Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

couldcareless posted:

Perfect, thank you for all that. So, I'll scratch Drop off the consideration list. What I might consider then is just getting a full keyboard from WASD or Ducky for the time being and play with cap customisation down the line. Might be better if I nibble on this hobby first instead of taking a big bite right away.

I've also thought about that but why not just jump in full go?

I'm mostly interested in a full size keyboard with number pad. Any good places to find cases and PCBs online? I poked around a few places but it seems like everyone is going for smaller form factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I meant more putting the bits together from components myself than going for full top end componentry, but it sounds like for relatively basic full size keyboard with Cherry Clear switches I'm best off going prebuilt, then messing around with it from there. Thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Just ordered a switch tester. I'm probably going to regret this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm thinking about buying this as a starting point to throwing something together:

https://cannonkeys.com/collections/in-stock/products/practice-65-v2-keyboard-kit

Is this a decent idea, or should I start with a prebuilt and tear it down? I'm generally mechanically inclined although will need to dial in my soldering.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

What are you trying to throw together? Do you want to salvage that board to build something nicer?

It's mostly get experience with soldering and building for my own entertainment, not much of a specific goal in mind other than build something up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

This kit looks mostly fine, but I think I'd get some adhesive rubber feet for it since it looks like it just rests on screws.

Thanks - I will definitely think about feet or some kind of mat if I go to deploy it.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh it'll be perfectly fine. You can also take a look at aliexpress and see if there's a nicer kit for the same price. Considering you still need switches switches and caps, you may find a more complete and prettier looking kit for just a little bit more in total.

Thanks! I poked around aliexpress but it's of course kind of a nightmare - any know good vendors/models?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

christ now im looking at DIY cables

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

its kinda wild to me the number of people who don't use function keys or the number pad. the overlap between excel jocks and custom keyboard bois must be low.

the smallest I can cut this stuff down is 75% plus numpad or a 1800

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

numpads on 40's do exist:

you've solved slightly less than half my theoretical problem and a bunch of those numpad layouts loving suck (2u 0 and = is mandatory)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that website altered my brain in negative ways

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

those do look sick, how's the MT3 profile overall?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

goddamnit got my cospad number pad PCB today and the "1" key position circuit on a standard number pad is not working. I assume that when testing it should light up just like any of the other key positions.

Time to get a new one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Stroop There It Is posted:

IDK if this is remotely helpful but when I assembled my Cospad, I had an issue with one key not working because it was shorting out due to part of my stabilizer touching the PCB (I think). So I reseated and made sure my o-rings were insulating it properly, and it worked fine after that.

Thanks for the tip! It was happening when I was doing the tweezer test before I did anything to the board other than load firmware so I don't think it would be shorting out for any other reasons.

On the 1 key on your cospad (if you can recall), was there a through hole drilled in the PCB that overlapped with one of the contact points? I suspect that hole was mis-drilled and broke one of the traces but it's very hard to tell. In pictures it looks like they all have this mount hole.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks, it's helpful!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In case anyone cares (no), I solved my Cospad issue - they had me jump some random transistor to a seemingly random trace and it worked fine after that. Small electronics is basically sorcery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

am i being wooshed because that looks like a (regular) 1800 to me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

aricoarena posted:

It's missing a column of keys on the right hand side which are usually the + and enter keys of the numpad.

So it is! Interesting. I hate it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

put together my xd84pro and cospad20 last night. first adventure in building keyboards was a big success. I kind of hosed up one of the stabs for the enter key but it seems fine to use. misplaced one switch that I had to desolder but overall it was just fine.

now time to get in the wide world of custom cables to improve my cable management game.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I solved a roughly similar problem with a 75% keyboard and a separate numpad, which in the end I think is a much better solution. I don't think as a numpad user that I would like having the numpad above the arrow keys. If you don't want function or hard arrow keys, a 60% + numpad would work well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are some good compact barebones or hotswappables that have a function row? I don't need a numpad. I would like the del/insert key area and maybe the arrows too? So maybe a 65%-ish with an F row?

I currently have a vortex race 3 rgb that I love but I wouldn't mind messing with different switches in the future.

A 65% with a F key row is a 75% layout or an 84 key layout and is fairly standard - that would be basically identical to your Vortex Race 3, just to confirm. Keychron makes the K2 which is available as a hot swappable, wireless 75%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any suggestions for diy kits? i want to solder, a lot.

i recently put together a keyboard based on XD84 pro PCB. seemed to be a decent quality PCB and my dumb rear end did just fine. you should pick layout first though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thinking bout dropping $180 or whatever on DSS carpinteria

does anyone have experience with DSS profile? i am using Cherry profile now and like it fine, what should I expect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

I built a very pretty commission over the weekend.

Very badly color corrected sound test, for the folks who care about that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b4qnL2Sp0

what is it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

7v makes me wish I could use a 75. It's a nice board.

all about that 75 life but i ain't about that price point

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

soldering was like 2/3 of the fun for me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that does look good. what are those keycaps?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wife is now jealous of da board and wants one of her own

she's debating TKL vs 75%. most of the fun is making it so does anyone have a good DIY TLK recommendation at a reasonable ish price? Soldering appreciated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pre-mouse era where most people are righthanded and rapid entry of numbers was important for a lot of business computing purposes is my guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

I recently switch from a full size to a TKL and I realised how much that numpad meant to me. Even though I only use it intermittently for calling numbered records, it really is so much faster to key it out on the pad than to fiddle around with the number row. Time for a full size mech I guess, or a macropad?

I'm guessing after a certain point people stopped having calculator drills in school? I remember my various teachers all going on about how being able to touch-calculate was essential for optimal exam performance.

separate pad on the southpaw side, join us (though I use a 75%)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

anothergod posted:

A few questions:

What do I do if a few keys of my 10kl Leopold broke? Do I buy a full set of keycaps or can I get just like the ". >" and right arrow replaced?

What the hell is Sys Rq or Scroll Lock or Break for? My Print Screen button has Sys Rq printed on the side, and my Pause button has Break written on the side as well. Also, on that note, what is the Pause button for?

Other questions: I have a whole extra set of Alt, Windows Key, and Ctrl keys I wouldn't mind making do.... other things. Hell, I'd also like to make my Caps Lock do something else. Where do I go to look into those things?

scroll lock changed the behavior of arrow keys to scroll rather than move the cursor in the pre mouse era. it still does this in stuff like excel. pause/break was used for termination of programs or process, an even older legacy where you killed the program/transmission by physically breaking the circuit.

there are lots of keyboard drivers that will do custom layers, change key bindings etc etc - don't know if qmk is compatible with your board but its good for stuff like this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lmaoooooooooooooo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ijyt posted:

My car doesn't have tires or any fuel but it's okay because you can just push it don't worry about it

only way to know if it makes a difference is to try it :shrug:

at some point chasing intensely marginal returns just seems totally pointless to me

this goes for pretty much all hobbies i have, min-maxing is for loving nerds

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i want a sinc split keyboard now, thank you whoever posted the split boards links

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

I'll pull the trigger if you do? :ohdear:

interrodactyl posted:

Do it, really fun kit to build IMO

Buck Turgidson posted:

I built a keebio split (the levinson) and it was a cool way to learn how to solder. Can recommend. I use the keyboard everyday day as well.

I've already built and soldered a Tofu84, a cospad 20, an XD75, and a KBDfans numberpad in the last like, 12 months for my wife and I. We do not need more keyboards and I'm in the midst of a custom cabling process for the PC. However....

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DoesNotCompute posted:

So about 3 years ago some fellas in my engineering program asked me if I wanted to go in on a group-buy to make some homebrew keyboards. I honestly knew nothing about mechanical keyboards and just wanted a little side project. We had access to a water jet cutter so the frame was cut out of aluminum sheet and I went with brown switches and white LEDs along with pretty simple white key caps. Got it working and was happy with it but never found the time to actually finish building the frame of it until this week. Had some off cut walnut laying around that reminded me about it and went to work. Was a lovely exercise in finnicky angles and anxiety but I'm truly happy with how it turned out. Re-wiring it to fit in the enclosure was a nightmare though as the Teensy 2.0++ that we used was pretty janky and I lost two solder pads so it's sort of a work in progress. Going to shop around for better microcontrollers that will fit and then I'll do the final assembly and ideally never open it up again. Here's some photos (please ignore the janky felt feet, it was mostly to get it so I could use the thing until I figure out a more permanent bottom cover/microcontroller).

this looks real good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Just finished it. Kinda using it like an Alice style board, but the left side can double as a gaming keypad too.

i dig it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

soldering is fun and easy just make sure there's plenty of ventilation

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

desoldering joints is not very difficult

hotswap keyboards are for infants

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wolrah posted:

Let's have a race. I'll swap my hot swap keys, you solder. How many missions deep do you think I can get in Hitman 3 after completing my swap before you're done?

i'm in this to play around with building stuff and Adult Legos is a lot less fun than doing more of the work myself. don't really care about speed of the result, care about the fun to be had in the process.

Midjack posted:

lmao

On the other hand, I have to doof around with PCBs at work a fair amount and I'm not super keen to do it on something at home for fun.

if I had to solder stuff at work I definitely wouldn't care to do it for fun but doing some hand work is part of the appeal to me

redeyes posted:

Eat a dick. I did this on a 104 key. With Leds. That is loving 424 desolders. Id rather never do that again.

nobody made you do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what's supposedly good about that thing in the first place?