Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Hello all,

I have been looking for the past few weeks and just can't come to a conclusion. I am in need of a new keyboard for work. Been using an old membrane keyboard because it was lying around the house and better than the standard Dell keyboard that my company provides. At home I am using a Logitech G810 and really enjoying it. So let's get to the meat of my problems.

Since this is going to be a work keyboard I am not looking to spend a whole lot, would like to keep it under $70. I am a tax accountant so a 10 key is a must have, or a separate 10 key pad. Cherry MX Brown switches would be ideal since they are the quietest but still provide a tactile feedback. On my current keyboard there are volume controls and those are nice to have but not necessary.

So I found a few keyboards but nothing really screams out "BUY ME!" Here is my list so far:
-Mechanical Eagle
-Corsair K66
-Corsair K55 this one only because it has multiple reviews saying it is a great keyboard...but not mechanical
-RedDragon any variation of this one
-Qisan really like this one but it is white and would prefer black so when I have clients over they don't see a dirty keyboard

Are any of these reliable? Is there a better option that would meet what I am looking for? Do I need to step up my price in order to find something reliable?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and for any tips/advice :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

Redragon boards are all blue switches afaik, bad for office setting.

If you're willing to go to $80 there's the Logitech G610 Orion Brown with MX Browns.

There's the Velocifire VM01 for $40 that has outemu browns.

That mechanicaleagle board has blue switches as well and looks like an abomination.

The Velocifire looks nice, like the price too.

The first keyboard I looked at was the G610. Have a hard time paying $80 though, or at least justifying it to my wife.

Thank you for these suggestions!

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

I have a G610, it would be fine in an office as it looks pretty sober and not at all gaming-oriented. It was pretty much the cheapest one with cherry switches, it's backlit and feels good. Not sure about the other makes with off-brand switches.. I would say a G610 is a decent choice.

The keys are not standard sizes so you wouldn't be able to switch the caps around if you wanted to get into that.

That is one thing I have never done, although I am pretty new to mechanical keyboards. I see the appeal for having a color schemed keyboard match your computer, but why the way out there key caps? Like these ones. I don't understand how those would function.

I may be going with the G610. I always come back to it, plus I like my G810. I don't know how the Romer switches differ from cherry mx though.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

Artisan caps are loving stupid.

Romer-G switches were designed by omron/logitech so that they can have an LED in the center of the switch. They have dual contacts so in theory they are more reliable than other switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbW4OT7aDuA

It seems like that review pretty much bashes Romger G switches. Have Cherry MX become the standard for mechanical and anything different is taboo?

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

Have to work this weekend so finally brought in my modded redragon vara - gateron silent browns, maxkey sa dolch

I really like the look of this. How hard is it to do something like this? And since I'm asking, how much?

Thanks!

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

It was a bit easier than I expected. The solder sucker I purchased was invaluable in desoldering the stock switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4U75kF1Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dvf45hN6Y

Redragon VARA non-backlit $37
Gateron silent brown x 110 $43.30
Maxkey dolch $99
Soldering kit $30

Wow, way more detail on how you did it than I was anticipating. Thanks for that! I may be doing this because I love projects and tinkering. Modded a DMG-01 a few years back and been itching to do something of the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

My pleasure but I'm upset you made me calculate how expensive this board was :argh:

One tool I forgot to mention was a switch puller I got with my gmmk TKL, it made removing the switches from the place fairly easy after desoldering.

Here's a listing for one on aliexpress

Hahaha sorry. Got a tight budget so maybe I can build this over time.