Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Hey keyboard thread, I need some pointers on how to repair my keyboard.

It's a das keyboard tenkeyless with mx blues. Some keys on the left side of the keyboard appear to only respond to long keypresses. Also sometimes it appears to "buffer" a keypress. So the first keypress yields no output on screen but the second gives me the "buffered" keypress and the actual second keypress. I've had this happen on multiple USB ports, different machines, MacOS and Windows, so I am confident that it's problem with keyboard itself. Also the problem seems to get worse the longer I use the keyboard.

I have opened the thing, pulled all keycaps and cleaned it thoroughly (including internal connectors) but nothing changed.

What else can I do fix the thing or is it dead? I am already out of the warranty period.

Sounds like some kind of issue with the controller and not the switches. There's not a lot to do to fix that but you could try the PS/2 adapter if you've been using it with USB to see if it speeds things up. I wouldn't expect the behavior to change much but USB can be weird sometimes so there's a slim chance of it helping. If not then I'm not sure there's any fix beyond replacing the controller which isn't trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ultimate Mango posted:

So, I got those vortex doubleshot PBT keycaps for my CODE keyboard.

I think several of you said you had this setup.

The CODE space bar has a metal stabilizer bard (costar stabilizer?). The Vortex keys have extra cherry stem receptacles but no place for the stabilizer to hook into. Can I just not use the space bar keycap, or am I missing something?

Otherwise I think I am about to start pulling and replacing keys!

Most spacebars take inserts that have a little rectangular piece of plastic that the wire from the stabilizer fits into. You may have to pull them out of your old spacebar unless they're somehow built in (I doubt that they are). If you need extras:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Megabound posted:

I have a mate who, due to a motorcycle accident, needs a ergonomic macro pad for his right hand so he can continue to graphic artist comfortably. Something like a logitech G13. I tried to get him into an Ergodox but he doesn't want to spend enthusiast level money. Any recommendations?

You can turn any usb num pad or keyboard into a macro pad with some software and time:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-powerful-programmable-keypad-for-less-tha/

I'm sure the software they mention there would work for gaming keypads also. This one is ugly as hell but looks to be suitable for either hand, and there's a lot more gaming pads on amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/Professional-Singlehanded-Keyboard-Ergonomic-Backlight/dp/B0198CRU1C

Here's a video with one of the linus tech tips editors making an entire keyboard into a macro pad for video editing out of a second keyboard and some labels. He used hidmacros and autohotkey as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn8ExQ2Gjg

The main reason to DIY with a gaming keypad is because most of the mainstream macro pads are over $100 and aren't especially ergonomic:
https://smile.amazon.com/XK-24-USB-Programmable-Keypad-Windows/dp/B003MB780E

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

namaste faggots posted:

I'm intrigued by that prionic keyboard on massdrop right now but only for the retro orange look. What's the big deal? It looks like it comes in pieces and you have to assemble everything yourself.

It's a kit, in that you need to solder the switches through the plate onto the PCB, then put it in the case. It's also got that grid layout which is unusual. There's probably anodized aluminum cases in orange for other more normal keyboards if that's the main thing you like about it, but otherwise those kits are pretty easy to put together if you have basic soldering skills.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

namaste faggots posted:

Lol wtf I'm not soldering poo poo like some foxconn slave. Not for what amounts to like $250 CAD after it's all said and done.

CMON PEOPLE this is 2017 it's not like we're buying Heathkit stereos.

Sorry to break the news but Heathkit is back! They're horribly overpriced for what you get but they're making kits again.
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/product/explorertm-am-trf-am-radio-receiver-solder-kit-black-case-gr-152-bk-25

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You kids and your media buttons. Next you'll want a windows key!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ErikTheRed posted:

I bought this keyset https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07311XJJX for my QuickFire Rapid and it mostly works fine. I have run into one issue which is that the stems on the spacebar stabilizer don't fit snugly so if I hit the spacebar off-center it sometimes gets stuck.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do? Maybe sandwich something between the stems and the key to get a tighter fit?

That's a fairly common issue, I used some small strips of paper to make the inserts stay in the space bar.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tyty posted:

My Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S just crapped out on me. Completely stopped working no lights no nothing. I tried opening it up to see if I could spot a short or anything but the underside of the PCB seems perfectly fine. Incredibly disappointing for a $170CAD keyboard to just loving die 5 months later like that.

I don't have money really right now but I noticed Mechanicalkeyboards has started selling theirs on amazon.ca, without the crazy import costs. If they're still in stock by the time I get paid, would a Disco TKL RGB work well as a replacement?

If it died in only five months it's probably still under warranty, so I'd get in touch with CM. I don't know much about their support but hopefully it'll be inexpensive to get it replaced.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

keevo posted:

So I'm looking to buy a new keyboard since my current one is starting to crap out on me. How did you guys find what switch works for you? I went to my local Frys but all they had were Cherry Red, Browns, and a bunch of other random switches. I liked the Browns but want to try out the other ones before I buy a keyboard. Saw the switch tester on Amazon but was curious to see if there was anything else you guys did.

I bought one keyboard, then another with a different type of switches, then another, etc. I've settled on Cherry MX Greens but I still pick up keyboards from time to time. A switch tester is a good idea to get the idea of how a switch feels compared to others, but it's not a replacement for typing on a keyboard full of that kind of switch.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

How long until I can start intuitively understanding those force graphs :(

When you can hammer your fingertips through a brick wall the force graphs for weakling switches are irrelevant. Living that green/black switch life.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think the CM Quickfire TK was one of the only layouts without a middle cluster but with a numpad I've seen:
https://smile.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00A378L4C/

It didn't come in clears and I'm not sure if they're still in production, hence the high prices if they're available. Unfortunately it's an unusual layout and won't be easy to find.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lawen posted:

A guy at work was showing me his new 60% build with Cherry Greens yesterday. I tried typing on it and immediately gave him a WTF look. He said "oh yeah, I also put 180g springs on all the switches!" (normal Greens are 80g).

:psyduck:

He's either going to have freakishly muscular hands, carpal tunnel, or both.

Just when I thought I was happy with my MX greens...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I decided to try 125g. If only I could 3d print metal springs. Instead I have to wait for the mail.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nice. I'm very interested to see how that goes. Please post your findings!
Where'd you order them from?

I ordered from mechanicalkeyboards.com who are not the cheapest but who have a good selection of the gold plated ones in stock and free shipping in the US. They haven't showed up yet but I'm planning to put them in a board full of blues to make them super clunky and keep my greens board as-is.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Keyboards $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

apologies to @dril

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The windows key was new with Windows 95, so if you typed a lot or learned to game with mouse and keyboard without it, or with an older keyboard, you'd usually hit control and shift and with the side of your hand. When you're hitting control with the meaty bit of your hand below the pinky or the side of your hand it's easy to bump it. Back in the day you'd play a lot of games full screen since borderless windowed was not available (nor would you necessarily run more than one or two things with the memory available at the time). Hitting the windows key would immediately take you to the desktop while your machine thrashed and some games didn't gracefully handle task switching back into fullscreen. That's when I learned to hate the windows key.

That said, I have a CM Storm Quickfire that lets me disable it so I just do that now and it's no longer a big deal. If it was I'd just desolder the switch and 3d print a cover for the hole. I used a 101 key unicomp from 2001 to 2013 or so and only really switched away from buckling spring for n-key rollover and more fun aesthetics.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wolrah posted:

Huh, learn something new every day. I've never seen one for a keyboard.

I'm hoping that's there for the subset who buy these keyboards to use on their collection of old computers, and not that an enthusiast keyboard somehow doesn't get USB NKRO right.

I know a lot of early USB keyboards only implemented the bare minimum HID keyboard spec with 6KRO+modifiers, but that hasn't been an issue even on mainstream gaming keyboards for years so I'd assume enthusiast keyboards are long past that problem.

I think it depends on the keyboard. My CM Storm quickfires from 2013/2014 didn't have NKRO for USB, that's been a more recent addition to a lot of designs. I don't think I saw it on anything until after Soarer figured it out for his converter boards (which was in the same time period). I always kind of wondered if he vanished from geekhack due to someone buying his designs but allowing him to keep the open source stuff out there as long as he never updated it again or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

It's happening again!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/capatoa-keycap-explosion?mode=guest_open

Set your calendars to be deeply disappointed and frustrated on January 26

The amount of expensive keycap sets in ABS already has me disappointed.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Varg posted:

I joined this drop last night for a new kb to use at work - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/durgod-taurus-k320-tkl-mechanical-keyboard
It looks pretty nice for $70 + tax for basic TKL, getting the space gray with brown switches

That looks like a good price point for a TKL with PBT keycaps. The DURGOD name emblazoned on the front is also pretty funny which is either good or bad depending on if you want your keyboard to be fun or serious business.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mewse posted:

Is it true that cherry clears are out of production?

I don't know much about Cherry's production lines but I figure if you can buy 5,000 of them on digikey they're probably still being made.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=MX1A-C1NW&v=1644

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Brownie posted:

What exactly are the differences between Box and not Box Kailh switches? Is it just keycap compatibility or is something else?

As far as I know it's just the slider/stem having a box around the outside to attempt to make the key less wiggly when it's depressed. I haven't used mine yet but here's a picture:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TWBalls posted:

I thought that this was what was used to get around the difficulty of doublshot PBT. The cap itself being PBT and the translucent legend being POM. Or, maybe that's just how Vortex does it?

http://www.vortexgear.tw/vortex2_2.asp?kind=45&kind2=221&kind3=&kind4=1013

It's also used to make whole keycaps, I have a Noppoo choc mini which has POM keycaps by default. They feel pretty good, maybe a little low friction, but they're fine to type on. Not really sure how they'll do over time but I don't use that keyboard heavily.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like this memory foam one, it's got just a little bit of give but it's not squishy like a gel wrist rest. I've had one for about five years and with a little wiping down now and then it's remained in good shape:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E8T4BO/

A lot of mechanical keyboard folks like hard wrist rests so there's a lot of wood ones around:
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_s...d=2CSPUO10MSEO6

Check sizes before you order, a lot of them are for smaller keyboards. There's probably a lot of besoke artisinal ones available on custom keyboard shops but I've never bought one so I don't have a specific recommendation.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Josh Lyman posted:

A tiny bit of liquid sprayed onto my Microsoft Natural 4000 and now multiple keys don't work, so I guess it's dead.

Any suggestions for replacements? I really like the ergonomic split keyboard design, I absolutely need the dedicated volume/mute keys, the dedicated calculator key is just as useful, and the programmable top row of keys means I can launch Notepad and Paint with 1 button which is extremely useful.

With all that in mind, should I just get another Natural 4000?

edit: Best Buy has them for $25 so I'll probably just get another. Part of me wants to buy a backup but that's kinda insane at this time. On the one hand, keyboards do wear out and this one is especially susceptible to liquids, but if it lasts me 4 years like my current one has, it's also reasonable to expect that my preferences might change or Microsoft might come out with an updated version, and even if I don't like the new version, I could buy another 4000 at that time.

$25 though...

If it's got a lot of features you can't live without you should buy four at that price. You'll be hard pressed finding your list of stuff on another keyboard in the future that's not some kind of specialty ergonomic model with programmable keys. It will not cost $25.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Koskun posted:

So I bit the bullet and picked up a used Corsair K70 Gaming version (just red LED's) off ebay for 20 bucks.

Much to my relief, all the keys and switches are in great condition. Only physical issue is one of the stabilizer receivers for the spacebar isn't there, so it catches once in a while. A bit of an actual annoyance, but I'm not sure if it is a part I can find/order to replace. It almost looks like I'd have to take apart the whole keyboard to replace it from the backside.

There are two other issues, but they are not something I'd consider major. The first is the LED's under the keys don't turn on at all. I can go through the 4 phases using the button (dim settings and off), but it only lights up the media keys. I can push the keyboard button, even put it in programming mode, but none of the keys themselves light up.

Related maybe, CUE won't detect it, even though Win10 detected and identified it correctly. I've tried a couple of different USB ports, and even without the passthrough, still nada.

Any suggestions and/or recommendations to help solve these issues?

As my first mechanical, I have to say I REALLY like the responsiveness of the thing. It has Cherry Blues I believe (judging by the stem color). I wouldn't say it is a total night and day difference from what I was using, but it's 99% of the way there to be honest.

Not sure about the lighting but if these parts match what's under your space bar I've gotten stabilizers from: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts.html

I got an almost new $36 noppoo choc mini because one of the stabilizers was broken and I guess they didn't have 50c + s/h to get a replacement themselves.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Would there be any market for a keyboard rental business? Keyboards seem so hard to test aside from being able to use on for a few days, so if a service existed that let you try a keyboard out for a couple of weeks for a fixed fee then swap it out for another, like the original physical DVD Netflix model, would anyone use it?

It seems like the alternative now is to buy the keyboard, then return it if you don't like it.

It sounds like the risks to this model would be the expensive costs of shipping the keyboards all over the place and that they could get destroyed in transit, as well as not having control over how they're treated by the renter.

What other holes can be poked in this idea?

A lot of people won't want grimy keyboards used by other people. Being able to use a switch for a while before buying it is a good idea, I just don't know if mailing the same keyboard to a number of people will get anyone to want to buy one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there's the running joke about blue switches being heard from the space station, but how annoying are they actually to people sitting around you? I'm starting to get some dead springs on my came-with-the-PC keyboard, and all of the cheap mechanicals seem to be blue switches.

They're pretty high pitched so they tend to annoy people. Most switches cost about the same unless you're looking for a weird one, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there really a significant difference between blues and reds/browns for gaming, or is that only if you're trying to be MLG pro?

No, it's bullshit marketing wank. The idea that you may push a key down slower with a click in the middle or have trouble quickly double tapping unless it's a linear switch is garbage. You'll do best with what you're used to. Speed switches with shorter travel and higher actuation points even come in clicky varieties and they basically exist to be "gaming" switches. The only real gaming downside would be if you're streaming and talking and people complain about the noise. If you're not streaming for a living this won't likely matter at all.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Loud typing is the sound of getting poo poo done.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dizz posted:

what if i have those rings that silence tapping? am I being lazy then?

I can't hear you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got one of the Havit low profile boards to try out the low profile Kailh switches and I have to say I really like them. I could take or leave the Havit board itself; the lightning seems flickery and the on-keyboard buttons to control it (while better than software which will definitely not be compatible with anything in 20 years) are confusing with their poorly translated manual that is essentially a pamphlet. The low profile switches are definitely nice feeling and I'm that guy who only likes Model M's, Cherry MX Greens and blacks, and ALPS clicky. I think the shorter travel makes the actuation feel more definitive.

I'd love to do a project to fit these onto a laptop but that's one of those things I'll probably never get around to because it would involve a bunch of heavy chassis modification and 3d printing a whole fat middle piece for the laptop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Got my Velocifire TKL01. It's going to take some adjusting since the keys are actually slightly smaller than the keyboard I was using before, but it's nice. The spacebar is really light, though. The switch itself doesn't seem any lighter than any of the other ones when I take the bar off and press the switch itself, is it just that the extra mass of the space bar causes it to be easier to actuate? It's also not too much louder than the keyboard I was using before, which is nice.

Some keyboard makers use a heavier switch of the same type for the space bar to combat the extra weight. For example, the MX Green is the spacebar switch for a MX Blue keyboard, Black for Red, Grey for Black, Clear for Brown, etc. Not every manufacturer does that but it used to be common before the new mechanical renaissance (like 2012 and on when everyone started making them). I think Cherry was probably surprised when people started buying hundreds of their spacebar switches for full board use.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Might be. It always worked when I pressed directly on the switch.

What’s the heavier version of a brown? I might see about snagging one of those in a while. I keep accidentally jumping in games because I’m used to resting my thumb on the space bar.

E: I'm dumb, just noticed you said that's a clear.

Single switches are pretty cheap (I mean, buying them in bulk is a lot cheaper but if you just need one or two paying WASDkeyboards' markup isn't bad).
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts.html

You can also mod them with heavier springs (which again are usually bought in bulk) but since it requires desoldering the original switch it's probably just less trouble to swap it for a clear if you want to.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My CM Storm quickfire rapid is 5 years old and still working great. I have some 30+ year old IBM Model M's but I still think that five years with no problems still speaks well for Cooler Master. I'm pretty sure these were made by Costar who also makes Filco and some other keyboards so I can't say that they'll all be the same quality but the nice thing about mechanical keyboards is that they're usually able to be fixed as long as they don't have a weird controller problem.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

Does one hand go on each number pad?

Gotta math fast.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a Durgod tenkeyless, a bag of box navy switches, and a soldering iron. I'm gonna do a thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm considering being really stupid and buying into my first Kickstarter, in particular for the Wooting Two. It seems to tick all my boxes, looks plain, RGB, cool gimmick analogue poo poo I will maybe use, very well spaced FN media keys, and extra macro keys. Hotswappable keys is neat too. Their last kickstarter was a great success and they have gone onto being a regular company, but I am still obviously reserved. Does anyone know if they're secretly poo poo or something?

Upgrading from an og 2012 Razer Blackwidow lmao. Contrary to Razer expectations (the thing is built by a solid OEM and before they went pseudo-inhouse), it's been absolutely loving invincible. Cannot believe the amount of times I or my friends have spilt drinks all over it and I just chuck it in a soapy bucket and sit it out to dry, and I've rebuilt it PCB up on one occasion.

I haven't tried one but it seems like a neat idea. The Chyrosran video on the Wooting One made me want to try one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQAw4kYNIE

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gay Horney posted:

let it go, friend. you don't need a seven year old keyboard

Nah it's good for another 20, 30+ years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dietrich posted:

So I bought one of these -> http://a.co/6IwYde6 and I am very happy with it, a 100% cherry MX red for <$40 bucks? Sold!

Only problem is the keycaps aren't super awesome. So I went looking to buy some keycaps, and it seems like a set of keycaps are way more expensive than this entire assembled board, which is a bit of a head-scratcher for me.

Is there a source for good keycaps for a reasonable price or should I just deal with these?

There's a lot of inexpensive keycap sets. The expensive sets are usually doubleshot PBT (although some are doubleshot ABS). ABS will wear smooth in months or years while PBT resists it for much longer so it's considered better, but it also warps while cooling so it can be harder for companies to produce space bars. There's a premium on PBT caps. Some keycaps are also not doubleshot and just had pad printing on them, which will wear off relatively quickly. Some are also laser etched and infilled with some paint which can discolor over time but lasts a lot longer than pad printing.

Anyway, you should get colors and legends you like, but try to get at least ABS doubleshot. Pad printing and etching isn't as common as it once was, at least in enthusiast keycap sets (it still comes that way on lots of keyboards to save manufacturing costs or because it's good enough for a retail POS or whatever).
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=cherry+mx+keycaps&_sacat=0

I think my most expensive set was the Sanctuary set which I got right before Diablo 3 released (from a groupbuy, not massdrop, but they're probably the same maker):
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sanctuary-dcs-keyset

My favorite colors and legends remain a dark dolch style, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't it 2 key rollover as well?

Yeah, although the WASD area doesn't have a huge amount of conflict. I used to game on my unicomp a lot and it was mostly a problem when I wanted to hit tab or use other keys. It was my main reason to switch to a more modern keyboard. Of course at the time I thought getting a 122 key model f (which have n-key rollover) on ebay for ~130 bucks was too expensive, and now five years later they go for almost $300. D'oh.