules of SH/SC I don't mind.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
After a few months of consensus posting from the thread I've decided to move Kalih up to Good Cherry Clones from Nope. Any other changes people would like to see to the OP?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
There's also specialty "quiet" switches which work pretty well. Topre boards are also much less...expressive. The sound is more of a thock, like rain on a roof, than the sharp click of most switches. It's quite relaxing.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Will vouch for Coolmaster keyboards, my first mechanical was one of their weird TKLs with a hybrid numpad/cluster with Blues. Got me hooked quite well. Speaking of, I have a Mistel Barroco coming in a few days. Will post thoughts when I get it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Yeah, when I wrote the OP there weren't too many high end ABS keycaps yet. I'm going to keep things as is because ABS is still generally the material of lesser keycaps, and anyone deep enough in the hobby to know the difference doesn't need the OP anymore.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I just got my Barocco and drat this thing is great.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Welcome to your new addiction, friend.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Is there any place that makes custom wooden wrist rests? I love my Barocco, and all it needs are some wrist rests for me to have a really killer setup.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I would rather cut off a hand than wade into the cesspit that is reddit, but I'll check out woodkeys.click.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Brownie posted:

So my MAX KEYS Miami SA doubleshot ABS set came in today and it feels great! Really happy with it on my poker 3 with clears. So thanks for the help guys, you were right and these key caps don't feel cheap at all.

I also bought KBDFans 63 switch tester and it's loving awesome. The Kailh BOX clicky switches all feel pretty amazing, especially the novel key ones.

ugh i'm going to be so poor because of this loving hobby weird obsession

Edit: here's a picture

drat those are some handsome keycaps.

Would you like your keyboard in the OP?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

sensy v2.0 posted:

I just switched from a Logitech G810 to a Vortex Vibe because I wanted more desk space and really couldn't make the jump to live without a number pad OR the navigation keys. This pretty much fills my needs perfectly.

Small keyboards best keyboards, how are you enjoying the experience?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

drat, that is gorgeous. Good work.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Don Lapre posted:

Got my Alt today, my god halo clears are amazing.

It is so nice not bottoming out

I am so jealous, that is some handsome keys.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

buglord posted:

ALRIGHT, SCREW IT.

Looks like im already getting back into the swing of things ordering a real goons keyboard. What are good options for MX Clears, with switches that aren't "nested" in the keyboard that allow for easy cleaning? Bonus points if its on Amazon. Don't care about backlighting. Would like keycaps that don't show dirt easily. Quietness is key. I'll consider 80%, but no smaller because I need number and function keys as separate keys.

e: crap the 96 key keyboards look amazing. I basically want a keyboard with minimal frame. a lot of these keyboards im finding look nice, but have huge bezels/frames. how does this rabbit hole key going lower

The Vortex Race 3 is pretty well liked by people who have it, comes with clears, has a separate function row and no bezels.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

clockwork automaton posted:

I haven't posted in awhile but I have a couple more things rotation around in my collection

and the following two I sold:

Turns out keeping the number of keyboards you own down is hard normally, but worse when work will pay for keyboards (not caps or switches though).

I just wanna say your taste in keycaps is killer. What's the keycap set on the first board?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I'm thinking it's about time for another thread update. This time I'd like to focus on the recced boards. I'm looking for a good budget keyboard to put up for people, I'm going to add the Vortex Race 3 as well. (I think it's one of the best keyboards rn)

So I'd love to hear people's opinions on budget boards these days.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I'm thinking about the sub 100 range.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

buglord posted:

you people make me sick!

We are sick.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Just buy a new Logitech K480. It sounds like it'll be adequate to your purpose.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 22, 2019

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Inzombiac posted:

The one bit of solace I take is that the one I got is a hot pink rainbow nonsense pile and that's all I really want.

But my partner tried it, fell in love and is researching her own.

Pray for me.

You are both lost, embrace the keycaps.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

VostokProgram posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on ducky boards? I'm thinking about getting this one in silent reds

I've barely seen an ill word about Ducky's products. They're all top shelf poo poo as far as I can tell.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Zarin posted:

I took the GMMK with Greys to work today and gave it a go; after a couple hours, I decided that they are decidedly "meh", but should get me through for a bit.

And, I think you've sold both sold me on the BOX Navies. It's interesting that Input Club shows them with a peak actuation force of 77g, but the site lists them with a peak of 67g.

A quick question: the full travel on the BOX Navy is 0.4mm shorter than a Cherry MX Green. Have either of you tried both switch types, and/or do you think this will even be noticeable?

As for the switch tester, on one hand while I agree that it's probably a good idea, on the other, I'm not sure I could get a feel for a switch without actually typing on a board full of them. I feel like when I take a keycap off and press a switch, it does not feel the same as actually typing on it, if that makes sense. Of course, the other option is to just do the best research I can, buy a set of switches, and hope; I'm currently 1 for 2 on that, so . . . . :shrug:

Yeah, if you can it's a real good idea to get some sample keycaps you're likely to put on a board.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Alright, I'm finally updating some of the keyboard recs on here like I keep meaning too. There's a bunch of ones I gotta replace, and what I wanna ask for right now is for y'all to suggest the cheapest decent quality full-size keyboard you know about. WASD is very nice and all but it's a bit like telling someone whose never driven before to buy a BMW.

I'd also like to hear what people think of various switch brands because I wanna update the switch quality guidelines.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Thank you, updated the keyboard quick picks finally.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Oh also, how is the turn around on WoodKeys orders normally? I know there's a lot of waiting around in this hobby but I ordered a purpleheart wrist rest back in March or April and haven't heard a peep since.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Are you implying one of us hasn't already?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

I use this! If you like flashy RGB stuff this is great, and it comes with lovely keycaps. The shortcuts are quite good, and the controls for the RGB lighting are decent.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Peanut Butler posted:

I killed a Model M many years ago, and have been using the cheapest $10 Logitech boards since then-

I'm gonna have an extra hundo to spend getting my feet wet again in the wide world of keyboards and custom caps, and it looks like the Ducky One 2 Skyline about meets my needs? Like, seems like a good starter and the blue switches will be reminiscent of the Model-M thunderstorm I dearly miss?

A little bit, not quite the real deal. If you truly want the real deal, you can buy them from Unicomp. They're not quite the same, but they're built with the same machinery as the IBM Model M and by the same crew. (The workforce essentially bought out the factory when it was threatened with closure)

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Malcolm XML posted:

Anyone want a Realforce RGB? O.G., mostly unused. Plus I'll throw in some PBT keycaps.

I'm interested. I've wanted one forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Saddamnit posted:

Thanks guys. My biggest concern is making sure the keys are quiet, so I definitely want to test them out before committing the cash.

Please note that keyboard construction will also play a large role in how loud switches are. A more open design with a lighter backplate will be louder, in my experience. It's worth listening to sound tests for keyboards as well as a result.