Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I never knew about the Vector Race 3 until this morning, and now I must have it. I've been a blue guy, but now I'm unsure about them versus clears. I have a sample key switch thing, and I've noticed the clear switch feels heavy. As a writer, anyone have a strong case of why clears are better than blues? I work in a home office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Only $110 if they get enough people on board! Lol. I can't decided if I want this keycap set or a Race 3 with cherry blues... ugh. Decisions.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean a cool escape cap is nice and all but $30 is just lmao

Agreed (why yes, I did just join the group Buy of the deep sea keycap set on Massdrop, why do you ask?)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah, this is why I decided not to contribute to the latest WhiteFox drop despite the fact I've wanted one forever.

Feeling better and better about having a cheap, well built CM storm board with real cherry blue switches, and getting a Race 3 for my birthday.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

leper khan posted:

In this vein, anyone who gets a split board just be aware of what you're doing. They can be really ergonomic, but they can also force you to contort your wrists in incredibly harmful ways.

If you're bending your wrists, you're doing something wrong.

It's also one of the Reasons I shy away from clears vs blues or browns. Harder impact on the fingers

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Constellation I posted:

MaxKey SA Miami Night is taking group buys now at geekhack as well.

http://imgur.com/a/SIJk5

Got an actual link? I'm curious though price wise I might be out

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I have a KBT Race somewhere, and the problem I had with that (and I assume I would have it with the pok3r if it's the same) is that it has a really steep incline. I could definitely stand to get a bigger keyboard these days, I just want it to be as low-incline as possible. Unfortunately, incline is not something any keyboard website allows you to search by.

So 2 questions I guess.

1- Is there a decent non-60% with a low incline? I'm using a Ducky Shine Mini right now, I doubt it'll be easy to beat, but I would like something similar.

2- What have you guys found to be the contributing factors in a keyboard when it comes to sheer typing speed?

Have you looked at the race three? Pretty flat from what I can see. I think 70% board, but it will be My next board for sure.

In terms of speed, it's a wrist rest for me. Gotta be comfortable.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

Blues are for dickheads and shut-ins. Hope this helps.

Or people who have a private office :smuggo:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Arivia posted:

Shut up, Clint.

Yeah, I was shocked when I pressed the stop button and iTunes actually stopped playback.

Wait, seriously? What keyboard?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bought a Havit low profile mechanical keyboard with Kale? Blue switches. I honestly love it as a board for my laptop set up. Feels like mechanical laptop switches if that makes any sense. Also, only $60.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My mass drop keycaps shipped! Nautilus keycaps will be coming sometime soon!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Oh wow, those were estimated to ship on Dec 14. Is this the beginning of a new, more-dependable Massdrop??

Post pics of your keeb when the caps come in!

Will do!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

My last non-mechanical keyboard was the Microsoft Sculpt, which is very similar to the Natural Pro. Unfortunately, the closest thing I've been able to find to it is the LZ Ergo, an extremely limited run designed by a guy in Korea. It also lacks the numpad, but you can always get a separate mechanical numpad pretty easily.

Even more unfortunately, you can only (and rarely) find the LZ Ergo in secondhand markets, often going for several hundreds of dollars. :(

Yeah, these days I use a split Microsoft scout because of my minor rsi issues reddit just posted a LZ board too and it looks amazing, but it’s $500 and it was a limited drop 😢😢. I’ll keep my eyes out if they come up again, it’s what I really want

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

It looks like a GK64 is exactly what I want - the main thing I dislike about 60% boards is DEL behind hidden behind a function layer, that is awesome.

Letting go of my Vortexgear Race 3 with blues also, in case anyone is interested.

How much for the race 3?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’ve been thinking of getting a kinesis ergonomic advantage 2, but I have one question. I prefer the space bar on my left thumb, not my right. Can I swap those two? The default is backspace on my left thumb, space bar on my right. (I don’t have full RSI, but I do have a tight right thumb and ergonomic keyboards do help, currently on a Microsoft sculpt and its good.) I cant believe I missed another TG Alice drop (though the idea of soldering is a little extra as far as I’m concerned.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mmm11105 posted:

I have an Advantage 2 and there's a built in remap to map any key to any other key right on the keyboard. I use it for caps->esc for vim, but it should also work to maps backspace to space and space to backspace.

Thanks! How are the cherry brown keys? I like the blues on my old CM board

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Seeing a lot of groupbuys outside of massdrop lately so I’m not sure if it’s a big loss.

Kono, Novelkeys and KBD fams seem to be doing more and more groupbuys and often use proxies which are nice if you don’t live in the US. And of course there always has been Geekhack for GBs.

Not to mention mass drop has had less good buys. Take Alice boards. Super hot, and even the clones cost like $300 to make. If they had been smart they would have built one. I was tempted to buy an Alice clone last month but the idea of doing the soldering turned me off.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Noise is highly dependent on typing technique. Even with a quiet technique mechanical switches will probably always be louder than a laptop keyboard.

That said, cherry silent reds are pretty quiet and don't feel all that bad either. I would probably feel like I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat for using them in a shared workspace. You can talk with your colleagues and see if they are bothered.

Also, be aware that the ergodox is really huge, especially the thumb cluster. It's really only ideal if you have large hands. I used to use a Microsoft Sculpt (which was fine) and I couldn't use an ergodox for more than an hour or so without serious thumb pain from stretching to reach the cluster.

The ez is also a bit overpriced for the build quality imo. It's kinda plasticy and cheap, but it's fine if you can't/don't want to build your own (it is a niche product after all). The hollow plasticyness can affect the sound though. You may be able to put foam inside or something to dampen it a bit.

As a sculpt user who wants some ergo and mechanical with low travel, I’m currently thinking of waiting on a group buy of an Alice clone, and getting testers of both mX and other switch types to see what has low travel so I can have the best of both worlds. The Alice looks closer to the sculpt to me than the ergo. Does that sound about right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I've never used the Alice so I don't know. It'll be hard to find curved keyboard like the sculpt that takes switches, except maybe building a dactyl variant, although those are more like maltrons/kinesis.

If you want lower travel take a look at Kailh speeds. They have both lower travel and actuation distance. Something like a Kailh Choc may be closer to a sculpt, but you will more or less have to build a custom board since the switch footprint is different.

Switch testers are okay but it's very difficult to really judge a switch without actually using it on a keyboard. Most cheap hotswaps are either Outemu only, and/or don't work with pcb mount switches. If the board isn't PCB mount compatible, it means you have to clip the legs off your switches with a flush cutter before they will fit.

If you can find a UT47.2 somewhere for $40-50 it has Kailh hotswaps (should be compatible with all/most MX switches) and PCB mount holes, and it will run QMK. It's a really nice tiny keyboard that you can just throw in a small backpack.

Thanks for this!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, Newest idea. A mass drop control keyboard, and gateron clear switches? Will the control hot swap with those type switches. The fact that the clears are only 35 grams is super sexy to me. Though this isn’t cheap to do :(

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I bought an actually split keyboard (Kinesis Freestyle Edge) to try to deal with persistent shoulder pain I've been getting on the computer (already have tenkeyless, trackball, good chair, adjustable desk, etc so I've gone down the usual routes). I wanted something I could easily return and had a normal key layout so I wasn't very interested in the more esoteric options (uhk, ergodex, etc). So far it feels super weird to type on. It's like I'm not even typing but just wiggling my fingers independently and words appear on the screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it eventually. Anyone have this keyboard and end up happy with it? Any tips for getting used to it?

Try a Microsoft sculpt. It’s not a mechanical, but it’s cheaper, less weird, and works really really well

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So thread, help me out. I want a board with gateron clears. The two options I see is to buy a drop control board and swap them in, (for like $300) or a few smaller boards on keyboards.com for $99 that have questionable reviews. Any ideas? There used to be a cheap board on amazon that had clears magicforce 68? For $40, but it doesn’t appear to be around anymore.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mewse posted:

Tada68 + whitefox come to mind

Zealios (lol). outemu silent forest, durock koala

I have to ask: You know gat clears are light linears and not stiff tactiles like cherry clears right?

This is an affordable TKL kit without switches: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073063135.html

Thank you and yes i do know that. I have a key tester and I love them the most easily.

Edit. Thanks for the link, that looks perfect but it looks like I have to solder? I like the drop board since I just have to pop in the clears :)

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 13, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-k6-a-compact-65-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

Damnit, why can't they give me the K2 but hotswap. I need my function keys but want this so bad.

I pre ordered it with hot swap. It’s what I’ve been looking for so I can pop in gateron clears. Stoked

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I wish you could still get a cheap board with gateron Clears.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So odd one for the thread. I love the thinkpad keyboards, but only use macs. They just released a new thinkpad trackpoint ii keyboard, (so wireless via dongle or blue tooth) which is the thinkpad keyboard but as Stand alone board.

My issue is it says it supports windows and android only: now, can I assume they means trackpoint support? Because I don’t give a poo poo about the red clit. I just want to type on the drat thing.

Thoughts thread? Will the blue tooth just work on my iPad/iMac?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Some Goon posted:

Google says it works fine, except the trackpoint scrolling doesn't work like it does in windows (having not used one I'm not entirely sure what they're talking about), but even that has workarounds.

Okay thanks thread. Well it’s $100 and not on amazon yet, so now I wait. (I have a gift card).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I got a K1 with Red switches and hated it. I asked to return it, and they're customer service is a joke.

Which leads me to what I discovered. I have some slight RSI issues. It's not classic RSI, but my hands get tired if I use most mechanical keyboards. For a few years I used a microsoft sculpt, and that worked, but not 100%. Finally I saw an acupuncturist and he mentioned maybe it was the keyboard. So i switched back to the apple classic keyboard with a wire, and keep my hands up when typing, and it cured it all. Well they don't make them anymore, and the magic keyboards now have even less travel and while they also don't hurt my hands, they don't feel as good.

Enter the Logitech MX keys keyboard. Feels even better than the apple keyboards, wireless, and hands love em. And I bought that last week, before they just released a new one this week that's the same but called MX Keys Mac addition. Minus the fact that the battery in this thing isn't user replaceable, this is the keyboard I see myself using for the next 10+ years. (I'd buy backups now but I assume the battery in the box would go bad too?)

anyway, just love this keyboard.

Love travel scissors switches is the way! (and it only costs $100)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just spent $150 bucks on two apple keyboards (the silver wired ones with usb from 2007-2017). They are the only keyboard (other than Logitiech mx keys) that does not bother my hands for long periods of time, and have the perfect amount of travel. Just kicking myself that I didn't buy ten when they were only $50 a pop.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

well after settling on both apple wired keyboards and the mx keys (they both don't hurt my hands, whereas most MK do because of the longer travel distance), I'm tempted to buy the Epomaker Niz Plum. Basically a HHK but for a $100 less. I'm tempted because the travel stroke is less than a mechanical keyboard, 35 grams is perfect, electro capacitive switches should out last me in theory, and they can take regular Cherry keycaps. Anyone in this thread have one?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Anybody here have a Vortex Race 3? It turns out after years of not thinking I can use mechanical keyboards, cherry Browns actually are fine for my hands. I love the style of that board, and I like the RBG and Mac features. I don't care about switching keycaps either, so the weird keys don't bother me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Changed my mind on the Vortex, and instead ordered A DurGod Nebula TKL. (apparently better build quality, USB C and standard keys all had appeal to me, and I ordered two of them With cherry browns and a cherry silver, to see which I like best). Excited for all the RBG. Durgod make quality boards right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Sorry to probably make you second guess yourself but I have a race3 rgb and I absolutely love it. I'm sure the Durgod is fine; I went with the race3 for the super compactness with all the keys I wanted still.

No worries. I read about some rust issues with the inside of race3 which turned me off to them, but if I find a key-switch I like my next step is to go full custom board by the end of the year. I was leery of this because I need function keys for media controls for mac, but having played around with software last night I feel like I can do with a smaller custom board if I do find switches that work for me. (I think the 65% works because it has the page up and down keys I can remap forward and back with tracks). Just very sad that botanical keycaps are out of stock everywhere and so expense :(.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heads up on a none crazy expensive but very cool group buy, if you're into the early 2000's colored plastic look.

https://shop.wuquestudio.com/pages/ikki68-aurora

I think (even though I settled on a vortex race 3 with cherry brown switches) that I might be in for a mint one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

As far as I know Keychron is still the only game in town for wireless mechanical keyboards, at least below the Obsessive Hobbyist price point.

I have watched two youtube videos that say this brand is pretty good, and I really like the style.

https://iqunix.store/collections/80-series/products/iqunix-l80-formula-typing-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=32620690178108

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

While I'm tempted by that new keyboard everyone is hyping because it has the wheel, I just made what I consider to be my final form keyboard and I'm very, very happy with it after switch testing a ton of keyboards.

I went with the Durgod K320, and upgraded the keycaps to Matcha PBT. I'm very happy with it. (with Cherry Browns which I also love, after avoiding them because of here and Reddit talking poo poo about them.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

just for my info, what are the Obsessive Hobbyist options?

Mid level there's also these guys.

https://iqunix.store/collections/iqunix-all-products

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I love my Durgold K320? (TKL with white lights, Cherry Brown and custom PBT XDA keycaps). But I'm tempted by the GMMK keyboard because of the nob and full RBG lightening, and am curious about trying out Gateron Browns if I like them as much as Cherry. Plus, I kind of want another set of PBT XDA keycaps (truly the superior keycap profile).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

I'd go even further by trying out switches less similar to the browns, like Boba U4Ts or something

Too heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Smythe posted:

This is based. Ty

I have the same keyboard with white backlight and I threw on some cheap matcha PBT keycaps (I think $30 on Amazon) and it's a fantastic keyboard.